PDA

View Full Version : Dragonair MAN F/O P60 question

Norman Goering
6th May 2007, 00:05
I'm being very rude here, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

Are there any KA MAN based 744 F/O's willing to post or PM me the figures from their latest P60 tax statement for year ended 2007? I'm after the gross total and net totals.

I appreciate that perhaps noone will be willing to do so and I fully respect that. I'm due to go for my 2nd interview shortly but have grave concerns over the double tax issue and need to know whether it is even worth paying the (not inconsiderable) travel costs to attend it, notwithstanding the other issues already read and raised. When I e-mailed Dragonair about the double tax I was informed that the situation was still unclear.......

Many thanks for taking time to even read this post.....

Dan Winterland
6th May 2007, 03:08
KA MAN based crews are paid in HK and as such are not issued P60s. There is a statement of pay received which the individual is required to present to the HK Inland Revenue Department for the calcualtion of their HK tax and those would normally be sent to the Tax Office of the country they are resident in for calcualtion of their tax. So any statement will just show Gross, as HK doesn't have PAYE and as far as KA are concerned (were concerned!) tax matters are the individual's responsibility.

In October, as you're probably aware, the situation changes. PAYE will be deducted (and Class 1 NI as well probably) so one would assume a sort of P60will be issued at the end of the tax year.

AFAIK, the tax situation is unclear - as KA has told you. No-one knows if you will have UK rates of PAYE deducted and then have to pay the HK tax at the end of the year just to have a reduction of your UK tax the following year (assuming you are a UK resident and will be liable for UK tax), or whether the UK tax man will let the company deduct PAYE with the HK element removed.

Norman Goering
6th May 2007, 22:40
Dan,
Thanks for that most useful update.
As you say, most unpleasant, whichever way it cuts. I'm not a UK resident but would have to claim back (or try to anyway), the difference at the end of each tax year between my tax domicle and the UK. I just can't see that any potential job gain is worth taking the risk of financial ruin for......:(

Norman Goering
7th May 2007, 22:17
UKOK,

Thanks for the response - an aspect I wasn't aware of although I have to say, my mind is pretty much made up that my future lies elsewhere. A shame as I truly had high hopes and aspirations in working for Dragonair (if successful in my 2nd interview!).

I wish you and your colleagues all the best for your future success and obvious challenges....

NG