PDA

View Full Version : Question for the military rotor guys...

tegwin
5th May 2007, 10:18
Sorry if this is a bit off toppic but can anyone offer some advice?

Short background:
Im 18, just compelted my PPL(H) and really really want to fly turbine helicopters in the most challenging and difficult situations possible, quite simply because I like a challenge and enjoy scaring the :mad: out of myself.....I could take out an enormous loan and pay for the CPL stuff myself but then I wouldnt have much experience, no turbine time etc...

Now logically going into one of the services would provide adventure, challenge and the awsome flying that im after, but....which service does the most challenging and varied rotory flying?

And is it wrong that the only reason I want to join the services is because I want to fly helicopters and not because I want to fight for my country etc?

Any comments or advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

N.B....This is not an argument about which one of the services is the "best"...you all do a great job and wouldnt really work without each other!

ZH875
5th May 2007, 10:27
and really really want to fly turbine helicopters in the most challenging and difficult situations possible, quite simply because I like a challenge and enjoy scaring the :mad: out of myself.....

With that reason to fly HM's finest wokkas, I suggest you stay in Civvy Street. Military flying is probably too much regulated for you.:ugh:

Pontius Navigator
5th May 2007, 10:37
scaring the :mad: out of me too.:\

airborne_artist
5th May 2007, 10:54
Tegwin - as I said on your thread on Rotorheads, the only service where you can be almost 100% certain of plenty of RW flying is the Navy. The RAF statistically will stream more people to FW, and the AAC officers don't fly for long. There is no direct entry from civvy strasse to the AAC NCO pilot cadre, AFIAK.

Get down to the recruiting office, ask for a potential officers visit to Culdrose or Yeovilton, and make up your mind.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
5th May 2007, 11:23
But he did say
really really want to fly turbine helicopters in the most challenging and difficult situations possible, Surely that doesn't include sitting in the dip or circling at 8000ft with the AP on! :E

timex
5th May 2007, 11:46
Im 18, just compelted my PPL(H) and really really want to fly turbine helicopters in the most challenging and difficult situations possible, quite simply because I like a challenge and enjoy scaring the out of myself.....

Sorry mate but if you are into scaring yourself then go and do it..somewhere else. You will "never" fly solo so that means you will have some poor sod with you or possibly in the back!
And is it wrong that the only reason I want to join the services is because I want to fly helicopters and not because I want to fight for my country etc?
Yes. Thats why its called the MILITARY No one expects to fight but given the current climate what would you think?

So in the end all you want is a toy to play with and a cheap way to get some flying hours..........

Go and mature for a few years
Shaun

wokkameister
5th May 2007, 17:34
As a military pilot, particularly military, you will be expected to be a leader and provide inspiration to your crew.

Can't say I really want to follow you. Good luck with civvy street.

Wokka

Sven Sixtoo
5th May 2007, 20:48
Have to say I agree with the lines above.

I have done 27 years of RAF helicopters. I have been scared more often than I like to remember. I have several medals for turning up in silly places and I don't want any more. I have no medals for bravery and I want to keep it that way.

I believe my rearcrew support me in that approach.

Sven

PTC REMF
5th May 2007, 21:13
really really want to fly turbine helicopters in the most challenging and difficult situations possible, quite simply because I like a challenge and enjoy scaring the out of myself...

If you get on my cab with that attitude, I'll shoot you myself.

GreenKnight121
6th May 2007, 00:48
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots... but there are no old, bold pilots."

And even fewer living thrill-seeker pilots (at least not living for long).

Tourist
6th May 2007, 08:07
Absolute b@llocks.

Most of us joined with that attitude, and it is the duty of flying training to to temper that enthusiasm into exactly what we need.
What we need is a lot more people like him, and a few less health and safety conscious smug w@nkers!

And don't give me the "I joined to fight for my country " cr@p. We all joined to challenge ourselves and have fun, secretly hoping it would be a bit like Top Gun.

Seriously, the smug idiots on here need to take a look at themselves.
I would rather 1 person with this attitude joined than 100 wheezy, computer geek, unfit wannabies worried about OASC etc.

Tegwin, there are plenty of old bold pilots, they are too busy sh@gging girls half their age to waste time posting with the losers on here. Give it a go

Junglynx
6th May 2007, 08:18
I joined up for the challenge, but also because at that point in time I was idealistic and enthusiastic *shakes head* and believed in my country.

The point you're missing is that the challenge IS the fighting for your country. You'll do training in the UK, and aside from the odd bit of low level, nothing earth shaking.

When you go on Ops and the noise complaints are conducted with AK47's, life does indeed become a bit more challenging. It's why I'm still happy to go abroad. Though I agree with the above, I'll take the tin for being there, getting anything else just means it's all gone wrong!

timex
6th May 2007, 10:05
Most of us joined with that attitude, and it is the duty of flying training to to temper that enthusiasm into exactly what we need.
What we need is a lot more people like him, and a few less health and safety conscious smug w@nkers!

Tourist I've flown with too many would be "Top Gun" wannabees. How many times do they have to overcook it before it all goes wrong..sod all to do with health and safety.

Shaun

Tightly Wound
6th May 2007, 11:19
Must say, I totally agree with Tourist.

You are right chaps, we don't want fists full of nutbaggery in command of good military kit so they can break it and frighten the pax.....BUT we do need people with this level of enthus. so we can finish their long and difficult training with a chap who is still motivated (who probably maturer due to the experience).

Live on a different island to you but the requirement is the same. Have trained mil pilots for a while and wish they were as keen as this.

Cheers

:ok:

Tourist
6th May 2007, 11:46
Shaun,

I am not saying they should still be exactly like that by the time they get front line, that is for flying training to sort out, but there is nothing wrong with the attitude before joining.

You may not like it, but Gung Ho people form the basis of any decent military force, particularly your own Royals!

See what happened recently in Iran. A shortage of gung ho in all quarters.
Contrast with strapping booties to the outside of Apache. If it had failed it would have been held up as an example of all that is wrong with gung ho boldness.

BUT IT DID NOT. And that is what makes the british military great.

Cabbage Patch Kid
6th May 2007, 15:48
Guys, give the kid a break. I was like that when I joined up, some of my rear-crew would argue that I still am. I am a little jealous that he can afford his own PPL(H) but we will gloss over that.

Although the tone of his enthusiasm is obviously going to rub the old and bold up the wrong we still, despite the best efforts of many governments, have a very effective training system which will hopefully contain and direct his energies in the right direction.

That being said, the points about the Army Aviation world are true from my point of view, the Lynx is dead, long live another Lynx; the RN don't get the chance to do anything really interesting not withstanding the boys in BAS so join the Air Force I say but then I am biased where by the time he is through training he will be ready for the invasion of Iran and may see more excitement than he hoped for. You have got to really want it though.

Good Luck.

FayeDeck
7th May 2007, 15:27
Mate, go for it.

There are a lot of miserable old gits here who resent your attitude, maybe you do need to grow up a bit, but military flying training will get your attitude where it should be.

A lot of RW folks are failed FW and have a sad attitude to go with that, dont listen to them.:cool:

I fully agree that RN is the way to go if you purely want to fly, then RAF followed by AAC.

If you want to command people, consider the AAC first.

If you want to have lots of time off and wear chip bag hats, the RAF is the way ahead.:E

wokkameister
7th May 2007, 18:20
Hmmm,

Most FW are failed Rotary. Fact-In a number of cases I have watched them pack.
Most RN are failed RAF. If you want to fly, join a flying service. If your marginal, join a service that barely floats, and does a bit of flying on the side, as long as it's not too hot/not too high.
The taste is in the pudding.

Two RAF Personnel, captured in GW1. Had **** beaten out them...said very little.
RN personnel, taken hostage by the Iranians having put up NO resistance, said anything it took to get their Ipod back/Get the balti away from Turny's grazing.

airborne_artist
7th May 2007, 18:51
Most RN are failed RAF good baiting, but unlike most loadies you are talking total cobblers

Two RAF Personnel, captured in GW1. Had **** beaten out them...said very little. True, and perhaps not surprising considering they'd had appropriate training

RN personnel, taken hostage by the Iranians having put up NO resistance, said anything it took Don't believe all you read in the Sun/hear on Al Jazeera. My info is that the RM lads said nothing, and it's likely that only two of the RN said anything. We were not at war with Iran, so they had nothing to hide.

Go for it Tegwin. Too many talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

wokkameister
7th May 2007, 18:54
Hmmm, thought I only mentioned the RN, not RM.
As your profile says you are here to kill and fly a boxkite, perhaps we should have launched you in an Eagle Claw attempt to free the balti munchers.
Or perhaps you could have painted them in their nice grey suits.

Too many give up walking the line, to take up talking a good line!

eagle 86
8th May 2007, 00:16
I spent a good percentage of 20 plus years teaching RW studs of all three services ab initio and operational flying - it is hard to tell from the lad's post what his character is really like - a bit of youthful bravado perhaps to cover up a real fear of failure. But a couple of words - in this day and age if you join the military be prepared to fight. In my experience those with overt bravado generally were covering up a weakness and some of the bravest I have seen were some of the quietest.
GAGS
E86

Rude C'man
8th May 2007, 07:08
wokka meister , youre a pr@t , it's NCA like you that the branch has tried to get rid, of in the last few years. All I can think is that you're a very young inexperienced little boy who didn't listen to some of the older and bolder at NCAITC 55 sqn 60 Sqn or the OCF. Grow up get a life and stop baiting others. If you cant say anything constructive then shut the **** up. If I ever have the displeasure of flying with you I'll teach you how a real LM, that wears the proper brevet, respects all those around him/her.[pass the fire axe please]
Mate . If you wanna fly in the military go for!! , curb the attitude a bit , scaring yourself and others wont earn you respect , be loyal open honest and respectful of others will. Good luck and don't let the buggers put you off. Good luck.

Lafyar Cokov
8th May 2007, 10:41
This is not an argument about which one of the services is the "best"...you all do a great job and wouldnt really work without each other!
Whoops - PPrune thread descends into bitter inter-service name calling shocker!!!!!

wokkameister
8th May 2007, 12:37
Bit shocked at your venom Rude. Especially as we have actually worked together for several years.
Whilst you are up at Cranditz with your head in the PTC bucket, I am doing tour after tour in the sandpit.
We need an unstable pilot with no military ethos like we need a box for an elephant.
Don't forget where you came from, and that things have changed since you left.
Now dry your eyes, think about falling out your bunk on the O Boat and we'll have a drink at the next crewmans dinner.

PS: put the fire axe down, I offered you the chance on the quarterdeck and you found somewhere else you had to be!

Red Line Entry
8th May 2007, 18:12
Tegwin,

There's nothing wrong at all with not wanting to fight for your country - I hope none of us actually 'wants' to. However, if you're going to join us then you ultimately have to be prepared to do so. That may involve killing people and having people trying to kill you.

Yes, the life and the flying can be great fun - but they both come with a committment that has a very good chance of being called upon.

If you can accept that - go for it.

Tightly Wound
9th May 2007, 00:33
WM, How many people join the military with military ethos, or for that matter know what it is these days. In the current climate I thought Mil ethos was taught and developed after one joined and if it was not instillable or not accepted the individual was removed from training or left the service.

I don't ever remember being told I didn't have enough Mil ethos when I joined, and in fact I don't remember ever being described as a stable/unstable pilot before I had any mil flying training.

It is clear that you have flown with some pilots who may not have paid you the respect you feel you are due or some pilots who are not Yeager, and that is unfortunate. But we should remember that on page one is a guy who asked about military aviation and not about your opinion of him and his attitude.

I find it hard to believe, given some of your comments of late, that you didn't say some things that might not have been wise when you were 18/19. Lets leave the psych assessments to the recruiters mate.

TEGWIN, have a lash mate, at least then you can say you had a go. If you are worried about the attitudes here then take a trip down under, plenty of mil flying training available. If you get chopped you can PM Wokkameister and tell him he was right, if not you'll be...

Quote:
....too busy sh@gging girls half [your] age to waste time posting with the losers on here. Give it a go

bad livin'
9th May 2007, 08:22
Tightlywound...

I'd suggest that if he is "sh@gging girls half his age" the only place he'll be going is jail...

ShyTorque
9th May 2007, 09:58
You're right - that's really a "spec. aircrew only" perk. ;)

(Do they still have spec aircrew and if not, is this why)?

Wader2
9th May 2007, 10:38
bad livin, it was the OLD pilots sh*gging girls half their age - that would make them somewhere between 20 and 27 :}

wokkameister
9th May 2007, 17:42
Tightlywound,

Some fair points and put in a very eloquent style. It wasn't just the attitude to military life that made me add my twopenneth, but also the fact that 'he enjoys scaring himself'.
Having had the joys of teaching at DHFS, I can tell you that some people with this attitude do sneak through and cause prematurely graying amongst many.
As for not getting the respect I may deserve, that bothers me not a jot. You give what you get, but an honest answer is worth far more than false hope. I'd expect one from you!

9th May 2007, 19:47
Tegwin, if you want to get properly involved in the battlefield then join the AAC and go for Apache - everything else is just glorified truck driving. You can get shot at on SH but at least with an AH64 you can give as good as you get - pilots don't even get to fire the weapons on SH!

Strange how the FAA only like the RM BAS now they own and man it - they used to look down their noses at NCO pilots and then had to swallow their pride and commission them all.

Join the RN if you want shagged out Sea King SH or Merlin ASW (without a torpedo to fire).

Join the RAF if you want a lot of time abroad moving bergens and pax or if you think you have the skills and nerve to be a SAR god:)

Rude C'man
9th May 2007, 21:26
Wokka meister--
Qoute -Whilst you are up at Cranditz with your head in the PTC bucket, I am doing tour after tour in the sandpit.
We need an unstable pilot with no military ethos like we need a box for an elephant.
Don't forget where you came from, and that things have changed since you left.

Up at Cranditz with my head in a bucket I've learnt that the moulding and development of young men and women is a skill , obviously from your short time at instructing, at that oh so wonderfull DHFS Sqn ,they taught you little about honing that desire to fly.
I agree with you totally!! you have enough egotistical idiots flying the best helicopter Ive operated on. Oh boy I hear about them daily.However unlike you I decided that after 18 yrs front line service , ground and air! it was time to pass my experiences onto these young thrusters who wish to join our merry throng. (and take a well earned break with my kid)
It wasnt venom it was how I felt , theres only four people who decides if this young chap has it or not , DIOR, OACTU, 55 then OCF, by the time its got to your end it SHOULD be sorted. I have never forgot where I came from and what I was like , thats why EVERYONE deserves the right chnce to prove themsilves.

I know its rich coming from me, but give the kid a chance , all he might need is development and eductaion, let those well before you do there job and then if he cant make it on the SQN you do yours. I KNOW you do it well.

For the record , the bunk story always goes down a storm and on the quarter deck , I was afraid to chip any more of your teeth!! Now go throw another shrimp on the barbey , or shake the sand out yer socks. Or do what hooch and I are doing , get a job in civvy street and kiss the ****ty life goodbye matey!!
BY the way I can get you a box for that elephant..... if you so wish .

Any way your elephants have enough problems from the mister masters you have to put up with ,

Must go , have a poorly leg that needs attention
take care big fella , keep yer head down and ill try get down sometime , if you fancy a break from the sand and want a week away gis us a shout

Hummingfrog
9th May 2007, 21:27
Aaah I used to be a SAR god but now I'm just very well paid and don't have to go into the Cairngorms at night in between snow showers:eek:

HF

Winch-control
9th May 2007, 21:52
Must be Lossie based, the st of us don't dodge the showers, just get the job done. Btw, not your fault your almost as quiet as Wattisham...
In answer to the question, if you wanna be be a rotary pilot, then go go go. !!!!!

tegwin
9th May 2007, 22:26
Chears guys for all your replies...even if some are contradicting and rather destrubing:8

In my origional post I didnt mean that I want to scare the :mad: out of myself intentionally...I like to push my flying skills to their limit to get the best out of the machine and the situation without overspanking anything...the last thing I want is a big black mark in my logbook! Im sure you can all appreciate the learning curve im on...I have got my liscense yes, but does it mean I am a good pilot?...NO:=...But practice and some pointers will hopefully make me just that eventually!

Since starting the thread I have re-read all of the leaflets, websites etc and it really does look like an attractive career, not just for the flying, but also for the adventure...I see it as a way to see the "real world" somehow and would use it as a tool to imrpove myself and "grow up a bit".....

Although the RAF is attractive at the end of the day its most likley to be the RN...but im still undecided...

I guess I should try and get hold of my local office and see if I can get an apointment to see someone with some answers...

No doubt what I have just written will be pulled appart and analysed before I am accused of being imature again:ok:

Chears guys/girls.

10th May 2007, 05:03
Tegwin - no, you are doing exactly the right thing ie getting as much info as possible before you make your decision. A word of warning however, the careers offices (or whatever we are calling them nowadays) have always tried to recruit into the areas where manning is short and so they may push you towards what they want rather than what is best for you.

As for the RN, well that's up to you but look at how many of their pilots transfer to the RAF, leave early for the airlines or get on QHI courses to get away from going to sea.

I would suggest trying to visit some flying stations (just a letter to the CO usually gets you in) to see first hand what goes on and talk to the guys doing the jobs.

eagle 86
10th May 2007, 06:23
Yes there is no doubt Air Forces have it easier than the other two services!!
GAGS
E86

Pontius Navigator
10th May 2007, 06:35
I can't comment on Eagles unqualified statement but:

in the RAF you will always get more aircrew together on a unit. In the RN you may be more likely to serve on an isolated flight were aircrew are a minority. As for AAC no idea.

eagle 86
10th May 2007, 07:04
PN
Right bait eh! Unqualified I don't think so - Navy pilot, flown three tours including RSVN with Air force and US Army - flew with RN - QHI course at Ternhill (took out the Westland prize) - civvy instructor with army - many multi service exercises - saw how the others lived. Qualified to comment but a bit of a windup anyway.
GAGS
E86

Pontius Navigator
10th May 2007, 07:55
Eagle, you bit, sorry you picked up on the wrong meaning of unqualified.

I meant your statement was unqualified not that you were unqualified. I did check your profile first.

eagle 86
10th May 2007, 08:05
PN,
Touche - no offence meant - nothing wrong with a bit of inter service banter - all the boy's (oops better be PC!) and girl's of all nations/services are doing a great job under difficult circumstances.
GAGS
E86

Pontius Navigator
10th May 2007, 08:11
Eagle, would you now like to qualify your statement both for my education and others?

I have a vague idea of the RN Helo aspects, ditto RAF, but scarcely a clue about AAC.

mustflywillfly
10th May 2007, 08:34
Tegwin,

Remember that you will need to unlearn all the RW flying for a while whatever service you join.

If you join the RN you will have to get through Flying Grading whilst under Initial Officer Training, this is fixed wing. If you pass that you will then have to pass Elementary Flying Training - approx 65 hours Fixed Wing. Then and only then will you go to RAF SHAWBURY for RW training. You may have a PPL (H) and that has no doubt developed your airmanship, air sense etc and of course RW skills but get at least a couple of hours in a fixed wing prior to training (if you pass selection).

I breezed the fixed wing stuff but stumbled on RW, make sure you don't stumble the other way round!!!

Cheers and good luck with your application.

MFWF :ok:

wokkameister
10th May 2007, 09:07
Tegwin - It would seem from your last post that you have the ability to learn, and adapt. That should stand you in good stead. Whilst we can all give you advice, conflicting or not...It is pretty arbitary.
If you are not committed to completing the process, and making it to the front line, with whichever service you choose, you probably won't achieve it anyway.
Think very carefully about where you would like to be in 5 years, and what options you would like to have.
All the services have there particular merits, though if your not the bayonet clenched between the teeth type, then maybe SAR (RAF or RN) may be for you.
The military may have the attraction of flying for a living, but has it's downsides too. Time away, and the fact that you can't just leave when you want too. Anyway, remember my original comment....You will be expected to lead and inspire others.

Rude - Nice to see you back with the program, I get your points but my days are oft filled with the ones that get away. Mines a Yellow!

WM

airborne_artist
10th May 2007, 09:24
Tegwin - MustFly is bang on - read and understand his post. If you do decide to join any of the Services, keep your current RW experience to yourself until you've got some way into the system. I'm sure you are a good, safe pilot, but that doesn't mean you fly the way the RN/RAF/AAC want you to fly. Don't think that your PPL(H) means anything, particularly to QFIs who have been flying for longer than you might have been alive.

You'll be quicker to learn for the first 15-20 hours, but after that you'll find the playing field levels out - be prepared for that.

tegwin
10th May 2007, 14:04
Chears for that 'Mustfly.' I hadnt realised that there is quite that much FW training....Thats going to be a nightmare getting all of the RW stuff out of my head...I can just imagine forgetting where I am and trying to land a FW on a helipad:ugh:

If I pass selection I will deffinately bash out a couple of hours FW if its going to make my life easier!

What exactly is flying grading? Is it just a basic training to see if you actually have any potential to fly etc?

and

Is the FW elementary traning up to IFR, and multi-engine type level? I guess that would make sence...

Chears for your input all:ok:

airborne_artist
10th May 2007, 14:14
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/AirSafetyandAviation/UKMFTS/UkmftsRoyalNavyFlyingTraining.htm tells all.

Grading is a 10-12 hours assessment of your trainability, up to about first solo standard FW, though you won't get to go solo. It finishes with an assessed/test sortie, but is assessed all the way through. The web page is out of date, as 727 (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2253) has moved to Yeovilton.

eagle 86
10th May 2007, 22:07
PN,
Standing joke in my part of the world that air force crews motel it while the grunts dig holes and the Pussers are accomodated on the Grey Funnel Line.
GAGS E86

Pontius Navigator
11th May 2007, 06:16
Eagle,

I was told that in GW I three units were all sent down town to secure a building.

Army unit blacked up, got the kit, surrounded the building, blew doors in, went in, grenade in every room, few rounds 7.62, returned - "Building secure Sir."

Navy went in, shut windows, turned out lights, locked doors. "Building secure Sir."

Air Force went in, 5* hotel, booked all the rooms and negotiated long term lease. "Building secure Sir."

eagle 86
11th May 2007, 07:15
PN,
Yep about right.
GAGS
E86

Tightly Wound
11th May 2007, 11:02
WM, All good points, all well argued.

Cheers

TW

samuraimatt
11th May 2007, 14:11
You will be expected to lead and inspire others. You should be a comedian. When have you ever seen that happen?

ProfessionalStudent
12th May 2007, 18:23
Tegwin
Whilst I think the "scaring yourself" comment was a little misguided and would no doubt earn you a windmilling debrief should you be successful and still harbour those thoughts (though you later qualified your statement), I think it is admirable that you demonstrate a little "spunk".

I strongly believe that today's RAF recruits too few characters and too many grey men. I would still rather deploy and fight with a high average pilot who's a top bloke and has something about him (or her, sister) than a Stick Ninja who would rather have a good night in with the Aircrew Manual and a glass of milk.

As others have said, your civvy flying hours will give you little or no advantage in the military system. Save your money and spend it on chasing women down town and enjoy your youth before it gets stolen by the military! Making best use of that "spunk", if you will.:E

If you are successful, make sure your helicopter is green. Junglie, AH or RAF SH. Get amongst it. Making the best of that "spunk", if you will.:ok:

wokkameister
14th May 2007, 11:45
Bit to much use of the word spunk for my liking.

ProfessionalStudent
14th May 2007, 21:26
wokkameister

Come again mate?

I didn't think you could get enough of it!;)

And don't go throwing any of that nav banter my way either!:p

LynxDriver
15th May 2007, 14:35
I'm not sure that the AAC would be an immediate option for you tegwin. I got into the AAC after spending 5 years with the Royal Signals. I'm not sure what happens these days having been out of the military for some time but I don't think you can join the army and move straight into the AAC.

airborne_artist
15th May 2007, 15:30
I don't think you can join the army and move straight into the AAC

You can if you go in as a Rupert.

http://www.army.mod.uk/armyaircorps/officer_career.htm

Pablo941
24th May 2007, 11:14
M8...i looked at all the services and thoughts that any sevice is great for helicopters...though if you want the adrenaline at home only id go for the RAF...but if you want to make a difference on land then its the army and in the fleet air arm youd chase pirates and the like...but Navy have best training and most operative...though what ever service you go into your best just buying your own and trying to loan your skills to MAF when ur not busy if possible (though havent looked into this) - the military only give you enough hours to keep you up unfortunately - things cost!

All the best

havick
24th May 2007, 12:09
Pablo, and what operational experience do you base your advice on apart from reading brochures yourself?
Tegwin, I would take professional students' advice. Get amongst it and have fun chasing the girls and drinking pi$$ 'now'. Civvie hours do not count for anything once you're in (except maybe a few to show to your board members motivation for flying), and I know that for a fact coming from a civvie rotary background and being at the tail end of the long pilots course (aussie - RAN) as we speak. Might I add, that unlearning almost a thousand hours of habits and re-learning them the Mil way can be trying, so I would suggest not doing too much training at all if Mil is they way you end up deciding to go. Should you not make it through course, you can always then spend your hard earned dough and go the civvie route.

airborne_artist
24th May 2007, 12:28
Pablo - Only two hours ago you said

But surely there must be someone out there who's had the experience and would be so kind as to tell me a little bit more about the AAC, the Army or officers???...Like: how many hours do you get?Where are you likely to be sent?Whats the training like?........................ny one

I suggest you are not perhaps the best authority on military RW matters :ugh:

pulse1
24th May 2007, 13:11
tegwin,

I am surprised that noone has yet told you that, if you go the RN route, it will take you the best part of 5 years before you become a qualified helicopter pilot. Unless things have changed in the last year, you will spend a total of two years of that on hold, waiting for the next slot in the training process. During that time you can be given any job, anywhere.

I have no idea how long the same process takes in the other services but, as they tend to use the same training facilities, it is probably similar.

airborne_artist
24th May 2007, 13:30
Pulse 1 - no/very short holds in the RN FAA pilot training system right now. Spoke to the current Flight Training Officer at BRNC two months ago. A combination of lower than planned numbers on the recent intakes, and a slight expansion in capacity has really speeded things up for those just starting.