PDA

View Full Version : Closest airfield to Hastings?

AdamFrisch
4th May 2007, 00:52
I'm contemplating to move to Hastings. As far as I can tell, it seems like Lydd Airport is the closest airfield to the town, which isn't very close at all. Is there some smaller airfield closer to town that I'm missing?

Also, is there some overview online of the British Islands with airfields and airports marked out?

SkyHawk-N
4th May 2007, 06:07
Sedlescombe (Spilsted Farm) Airfield is probably the closest, 1nm NE of Battle. Here is the website http://www.coleaviation.co.uk

trevs99uk
4th May 2007, 10:17
There is a few airstrips in the area.

And there is Deanland near Hailsham.
http://www.deanland-airfield.co.uk/Home.htm

IO540
4th May 2007, 10:34
In driving terms, the closest half decent airfield to Hastings is unfortunately Shoreham.

Deanland is a lot nearer but as with most small strips the chance of basing something there ranges from somewhere close to nil to precisely nil, depending on who you know and what you fly. It's a very small tight club with an active NIMBY crowd which keeps them twitchy about newcomers. It's a short runway, about 400m and often gets waterlogged. I've been there (by road).

The south east coast is very badly served. There is only Goodwood (often waterlogged and no hangarage), Shoreham (an excellent airport but no hangarage), Lydd (probably has everything you'd want, but in the middle of nowhere).

windriver
4th May 2007, 11:14
You may find this helpful to get an overview... but for info disused airfields are marked as well.... East Sussex or Kent for starters.

England South Airfields (http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/regional/EnglandSouth.html)

SkyHawk-N
4th May 2007, 11:23
IO540, how is Shoreham nearer to Hastings than Lydd? :rolleyes:

Hastings to Lydd Airport 22.9 miles
Hastings to Shoreham Airport 44.9 miles

rjay259
4th May 2007, 11:40
I think it is closer in time taken to get there as the roads from hastings to SHM are a little bit better than Hastings to Lydd.
I will gladdly stand corrected if they are not.
But deanland is much closer splisted farm if i remember is on top of a hill with rather a fun approach from the north as there is a wopping great big mast not to far away.

259:cool:

Hugh Spencer
4th May 2007, 11:41
I don't know about the mileage from Hastings but went as a passenger to film the Eastbourne area in a Jodel 1050. A bumpy grass strip but I don't know what it is like in the winter but winters are quite dry down here.

SkyHawk-N
4th May 2007, 11:43
rjay259, driving from Hastings to Shoreham is a terrible drive! I have done it hundreds of times. It takes two, sometimes three times the time. Even getting through Bexhill is a nightmare. The drive to Lydd may seem a pain as it is so twisty but at least traffic is not a problem.

rogcal
4th May 2007, 15:51
Big mistake moving there. I moved to Hastings in 1997 and what with the distances involved and higher costs, I gave up flying but salvation came in the form of a move to South Lincolnshire in 2002 and my flying recommenced.

I also looked for somewhere close to fly from and if you can get in at Sedlescombe you'll be extremely lucky.

For what it's worth, Headcorn (about 30 miles and 45 mins) is the best bet in respect of travelling time as you're not using roads that are clogged up with to much traffic which you will certainly encounter if you consider Lydd as a prospect.

Depending on were you live in Hastings, it can take 15 mins to get through Ore on a good day and you've still got to get through Rye before you reach any half decent roads leading to Lydd

Ah, the A259, God's answer to hell on earth.;)

IO540
4th May 2007, 15:57
I live in the area and have to agree with rogcal.

The A259 is hell. The following may upset some people but much of Kent is hell for getting anywhere by road. The roads are mostly little, winding, and have a lot of tractors. It's the last place in the UK I would live. But Kent property prices are (as a result) significantly cheaper than in say Sussex.

SkyHawk-N
4th May 2007, 16:02
It takes me around 25 minutes to get to Lydd airport from just east of Ore. Most of the time getting thru Rye, or more accurately around Rye, is a non-issue. The A259 between Hastings and Rye is ok, or take the scenic coastal route.