PDA

View Full Version : Helmets & glasses?

Nomex
4th May 2007, 13:05
Hi All,
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm chasing some information/documentation on the wearing of Sunglasses/Prescription Glasses whilst wearing helmets. Does it effect noise attenuation, debris protection or survivability in the event of bird strike, crash/hard landing etc etc. I know that there are thousands of us out there are wearing presciption glasses, but given that most helmets come fitted with visors is there any real need to wear sunglasses?
Thanks in advance,
Nomex.:ok:

4th May 2007, 14:15
I cannot offer you references you seek, I am not aware that any exist in the form you seem to be looking for however, I have been wearing specs with helmets for over 17 years now. My experience is: I have not noticed or detected any effect upon noise attenuation. I use bifocals but have tried the varifocal which are completely useless. Even with the modern wide focal parameters offered by pentax, they reduce your peripheral vision by a considerable amount. As for Sunglasses, well I suppose its personal preference and circumstances. Sometimes I do, sometimes I do not. If I am into sun on a cloudless day then I do and have the tinted visor down as well its very calming. My advice is to go for titanium frames. I have discovered that constant on/off with the specs [not sensible to don helmet with then on] does reduce the frame life dramatically. HTH

Gomer Pylot
4th May 2007, 15:46
There are variable-focus bifocal lenses that do work. They're called SmartSegs here in the US. They're a traditional bifocal lens with a line, but the bifocal segment is a variable focus, changing from about 3 or 4 feet at the top to maybe 18 inches at the bottom. Peripheral vision is unaffected, as the part outside the bifocal is the same as the top of the lens, and there is no blurry part. I've been wearing them for years, and I love them. Changing focus is simply a matter of moving your head very slightly. They work just like regular bifocals, but better. I was comfortable with them as soon as I put them on.

I have titanium memory-metal frames, with very thin wire temples, and they don't affect the noise attenuation much, if at all, and they're comfortable under the earseals, unlike most I've tried in the past. I can easily don a helmet while wearing them, and actually prefer that.

Brilliant Stuff
5th May 2007, 10:38
I haven't worn any glasses under the helmet, but I would have thought with the gel earcups that would not be a problem. You can also buy little bridges/cushions for the glasses.

Sometimes the tint on the shaded visor is not enough when flying into sunshine.