PDA

View Full Version : RAF's uber-political correctness drive...

harrogate
5th May 2007, 18:05
http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=57C4789F-1143-EC82-2ED40B451A6C40BD
Look! An asian girl sat in a tucano. Hopefully she'll sign up and make that whole Iraq and Afghanistan thing seem all OK.

And, yes, that's another asian girl hugging a vicar.

PC overkill?

BEagle
5th May 2007, 18:13
Read the full article, you ar$e!

Here's an extract:

The event was organised as part of the 'Aim Higher' initiative by the base's partners REEMAP (Raising Educational Ethnic Minority Achievement Partnership).

Although the news is full of stories about under achievement amongst Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) young people, REEMAP has been doing something about it since its inception in 2002; looking to address parent's concerns over the performance of their charges especially in High School.

PPRuNeUser0211
5th May 2007, 18:49
Harrogate...

Linton has (for quite a while now!) been doing loads of fantastic work with kids from inner-city leeds/bradford areas, lots of support from the station as a whole generally to provide facilities for them to get out and about, do camps etc etc. It's a great example of what every station in the RAF should be doing. (And it doesn't take up that much manpower before you say anything! There's a couple of guys who run with it full time who used to be recruiters. That aside, they borrow a few studes or a pti or 3 once in a while, but that's it!)

London Mil
5th May 2007, 18:53
Harrogate, you're wrong.

Prop-Ed
5th May 2007, 19:59
So Harrogate,

Self debrief, how do you think that one went?.........

Yes, I think you’ll have to repeat that one. Better luck next time!

Sven Sixtoo
5th May 2007, 20:22
WTF CUW TLA BME AAB?

SVE
n

The Helpful Stacker
5th May 2007, 23:08
Plenty of “'Aim Higher' initiative” for the BME – How much initiative for other parts of our deprived communities? There are loads of struggling communities around and they get no help at all.

You must be sat down as that came out a little muffled.:ugh:

My wife is the Aim Higher coordinator for her school (in a very middle class and predominantly white part of the world). Aim Higher is open to all schools and there are very few schools that don't participate. The fact that Bradford has a large Asian community could go someway to explain why the pupils in one of its school are (stand by to write your ranting letter to the Daily Wail) Asian.

harrogate
6th May 2007, 07:36
Being a despised journo, I was merely criticising the picture selection.

They're being used out of context as I speak. Especially the hug shot.

stillin1
6th May 2007, 08:11
Could have been worse Harrogate! What if they were gay welsh vegatarian tree huggers:E ? Then the padre would not be smiling quite so much.
PS. I think the despised Journo thing only started after the post!

Chris Kebab
6th May 2007, 08:58
...maybe Harrogate you would now like to push off to a forum more suited to journo types. What you doing here, fail to get in?

Cumbrian Fell
6th May 2007, 12:52
I understand the good work that the CRO at Linton on Ouse is doing, but I am afraid that these 'soft power' articles that clog up the MOD website are not news, especially when compared wiht Army stories of, say, killing lots of Taliban and ones from the Navy, err, looking at maps (sorry - charts!). These initiatives are unlikely to deter the likes of Omah Khyam and his 21/7 ilk from wanting to kill fellow British subjects. Where are the photo ops of Harriers and helos in action in Afghanistan, for example?
Indeed, if I were cynical, I'd suspect that someone at Linton is gagging for an MBE or OBE...

storl tern
6th May 2007, 13:40
I think that the bigger concern is how OASC and DIOT (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) manage to let nerds in as flying officers! (Apologies to the said nerds who I am sure are stout fellows who support the bar every Friday evening and regularly take part in mess games to get their mess dress ripped to shreds). Jeez, where are the lantern jawed, hirsute, super heroes at the moment???

Maple 01
6th May 2007, 14:42
Jeez, where are the lantern jawed, hirsute, super heroes at the moment???

She's on E3s*

*comment for comedy effect only

Brain Potter
6th May 2007, 16:32
The CRO at Linton-on-Ouse is clearly excellent at getting publicity for the Stn out of every minor happening in that part of Yorkshire - most of which is not core business. That is part of his/her job and it is being done commendably well.
However, as a consequence, it seems like every 3rd "news" article on the RAF website originates from L-O-O and an outsider would think it was the biggest/most important/busiest unit in the service. As ever, it would appear to be that those involved in more newsworthy deeds have little time or inclination for the attendant self-publicity. I guess the website works like a stn magazine in that the most prolific contributors invariably receive the most column-inches. I can't help feeling though that the news section of the RAF website should be more reflective of service-wide activities and not be skewed towards units with the time to create publicity.
Well done Linton - but that's enough for now thanks.

Cumbrian Fell
7th May 2007, 14:24
Brain Potter - I concur most heartily with your comments. But has anyone taken the time to read the article on thwe abovementioned link?
REEMAP Chief Executive Patrick Salami added "In terms of BME education, the establishment of REEMAP is perhaps one of the most important events of the last 10 years.
Death by a thousand cuts!

Something about going 'sausage side' perhaps?

tablet_eraser
7th May 2007, 14:52
Indeed, if I were cynical, I'd suspect that someone at Linton is gagging for an MBE or OBE...

After seeing 'someone's' 'advice' to other people toiling in the youth activities field at Cranwell last year, I suspect you might be right.

Basil
8th May 2007, 08:21
Anyway, she isn't hugging the vicar; she's been out fishing and is saying "Sir, I swear, pomfret was this big but he got away!" :)

BEagle,
you ar$e!
Steady on - the poor chap has probably never even flown for BA :}