PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

virginblue
29th May 2008, 12:46
It's my silent comment concerning FR's route policy. Is there any logic in it?

Yes. As long as Ryanair meets contractually agreed pax numbers, the load factor as such is really not that important. They do not earn money from a full plane, but money from a plane two thirds full whose passengers are spending more money on priority boarding, luggage, credit card fees, travel insurance, on-board sales. And, first and foremost, they earn money from airports providing services for (almost) free and from tourist authorities paying for an airline service ("marketing support"). So more flights from, say, Tampere are unattractive as long as a full plane there does generate less income than a plane 2/3 full elsewhere.

eu01
29th May 2008, 16:31
They do not earn money from a full plane, but money from a plane two thirds full whose passengers are spending more money on priority boarding, luggage, credit card fees, travel insurance, on-board sales. And, first and foremost, they earn money from airports providing services for (almost) free and from tourist authorities paying for an airline service ("marketing support")
I do not know much about the spending habits of Scandinavian people in comparison to Germans, Britons or Eastern Europeans, but the issue is very interesting. Namely, where the most important sources of Ryanair's income come from. Indeed, the mentioned Tampere authorities probably do not pay any marketing support (let's stick to this example). But isn't it pretty lucrative to have those Finnish guys for a holiday (drinking vodka and having fun) in other parts of Europe - why nobody wanted to expand this "marketing support" towards them? And if this "support" is so essential for Ryanair, why on Earth are they speeding the development of the domestic routes in many countries nowadays? Will the Lille authorities pay for having the guests from Marseille or vice versa? Somehow I doubt it.

looot
29th May 2008, 17:54
i don't know where you got the information, but Bremen base is a success. Since the opening (april, 2007) almost 1 million passengers have flown with Ryanair. With 3 aircraft based there (one more is coming in autumn) and it's 24 routes it's a pretty good performing base. Not mentioning, that they have a maintenance hangar there. No chance to close it. But if you have reliable source or LF figures, you are welcome to show us ;-)

daz211
29th May 2008, 18:13
Will Ryanair ever start STN-TFS/FUE ?
The above routes would be so busy and a LPA would'nt go a miss :ok:

anna_list
29th May 2008, 18:22
[Caution: Usual caveat about loads and yields applies here]

German Stats are published monthly at destatis.de. According to these figures:

- In 2007 (the base opened in April), the average FR flown load factor to / from BRE was 64%.

- In January 2008 (the most recent stats available), the average FR flown load factor to / from BRE was about 48%.

In terms of load factor, BRE is without question one of FR's worst bases. However, it is also a relatively new base and one that where FR had no presence before starting the base. Make of that what you will.

Stanstedeye
29th May 2008, 18:37
There is a strong case for FR to start TFS / LPA, as TOM has closed its long-standing STN base, which has resulted in a large piece of cake to be had.

looot
29th May 2008, 19:16
i was asking for the LF of Ryanair, not the whole airport. And picking up the weakest month in the whole year is also not very wise... So, i'm still waiting the LF from Bremen (with links or source please).

en2r
29th May 2008, 19:52
i was asking for the LF of Ryanair, not the whole airport.
Thats what the figures are for. 48% is pretty poor when you consider that that includes some of the longer running pre base routes

Charlie Roy
29th May 2008, 20:18
So, i'm still waiting the LF from Bremen

Just try to book any Bremen flight, any date, any route. I'm sure you'll see ultra cheap tickets on sale. Do the same exercise for Charleroi. You'll see that ticket prices at Bremen are a lot cheaper than their other bases. They can't fill the planes, so offer rock bottom prices in an effort to do so.
Dollars burning left right and centre.

looot
29th May 2008, 20:49
Charlie Roy, i did. Just clicked to book BRE-ALC at random date:

going out: 25th July
coming back: 1st August

total: 260 euros!!! uhh, that hurts :-)

let's try one "weak link", BRE-RIX with the same dates: 85 euros

hmm, not really a 1p ticket.

So, either i picked up the most expensive tickets, or the routes are performing well enough.

Of course, i still waiting for some data, which shows that the base is performing terrible. Thanks.

cesare.caldi
29th May 2008, 22:12
... with the current climate there are even rumors that one or two bases might close...

What are the base candidate to be closed?

cesare.caldi
29th May 2008, 22:22
For open these new routes from BRE and PIK will be based new plane or closed some old routes?

kingdee
29th May 2008, 23:57
any stats for LBA - SNN route is tthis performing well?:ok:

anna_list
30th May 2008, 06:33
According to the CAA stats, the average flown LF for LBA-SNN for the period Nov 2007 - April 2008 is 38%. The route has recently been increased to 4x weekly.

eu01
30th May 2008, 06:49
Concerning these BRE load factors, it's really hard to get the most recent data. One reliable source calculates January load factor at 48%, the only destination able to reach the 80% LF was Tampere. The worst ones were NYO with 35%, BTS 33%, TPS 33%, AHO just 21% (found on hahn-infos.de).

I think also Germany has some potential to explore, but mostly in places where FR wasn't able to find any alternative airport to fly to (like Berlin or Munich).

DDNRN
30th May 2008, 07:58
Winter08/09 Forecast. not confirmed!

Weeze Niederrhein (NRN)

26.10.08 - 28.03.09

0745 - 0810

FR 2178 - FR 2179

Boeing 737-800

1234567 26.10.08 - 28.03.09

2055 - 2120

FR 2166 - FR 2167

Boeing 737-800

Flying_Frisbee
30th May 2008, 09:13
Quote:
Well known also for a large outlet centre next to the airport:

http://www.doz.com/wwwneu/en/index.html

This is the main attractive of this area and probably the main reason to open this new route: a shopping route for England people

Maybe Ryanair takes a percentage on the outlet sales... .

It's also a lot closer to the large US forces community round about Kaiserslautern who, at the moment, travel in large numbers to Hahn.

mmeteesside
30th May 2008, 09:55
Anyone know if Durham Tees - Gerona will survive for the winter? Or if not, why it has been dropped? Seemed to be performing well but maybe the yield is not there now that Alicante has started :confused:

Dazzle
30th May 2008, 11:59
Anyone know if Liverpool - Seville has been dropped? It doesn't appear on the schedules after the 24th October.

MUFC_fan
30th May 2008, 14:01
ALC is on sale but not sure about GRO.

I don't think the whole GRO schedule is on sale yet, they don't have all of their flights to STN (only 2x daily at the moment) and MAN/BLK are missing the Monday flight of their 4x weekly services. Maybe the full schedule has been released but I doubt.

ALC is on sale as well as DUB.

bravoromeosierra
30th May 2008, 19:04
How are the new NQY routes performing.. Anybody know?

airhumberside
30th May 2008, 20:01
I don't think the whole GRO schedule is on sale yet, they don't have all of their flights to STN (only 2x daily at the moment) and MAN/BLK are missing the Monday flight of their 4x weekly services. Maybe the full schedule has been released but I doubt.
Looks like a Gerona plane or two will be part of the fleet grounded for winter. Anyone able to confirm? Not that surprising considering GRO will peak in summer

OltonPete
30th May 2008, 21:16
NQYGuy

Not much help but the CAA stats for April (provisional) show: -

GRO 2291 = 88 pax per flight based on 26 rotations from 1/4/08-30/4/08

ALC 3191 = 123 pax per flight based on 26 rotations from 1/4/08-30/4/08

Girona is extremely low but it was the first month, Easter if in April would
have helped a little bit and even the first BHX figures were not that great.

It is still early in the season and ALC is not too bad but I have no idea what the fares were like though.

Pete

ROSEMOUNT
30th May 2008, 22:28
Came back on a flight from Stansted to BHD last night. 122 on board (according to the steward shouting down the aisle) which is about 65% load. Does anyone know if this is this typical and are easy suffering into BFS? By the way - they didnt seem to to be selling much food, drink or scratchcards.

Budfrey27
31st May 2008, 07:38
....i think the max allowed on BHD routes is 140 (ish).. i have flown with 140 on at xmas.....a bit windy at BHD and it made it a little hair raising!

cheers
Bud

OliWW
31st May 2008, 09:52
Ive been looking at Thessaloniki (SKG) for next year, I know easyjet and BA fly there from Gatwick, does anyone think it should be considered by Ryanair from Stansted or other big bases, because it seems to be doing okay with easyjet...

daz211
31st May 2008, 09:59
I think they should think long and hard about TFS,FUE and LPA from STN
before SKG, I still cant understand why there is no FR to TFS from STN
It seems like a very easy money making route to me but hay what do I know:ouch:.

OliWW
31st May 2008, 10:04
Well STN has recentally been seen for business uses, with EOS, Maxjet, and American Airlines, but now these have gone from STN Ryanair can pull back more holiday passengers, so maybe they will consider it for the future now, if you no what i mean by that ...

sunday8pm
31st May 2008, 11:02
Totally agree. FR could serve 3 times weekly flights to TFS, LPA, FUE and ACE and it would be guaranteed to make money in my opinion. Can't understand why not.

adam12345
31st May 2008, 17:57
Just Appeared In The Online Check-In Area
Birmingham-Frankfurt Hahn

https://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/FRSecurity.aspx?culture=EN-GB&pos=SBFORM

New Route???????

andyafc
31st May 2008, 18:18
also several new routes from luton in the system, whether it be true or just a mistake

anna_list
31st May 2008, 18:25
There are quite a few from SNN, BRS, CRL, HHN and STN too, including STN-FUE and STN-TFS.

It now looks as though Ryanair do their route planning based on what they read on PPRuNe.:ok:

toledoashley
31st May 2008, 18:27
Have had a quick look through, I can see:

LUTON - Beziers / Kaunas / Malaga / Rzeszow / Szczecin / Trapani
STANSTED - Tenerife South / Fuerteventura / Basel / Madrid
BRUSSELS - Tangier / Bratislava / Fez / Gdansk / Krakow / anchester /Marrakesh / Montpellier / Palma / Poznan / Riga / Santander
MADRID - Faro / Milan / Stansted / Shannon / East Midlands
FRANKFURT - Prague / Klagenfurt / Krakow / Birmingham / Dinard / Genoa / Graz / Nantes / Prague / Trieste
ROME - Brno / Marseille / Shannon
SHANNON - Bristol / Eindhoven / Frankfurt Hahn / Gdansk / Hamburg / Katowice / Kaunas / Lodz / Madrid / Perpignan / Rome / Salzburg
CORK - Malta
DUBLIN - Altenburg / Pula
BREMEN - Murcia? / Salzburg / Pisa
STOCKHOLM - Kaunas / Gdansk / Salzburg
BRISTOL - Gdansk / Marrakech / Salzburg / Szczecin
LIVERPOOL - Friedrichshafen / Ancona / Salzburg

EI-BUD
31st May 2008, 19:52
It also has Blackpool - London Stansted in the online check in facility??
This was dropped? Would it be coming back with a nice subsidy from the new Blackpool owners?

It also has Knock - London Gatwick so it's obviously not being maintained very well.!

Manchester to Brussels too?? Malta Cork? Neither of these routes are in the book online facility.. there must be lots more so must be some sort of error.

EI-BUD

EI-BUD
31st May 2008, 20:14
I checked some random week days on Belfast City to London Stansted route from the winter season 08/09 and it looks like 4 a day, down from the current 5. I am surprised that they are doing this.

To me it looks like Ryanair expected Easyjet to curtail flying on BFS STN but easy are obviously putting up a fight, with 9.99 all in one fares advertised in the Telegraph yesterday!!

OliWW
31st May 2008, 20:14
Still nothing more for EMA, could do with a German route, seeing as Frankfurt is expanding, even just daily...

I would have thought that EMA-FUE would been quite popular, if it was weekly or 2x weekly, because TCX have 2 flights a week, and FCA 1 flight, and from next year, first choice is going to thomson which is a 189pax B738 instead of a 220pax A321, so there could be some gain from that...

Any other thoughts regarding EMA...

mmeteesside
31st May 2008, 20:26
Newcastle - Oslo Torp is still in there too!

Charlie Roy
31st May 2008, 22:48
The online check contains most routes that have been cancelled in the last year or so, so a cancelled route in the Online Checkin is probably not making a comeback :(

I've looked at the extra routes for Charleroi (vested interest):
Bratislava
Fez
Gdansk
Krakow
Manchester
Marrakesh
Montpellier
Palma
Poznan
Riga
Santander
Tangier

MUFC_fan
1st Jun 2008, 10:28
3 planes?!

I don't know where you get 3 planes from?! Would say only 2 or 3 of those routes would be daily (maybe twice daily) but I would say a maximum of 2 a/c as many of the routes would be 2/3/4 times weekly.

Ian Brooks
1st Jun 2008, 10:47
To follow on from MUFC Fan, these routes are going to be winter Schedules and as FR are planning to park a number of aircraft over the winter I would have thought not a problem

Ian

toledoashley
1st Jun 2008, 10:57
LUTON - Beziers / Kaunas / Malaga / Rzeszow / Szczecin / Trapani
STANSTED - Tenerife South / Fuerteventura / Basel / Madrid
BRUSSELS - Tangier / Bratislava / Fez / Gdansk / Krakow / anchester /Marrakesh / Montpellier / Palma / Poznan / Riga / Santander
MADRID - Faro / Milan / Stansted / Shannon / East Midlands
FRANKFURT - Prague / Klagenfurt / Krakow / Birmingham / Dinard / Genoa / Graz / Nantes / Prague / Trieste
ROME - Brno / Marseille / Shannon
SHANNON - Bristol / Eindhoven / Frankfurt Hahn / Gdansk / Hamburg / Katowice / Kaunas / Lodz / Madrid / Perpignan / Rome / Salzburg
CORK - Malta
DUBLIN - Altenburg / Pula
BREMEN - Murcia? / Salzburg / Pisa
STOCKHOLM - Kaunas / Gdansk / Salzburg
BRISTOL - Gdansk / Marrakech / Salzburg / Szczecin
LIVERPOOL - Friedrichshafen / Ancona / Salzburg

Although they are planning in parking 20 aircraft - I think there are about 10 arriving. Also a lot of longer sectors being introduced (Canaries/Marrakech etc).

daz211
1st Jun 2008, 11:06
I dont see the point in parking up A/C in the winter :ugh:.

Why not stick A/C on routes like LPA, TFS, ACE, and FUE
they would be full and make alot of money.

daz211
1st Jun 2008, 11:09
Also a few Santa specials would bring in the £££.

frfly
1st Jun 2008, 12:10
shame no more EDI routes, bookings look strong for september and seeing as EDI is the top station for taking excess baggage (per passenger) seems like they could be onto a goldmine here!

some great new routes, thought it was about time STN got a MAD service.

sunday8pm
1st Jun 2008, 12:29
Seems likely Ryanair have some sort of software error as opposed to being on the verge of launching so many new routes.

tosch19
1st Jun 2008, 12:48
And you forgot to mention Eindhoven to Maastricht it's also there.

daz211
1st Jun 2008, 13:05
Maybe this new copmuter system is better than Ryanair thought
It has a built in route planner !
And it seems to be making more sence than many decisions made
by Ryanair themselfs.

Well as far as STN goes anyway !

STN should have already had - MAD, TFS, FUE.
And should also have the following domestic routes - NCL, EDI, MAN.

Stanstedeye
1st Jun 2008, 16:42
Now that would be a real deal !

sunday8pm
1st Jun 2008, 16:57
But its got none of them. And it looks like its not going to have doesn't it?

0523 cov man
2nd Jun 2008, 09:20
any news on cvt dub?

Leofric
2nd Jun 2008, 11:45
0523 Cov Man

Yes, the news is that you are the only person in the world who thinks this might happen!!!

jack_essex
2nd Jun 2008, 15:50
I hope the STN rumours are true. Surely TFS at least has been long overdue.

toledoashley
2nd Jun 2008, 17:34
Have been having a look at possible route closures, only completed London so far, so here goes:

STANSTED - Lamezia / Rimini / Pula / Zadar / Rodez / Poitiers / Almeria / Beziers (to LTN?) / Angouleme / Brindisi / Granada

LUTON - Milan / Brest

OliWW
2nd Jun 2008, 17:50
I heard around EMA that ryanair were to reduce Bratislava from 4x Weekly to 3x Weekly and make Cork 4x Weekly

LGS6753
2nd Jun 2008, 18:06
Toledoashley -

I think LTN=Brest is seasonal. It certainly didn't operate throughout last winter. Surprised about LTN-BGY, since it's twice daily at present.

toledoashley
2nd Jun 2008, 18:20
Brest I am quite sure is seasonal, a lot of the route closues for Stansted are quite seasonal as well, although I belive most have operted before in the winter months on a reduced schedule. Also believe increase of flights to Salzburg, Grenoble, Klagenfurt and Freidrichafen.

thepeacock
3rd Jun 2008, 07:24
A few extracts from full year results this AM :

"Cost increases over the winter were limited by our decision to ground 7 aircraft at Stansted and we will extend this program next Winter by grounding up to 20 aircraft (approx. 10% of our fleet), mainly at Stansted and Dublin where high airport charges make it more profitable to ground aircraft rather than fly them through the Winter."

"What we as an airline and our investors must remember is that this is a cyclical industry, and a downturn in the industry provides enormous opportunity for airlines such as Ryanair."

"Based on forward bookings, we now believe it likely that average fares for the coming year will rise by approx. +5% and if oil prices remain at $130 per barrel, then we expect to accordingly breakeven for fiscal '09."

Other Highlights :

Added 30 new aircraft, 3 new bases and 201 new routes.
After Tax profit margin of 18%
Lost €90 million on the value of the 29% stake in Aer Lingus
Load Factor 82%
Origin of income from UK 38% from 44% last year
6% increase in sector length
28% reduction in marketing and distribution costs

Irishtjs
3rd Jun 2008, 09:34
Cost cutting is a fine art....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20080603/tuk-ryanair-grounds-planes-to-cut-costs-6323e80.html

Opinions ladies and gentlemen....

captjns
3rd Jun 2008, 10:03
Same plan... only a year or two or three or four later.

spinnaker
3rd Jun 2008, 10:07
Been out of the game for a while. My question is, does this mean FR will not use wet lease frames in the winter. Is so, that puts pressure on a few carriers that rely on a few pennies during the off holiday season.

Wage cuts maybe?

Jes
3rd Jun 2008, 10:25
What's wrong with the Ryanair thread? You can't miss it.

Flitefone
3rd Jun 2008, 11:24
See my post #1566 on the FR thread of 23rd April. It's not mothballing aircraft, it's simply flying fewer daily sectors in the winter (although still flying more sectors than most others)

FF

Buster the Bear
3rd Jun 2008, 12:29
5 months unpaid leave on offer to crews over this coming winter.

Sky Conductor
3rd Jun 2008, 15:57
From the Ryanair website

"The following are Ryanair’s passenger and load factor statistics for May 2008. This is the first time that Ryanair or any other UK airline has carried over 5 million passengers in one month."

What do they mean by OTHER UK airlines..i thought Ryanair were Irish?

EI-BUD
3rd Jun 2008, 16:12
Sky conductor .. I picked up on this too, I read it and thought surprised that they did not say first time any Uk or Irish airline has passed 5m, or 'any Uk airline'!

On a separate note I was reading in a separate item of news in the Ryanair news section, about how Ryanair are going to sue the union over an unofficial strike. Well what amused me was that Michael Cawley was quoted as saying We do not believe that it is fair, reasonable or lawful that airport employees simply walk off the job and endanger the safety of passengers

A ryanair senior employee using the statement we believe it is not fair, is a bit ironic. Ryanair have all too often been 'not fair' in their treatment of people, both staff and customers, airports, suppliers etc.

I actually like Ryanair and use them with hesitation, but this was a funny one!

scousegit
3rd Jun 2008, 16:57
Its also not the only airline thats had a pay freeze this year due to expected DIP in profits and the fuel price affecting operations.

However when it was announced that the top 30 managers would take a pay freeze due to the hard times and the cost of fuel etc effecting profits, what they forgot to mention is that everyone else had a pay freeze as well. However unlike the top 30 managers we won't be reimburssed by profit shares and bonuses, which of course todays announcment will gladly contribute.

There are some very hard working and extemely professional people who work to make this airline successful, and it is. However its these very same people that Ryanair has an inane habit of p***ing off at every opportunity. When you work for the company you realise it all becomes smoke and mirrors very quickly. What you see is not in any way what you get.

Grounding aircraft, wait and see...............................................

I suspect these aircraft will be flying, allbeit somewhere else and they'll be looking for guys to go where-ever to operate them............................................at a small cost to them of course!

This could be a really good airline to work for but for the attitude of our senior management have towards the staff who actually contribute to lining the shareholders pockets. Isn't it about time this was recognised?

There have been some great guys leaving within the last month or so, how long will it be before a lot more follow suit?????

Contrary to the managements belief, there is a lot of work out there and although some companies will go to the wall, they will be replaced by others starting up, thats the nature of the business. It wouldn't surprise me if one day in 3-4 yrs time I woke up, turned on the news and the whole house of cards had fallen down into the sand it was built on.

Any airline to operate well needs the basic fundementals. They are, aircraft (we've got loads of them), Pilots/crews to fly the adorable public to there desired destinations (they buy the tickets that make the money) and when it all goes wrong, someone highly professional and very skilled to come along and fix it. An aircraft that doesn't fly, doesn't make any money and its basics really. No Fly, No Airline, ask Silverjet and others.

So wait and see what happens over the next few months and don't believe a word of what you see until you see it with your own eyes, and then treat it sceptically......................

MarkD
3rd Jun 2008, 23:03
I thought MOL would welcome the opportunity to have some spare capacity so he could send an aircraft to retrieve stranded passengers rather than tell them there might be seats available in a week...

The Real Slim Shady
4th Jun 2008, 08:42
Scousegit,

You are whining about a pay freeze and not getting profit share / bonuses when the price of oil has gone through the roof, airlines are going under - Silverjet being the latest example, watch Wizzair, SkyEurope, Vuelling and all the other LCCs struggle too.

You still have a job and are getting paid each month.

The grass and green comes to mind !

4th Jun 2008, 10:29
It appears the aircraft being used for the PSO route to Dublin will also operate a morning rotation to Hahn and an evening one to Stansted.

MUFC_fan
4th Jun 2008, 15:22
Not so sure whether we will see the end of some of these carriers.

We have seen the confidence in LS and GSM rise due to their confirmation of hedged fuel until either later this year or into next which means the fuel problem is less of an issue.

Airlines such as Wizzair are offering fares at rock bottom prices (much lower than the likes of U2 and LS) and by raising the fares to their prices I would guess they would increase on yield, whether they would lose passengers due to the prices I am not sure.

Personally I don't expect to see many closures on this side of the Atlantic.

Charlie Roy
4th Jun 2008, 16:11
2 more aircraft and 12 new routes to be announced for Charleroi tomorrow according to Belgian media.
http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1536/Economie/article/detail/299962/2008/06/04/Ryanair-reliera-Charleroi-au-Maroc-et-la-Pologne.dhtml (article in French)

Bratislava
Fez
Gdansk
Krakow
Manchester
Marrakesh
Montpellier
Palma
Poznan
Riga
Santander
Tangier

MUFC_fan
4th Jun 2008, 16:42
2 more aircraft and 12 new routes to be announced for Charleroi tomorrow according to Belgian media.
http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1536/Econ...-Pologne.dhtml (http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1536/Economie/article/detail/299962/2008/06/04/Ryanair-reliera-Charleroi-au-Maroc-et-la-Pologne.dhtml) (article in French)

Bratislava
Fez
Gdansk
Krakow
Manchester
Marrakesh
Montpellier
Palma
Poznan
Riga
Santander
Tangier

3 planes?!

I don't know where you get 3 planes from?! Would say only 2 or 3 of those routes would be daily (maybe twice daily) but I would say a maximum of 2 a/c as many of the routes would be 2/3/4 times weekly.

Don't mean to gloat!:O:O:ok:

Another new route for MAN opposed to LPL!

JulietNovemberPapa
4th Jun 2008, 16:54
The following are the routes shown in FR's OLCI pull-down menu from CRL (as stated in reply 1084):

Bratislava
Fez
Gdansk
Krakow
Manchester
Marrakesh
Montpellier
Palma
Poznan
Riga
Santander
Tangier Here are the cities that will supposedly be announced tomorrow from CRL:

Bratislava
Fez
Gdansk
Krakow
Manchester
Marrakesh
Montpellier
Palma
Poznan
Riga
Santander
Tangier :ok: Would be cool if correct. Perhaps, then, the other routes in FR's OLCI that aren't actually operated might well come true.

Charlie Roy
4th Jun 2008, 16:57
Another new route for MAN opposed to LPL!

Ryanair stated in numerous press conferences at Charleroi last year that they were looking at reinstating CRL - Liverpool.
Seems indeed that they have opted for Manchester...

The 12 routes will be made possible by the 2 new aircraft, and also I imagine Bergerac and Limoges will be axed, and Valencia is also now operated by a Valencia based aircraft, as well as a general little reshuffle of Charleroi routes.

aeulad
4th Jun 2008, 18:16
How long has Marseille-Lille been operating?

Regards

Mike

JulietNovemberPapa
4th Jun 2008, 19:01
How long has Marseille-Lille been operating?

Was announced, along with 13 other new routes, on the 29th May. MRS-LIL-MRS will start on the 28th October.

Charlie Roy
4th Jun 2008, 23:34
Another newspaper is reporting the imminent announcement of ONE extra aircraft, and 8 routes:

Fez
Gdansk
Krakow
Manchester
Marrakesh
Montpellier
Poznan
TangierFor next winter, a VLC aircraft takes over the VLC - CRL route, I expect Limoges and Bergerac to bite the dust, and I expect any new aircraft to arrive in October and to coincide approximately with the launch of the winter schedule.

What's also being reported is that JETAIRFLY who currently operate an enormously successful CRL - Casablanca route will announce 4 new routes for CRL on Friday: Tenerife, Las Palmas, Oujda and Nador.

If all rumours are true, passengers next winter will be able to fly from CRL to SIX Moroccan cities:

Casablanca
Oujda
Nador
Fez
Marrakech
Tangier

antoslaw
5th Jun 2008, 07:21
WRO-CRL is also available in Book now.

Charlie Roy
5th Jun 2008, 07:59
New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Brindisi, Papola Casale (BDS)
New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Fez, Sais (FEZ)
New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Ibiza (IBZ)
New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Madrid, Barajas (MAD)
New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Berlin-Schoenefeld (SXF)
New:Bristol (BRS) to Gdansk, Rebiechowo (GDN)
New:Bristol (BRS) to Marrakech, Menara (RAK)
New:Bristol (BRS) to Szczecin, Goleniow (SZZ)
New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Fez, Sais (FEZ)
New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Gdansk, Rebiechowo (GDN)
New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Manchester (MAN)
New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Marrakech, Menara (RAK)
New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Riga, International (RIX)
New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Tangier, Boukhalef (TNG)
New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Wroclaw, Copernicus (WRO)
New:Gerona, Costa Brava (GRO) to Perugia, Sant Egidio (PEG)
New:Hahn, Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN) to Birmingham, International (BHX)
New:Hahn, Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN) to Klagenfurt, Alpe Adria (KLU)
New:Hahn, Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN) to Prague, Ruzyne (PRG)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Beziers, Vias (BZR)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Kaunas (KUN)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Londonderry, Eglinton (City Of Londonderry) (LDY)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Rzeszow, Jasionka (RZE)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Szczecin, Goleniow (SZZ)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Trapani, Birgi (TPS)
New:Madrid, Barajas (MAD) to London, Stansted (STN)

Cloud Bunny
5th Jun 2008, 08:52
Is that list confirmed as fact or just educated speculation?

FA10
5th Jun 2008, 09:16
Hahn - Prague starting 27.10. Monday+Friday. Can be booked already.

adam12345
5th Jun 2008, 09:54
Birmingham - Frankfurt (Hahn)
Starts 27th October 2008

Operating Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun

Flights can already be booked - Looking Like Frankfurt Based Aircraft:ok:

JulietNovemberPapa
5th Jun 2008, 10:55
Those routes are now in FR's pull-down menu, but there isn't yet a full press release - a partial one though - and not yet on their map.

Among those new routes was 1 new destination: Ibiza.

So, FR has in the past 7 days announced 40 new routes and 5 new destinations (Agadir, Nador, Tangier, Lille, Ibiza).

:ok:

Charlie Roy
5th Jun 2008, 11:27
I wonder are the new Luton routes being transferred from Stansted?

New:London, Luton (LTN) to Beziers, Vias (BZR)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Kaunas (KUN)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Londonderry, Eglinton (City Of Londonderry) (LDY)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Rzeszow, Jasionka (RZE)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Szczecin, Goleniow (SZZ)
New:London, Luton (LTN) to Trapani, Birgi (TPS)

JulietNovemberPapa
5th Jun 2008, 11:50
Research based on early November.

STN-LDY will operate 2x daily except 2, 4, 6 when it'll be 1x. LTN-LDY will be 3x weekly (2, 4, 6).

LTN-TPS will operate 3x weekly (2, 4, 6) during the winter. I don't believe it has previously operated from either LTN or STN. The closest to it is FR's STN-PMO service, which will operate 4x weekly (1, 3, 5, 7) in the winter.

LTN-BZR 2x weekly (1, 5) in the winter. Looks like STN-BZR won't operate in the winter. But will it return next spring/summer? Dunno.

LTN-SZZ 3x weekly during the winter (2, 4, 6); STN-SZZ 4x weekly (1, 3, 5, 7) in the winter.

LTN-RZE 2x weekly (3, 7) during the winter; STN-RZE daily during the winter.

LTN-KUN 3x weekly (2, 4, 6); STN-KUN daily during the winter.

VanBosh
5th Jun 2008, 12:00
New Planes for LTN / BGY / CRL?

Or some cancelled routes / reduced frequencies?

Powerjet1
5th Jun 2008, 12:11
Looks like STN-LDY will be reduced to 1x daily from 2x daily, and LTN-LDY will be 1x daily.

As far as I can see STN-LDY stays at 2 xdaily & LTN-LDY is 3 x weekly. SNN, for W08, seems to wholly operated by a SNN based aircraft as opposed to the current 50/50 split. No additional based airframes at LTN at the moment.

JulietNovemberPapa
5th Jun 2008, 12:18
As far as I can see STN-LDY stays at 2 xdaily & LTN-LDY is 3 x weekly.

Odd: when I was researching it an hour ago it was as I said. Now, however, it appears that STN-LDY will operate 2x daily except 2, 4, 6 when it'll be 1x. And as you said, LTN-LDY will be 3x weekly (2, 4, 6). Again, complementing schedules.

I've now changed what I earlier wrote.

gilesdavies
5th Jun 2008, 12:34
You gotta be joking that Luton will be getting any new aircraft from Ryanair... Despite then moaning about the fees at STN, they don't say much about LTN and never seem willing to expland there.

LTN still only has 4 aircraft based there, which has been the case for the last 3-4yrs... While there other bases continue to grow substantially.

While airports like BRS, BHX and EMA have looked they have a lot more routes than LTN with a similar number of aircraft they have only flown several times a week to destinations from these airports. While LTN has maintained daily services to most of it's FR destinations and some are even flown several times daily...

This seems like this is about to stop, Milan Bergamo's twice daily service which has been oerating for about 6 years seems like this is being stopped altogether, along with Brest. While Reus and Malta are going from daily to 3-4 times weekly.

So it seems the new destinations can easily be accomodated within the current fleet.

I dont under stand how a twice daily service to Bergamo can be stopped all of a sudden when I would assume there is clearly a market. Maybe pegging it back to daily should have been more sensible...

They seem to use LTN as an experimental base, many routes have come and gone... Aahus, Vasteras, Fez, Venice, and Im sure there are others.

The flights offered to LTN-LDY seems a joke, 4 times weekly is pathetic! Just down the road in Belfast easyJet fly 5-6 times DAILY to Luton. Sure a twice daily or daily service could be sustainable onn this route...

Maybe they will increase the frequencey next summer if the routes work this winter...

Based
5th Jun 2008, 16:38
Just down the road in Belfast easyJet fly 5-6 times DAILY to Luton. Sure a twice daily or daily service could be sustainable onn this route...

On that basis 'just down the road' from LTN, Ryanair fly STN - LDY daily!

airhumberside
5th Jun 2008, 16:55
What's also being reported is that JETAIRFLY who currently operate an enormously successful CRL - Casablanca route will announce 4 new routes for CRL on Friday: Tenerife, Las Palmas, Oujda and Nador.
CRL-Casablanca is operated by Jet 4 You with a JetAirFly codeshare. JetAirFly dont currently serve CRL will their own metal

Buster the Bear
5th Jun 2008, 17:13
My understanding is, and I stand to be corrected, that Ryanair want Luton to pay them to base more planes there. Luton have said "No thank you"!

ALLMCC
5th Jun 2008, 18:02
A bit disappointing there's nothing new at BHD. A link to either LTN or BRS would be obvious choices. Still maybe there's still time to FR to consider these for winter 08 perhaps with another based a/c at BHD.

MUFC_fan
5th Jun 2008, 20:27
My understanding is, and I stand to be corrected, that Ryanair want Luton to pay them to base more planes there. Luton have said "No thank you"!

I'm loving that! The home of Britains biggest airline and FR have the cheeck to ask for money for basing planes! MOL classic!

If you don't ask...you don't get!

Buster the Bear
5th Jun 2008, 20:52
That is how Ryanair operate. Pay me to fly from your airport. This might be via local development grants, EU subsidies etc.

Luton said "NO, if you want to base more, then you pay the going rate"!

Luton in effect would then subsidise Ryanair profits?

Ryanair and its BAA Stansted spin. It probably is, and will continue to get good deals to open new routes from there, and I guess Ryanair gets the same at Luton? Derry and Trapani are new destinations, so might get a bit of a discount?

Ryanair have announced that they are grounding planes this winter, easyJet have disguised this same fact by accelerating the removal of the -700's from their fleet and replacing with Airbus....not in addition.

The survival of UK airlines within the current climate relies upon spreading the risk. The more bases outside and around Europe, the more chance of riding the storm, this is easyJet/Ryanair current policy. If one market declines, others around Europe will prop you up. Getting a few self help payments from the airports and regions certainly helps as well!

UK Lo-Co's relying upon a predominately UK clientèle will be in deep bear Pooh come the winter with oil north of $100.

EI-BUD
5th Jun 2008, 21:00
Was reading on Uk airports news the response from Flybe and Jet2 regarding MOL's comments about 'crappy airlines'.

http://www.uk-airport-news.info/leeds-bradford-airport-news-040608.htm

What a hit back, it seems to me that Flybe have quite a confidence and seem to feel unaffected by Ryanair. Belfast City routes dont seem to have been too badly hit for Flybe since Ryanair arrived in the market.

I think MOL will launch a big attack on the Flybe network in the coming months, and as a start Belfast city wil see new routes. I wouldnt be at all surprised if Ryanair launch flights to Manchester, Birmingham and maybe Gatwick now that would be very exciting!!!!

BALLSOUT
5th Jun 2008, 21:49
With regards to the suggestion that Luton Airport pay Ryanair:
We have to remember that Ryanair were at LTN before STN. The move across to STN came about because of LTN charges and check in facilities.
Now there are 40+ airframes at STN and only 4 at LTN.
I expect that the LTN management would be keen to work out a deal to get back some of the business they have lost to STN.

cesare.caldi
5th Jun 2008, 22:25
To open the five new route from BGY to BDS, SXF, IBZ, FEZ and add a new 4th daily to CIA will be based one new plane in BGY, so from end of october BGY will have 7 plane based.

EGAC_Ramper
6th Jun 2008, 16:40
I don't think you will see any BHD expansion yet from FR. The rwy at BHD is too short and not a favourite. Should rwy extension happen (doubtful due local residents) then Id see FR expand. The bloodletting is going to occur in BHX and I fell Flybe will be ok however BMIBaby I wouldn't be so sure.

Regards

adam12345
7th Jun 2008, 09:03
Could more routes be announced for Birmingham for the Winter 2008/2009 season:

Without a doubt, more routes will be announced very soon for the coming Winter 2008/2009 season!

http://www.flyintobhx.co.uk/news.html

What do you think??????

BFS101
7th Jun 2008, 13:36
Obvious route to LTN and BRS... Lord I hope not!!! And MAN, BHX, or LGW... :ugh::ugh:

Total over capacity on Belfast-London routes, with even FR selling their 1p seats or £4.99 one-ways and still flying empty seats. All this will do after the short term consumer bonus of day trips to the capital or weekend breaks, (and as the public start tightening their belts), the market will correct itself with reduction in capacity. Less frequent flights with a particular airline. Less choice therefore of flights, and with two airports here, if you fly out of BFS with car parked there, its not handy to get a more suitable timed flight home with FR but to BHD!! Maybe not so bad with the LHR flights for connections, but STN, oh come on...

Already pretty good competition in Belfast with BE and EZY competing on many routes, so why on earth bring more airlines in on the equation?? Like I said, short term gain of incredably low fares, but sooner or later, market will correct, and customers have less frequency by airline.

Bristol is a concern. If FR started flights there from BHD, Easyjet may respond, or overtime, pull the middle of the day flight. This then leaves the NI consumer worse off, with less frequency with say morning and evening departure with EZY and the same with FR or perhaps even only 1 day with FR. How does that benefit someone with their car at BFS and wants to travel in the middle of the day, or needs a morning flight one day and home the afternoon next???

In my opinion FR have basically offered nothing new to the NI consumer, short term cheap flights, but to no new destinations, unless you class PIK as not Glasgow. Yes, they're very good at what they do, so bring us European routes, new destinations. Not just over capacity on what was already a good number of destinations from both airports and good service, with prices you'd expect to pay!! Get the runway extension at BHD or move to BFS and offer us NI citizens something new and beneficial.

MurphSRFC
8th Jun 2008, 09:42
Was browsing prices for Xmas flights (nothing like a bit of forward planning) and I noticed that VLC-DUB has no flights listed after October (lots of other Ryanair routes do). Can I therefore take it that this route is being dropped?

vinnym
8th Jun 2008, 11:07
Just travelled with Ryanair this week, they will surely be making a huge profit on on board sales with the prices they charge, two sachets of cheap whiskey equivalent to a minature. priced at £4.60 with a mixer at £1.50, a cuppa soup at £3, these must be the highest prices in the world, talk about getting into a captive audience!!!!!
:(:(:(:(

CorkEICK
8th Jun 2008, 11:57
Anyone know why there are no flights on any route bookable on the Ryanair website on Christmas Eve? Lots of flts available on various routes on 23 Dec!

MUFC_fan
8th Jun 2008, 15:59
They havn't operated 24th for a while. I think it is that if a flight was late, or due in after mid-night it goes into a public holiday (Xmas day) and would this then cost the airline more (crew extra time etc.?)

Also, will there contract say that they are guaranteed Xmas day off?

FR crew - help us out!:}

F14
8th Jun 2008, 18:27
Normal the aircraft misses the last rotation on the 24th and 1st rotation on 26th

Runway 31
8th Jun 2008, 18:49
They usually finish very early on Christmas and New Years eve, last flight landing around 1600 or so.

CorkEICK
8th Jun 2008, 22:59
They usually finish very early on Christmas and New Years eve, last flight landing around 1600 or so.

That is what I remember as well but there are absolutely no flights from any Ryanair base bookable on 24 December at any time of the day.

Seat62K
9th Jun 2008, 10:56
Great to see, at last, flights from Stansted to Madrid ("Thank you", MOL!) but does anyone know why Madrid-based aircraft have been chosen to operate this route? A result of this is that the schedules look more favourable for Spanish business travellers, who can get to Stansted by 8am and have a 7pm return flight, as opposed to UK travellers who can't get to Barajas before noon and have to contend with the fact that the last flight back leaves at 5.10pm.
[P.S. Madrid now has flights from LHR, LGW, STN, LTN and LCY. As far as I am aware Dublin might be the only other destination served from all five London Area airports. Are there any others?]

9th Jun 2008, 11:09
Amsterdam has it too

LHR (BA,KL, BD)
LGW (BA, U2)
LTN (U2)
STN (U2)
LCY (KL, VG)

As does Edinburgh

LHR (BA, BD)
LGW (BA, U2)
LTN (U2)
STN (U2)
LCY (BA, CB)

Seat62K
9th Jun 2008, 11:16
Thanks for that!

airhumberside
Also Glasgow and Barcelona

MUFC_fan
As far as I am aware Dublin might be the only other destination served from all five London Area airports. Are there any others?]

Aswell as:

Glasgow
LHR (BA,BD)
LGW (BA, U2)
LCY (BA)
LTN (U2)
STN (U2)

Barcelona
LHR (IB, BA)
LGW (BA, U2)
LCY (BA)
LTN (U2)
STN (U2)

I'm sure there are more.

toledoashley
9th Jun 2008, 17:08
Belfast (BHD/BFS)
Berlin (SXF/TXL)

freightdoggy dog
10th Jun 2008, 08:08
Vinnym,

You don't HAVE to buy anything on board. On a 2 hour flight is easy to chill out and ignore the hard sell, read your paper and listen to your mp3.Then when you get to your destination have a real meal in a local resturant and stick two fingers up at MOL as you quaff a cold beer.

Have just booked Pisa for 3 day break from BOH for £36 inc taxes next week and a trip to Verona for £29 at end of month. Oh and I will be using the on line tkt to avoid the check in charge and sad pax with screaming children and will also carry on a small cabin bag. You have a choice, pay over the top for this and that or travel light in the knowledge that it's cost less than a taxi ride in any major city and you are helping RYR go broke !!

Cloud Bunny
10th Jun 2008, 09:36
You have a choice, pay over the top for this and that or travel light in the knowledge that it's cost less than a taxi ride in any major city and you are helping RYR go broke

What a lovely sentiment, thanks for that. When RYR go "broke" trust you wont mind paying my mortgage for me? :=

Alvechurch
10th Jun 2008, 10:05
doggy dog

You seem to be claiming that if everyone used your flying technique on Ryanair the company would go bust.
Going by that, the "sad pax with screaming children" are actually subsidising your cheap flights so be glad they're there. :=

pee
11th Jun 2008, 12:47
Many years ago I've learnt the basics of Russian, so today I was able to understand the text (http://rus.delfi.lv/news/daily/business/article.php?id=21153403) about Russians travelling with Ryanair. Potentially lucrative business for low-cost carriers? Well, Russians in general are keen to use Ryanair planes. Some of them come from Russia, others live in Latvia or Estonia and (still) use Russian passports - and they want to experience Europe.

The issue with Russians originates from the "Web Check-In" system. Maybe not elsewhere in Europe, but at least in Riga the citizens of Russia are being denied this check-in option while using Russian passports.
The Irish airline is sending them into long queue requiring the additional payments for the airport check-in. While other travelers have the opportunity to avoid long queues and save a lot of time and nerves (and some money as well), Russians can't. And they protest.

"Such are the EU requirements!" -- claims in a telephone interview with the newspaper the Regional Manager for Northern Europe Ryanair William Hamilton. When asked about the details of the document, Mr. Hamilton only asked to give him the flight data and the name of the protesting passenger, then he just didn't answered the calls.

Today, however, he'll arrive in Riga and is expected to give a press conference there.

The issue is sensitive, other airlines do not place such obstacles during the online check-in.

And in fact nobody knows why such a limit exists in Latvia. One of the Latvian ministers says: "This is a private business company. We do not interfere in it."

"This is a matter of Latvian legislation, the airport does not have the right to decide - assures the spokesperson of the airport - Perhaps this is the competence of the Ministry of the Interior…"

In the Ministry of Internal Affairs, however, they say: "It is not our jurisdiction".

And so on, and so on. Just read it, if you can. But if you do understand this text, try to look at the readers' opinions. The publicity FR is getting on this occasion is not a favourable one, very clearly so.

SkinHeadFlyer
11th Jun 2008, 14:42
I can't see the Latvians (or Estinians and Lithunians) being that bothered about the Russian passport holders. All three hate the Russians for the ill-treatment post-WW2.

In Estonia, unless the Russian passport holder is prepared to jump various hurdles such as learning Estonian, they have no choice but to retain a Russian passport - like it or not.

As for the "Worlds Least Respected Airline" aka Ryanair - it's no doubt a querk with the cheap IT deal they got which prevents them from operating the Online Check-in for Russian passport holders.

eu01
11th Jun 2008, 16:12
expected to give a press conference I don't think the press conference in Riga is meant to calm Russians. Tomorrow there will be at least a couple of conferences in other airports as well (probably a few new routes to be announced?)

Concerning Russians. To my knowledge, the once-frozen negotiations between FR and the almost forgotten airport near Saimaa lake by the Russian border (EFLP on the EU side, should we call it "Petersburg-West"?) did make some progress recently, so who knows, it might be wise to have a better press in Russia.

MUFC_fan
11th Jun 2008, 18:47
Many years ago I've learnt the basics of Russian

I was told to learn Russian - the up and coming language! One day you could become rich off of that language.

Wish I knew the same man now and could tell him it was the Arabs and Chinese who we needed to watch!:ok:

BALLSOUT
12th Jun 2008, 00:02
SkinHead, the online check in is only for E U passport holders.

pee
12th Jun 2008, 05:26
the online check in is only for EU passport holders
Oh, is the US or Canadian citizen excluded from the online check-in @FR then?

johnref
12th Jun 2008, 08:24
YES - and so are SOuth Africans, Moroccans, Australians etc...

Strange in a way when they fly to Morocco that nationals of a county they fly to cant use it.

Charlie Roy
12th Jun 2008, 09:27
Charleroi - Montpellier
Palermo - Pisa
Palermo - Bergamo

Maybe more to come today?

DDNRN
12th Jun 2008, 09:31
People from Marokko can not use Online-Checkin because of all that overweight in the luggage ;)

FR earns a lot of money with that and the Passengers are happy because the price is still low!

JadeGoody
12th Jun 2008, 09:50
WINTER SCHEDULE
Oslo - Madrid is axed,it wont be back
Oslo - Marseille is taking a pause, it will be back next summer

Reduction
Torp - Girona/Barcelona (from 4 to 2 weekly)
Torp - Bremen (from 5 to 3)
Torp - Dublin (from 7 to 4
Torp - Milano (from 7 to 4)
Torp - Liverpool (from 4 to 3

MUFC_fan
12th Jun 2008, 18:07
the online check in is only for EU passport holders

Does this make it legal for FR to chargefor check-in to these passengers as they have no choice over the charge?

If not (which I don't think it would be !) then surely it should be included in the price under the new EU rules where a fare must include all Fees and Charges.

If they can't pick which they want, then how can they be compulsary charged for something they have no control over?!:ugh:

DDNRN
13th Jun 2008, 18:46
17.06.2008!
FR press conference in BREmen (08:45), Düsseldorf (City! at 11:00) and Hahn (13:30) by MOL.

BHX5DME
13th Jun 2008, 22:30
I was expecting MOL at BHX on 17 June as this base launch day !

Hoping for an announcement about 2 more aircraft

XSBaggage
14th Jun 2008, 11:29
Non-EU pax using airport check in can apply for a refund for the charge to FR. And they do actually get it re-charged to the card they book with - have spoken to quite a few people who do this regularly.

andy1205
14th Jun 2008, 12:18
anyone got anymore new,s on the rumor on ryanair in talks with cwl

babemagnet
15th Jun 2008, 14:19
Looks like Ryanair is going to fly to Ibiza from Bergamo! see the Destinations on FR website!

JulietNovemberPapa
15th Jun 2008, 14:27
Looks like Ryanair is going to fly to Ibiza from Bergamo!

Yep, IBZ is a new FR destination and FR's 19th Spanish destination (including TFS and FUE in the Canaries). It was in its drop-down menu on the 5th June. FR announced other new destinations on the 29th May: Lille; Agadir; Nador; and Tangier.

revo
16th Jun 2008, 11:23
The first based aircraft is due to arrive at BHX this afternoon. Currently planned is:

1630 FR17P From East Midlands

VanBosh
16th Jun 2008, 12:43
These 3 press conferences in Germany tomorrow

Anybody know if they are MOL publicity stunts or any new routes/bases/aircraft allocations?

conradmueller
16th Jun 2008, 20:08
For NRN it could be the long discussed NRN-SXF twice daily schedule.

revo
16th Jun 2008, 21:27
According to BHX thread new FR routes from BHX:

ALICANTE
LONDONDERRY
FUERTEVENTURA
KATOWICE
KAUNAS
MALAGA
PALMA
KRAKOW
MURCIA

frfly
16th Jun 2008, 23:22
how long have fr got to wait before they can launch competing routes with established airlines at bhx? I thought that was one of the conditions in the base launch. If so, would be great to see a BHX - EDI and PIK, the midlands/scotland could do with reliable links at reasonable prices.

groundhogbhx
17th Jun 2008, 08:40
Last time I checked ALC, MJV and AGP all had established airlines on them, so does BTS which i believe starts soon.

GayFriendly
17th Jun 2008, 08:48
None of these routes are in the drop down destination box on FR website as of yet, i'm not sure of the agreement between BHX and FR but they have 'been allowed' to start MRS and BTS both of which have airlines serving them already. I doubt FR would have agreed to a full blown BHX base if they can only fly to places not already served by existing carriers. Question is is there really enough demand for three airlines to AGP, ALC etc??

uncovered
17th Jun 2008, 08:53
RELEASE

17th JUNE 2008

Ryanair starts 25th Base at birmingham

& announces A further 9 new routes

$700M INVESTMENT TO DELIVER 5M PAX P.A. AND 5,000 JOBS

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline today (17th June) started its 25th base in Birmingham. Ryanair also announced today that it will launch 9 new routes to, Alicante, Derry, Fuerteventura, Katowice, Kaunas, Krakow, Palma, Malaga and Murcia in October 2008.

Celebrating Ryanair’s 25th base in Birmingham today, Ryanair’s Bridget Dowling said:

“There’s a double celebration at Birmingham International Airport this week. We’re celebrating the arrival of our first based aircraft here and we’re also announcing a further 9 new routes which go on sale today. With 32 low fare routes announced from Birmingham to date, people of the West Midlands no longer have to suffer BA high fares or their high fuel surcharges.

By 2012 , Ryanair will have aircraft based in Birmingham, which will deliver 5M passengers p. a. sustaining 5,000 jobs. This will equate to £400 M visitor spend for theWest Midlands. While other airlines, like BA, are busy increasing fares and fuel surcharges, Ryanair is guaranteeing the lowest fares and no fuel surcharges.

To celebrate the start of our new base and the announcement of 9 new routes, Ryanair is offering 35,000 one-way seats from £5* on routes from Birmingham. This special offer must end Thursday midnight so we advise passengers to book their bargain seats today on www.ryanair.com”.

Peter Vella, Birmingham Airport's Business Development Director, said:

"We are delighted to be officially unveiling Birmingham Airport as Ryanair's 25th base as well as welcoming the announcement of these further nine scheduled routes from the airport.

These new services will offer passengers travelling from their local airport even greater choice and flexibility, allowing them to travel from within their region - whether that be for leisure or business."

*1 way including taxes & charges

JadeGoody
17th Jun 2008, 08:54
MOL pressconferance live http://server2.cartmandsl.de:8000/;stream.nsv

Budfrey27
17th Jun 2008, 09:08
UPDATE:- FR new routes from BHX

info so far:-

ALC 28/10 4pw
LDY 26/10 daily
FUE 28/10 3pw
KTW 27/10 5pw
KRK 26/10 4pw
KUN 26/10 2pw
AGP 26/10 daily
MJV 30/10 2pw
PMI 28/10 3pw

cheers
Bud :ok:

VanBosh
17th Jun 2008, 09:33
Is that 2 new aircraft?

Stewart28
17th Jun 2008, 10:05
I see the new routes from BHX are now bookable

jamesp
17th Jun 2008, 18:59
how many airlines does anyone think will be suffering due to fr's expansion at bhx. My opinion is, as mentioned ( in a prev title ) bmibaby easyjet might reduce their flights ( as in destinations )or even pack up, possibly tcx and tom might reduce flights or even start a price war against fr, i guess it wont be long before we find out. As for smaller airlines i.e aer arren, eastern i dont think i'll be holding my breath if fr starts flights to same destinations in uk and ireland

loveJet
18th Jun 2008, 00:53
Survival of the fittest, you can't escape it

JulietNovemberPapa
18th Jun 2008, 08:34
Anything to report regarding FR's apparent 3 German press conferences yesterday (17/6)? Did they go ahead? I haven't seen or heard anything at all.

boyzinblue
18th Jun 2008, 09:45
Only heard a summary from Weeze. MOL went on about high fuel prices and that Weeze-Berlin is not on the cards for the moment. Will not invest more in Weeze until problems with landing after official hours is sorted.

JulietNovemberPapa
18th Jun 2008, 10:30
He was asked about the transatlantic proposal, to which he responded as follows (roughly translated from German*):

"In economy you will get across the pond for 10 EUR." For business class, he announced a very special frill: "In business, there will be "beds and b***jobs" for passengers." The press officer to his left almost choked as she was just sipping on a glass of water. These flights incl. sex would cost between 4.000 and 5.000 EUR. While those present at the press conference listened with bated breath, O'Leary thinks about a suitable translation for the English term that describes oral sex. "Unbelievable, don't you guys have a German word for b***job?", he asks with a big grin."

LOL. ;)

http://www.derwesten.de/nachrichten/...008/6/18/news-56224368/detail.html (http://www.derwesten.de/nachrichten/waz/2008/6/18/news-56224368/detail.html)

ryansf
18th Jun 2008, 11:28
I think it was a joke to differentiate between business and economy, about the fact that in business you'll get everything included, but you'll have to pay for everything in economy. I highly doubt we'd see that service on a plane, even if this is Michael O'Leary!!

bermudatriangle
18th Jun 2008, 12:54
ryanair have raised the excess baggage charge from £7.50 per kilo to £12.00 per kilo.that's an increase of 60%.perhaps this enables the airline to continue without imposing fuel surcharges.the days of a cheap return to europe seem to be over,the very market that enabled ryanair to grow and flourish.

Angry Rebel
18th Jun 2008, 14:02
days of a cheap return to europe seem to be over

Why? Can you not pack a bag for a week of holidays, or a long weekend without exceeding 15kg? Leave that copy of War & Peace at home and you'll be fine...

frfly
18th Jun 2008, 14:31
FR's charges are now far above industry average but then again their fares are lower. FR want passengers to travel with hand luggage only and check in online, it will cut down handling costs and reduce the time spent on the ground. However, obviously not even MOL believes the day will ever arrive where 100% of passengers will do this, so in the mean time they will make a nice amount of money from it.

It is working though, the amount of online check-in pax has climbed so much that some routes are seeing way over 50% of pax avoiding check-in.

I think it's fair to say to Ryanair that fuel costs have dramatically increased, and so therefore those 15KGs obviously cost more to transport now than say this time last year, therefore you need to pay for it.

I don't think the charges can really go much higher though before it begins to have a negative impact on demand. Time will tell.

JulietNovemberPapa
18th Jun 2008, 14:36
I booked 5 FR flights recently:

EMA-BHD: £10.99 all-in.
BRS-DUB-BRS: £22.20 all-in.
STN-SNN-STN: £2.42 all-in.

I only ever have hand luggage; I always check-in online; I always pay by debit card; etc.

Easy.

I can see why some people - primarily families - have to check in luggage. Fair enough. But they could still take less - perhaps 2 or 3 checked bags rather than 4 for a family of 4 - so as to spend less. Exactly as my colleague does.

rubik101
18th Jun 2008, 15:55
Bermuda Triangle, you just don't get it do you? If you book reasonably well in advance, check-in on line, carry a bag of less than 15kg and pay by debit card, you can still fly from one end of Europe to the other and back again for £50 or less. Find me any other airline that comes even close, other than easyJet and then you can write garbage like that.

BAs fuel surcharge is more than that!

qwertyuiop
18th Jun 2008, 16:07
J N P,

You must be a tax evading magician. Th taxes for STN SNN STN are £9.99 and £15.31. Thats £25.30 in tax even if you get a "free fare". Please tell how you got it for "2.42 all in.

OliWW
18th Jun 2008, 16:46
I have also just booked a Ryanair flight to Belfast City from EMA...

£0.02p it cost me, no tax return flight... And i check in online which is cheaper

frfly
18th Jun 2008, 16:48
since when has ryanair given a damn about taxes! they'll pay them for you, and recover the costs from else where.

European low cost air travel is changing, the seat is merely becoming a factor of a much wider product. See the seat if you like as the advertising space inbetween your favourite programme, you become the active audience that has to listen and watch the SELL SELL SELL. From the moment you book right up until you land with Ryanair you are in this medium of selling. Ie the bags you "add-on", the airport check-in, the travel insurance, hotels, hostels, villas, parking, the excess baggage, the priority boarding, the drinks, snacks, scratch cards, tax free goods, the adds you stare at for 2 hours on the lockers or seat backs, the jingles and upselling songs you have to bare on board, right up to the car hire you can get discount on at the arrival airport the transfers etc etc etc.

Its an exciting time for those who are into their business, but a sad one for those who desperatly want to hold onto the traditional aspect of flying.

They might not be everyones cup of tea, but they are certainly doing something right!

JulietNovemberPapa
18th Jun 2008, 18:13
You must be a tax evading magician.

Or I just visit Ryanair.com, see the have in the middle of their frontpage "2 MILLION FREE SEATS - NO TAXES, NO FEES, NO CHARGES" and book.

They've done this around a dozen times over the past couple of years. One difference that has materalised in the past few occasions is that you have to pay to use a credit/debit card, whereas previously with the deal it was zero no matter the type of card. Hence before it would have been 2p and that's all for STN-SNN-STN, whereas now it is 2p plus £2.40 debit card fees (£1.20/sector; credit cards more). Of course, I'm not for a minute complaining. :ok:

Charlie Roy
18th Jun 2008, 18:22
Restarted: Shannon (SNN) to Lodz
New: Nottinghamto Faro
New: Nottingham to Puerto del Rosario, Fuerteventura
New: Nottingham to Prague
New: Liverpool to Faro
New: Liverpool to Gdansk
New: Liverpool to Knock
New: Liverpool to Szczecin
New: Shannon to Gdansk
New: Shannon to Katowice

http://www.theairdb.com

freightdoggy dog
18th Jun 2008, 19:26
frfly....it really is quite simple to pack 10kg into a cabin bag and check in on-line and avoid all those Q's and charges. If you dont like the sell sell sell, take an mp3 and a book and listen to your favourite music while you read a good yarn.

Ryanair pax are wise to MOL and his stand and deliver money grabbing, which is why he is now panicked into raising his excess charges per kg even higher. Its quite simply another way to recover the higher cost of his unhedged fuel, but being MOL he can't fess up and call it as such without losing face.

I personally take great delight in flying on Ryanair and knowing that he has lost money on my seat purchase, because thats all it is..a seat to sit on for 2 hours.

OliWW
18th Jun 2008, 20:44
I have heard that Ryanair are to announce East Midlands - Perpignan

The Real Slim Shady
18th Jun 2008, 20:58
EMA - BHX could be a winner first thing in the morning and then peak time in the evening to avoid the M42!!

EGAC_Ramper
18th Jun 2008, 23:35
Interesting Fuertaventura/Prague and Faro all from EMA. However can't see Perpignan as we already fly to Carcassone out of EMA and BHX are doing Perpignan themselves unless its all to do with the recent strike by staff at Carcassone to "punish" them. Who knows but I'm glad to see Faro added.

Cheers:ok:

Balair
19th Jun 2008, 10:54
Three new routes from EMA now bookable.

FAO from 28/10 - Tue/Thur/Sat
FUE from 28/10 - Tue/Thur/Sat
PRG from 26/10 - Sun/Tue/Thur/Sat

Telstar
19th Jun 2008, 11:06
Video of German press call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfIY24BErBE

Haitch
19th Jun 2008, 11:14
When did Ryanair introduce the electronic stairs on their aircraft? Such a simple thing but very effective. savers having to wait for the groundforce to find some mobile steps from somewhere!

Also, as a sidenote how long a delay does there have to be before Ryanair will issue vouchers or compo?

Help up last night on the 21:45 STN - Prestwick did not leave till 23:30 not too major but just interested.

thanks

Charlie Roy
19th Jun 2008, 12:12
how long a delay does there have to be before Ryanair will issue vouchers or compo?

2 hours for a short haul flight

FL370 Officeboy
19th Jun 2008, 12:20
Re: Electronic stairs. These have been a feature on 737s worldwide for some time. I do believe the DC9/MD80 also had such equipment fitted.

sawtooth
19th Jun 2008, 12:49
Don't forget the old 1-11s, front and rear stairs.

EGAC_Ramper
19th Jun 2008, 13:43
All of the FR B738's have had the airstairs fitted as standard (front only)

Regards

Centre cities
19th Jun 2008, 16:17
Thought that all 737 had front airstairs unless they were requested not to be fitted.

The 737 100 series had them at the front and under the fusalage at the rear ala 1/11, or at least LH ones did.

Though Ryanair would save some weight by not having them unless a counter weight would need to be fitted like what happened with the 510 series BA 1/11.

Centre cities

Charlie Roy
19th Jun 2008, 16:23
BHX - Prague

SquareOne
19th Jun 2008, 16:34
Re: Electronic Stairs

Did easyJet not previously have the electric steps but got rid of them because they weighed around 600kg? And without the weight they saved the fuel...

adam12345
19th Jun 2008, 17:47
From 31st July 2008 Ryanair will stop flying to Arad Airport in Romania.

Ryanair Holdings Plc. said all the flights to Romania's Arad airport have been cancelled effective July 31, due to the failure of the County Council and its president, Iosif Matula to sign and honour its agreement with Ryanair.

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/06/19/afx5133411.html

bermudatriangle
19th Jun 2008, 19:01
dumping arad in romania comes as no surprise...as anyone unfortunate enough to have visited the place will confirm.

JulietNovemberPapa
19th Jun 2008, 19:19
dumping arad in romania comes as no surprise...as anyone unfortunate enough to have visited the place will confirm.

Such a route would be based on VFR traffic, so what the place is like doesn't matter.

OliWW
19th Jun 2008, 21:09
Ive just read that BHX-PRG will only operate from 1st Aug to 25th Oct until the EMA-PRG flight starts

Charlie Roy
19th Jun 2008, 21:25
That's a strange one.
Sounds to me that Ryanair have recently sealed a deal with Prague, and are now making sure they deliever the agreed number of passengers :cool:

Telstar
19th Jun 2008, 21:36
Ryanair Holdings Plc. said all the flights to Romania's Arad airport have been cancelled effective July 31, due to the failure of the County Council and its president, Iosif Matula to sign and honour its agreement with Ryanair.

All? There is just one flight to Arad from BGY, and only three times a week at that. Probably means that the new Flights to Palermo and/or Ibiza will be picked up by a BGY based aircraft.

Such a route would be based on VFR traffic

What is VFR traffic?

Centre cities
19th Jun 2008, 21:46
Common term for visit friends and Relatives.

Centre cities

rafinha130
19th Jun 2008, 23:11
Does anyone knows if LPL - OPO and BRS - OPO will be dropped inthe next winter?

Both non bookable and don't appear in the timetable.

adam12345
20th Jun 2008, 16:03
Birmingham-Prague starts on the 26th October, with flights on

Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Friday

where as East Midlands: Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday-Sunday

revo
20th Jun 2008, 16:05
BHX to PRG is not a temporary destination as it starts 26th October and not 1st August.

frfly
20th Jun 2008, 16:23
Freight Doggy Dog - I completely agree with you, I was laying it down for those who continue to bad mouth Ryanair when what they are doing is still making them money when others are failing.

boyzinblue
20th Jun 2008, 19:44
Are the three new polish routes from Shannon a result of other routes being discontinued or frequency reductions?

fivejuliet
20th Jun 2008, 21:00
Are the three new polish routes from Shannon a result of other routes being discontinued or frequency reductions?

No. While the Shannon based a/c will be operating these routes, aircraft from other bases will be operating more flights into Shannon from their respective bases (eg BHX EMA etc etc etc etc) which frees up said Shannon aircraft.

anna_list
20th Jun 2008, 21:32
It looks as though BIQ, CCF, BGY, MJV, NTE and TSF all go into hibernation, as they did last winter.

In addition, PMI and ALC (new this summer) don't seem to be bookable this winter, although I'm sure they will be back.

LBA also seems to have gone (-3 per week), which given its miserable performance last winter isn't a huge surprise.

Compared to last winter, RIX (-2) and KUN (-2) are out, but SXF (+2) and the 3 new Polish routes are in (+6), along with the additional daily flight to STN (+7) and to LGW (+7). Overall, the total number of flights looks like being slightly up, by a couple of flights a day.

HEisLEGEND
20th Jun 2008, 22:08
is lisbon totally off the plan in ryr?

fivejuliet
20th Jun 2008, 23:22
SNN-LBA seems to have disappeared recently........seems logical though- Its where the capacity for twice weekly SXF and once weekly TFS came from...........they dropped that one quietely! No annoucement of any sort...

en2r
21st Jun 2008, 17:59
No. While the Shannon based a/c will be operating these routes, aircraft from other bases will be operating more flights into Shannon from their respective bases (eg BHX EMA etc etc etc etc) which frees up said Shannon aircraft
As far as I know from October all flights to/from Shannon will be operated by Shannon based aircraft. Even flights that are currently operated by aircraft from other bases such as flights to Liverpool, Dusseldorf and Luton will be operated by Shannon based aircraft. To enable this most of the Spanish sun routes, all the French routes bar Beauvais and all the Italian routes are being axed for the winter.
SNN-LBA seems to have disappeared recently........seems logical though- Its where the capacity for twice weekly SXF and once weekly TFS came from...........they dropped that one quietely! No annoucement of any sort..
As far as I know SNN-LBA is still operating. Riga and Kaunas were axed to make way for Berlin and TFS. However the route does seem to be axed from October. Presumably since the 738s are just too big for the route during the winter months, similiar to the route's predecessor Bournemouth. Perhaps it'll be back along with the other axed routes next summer?

fivejuliet
21st Jun 2008, 18:14
As far as I know from October all flights to/from Shannon will be operated by Shannon based aircraft. Even flights that are currently operated by aircraft from other bases such as flights to Liverpool, Dusseldorf and Luton will be operated by Shannon based aircraft. To enable this most of the Spanish sun routes, all the French routes bar Beauvais and all the Italian routes are being axed for the winter.

Maybe to a certain extent- but still at least half the flights will be foreign aircraft. Three services per week on LTN and EMA are operated by aircraft from those bases and the rest from SNN based, all LPL flights from LPL aircraft (has been so for the last 2 years). Not too sure what the story with NRN will be...

en2r
21st Jun 2008, 18:33
Thats the way things are at the moment but this will change at the end of the summer schedule in October. Checked random dates in November and all Shannon-Liverpool flights operate with a Shannon based aircraft departing Shannon at 8AM and arriving back at 10.25AM (flights an hour earlier on Saturdays). Similiarly all Luton and East Midlands flights will be operated by Shannon based aircraft. I've checked, and as far as I can see from the end of October all flights to/from Shannon are operated by Shannon based aircraft!

BombardierCR7
21st Jun 2008, 18:39
Quote en2r "As far as I know SNN-LBA is still operating"

SNN-LBA is axed as of Jul-2

kingston_toon
23rd Jun 2008, 13:01
I flew Luton - Bergamo - Arad last month as a super-cheap way of getting to Romania (total of under £10 inc all taxes) and while the flight to Arad was fairly well filled (80%+), Arad airport really was a dump. We walked across the tarmac towards the "terminal" and past the un-manned passport desks before two guards came running in and shouted at us to all come back. Baggage reclaim was a small room with a door, through which the bags would be thrown. The exit door from baggage reclaim opened out into the car park. A quick look at departures suggested a small room with two check-in desks, and a door leading straight through security to a tiny departure lounge. There's no ATM for those needing currency, although the taxi drivers will take Euros at a ridiculous exchange rate.

Still, I loved it and it'll be a shame to see the route go. I was really hoping Ryanair would expand into Romania, but this just leaves Pisa - Constanta, and I wonder how long that will last?

Readability 5
23rd Jun 2008, 15:14
Baggage reclaim was a small room with a door, through which the bags would be thrown.

Reminds me of East Midlands circa 1987, where at domestic arrivals the bags would be thrown in through a sliding window, sometimes even landing on the baggage belt they were aimed at!

R5

rafinha130
24th Jun 2008, 10:51
Does anyone knows if LPL - OPO and BRS - OPO will be dropped inthe next winter?

Both non bookable and don't appear in the timetable.

Nobody knows?

cesare.caldi
24th Jun 2008, 15:54
Ryanair new route:

New:Bari, Palese (BRI) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/BRI.html) to Gudja, Malta International (MLA) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/MLA.html)

3x week from 28 october

Probably is a W route: HHN-BRI-MLA-BRI-HHN

Seat62K
25th Jun 2008, 14:08
Does anyone know exactly why the Ryanair reservations system is so slow right now (for the second time in barely a week)? They must be losing tons of bookings (mine included)! Did they use "lowcost" IT services? If so, I imagine that MOL is still waiting for someone to answer on the £1 a minute technical support helpline.....:}

The Real Slim Shady
25th Jun 2008, 14:43
That'll be the all singing all dancing "new" system installed at a cost of several million euros which isn't over all its teething troubles!

FLYboh
25th Jun 2008, 20:30
Does anyone know why it is not possible to book flights between BOH and PIK between the 19-12-08 and 05-01-09? Seems a bit strange as flights are bookable before and after these dates.:confused:

ryan2000
25th Jun 2008, 20:54
Cork Bristol an option on the Ryanair website. Is this a throw back to the return flight operated by the based aircraft for the Heineken Cup Final or are rumours of a new service accurate?

JulietNovemberPapa
26th Jun 2008, 12:12
Info. on FR's new BRI-MLA-BRI, and FR's plan for MLA.

timesofmalta.com - Ryanair swaps Bremen for Bari, confident of further growth (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20080625/local/ryanair-swaps-bremen-for-bari-confident-of-further-growth)

Budfrey27
27th Jun 2008, 10:28
Morning....can anyone tell me when Maribor disappeared off FR's radars please?
cheers
Bud

JulietNovemberPapa
27th Jun 2008, 11:28
can anyone tell me when Maribor disappeared off FR's radars

End of March.

Interestingly, LCCs have dropped 80% of routes to/from Slovenia, as here: Adria Airways dominates Slovenian traffic - LCCs have dropped 80% of routes | anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/2008/05/09/adria-airways-dominates-slovenian-traffic-lccs-have-dropped-80-of-routes/)

Budfrey27
27th Jun 2008, 11:58
...many thanks..very informative

cheers
Bud :ok:

Evileyes
30th Jun 2008, 20:35
Several recent passenger/customer service questions have been moved to the Passengers and SLF Forum.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/333232-ryanair-questions.html

Charlie Roy
2nd Jul 2008, 22:02
I see Air Baltic will go head to head with Ryanair on the Riga to Tampere route.
Ryanair already offer a daily evening service.
Air Baltic will offer a twice daily service (morning and evening).

I'm surprised, because Ryanair never seem to be making much money on the route...

stev
3rd Jul 2008, 02:45
Hi all, was talking to a mate in RYR says thed incoming -800 options have been renegoiated for 73-9ER same type to send the lads trans atlantic on a tripal period. Futura running 220 pax on this type if im not mistaken?? Could be a runner who knows

Dysag
3rd Jul 2008, 06:15
... unless MOL is planning to charge the punters extra for a stop in Keflavik. According to Boeing's sales numbers the -900ER has a range of 2700nm with 215 pax. Remove their marketing bull**** factor and that becomes more like 2500nm, maximum.

flugholm
3rd Jul 2008, 07:36
According to the wonderful Great Circle Mapper at Great Circle Mapper (http://gc.kls2.com/) it's

SNN Shannon (Limerick), IE
ISP Islip [Long Island Mac Arthur Airport], NY, US
SNN (52°42'07"N 08°55'29"W) ISP (40°47'43"N 73°06'01"W) 281° (W) 2648 nm

But then again, it may be just another MOL idea... :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
3rd Jul 2008, 07:43
And Providence and Manchester ( Southwest cities) are 2500nms from Shannon.

The joys of 2 sector days to look forward to.

stilton
3rd Jul 2008, 07:58
Yes, but, aren't you supposed to arrive with a little left, oh and there is that headwind thing:confused:

Romeo India Xray
3rd Jul 2008, 08:20
How about SNN-YQX (Gander). In true FR fashion it could be dubbed "New York NE". Circa 2000nm and once out of the terminal its a PAX problem just how they get from the airport to downtown. :}

fivejuliet
3rd Jul 2008, 10:10
How about SNN-YQX (Gander). In true FR fashion it could be dubbed "New York NE". Circa 2000nm and once out of the terminal its a PAX problem just how they get from the airport to downtown. :}

I like it! :}:ok:

harrogate
3rd Jul 2008, 10:25
Come on guys, time for a little bit of joined-up thinking here...

FSTA will legitimise itself in part by using the new A330 tankers in the civil sector. But who said anything about them carrying passengers?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/harrogate/tanker-1.jpg

Gordon and MOL have clearly been plotting this for a while.

It's the answer to sooo many problems.

Funkie
3rd Jul 2008, 11:08
You might not be far off the mark there harrogate.

Air-to-Air Tanker Plan (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article546963.ece)

heli_port
3rd Jul 2008, 11:59
Low-cost airline Ryanair has increased its stake in Aer Lingus to just under 30%, after it was blocked from buying its rival Irish carrier.
Ryanair has bought an extra 3.5 million shares, taking its stake up to 29.8% from 29%.
Were Ryanair's stake to exceed 29.9%, it would be required to make a bid for the remaining shares in the company.
Ryanair's plan to merge with Aer Lingus was blocked by the European Commission, a ruling it is currently challenging.
Ryanair argues that the Commission's 2007 decision to veto a deal was "unlawful" and "politically motivated" and has launched an appeal at the Court of First Instance.
The Commission said that the deal was against the public interest as the combined firm would control of 80% of all European flights out of Dublin airport.
But Ryanair maintains a combined business would have less than 5% of the entire EU market and would reduce fares and eliminate fuel surcharges, saving passengers £100m a year. Aer Lingus failed to force Ryanair to sell its stake last year.

BBC NEWS | Business | Ryanair tops up Aer Lingus stake (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7487446.stm)

RAT 5
3rd Jul 2008, 12:07
Why a -900. There were plans by various companies a few years ago, and I don't mean BBJ operators, to fly e.g. GVA - Toronto with -700 or -800's. The bigger fuselage doesn't mean extra range, only more paxs. With a belly tank in a -800 I would have thought it capable of B757 ranges, and guess what BA used on the Boston runs.

OliWW
3rd Jul 2008, 12:39
Maybe the B737.700 would be a quick thought, especially with the economy the way it is, its cheap and can travel the distance from Dublin to New York for example...

Re-Heat
3rd Jul 2008, 12:43
All very well, but as has been proven repeatedly, you don't make money on economy longhaul - you make money on cargo and business passengers.

Not only are business and cargo not interested in being 2 hours from city centres, but I can't see family of 4 being interested in arriving at an airport with no connections to a city either.

Shorthaul is an entirely different proposition.

Tom the Tenor
3rd Jul 2008, 14:28
A query on behalf of an acquaintance whom needs to travel to Madrid as cheapy as possible from the London area in order to help out tending to an elderly relative - when is Ryanair starting Madrid - Stansted? Thanks. Have checked around on the Ryanair web site trying to find it but it is failing me to find the start date.

Wish they would do Madrid - Cork but wish lists dont count for much any more, do they, in this new oil climate.

Alas.

FA10
3rd Jul 2008, 14:52
Madrid is to start at 26. October, twice daily. Departures in STN 0830 and 1900.
rgds

Tom the Tenor
3rd Jul 2008, 15:11
Thank you, FA10, very much for the update. Will be passing on that info in 1.5 hours from now.

LOGICAL
3rd Jul 2008, 15:35
MOL was talking about business class transatlantic when he made his comments about beds and blow jobs

Leo Hairy-Camel
3rd Jul 2008, 17:02
In Chaos (http://markets.ft.com/tearsheets/performance.asp?s=AERL%3AISE); opportunity. (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-buys-more-shares-as-aer-lingus-slumps-1425935.html)

KENNEDY TOWER
3rd Jul 2008, 17:47
Well done Mr.O Leary it wont be long now before you make a real competative airline out of Aer Lingus.:ugh:

MarkD
3rd Jul 2008, 18:04
I would say Stewart, not Islip. NYC airspace congestion makes heading out of the city a necessity to even consider a substantial operation and KSWF's location (73 miles from Manhattan) is much more Ryanair-like - plus that 11,800ft runway they've got. Remember you've got to put a 73NG full of Americans across the pond - 7,000ft at ISP isn't generous!

thelevel
3rd Jul 2008, 18:33
Remember that RY at BHX was based on facilities not cost. This is a former BA hub facility that was never fully utilised, perhaps RY see this as London North (fast light rail to Bham Intl station and 70 minutes to London may be seen as just as attractive as Heathblow.) RY are expanding rapidly - could we see this as a move into ahib and spoke type operation to incorparate the transatlantic ops??

Temet_Nosce
3rd Jul 2008, 18:45
...and the result (http://finance.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chdet=1215110410500&chddm=81466&q=LON:RYA&)?

dada
3rd Jul 2008, 19:02
i believe legislation sould be brought in that limits the amount of time people can spend on a ryr a/c. for me 2 hours is enough of the lowlife that seem to inhabit these a/c - god forbid what effect 8 hours would have on a half decent soul.

lexoncd
3rd Jul 2008, 22:09
Ryanair have removed the full price quote facility when selecting a flight. This is in breech of current regulations requiriung all taxes and charegs to be shown at the time of selection.

Hope the Oft throw the book at them for this blatent abuse

OltonPete
3rd Jul 2008, 22:41
lexoncd

Lucky devil - all I have had since 18.00 is a white screen on the FR site!

Agree though, just before that the taxes were on the next page.

I assume technical problems and to be fair it has never been the same
since they changed - well not on my PC.

Pete

KENNEDY TOWER
4th Jul 2008, 05:48
Hi,

OK point taken on the low share price of RYR shares however all the major companies shares have taken a tumble due to the credit crunch and lack of consumer spending. The airlines are getting hit very:mad: hard due to high oil prices and oil speculators coupled with consumer belt tightning. However RYR have a war chest of over £4 BILLION so they are not short of cash and can easily wether the storm.
When RYR take over Aer lingus the obvious move is to eliminate all the EI services in Europe RYR can fly those routes. Next EI have a very good Atlantic network flown by highly experienced pilots,Mr O Leary will tweek the North Atlantic and devote all his time and his team to accomplish this. That said I can see RYR becoming a real serious player not only in Europe but also on the North Atlantic..
Interesting times ahead!!!!! Good Luck to Ryanair:D

Flitefone
4th Jul 2008, 08:20
Good to see some decent vision on Prune.

MOL will undoubtedly win the legal challenge on EIN probably no later than early 2010.

Meanwhile EIN will shrink, 2009 will be painful for them, but I predict that 2010 will see one large Irish airline, with a mega European network that also operates Transatlantics from Dublin, London and Shannon of course.

With Transatlantic operations from Frankfurt, Milan and probably Madrid to come by 2011.... and Asia - I reckon even Asia & Australia will feature on the radar by 2012 at the latest.

Air AsiaX will not ride into STN, without some head on competition.

You read it here first!

FF

OneWorld22
4th Jul 2008, 08:29
EI pilots have really taken a bath with the EI share price....

Pilots in Aer Lingus nursing paper losses of €34m

PILOTS IN Aer Lingus are nursing paper losses of €34 million as a result of the recent steep decline in the airline’s share price.

This is based on an analysis of share trading by both Irish Airline Pilots Pensions Ltd and Tailwind Nominees Ltd following Ryanair’s offer for Aer Lingus in October 2006 and their shareholdings in advance of the failed bid by Michael O’Leary.

The pilots’ pension fund owns just over 12 million shares, which cost it €35.3 million. This stock is now worth €15.1 million, leaving the pension fund nursing a paper loss of €20.1 million.

Tailwind, meanwhile, owns 9.7 million shares. It paid just over €26 million to build that position and the shares are now worth just €12.2 million. This leaves it with a paper loss of €13.8 million.

These losses are based on Aer Lingus’s closing share price in Dublin yesterday of €1.26. The pilots paid up to €3.04 for their shares.

When contacted, Evan Cullen, president of the Irish Airline Pilots Association and a director of Tailwind, declined to comment.

The pilots have previously stated that they are long-term investors in Aer Lingus.

Accounts just filed for Tailwind show that it made a loss of €5.9 million in the year to the end of September 30th, 2007.

The company is funded by members contributions. About 500 Aer Lingus pilots are members of the scheme, along with 20-30 Ryanair pilots, and cabin crew and middle management at Aer Lingus. Annual contributions range from €10,000 to €60,000 based on service, rank and salaries.

© 2008 The Irish Times

4th Jul 2008, 08:35
The pilots losses are nothing compared to Ryanair's

Between Ryanair's stake, the Irish government's, ESOT, the pilot's stake and Denis O'Brien's - none of which are available for trading - there must be a serious problem with liquidity in Aer Lingus shares now, with every significant buy or sell decision causing comparatively large share price changes.

QWERTY9
4th Jul 2008, 09:16
So if 2 hours is enough for you when flying RYR would you also consider yourself one of those lowlife !!! :mad:

en2r
4th Jul 2008, 11:03
MOL will undoubtedly win the legal challenge on EIN probably no later than early 2010.

Meanwhile EIN will shrink, 2009 will be painful for them, but I predict that 2010 will see one large Irish airline, with a mega European network that also operates Transatlantics from Dublin, London and Shannon of course.

Flitefone, you obviously don't know much about Aer Lingus. Whether or not Ryanair win the legal battle is irrelevant if shareholders won't sell their shares to them. What is often forgotten is that before the EU blocked the attempted hostile takeover the takeup by Aer Lingus shareholders for the Ryanair deal was virtually non existent, less than 1% of shareholders voted to accept the deal (excluding the shares already held by Ryanair) despite the fact that the initial offer period had expired, and had even been extended. While in the current climate the takeup would probably be higher, the Irish government, the Employee Share Ownership trust, the Pilots and Denis O'Brien own about 47% of Aer Lingus shares between them. They are all staunchly opposed to the Ryanair bid and would never agree to sell their stakes. Even if every single other Aer Lingus shareholder agreed to sell (highly unlikely) to Ryanair the maximum they could get would be 53%. With only a bare majority, Ryanair would not be able to make any big decisions such as on the fleet, on any sale of Heathrow slots or even any new bases. They also would not be able to delist the company, or Ryanair would not be able to takeover Aer Lingus. The 2 airlines would have to remain 2 seperate entities. There is zero chance of Ryanair and Aer Lingus merging into one Irish airline, simply because the other shareholders won't let it!!!

eu01
4th Jul 2008, 11:25
All I have had is a white screen on the FR site!

I assume technical problems and to be fair it has never been the same
since they changed - well not on my PC.
Ryanair is obviously backing the wrong horse here - and I do not mean MOL's War of Attrition. The software has been extremely slow, rough and ready, unable to cope with big amount of data to process.
Think of those thousands of potential customers tired with waiting or annoyed with the asthenic screens meaning the notion of insecurity... How many of them went away to check other options and booked with the competitors? How much did this turmoil (started weeks and weeks ago during the famous "upgrade" of the site) actually cost Ryanair in terms of real money?

Flitefone
4th Jul 2008, 12:56
en2r I think you are allowing the politics of today's shareownership to cloud the prediction I am supporting.

I am talking about 2010, not 2006.

The pilots views are significant today because the Aer Lingus is still a reasonable (ish) size, but as the airline shrinks, and it inevitably will, while some others (RYR) grow, the once loud pilot voice will become ever more mute.

How many of those pilots would swallow their pride to accept Euro 2.80 today when the share price is a depressing Euro 1.21. More than a few I'm sure. We all have our price.

Don't put it past MOL to make it clear that what he offers in consideration to the Irish Govt for their share in EIN, will pay for x hospitals, x schools etc. In the end MOL needs the Irish tax payer on his side, not the EIN pilots.

I agree that RYR will not likely offer 2.80 again, but the thing to recognise is that they or someone else could.. and no government or union can stop that in European society.

My main point on RYR is nevertheless that they will go long haul, they will win the EU legal challenge re EIN investment, and they will push EIN aside sooner or later whether by consuming them or killing them. Aer Lingus is too small and too bureacratic to change fast enough and avoid it.

The challenge for Aer Lingus today is how to exploit the inevitability of their future for the benefit first of its shareholders and second it's staff.

To deny that at EIN is a bit like Austrian or bmi pushing Lufthansa away, we all know how that will end up.

In the end it all comes down to who has the money and how they can legally spend it.

I know where my bets are.

FF

Tom the Tenor
4th Jul 2008, 15:58
Your comment makes sobering reading, Flitefone, with regards to the years ahead for Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

MO'L has still not consumed or killed off Aer Arann on Cork - Dublin and he has been trying hard now for a few years so in a way FR can be stood up to a point at least.

Off course, if it is inevitable that FR go longhaul, that changes the whole picture. They will still need to have a product worth buying and in the next few years even cheaper long haul travel will hardly be the stuff of low prices like they have been for a few years in the short haul market.

MarkD
4th Jul 2008, 17:31
If the Exchequer figures keep going the way they are Brian Cowen will sell his family, never mind EI shares, if MOL can offer a face-saving price. If a deal can be worked out with Denis O'Brien then that leaves the pilots in a very exposed position.

The question is whether the numbers make sense for FR shareholders - if they ever did.

Flitefone
4th Jul 2008, 17:39
One thing for sure, none of us can predict the future, but there are some very powerful players out there, RYR being one. LH, AF and RYR will be the big three in Europe by far before long.

Going to be an interesting year ahead. Loads of work in the Gulf fortunately.... and the sun shines there!

FF

Wonder Boy
4th Jul 2008, 21:49
Flitefone,

Some of the current Aer Lingus pilots have had the experience of working for ryanair in the past.

As a group, they are vividly aware of the damaging effects ryanair management has already had on the career of the airline pilot.

I can guarantee, in total certainty, they cannot be bought out.

BHX5DME
5th Jul 2008, 08:16
Up 19% to 5.17m (4.35m in June 2007), load factor 84% (85% in June 2007)

12m ending 30.06.08 - 53.29m pax with a load factor of 81%

No doubt helped by their new BHX base !

frfly
5th Jul 2008, 08:23
How are all the new routs performing from the UK. EDI loads seem very strong, ALC, PSA and DUB all looking good. SNN continues to look weak.

How long will it be till RYR announce new routes and extra aircraft at EDI?

How are loads at the two new bases BOH and BHX?

OltonPete
5th Jul 2008, 09:44
frfly

With the base less than three weeks old there is little information at hand
at present but most of the based flights are supposed to be doing well.

However this does not say a lot as it is July and the fares on some routes
were quite low. One or two loads mentioned on the Scandi, Polish and French routes have been excellent.

It was the earlier new routes from the "away" bases which have not been
so good. Marseille averaged about 90 in May and that was before BMI baby re-instated their flight. Pisa had increased to about 118 per flight
in May but this is still disappointing - thought this one would be better.

Girona is fine up to 70%+ in May already but Shannon still around 60%.

The June CAA provisional stats will be out soon and they will give a bit more insight to load factor but alas not yield.

Pete