PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Viewfrom5Bells
12th Apr 2008, 14:57
are often there to serve British second home owners. With the pound collapsing against the Euro it'll be increasingly difficult to pay the euro mortgage on French homes and I would suggest that very few people will be buying property abroad with one only getting about E1.20 to the pound. A significant part of the Ryanair customers will not be flying as much.

Viewfrom5Bells
12th Apr 2008, 15:00
£700 million last year and £490 million next even with fuel at near $100 per barrel. not sure that constitutes a crisis.

RFusmoke
12th Apr 2008, 15:33
they grounded one in Limoges already this year...a couple more and 2 billion in bank won t matter

The Real Slim Shady
12th Apr 2008, 15:47
Yeh but we'll get to use that jet again ................................unlike a certain BA 777 at LHR!!!!

jimworcs
12th Apr 2008, 15:50
It is simple, the people who have used Ryanair regularly in the past have had sufficient negative experiences to understand that a company that is so hostile to its customers, which refuses to acknowledge it can ever make a mistake and refuses to right wrongs cannot survive in the long term. MOL could present himself as an anti-establishment maverick people's champion when he was in charge of a small, up and coming airline challenging the big boys. He is now the big boy, the largest carrier in Europe and they use their power to attack their customers. Examples, their new website launch was a mess.. but passengers seeking redress have been hung up on and found it impossible to get redress. Many have been charged twice or more, found errors and Ryanair know this, but have done nothing to assist them. The low cost pioneer, SouthWest operates many of the same policies as Ryanair, but their culture is so different flying with them is like chalk and cheese. The staff of Southwest are fun, light-hearted and do everything they can to help you. If there is a problem, they are empowered to fix it. This stems from the top, their Chief Executive is friendly, open and relaxed and it is reflected in their culture. Ryanair's Chief Executive is hostile, paranoid and angry and it is reflected in the way he treats his customers and staff. This can't last, and in the next few years you will see that reflected in declining results which will end in the exit of MOL.

eu01
12th Apr 2008, 17:39
jimworcs, I have to agree. The same policies that brought Ryanair to power and made MOL a Big Boy, now very rapidly need to be radically changed. It's still not too late for Ryanair to survive and to continue its growth, but my Goodness, they need an acute face-lifting, the new policy towards the customers not to loose the faithful ones and get even more in the future! It does not necessarily cost much money, it can be done wisely and cost-consciously, but it must be done NOW. Why the man brilliant and creative in economics who did achieve that much in the first stage of his firm's expansion is deaf to customers' opinions and unable to switch to another strategy when the situation changes?

jiffajaffa
12th Apr 2008, 18:16
there will be no doubt MOL will leave Ryanair in the near future however the company is far from the doom and gloom people are predicting, Pax no's have steadily increased since they opened for business in 1985 expecting to carry 57million this year alone so whilst there are unhappy customers everywhere (alot in BA at the moment!!) im sure Ryanairs pax no's will keep increasing as long as they can keep there fares lower than there competitors, common sense prevails if Aer Lingus are offering a flight for 90 Euro and BMI are offering the same flight for 50 who are you going to fly with????

wigglyamp
12th Apr 2008, 21:06
Flew with Ryanair for the first time this week. 25 minute turnrounds were achieved at both ends - no delays at all. Excellent price, reliable, no-frills service. Using on-line check-in with only hand-baggage gave priority boarding. Very impressed! Perhaps some of the bigger players could take a leaf out of RA's book!

Wigglyamp (Ex BA)

frfly
12th Apr 2008, 21:28
I don't see how passengers can complain about getting continued bad customer service from the company. From my experience, a bad customer experience comes from being charged for the excess baggage, charged for their check in, being made to stand at the gate to get a seat.

But do they get cheap fares. Yes. Do they get on-time flights. Yes. Are their bags sitting somewhere in Italy waiting to be returned to them. No. Do they fly to places that other airlines could only dream of filling aircraft to. Yes.

Ryanair are a bus in the sky. You pay your fare, you get your transportation.

I agree, trying to get hold of Ryanair direct is a nightmare, and costly. That needs to be addressed.

However, it is handling agents that do a great deal of the "customer service" side for Ryanair. They are paid to do a job. 9 times out of 10 its with a smile. Sometimes, passengers wear you down to the point where that smile disappears.

Everyone says that they will not fly with them again, well be prepared to get the train or drive - or hire a private aircraft - because there isn't going to be anyone but Ryanair and a few others to fly you to that place in a few years. Fact.

Gone are the days of getting a hot towel after your meal, you wan't that, you fly BA, you lose your bags, you travel via another airport, you pay through the rough. The choice is yours.

I agree when things go wrong, you get no help from them. This should be addressed, but let's be honest, MOL just wants to make a name for the airline, has he done it. Yes. Has he done it in the right way? Time will tell.

eu01
12th Apr 2008, 21:30
OK boys, we do wish Ryanair well, many of us at least. There are things, however, that really need to be attend to and improved. I hope they see it.

jimworcs
12th Apr 2008, 21:55
I am not expecting high levels of service, hot towels, meals, etc from Ryanair, no do I expect perks such as interlining that you might get from legacy carriers. I acknowledge that their fares are by far the cheapest, and that when the experience goes well, it is an excellent service for a remarkable price.

The issue I have with Ryanair is that when they get it wrong, they are not willing to hold up their hands and admit it. Instead, they adopt a highly belligerent attittude towards their customers, make it next to impossible to get any kind of resolution and deliberately compound the problem by making it an ordeal for the customer to get any kind of redress. They exploit international boundaries to disempower customers, have "outsourced" their customer services to companies who have no power, nor often, even the necessary information to help and advise customers and their staff attitudes to customers is to say the least patcy and often downright hostile and aggressive.

I deliberately did not compare Ryanair to BA, but instead to Southwest. Southwest also operates a low cost model, does not interline, uses more remote airports, etc... but the difference in their attitute to their customers is dramatic. It is time for MOL to stop playing the victim and allow the airline to mature into a grown up company that has some sense of responsibility to it's customers and some understanding of its obligations.

I do not want Ryanair to fail, but it surely will if it does not change its strategy.

The Real Slim Shady
12th Apr 2008, 21:59
Jimworcs

Are you just another of the complete and utter idiots who are myopic fools?

What part of huge profits don't you understand?

What part of huge amounts of money in the bank don't you understand?

What part of " you will do anything for a cheap ticket" don't you understand?

When the going gets rough FR will survive...because they are cheap.

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

jimworcs
13th Apr 2008, 05:18
I remember when M&S got cocky, making over a billion in profits and thought it was invincible.... what happened to them again? The world is littered with the debris of arrogant companies who believe they are totally invincible. We'll see....

frfly
13th Apr 2008, 07:41
I didn't know about the new hand baggage rule, that's interesting. I can see many web check passengers being caught out on this one. However, most UK security points have gauges at them, which is about the same size as the FR one is it now? I don't know if this is the same in Europe.

An a separate issue, who is the handling agent in DUB for FR? They never charge for anything, while in EDI it seems servisair charge for every KG, even when it hits 16.0 on the scale. Do FR employ "mystery flyers" to check up on agents?

en2r
13th Apr 2008, 09:27
An a separate issue, who is the handling agent in DUB for FR? They never charge for anything, while in EDI it seems servisair charge for every KG, even when it hits 16.0 on the scale. Do FR employ "mystery flyers" to check up on agents?
Ryanair self handle at Dublin

Coquelet
13th Apr 2008, 10:13
I have had some 160 flights with Ryanair, and never had a "negative experience", quite on the contrary : cheap/very cheap tickets, nearly always on time, professional and most often cheerful cabin crew, never had any problem.
Even if I had a problem with my next flight, that would still be much less than 1 %. Not bad, in my opinion.

Wellington Bomber
13th Apr 2008, 12:28
Coquelet

Seen as you are from Brussels, you would have been quite used to sabena and therefore any other airline is a step up, even if it is Ryanair.

flightlevel26
13th Apr 2008, 12:56
Ryanair incentivise 3rd party handling agents by doing a 60/40 deal with them, or something like that. It makes the agent push more on excess and bag charges and brings in the ancilliary revenue.

The product of ryanair is cheap, affordable, on-time but the failing in ryanair has always been customer service. The attitude has always been that if you don't like it then there will be someone else along to fill your seat and to a certain extent that is understandable but with the rate of expansion and the split of supply/demand it's a more risky strategy.

I personally find the staff rude, unhelpful and very "cold".

Coquelet
13th Apr 2008, 16:28
I have never met "rude, unhelpful, very cold" Ryanair cabin crew members - I don't meet any other Ryanair staff, as I always web-check.
I have often met Ryanair CC who were very helpful with people unused to flying or old or somehow in need. Many are quite cheerful. (A recent exemple : "Karim" on CRL-TRN yesterday).
Of course, if you are a frequent customer of the best first class on the most luxuous carriers, you are bound to be disappointed by Ryanair. As I am a frequent customer of Belgian bus and train companies, I feel differently.

Steviec9
13th Apr 2008, 16:42
My first post – I have no vested interest in any airline and am not in the industry.

I fly frequently to/from UK/Ireland/Europe and occasionally long haul. I therefore tend to fly Ryanair frequently, using the high frequency Irish routes where there is little chance for much going wrong for long. When I am paying 1p for a flight and have no hold luggage and something does go wrong (VERY infrequently), I am an old hand – I simply wait to be bumped or I make alternative arrangements quickly whilst everyone else is shouting. I admit this is only possible because (a) I am a single traveller with flexible arrangements and (b) on the high frequency routes it’s not long before another plane arrives from somewhere. I do not feel that I am entitled to any recompense or payment if I do incur extra charges because I never pay more than £15 single inclusive. I block book tickets during sales and promotions and may or may not use them. I still have a return ticket from 1991, London to Antwerp, at £158 return to remind me of the scandalous fares I used to be charged before the advent of loco in Europe.

When I fly somewhere ‘new’ or somewhere with a less frequent loco service , I normally now choose NOT to fly loco but take a ‘legacy’ scheduled carrier where there is/should be better mitigation for me if something goes wrong. The price difference between loco and scheduled, where I need to take hold luggage, is now usually negligible (taking account of baggage fees and transfer costs from ex-Cold War airfields or similar normally used by locos).

For flights of less than 4hrs duration I am happy if the cabin crew appear competent (I couldn’t care less about their attitude as I never speak to them) and the aircraft is airworthy. For flights longer than that, I expect more and therefore I pay more.

In summary, Ryanair’s customer service may be woefully lacking but I don’t use it. I never call them, I never try to contact them if something has gone wrong – I just shrug my shoulders and make alternative arrangements, usually whilst everyone else is screaming blue murder. I do not expect anything from them other than getting me from A to B, roughly around the times they said they would. If I fly legacy scheduled, my expectations are higher, though not always met. It’s like comparing shopping at Lidl with Waitrose.

jimworcs
13th Apr 2008, 17:14
That is it in a nutshell. The danger for Ryanair is this The price difference between loco and scheduled, where I need to take hold luggage, is now usually negligible (taking account of baggage fees and transfer costs from ex-Cold War airfields or similar normally used by locos).
. Competition has dramatically narrowed the price differential between Ryanair and older legacy carriers (and between other loco's with a less hostile attitude to customers such as EZ), and customers are likely to make the choice to pay slightly more. If price was the only issue, Kwiksave would not be bankrupt and Tesco would be struggling.

eu01
13th Apr 2008, 17:58
I don't complain - it does what it says it on the tin
Welcome to the forum, Steviec9!
You are right, Ryanair does just that, they do have millions of customers who think alike and I do believe most are pretty satisfied. And doubtlessly, the cheaper flights in Europe are primarily the result of Ryanair's success story. Like you, I've been using FR (albeit from time to time only) and I also accepted their style myself, many others did.

The question, however, is a bit broader. Even MOL has already admitted that the market is softer nowadays, the demand is not so strong as it should be. Hence, it's either necessary to reduce the development plans, or one should make efforts to find an other solution. Just to win some new customers, to fill up the planes, to make the further expansion possible and rational. In my opinion it is achievable. However, merely by doing something else than just keeping prices very low. There are several ways to do it actually without a significant need to spend more money. The attidude change, does it cost that much? But you can win new passengers when you are more delicate, more friendly. Ryanair needs many new customers and indeed does not need the disappointed ones (don't make them!). And once again; flight offer diversification, better flying schedule (e.g. by creating the "triangle" patterns to make more day-trips avaliable), better research in route planning, and yes, carefully selected connecting flights (where until now some self-made connections were 99%:lly successful, it could become official, meaning more passengers for FR). And so on. A bit more friendly attitude, more creativity while preparing flights offers. That's it, that's no revolution at all. A fight to get more passengers, nothing more.

MUFC_fan
13th Apr 2008, 19:50
Anyone know when FR are to introduce their winter timetable?

I am wanting to book NW-Barcelona region for Xmas-New Year week.

Woud have thought they would have started to be released by now!

Charlie Roy
13th Apr 2008, 22:27

Winter seats typically go on sale in June...

Patuta
14th Apr 2008, 00:38
Looks as if they've started already informally. If you choose "Online Check-In" you'll find Athens-Dublin and Athens-Liverpool. Both destinations were rumoured to be served from October on.

CallBell
14th Apr 2008, 03:50
I think these options may have been left over from one off football supporter flights flown in the past....

JadeGoody
15th Apr 2008, 20:40
Ryanair forgot to remove MMX in the check in thin :P

by the way, NYO-OPO is getting axed! 17 may is the last fligth! Its axed bz of low yield!

Charlie Roy
21st Apr 2008, 13:47
Haven't had any route announcements in agggggggges. Anyone hear of any press conferences scheduled for the near future?

VanBosh
21st Apr 2008, 16:03
With oil after hitting $117 a barrel, they are probably taking a lot more time with route selections. I wouldnt expect any Vaxjo - Haugsend routes any time soon!.

They must be due to announce something soon, the Eastern european base which has been "the next Ryanair base" for the last 3 years must be due soon. Also wouldnt be surprised to see a bit more activity in Spain or Hahn.

vinnym
21st Apr 2008, 18:46
Interesting article in Times of Malta published over thee weekend

Ryanair grounding 20 planes next winter
by NOEL GRIMA

Irish low cost airline Ryanair is planning to ground around 20 aircraft next winter to counter the impact of spiralling fuel costs. Ryanair is embarking on an intensive cost-cutting drive for its 2008-09 financial year as its fuel costs threaten to widen by €300 million, pushing its profits down by up to 50 per cent

Speaking during the French Connect Low Cost Forum in Courchevel, Ryanair deputy CEO Michael Cawley warned of tough conditions to come this winter.

“This winter is going to be very difficult,” he said. “We will put 20 aircraft on the ground for the winter because it’s more profitable. We would just lose a lot of money (operating them), burning fuel.”

The carrier grounded seven of its 40 aircraft at London Stansted last winter, saying increased airport charges made it more profitable to ground the aircraft during the winter than to operate them, according to Air Transport Intelligence News and www.flightglobal.com.

This information puts in a very different context the threat by the airline that unless Maltese airport charges come down more, the airline could be “forced” to cut down one or two of its present eight routes. It was reported these two routes could be the Bremen and the Girona ones.

An expert told this paper: “The thing is also that nobody will lease these planes. Air Malta’s planes can be easily leased, if they get the right price, because of a more universal cabin layout/look. So they are interesting for premium network carriers, say Etihad, or also charters, like Skyservice/Canada. But with Ryan’s cabins, who is going to take those? It’s no problem to sell them second-hand, but just for a temporary lease where you can’t change the cabin...

“What I reckon is what they are doing now is going around Europe to collect more subsidies and those who give least will have some flights cut… What they will try and do is sell the public in Malta that they do this only because of MIA, but the fact is that these are artificially created markets in a high fuel price environment.

“Besides, I don’t know why Ryanair is always asking for more State intervention for everything. Thought they were the Herald of Free Air Enterprise.”

In an article that appeared in The Malta Independent on Sunday on 5 October 2005, it was stated “Ryanair recently warned the Austrian government that it could seriously rethink its position, which could have grave consequences for the country, if the government does not remove a E3,60 security fee increase, which has gone up to E7,99. Ryanair, in some way, as a kind of warning, will cease all services to another Austrian airport from both Stansted and Hahn from the end of October, just as a three-year ‘embrace contract’ expires.

“In Cornwall, Ryanair announced it would proactively reduce flights on the Stansted-Newquay route, but have not set a concrete date yet, because of a future airport development tax of the enormous sum of Lm5 per return passenger. Ryanair says far less people would be interested in Cornwall with this Lm5 rise on a vacation, but will vote with their feet and go elsewhere (irrespective of the higher fare due to distance of course).

“Getting oneself into a seemingly cosy dependency with only one single enterprise, which can pack up as soon as it does not get what it wants, (in contrast to a private airport, a static object, or also Air Malta as national carrier of, incidentally, an island on the periphery of the EU), which one cannot deny it, might not be everybody’s choice.

“Is it, given long-term energy price challenges, working towards re-focusing tourism on ‘hen night trips’ or ‘pub/club crawls’, or ‘candlelight dinner flights’ some propagate, over at best 2000+kms one-way away purchased only because it is extremely cheap (remember, according to one airline even a few euros make the crucial difference) and tax-free, nothing else, the real way forward?

“Why strafe Robbie Borg’s entrepreneurial dedication to Malta by installing parallel flights supported with advantages his small Britishjet cannot get?

“The problem is not lacking air transport capacities. This summer there were tourists who would have liked to fly to Malta but found all interesting accommodation sold. The problem is not too few hotels in general but having more nights spent during off-peak seasons to fill a (temporary under-occupied) already existing airline and hotel capacities, both of which are not really variable. Can adding more capacity help? Maybe one must make Malta more attractive during off-peak seasons through third measures. Diversifying source markets to spread risks of regional economic slowdowns can help too.”

In contrast, just a couple of hours after the Ryanair press conference on Friday, Air Malta announced a strong winter performance with a 15 per cent increase in passengers carried. Malta’s niche is for short breaks, Chief Officer Commercial Brock Friesen told a press conference. This summer it will have five flights a day to London and as from next year two flights a day to Munich. Another code sharing agreement is due to be signed soon. With many carriers linking Malta to Gatwick, Air Malta will not be the one to pull out, Dr Friesen said.

As regards the French market, Dr Friesen announced an aggressive sales attitude, which will soon see the airline linking on an almost daily basis Malta to a French unnamed city with a 10 million capacity market.

check68
21st Apr 2008, 19:38
anybody heard a rumour that fr are talking to the management at cwl

Maxfli
21st Apr 2008, 19:45
Latest tally is for 20 800s to be parked this winter.

Stockpicker
21st Apr 2008, 20:51
FR claim to be running flights to Bratislava from EDI. My ma has had a wonderful invitation to visit a friend there and I said I would organise transport. Trouble is, go to FR website and the timetable for the route says...no flights. Nada. Nil. Maybe they just found out Slovakia isn't in Austria :rolleyes:. Is this still the timetable delay issue or is it just rank amateur night?

OK, I'm not normally this snippy, but feel protective of ma and want to deliver on my promise - would have been her (and late dad's) wedding anniversary yesterday.

scotsunflyer
21st Apr 2008, 21:07
BTS from EDI with FR does not start until 24Sep. Ops Days 1.3.56.

Stockpicker
21st Apr 2008, 21:18
Many thanks, SSF - will find another way! :ok:

(and apologies for toys out of pram moment....)

carbootking
22nd Apr 2008, 06:33
where are they going to park all these aircraft , as any airport has got lack of parking space during the day.

lederhosen
22nd Apr 2008, 08:04
I know I shouldn't, but I cannot help responding to that last gem from Carbootking.

First of all please explain why you think there should be less parking space during the day rather than at night when there is generally less flying going on.

Secondly as Ryanair are famous for operating to out of the way and underutilised airports all over Europe, why do you think they will have trouble finding parking.

In a perfect world somewhere hot and dry, where you have access to maintenance staff, who can keep an eye on your aircraft, would be the ideal. If they were my aircraft somewhere on my route network in southern Europe not too close to the sea would be good.

I assure you it is not a big problem. A more interesting question is why dry or even wet leasing is not an option.

kick the tires
22nd Apr 2008, 09:17
Lederhosen,

The question of dry or wet leasing was covered quite well in the article posted by VINNYM 7 posts earlier.

Scottish Flyer
22nd Apr 2008, 09:18
It is unlikely that Ryanair will ground 20 actual airframes for the winter. What they will do is keep an extra 20 aircraft on the ground at their various bases but constantly rotating the airframes so ensuring an even amount of flying hours spread through the fleet.

lederhosen
22nd Apr 2008, 10:28
Thanks for that Kick the tyres, missed that bit! I admit to being not much of an expert on Ryanair cabins as I sit front left for one of their rivals, actually several of their rivals when you take our wet leasing into account!

I have seen aircraft that looked like they were from Ryanair (e.g. 90% colour scheme) operating for others. Most recent one seemed to be flying for EL AL. I have no idea on what basis, but presumably leased given the colour scheme.

But the journo makes a fair point that the aircraft are less attractive to others. Makes you wonder if taking the seat pockets off and other such innovations is such a great idea!

EI-BUD
22nd Apr 2008, 10:40
There is so much mention of higher fuel cost and reducing costs in the company over the coming months.

I am a fan of Ryanair, but i see the problem as being far greater than fuel cost. The recent €5 flight offer that has been extended (as they usually do-ie extend the flight offers), reads 100,000 seats at €5. It seems by Ryanair's standards a very long time to be still selling 100,000 seats at €5. Previously when a million seats went on for free they were gone so quick. Sounds to me that there is much softer demand for the same time of year when compared to last year, and in addition, they are probably not seeing anything near as big yield as usual.

Ryanair has huge no shows on Free flights so in net terms they are collecting taxes and charges many dont turn up and hence, no payment of taxes and charges to the government for these figures

It's time that Ryanair turned to brand and attempted to elevate the brand name, make flying fun ?

I mean Easyjet and Ryanair are so similar except Ryanair are lower cost, but Easyjet are a stronger brand name.What does anyone else think?

By the way does anyone know when Ryanair will be able to hedge again? or will it only be when the prices come down? Outlook seems poor in terms of fuel prices i understand.

positive
22nd Apr 2008, 10:53
Are Ryanair putting the 7 grounded aircraft back into service from Stansted this summer or are they still keeping some grounded.Also any idea how many of their bases will have some aircraft grounded this winter?

Skipness One Echo
22nd Apr 2008, 11:16
There were never seven aircraft grounded at Stansted, they were moved to other bases and rotated around.

saccade
22nd Apr 2008, 11:41
By the way does anyone know when Ryanair will be able to hedge again? or will it only be when the prices come down? Outlook seems poor in terms of fuel prices i understand.

Ryanair would probably hedge again if prices fall below $80.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKL2690949620080326?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Words from MO'L on February 4 ,2008:

"At our most optimistic, a combination of flat yields and $75 oil would see profits grow by 6% to approximately €500m, but at our most conservative, if forward oil prices remain at $85, and consumer sentiment/sterling weakness leads to a 5% reduction in yields, then profits in the coming year could fall by as much as 50% to as low as €235m (£175m)," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/feb/04/ryanair.theairlineindustry

So a drop in profit of 50 % if oil remains above $85. The current reality is $117 oil and a weak Sterling with 1.25 euro's. I'm very curious how this works out...

airbourne
22nd Apr 2008, 14:45
Its all well and good for FR managment to bitch, moan and threaten to pull out of certain airports. Well go ahead then, pull out! Do it, leave the small airports because they too want to make a bit of money! So then when FR does pull out of these countries, where are they going to put the aircraft then?

How much more expansion is there in Europe? Are we nearing the stage that the FR growth has slowed down due to the amount of airports that either already deal with Ryanair, or those who dont want to deal with them? It will eventually get to the stage that airport managers will say no thanks ryanair! Then you might see them parking more than 20 aircraft in the winter.

Basically, you can bully someone for only so long before you end up on the losing end yourself. How long more can ryanair bully the european airports?

eu01
22nd Apr 2008, 16:26
Ryanair seem attached to once-successful policy that hastened the firm's enormous growth when they were the first, dominant if not unique low cost carrier in Europe. But now the situation is quite different yet they are unable to change their image. "The majority of European airports compete to become Ryanair base." Not viable any more. It's a bluff, actually. "Ryanair urging", "Ryanair challenging", "Ryanair warning", "Ryanair threatening"... Be careful, it can fire back! FR is still mighty, but there are dark clouds gathering if their attitude remains unchanged.

I don't believe FR would completely ground those 20 planes. Frankly, it would be a defeat in my eyes, like they were admitting: "We are unable to fill our planes in spite of low prices." Why? The one-sidedness of the offer perhaps? The targeted consumers in short supply?

Obviously there are many ways to become more attractive, not only thanks to the low prices (albeit it's important too). By differentiating the offer perhaps? By addressing some other customer groups maybe (business people fly regardless of the unattractive weather, aren't they)? By being more friendly to the surrounding world? It could be the right time to re-think a few issues, don't you think?

pee
23rd Apr 2008, 09:30
MOL too aggresive, huh? Well, he indeed might be, nevertheless he is perfectly right in many issues no matter how he expresses his anger in public. Look at small and ugly Tampere low-cost terminal. Welcome to Finland... not the best way to enter though. Its refurbishment from an old cargo building costed between 100.000-200.000 euros and was not made for any public money, yet the EU Commission still investigates it as an alleged State aid involving Ryanair. On the other side, Alitalia's very existance has been chronically dependent on State aid for years and AZ has just been given a next loan, the sum over a thousand times higher than the money involved in Tampere. Three hundred millions of euros which is perfectly ILLEGAL, will never be payed back, but it's DOOMED TO BE TOLERATED by EU (again and again). So, what's the proportion, where is the justice here?

Concerning these planes to be grounded. Are you out of ideas, Mr. O'Leary? Do you really think "no deal - no flights"? Having just an average agreement with Tampere and some spare aircrafts, is it impossible to use them? The profit can be achieved not only due to the "marketing support". Out-of-season flights e.g. ALC-TMP-ALC might well be worth trying. People normally pay 350-400 euros for return flights even amidst the winter. Sell your tickets for a half of the sum, it will be profitable for you even without anybody's help.

Btw. I do not concieve the routes from/to Finland as a solution to FR problems, not at all (too small population here). I just give the examples from the country I know, many more such opportunities exist in other countries as well, obviously. :p

BALLSOUT
23rd Apr 2008, 10:37
All of this fuss about parking 20 aircraft (a little over 10%) for a few months in winter.
Ryanair buy their aircraft cheap, fly the pants off them for five years and then sell them on for more than they paid for them.
They have recently struck a deal with a large number of pilots to take most of their leave in one whole block. this will be in the winter. So, pilots, and aircraft will work hard in the summer, and not so hard in the winter. This is normal airline practice, Ryanair have just put their stamp on it to make it work better for them!

Flitefone
23rd Apr 2008, 11:26
Ryanair are due to operate about 175 aircraft this winter. The average fleet utilization of their fleet is 6.8 sectors/day, this equates to a fleet capacity of around 1190 sectors each day this winter.

To 'park 20 aircraft involves reducing the number of sectors by 20 (aircraft) x 6.8 (sectors) this equals 136 sectors per day.

1190 (fleet capacity) -136 (reduction) = 1054 sectors which is still 6 sectors per day per every one of the 175 aircraft!!

I confidently predict that Ryanair will not actually park any aircraft this winter, but will operate a 6 sector day through the winter for each of their 175 aircraft - of course the customary spares will sit on the ground at STN and DUB which they do anyway.

A 6 sector day is still way higher winter utilization than most airlines in Europe, and Ryanair will not have the profit drain of flying loss making routes.

... But Ryanair will have effectively 'parked' 20 aircraft and in the process frightened a lot of airports, suppliers and perhaps even staff into accepting the deals that the airline needs to keep the profits high.

Smart and ruthless airline management as usual. I bet the shareholders will love it.

I wonder what deal BA has negotiated with BAA over T5, they could learn some lessons from Ryanair I suspect.

FF

Charlie Roy
23rd Apr 2008, 11:26
STN - Rimini
STN - Béziers

BALLSOUT
23rd Apr 2008, 16:26
Pressman,
As I understand it, the deal was in exchange for a 10% pay increase.
I can't seem to get my holidays from them either and i didn't get a 10% pay rise!

pee
24th Apr 2008, 11:41
Well, here we go:
Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (24th April) called on the European Commission to stop a further €300m unlawful state aid for Alitalia. Alitalia has already received over €5bn in unlawful state aid, but the European Commission, as always in the case of flag carriers, turns a blind eye and does nothing. Without such illegal state aid, Alitalia which loses almost €1m a day would have gone bankrupt years ago.

Speaking today, Ryanair’s Jim Callaghan said:

“Alitalia’s latest €300m bailout makes a mockery of EU State Aid rules. Propping up an inefficient national airline, which would have gone bankrupt long ago is simply illegal. Continued unlawful subsidies are allowing Alitalia to ignore its debts and rack up losses with abandon.

“The European Commission’s repeated failure to enforce its own State Aid rules in the case of Alitalia provides more evidence that it applies one set of rules for rule breaking flag carrier airlines but another discriminatory set of rules for Ryanair. The Commission has still failed to take any action on Ryanair’s 3 year old state aid complaints about Alitalia, Air France, Lufthansa, Olympic and Volare however it is pursuing 7 baseless investigations about Ryanair’s open pro competitive deals at tiny regional European airports.

“We are again today calling on the Commission to stop ignoring this state aid scandal and start applying end its own state aid and competition rules fairly”.
And the Commission says: "We have doubts about the nature of the measures and we want to have a better understanding of the details," (the Commission spokesman Michele Cercone today).

shack
24th Apr 2008, 12:48
Can one of you regular Ryanair users help please. A lady with one piece of cabin luggage, is she allowed to carry a handbag as well or should it be inside the baggage.

Charlie Roy
24th Apr 2008, 14:34
She is allowed a handbag.
One is also allowed a laptop bag.

saccade
24th Apr 2008, 16:56
Interesting article about the value of ryanair:

"an investor could buy Ryanair for 70 percent of what they could earn from a break-up."

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSL2489201120080424?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

frfly
24th Apr 2008, 20:37
Hmm.....someone I was travelling with was stopped with a handbag and trolley bag and told to combine them. The rule is confusing to say the least. Ryanair crew members are now being urged to check at the gate the size and amount of luggage with the handling agents - pax can be refused travel if they break this rule....it's not clear enough as the terms and conditions state ONE piece of hand baggage.

The Real Slim Shady
24th Apr 2008, 21:03
The hand baggage issue is not an FR issue but an airport of departure issue: they make the rules.

Buster the Bear
24th Apr 2008, 21:57
http://uk.reuters.com/article/innovationNews/idUKL2489201120080424?rpc=401&&pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

mms://a402.v266759.c26675.g.vm.akamaistream.net/5/402/26675/480f45c0/1a1a1a9c09709e0263cc38b11e7fe85482e55482f76291f267cb34a3d204 34649ccb2c9c0e/ryanair.wma

Bearcat
25th Apr 2008, 07:36
i also agree FR are ripe for a take over bid.

take-off
25th Apr 2008, 08:38

mms://a402.v266759.c26675.g.vm.akama...0e/ryanair.wma

If ever theres a reason not to fly ryanair, this must be it, surely to god the dont punish pax with that ????

Jeez its like a flying asda now!!!!!

JulietNovemberPapa
25th Apr 2008, 09:32
LMAO it's hilarious!

shack
25th Apr 2008, 11:27
Thanks for the replies re handbag, it looks as though it is the luck of the draw.

Coquelet
25th Apr 2008, 14:28
In Charleroi, tuesday, I have seen a traveller stopped at the first control (not Ryanair staff), as he had a trolley bag and a laptop bag; he was told to put the laptop in the trolley bag or else to send one of them as hold luggage.

frfly
25th Apr 2008, 19:20
Im afraid it is a Ryanair issue, more so then airport. FR's terms clearly state one piece of handbaggage What it fails to state is whether this is as well as a handbag or laptop bag.

andy1205
25th Apr 2008, 20:39
i dont think so cant see them coming back to cwl

idlejack
28th Apr 2008, 14:28
News Release 28.04.08
Baggage Charges Rise to Reduce Checked in Bags

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (28th April) announced that it will continue its drive to increase the number of passengers checking in on-line by increasing baggage and airport check-in charges from May 5. From this date Ryanair’s checked in baggage fee will rise from €9 to €10 while airport check-in fees will increase from €4 to €5. Ryanair encourages passengers to avoid these charges altogether by travelling with our 10kg hand luggage allowance and checking in on-line.

Passengers who book their flights in the next week (before May 5) will avoid these charges.

Announcing these charge increases, Ryanair’s Peter Sherrard said:

“40% of Ryanair passengers currently avoid queues at both check-in and boarding by availing of our free web check-in service, and this increase in baggage fees will result in fewer checked in bags and more passengers changing to on-line check-in.

“On-line check-in is faster, more efficient and costs Ryanair less. There is no doubt that it is the future for air travel. We will continue to increase baggage fees until half of our passengers check-in online, which will allow us to reduce check-in and handling costs and pass on these savings to our passengers in the form of Europe’s guaranteed lowest fares.

“Ryanair will continue to drive down the cost of travel by reducing its average fare (which includes baggage and check-in revenues) in 2008 and guaranteeing the lowest fares on every route”.

MUFC_fan
28th Apr 2008, 15:21
I would like to thank all FR passengers who pay for the check-in and baggage as you make my flight just that little bit cheaper!:ok:

Seriously, I think it is a fantastic idea. People used to take things with them that weren't a neccessity where now they are very stringent which is great. Eco lovers should be glad FR are doing this as less baggage = less weight = less fuel = less emissions! And in turn helps keeps my fares low! We can look at it this way but 30 million people still fly with baggage p/a on FR services which will mean an extra 30 million euros in the bank which may help the extra fuel costs and keep the airline fuel charge free!:D

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
28th Apr 2008, 17:02
MUFC - tell that to a couple with two young kids who are going on their summer holiday for two weeks.

dbertman
28th Apr 2008, 17:15
No-one is forcing them to use Ryanair

OltonPete
28th Apr 2008, 17:18
I don't mind about a baggage charge but I do when an airline takes
the Michael - although not a UK airline and it is Europe wide a good
old-fashioned British rip-off.

However if you are lucky enough to live near an airport with choice
at least you have the option like me to vote with your feet.

After weeks of trawling for a holiday using one of FR's new routes
from BHX, I couldn't stand all the add-on's and booked with
competitors. Yes they had add-on's but not as much and saved a
couple hundred quid on the cost of the flights as well.

Mind you having read the press release, I can't get the picture
out of my mind of 189 pax with 10KG's rushing from the gate
to the plane ;). Oh sorry you can pay for priority boarding, if
you want to pay a bit more:rolleyes:.

Now lets see who am I flying out with, bag was £3 (believe it
has gone up since) & allocated seating

OLNEY 1 BRAVO - tell me about it, I have two girls and a sack full
of shoes :eek:.

Pete

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
28th Apr 2008, 19:28
I agree - nobody is forced to use Ryanair ... but Ryanair's advertising that they bringing low fare to all and sundry is wearing a bit thin.

ncleflights
28th Apr 2008, 22:03
Great another surcharge from FR at least BA are honest about their surcharge.

MUFC fan - if your travelling with kids you need to take bags, especially if one of them is disabled - but then FR have never been concerned about discriminating against the disabled.

dbertman - yes you are forced to use FR and I sometimes wish I wasn't when they have forced a more caring airline off the route and you have no choice.

Rant over.

JulietNovemberPapa
29th Apr 2008, 06:13
"Great another surcharge from FR at least BA are honest about their surcharge."

What a stupid comment - the details of FR's increase is at the top of its news section under the heading "Baggage Charges Rise to Reduce Checked in Bags." How you think that that's being dishonest I don't know.

INKJET
29th Apr 2008, 06:58
Because Ryanairs increase have got sod all to do with hold luggage and everything to do with trying to claw back some of the lost profit from the price increase of oil. Not everyone can travel in what their standing and 10k of hand luggage, the difference is that if and when oil does move down then BA will probably reduce it surcharges, Ryanair wont drop the baggage charges, they may model themselfs on Southwest (USA) but they are a poor imitation, Southwest don't charge for the first two bags and are in another league in customer care

frfly
29th Apr 2008, 07:27
Yes - but does southwest ever offer flights for as low as £5 one way, all taxes and charges included (10$) - you can't compare FR and WN, FR are a new brand of LCC - a super low cost carrier.

Ryanair will have to realise there will come a point where the charges will have the adverse effect - reducing demand, however, I think we are far from that point just now.

take-off
29th Apr 2008, 09:08
And how long before they start chargin for hand luggage??? Surely not much more they can start charging for, Has Anyone told ryanair theres a recession around the corner????
Its not just Fr who want to drive down costs the travelling public do to , with less money in joe publics wallet(or purse), the time when pax baulk at all these charges, may come sooner than they expect. theres already been reports that charters doing beter this year than many a year, due to people wanting holidays where everything is sorted in one go, with oout having to book everything seperately,and that if theres a problem, they have someone to speak to... Not saying that this is the demise of FR(far from it), but they do need to look at the way they treat pax...Things do have a way of coming back in fashion...the low cost carriers have been king for a quite while now.. maybe people want a change and bit of service.

INKJET
29th Apr 2008, 10:23
Service is relative, but people are already getting brassed of with rip off/con Britain, even an idiot knows that they will end up paying more than a pound for a ticket, but don't expect the bill to come £80 either, sooner or later the Goverment will say enough and call for transparency on ticket prices.

Budfrey27
29th Apr 2008, 13:49
FR1624 from Lodz to East Midlands - 29/04/08

While taxiing, the nose wheel of the aircraft due to operate flight FR1624 from Lodz to Nottingham East Midlands sank into the soft stopway surface off the beginning of the runway. The aircraft, which is undamaged, was moving slowly and had not started its take off procedure.
All passengers disembarked normally from the aircraft using the front steps and were bussed to the terminal. The aircraft suffered no damage and our engineers are on route to move the aircraft to the terminal building. Ryanair is currently arranging coaches to bring passengers to Warsaw where a spare aircraft will bring them to East Midlands.
This incident has been reported to the IAA and until it has been fully investigated we will not be in a position to comment further.

cheers
Bud

Anansis
29th Apr 2008, 14:18
Higher charges= lower fares?

Ive been flying ryanair (happily) for years and not once have higher baggage charges meant lower fares for those with handbaggage only. This latest rise is going nowhere but the deep, black hole in the balance sheet caused by the end of ryanairs $60 fuel hedging.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

And as for fuel surcharges- am I the only person to notice that the taxes and charges have increased since April 1st (the day Ryanair were forced to pay full price for theiur fuel)? I used to pay an average of £20 taxes but now the website frequently quotes me £30...

Also, here is no longer any breakdown to tell you what this is being spent on...:=

I sense some sneakyness on the part of Ryanair...

daz211
29th Apr 2008, 19:44
I thought this was a joke until I seen this !
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GHN8MjuxImE&feature=related

I must be very sad, I kinda like it :E

oneworld1
29th Apr 2008, 21:02
Ryanair? Sneaky? Never. The airlines alleged practices would rouge the cheeks of the mafiosi. Of course they're recouping (sneaky or otherwise), they are a business who happen to have a few hundred aircraft versus a business which has a few hundred buses, trucks or sardine packing machines.

They're not a 'real' airline. We will look back someday on their 'run' with misty eyes (and pinched pockets).

drnick384
30th Apr 2008, 00:42
Raising check-in and baggage charges have nothing to do with lower fares, less bags mean less staff ( FR have already cut their turnaround crews from 4 baggage handlers and a dispatcher to 3 baggage handlers and a dispatcher ) less people checking in means less check-in staff. People will lose their jobs its already happening FR won't tell you this but they will charge you for it

airbourne
30th Apr 2008, 00:43
Could someone explain the following to me? i.e. taxes and charges.

If I book a flight 2 weeks in advance, i generally get the flight for 1 cent and the taxes are 9.99 HOWEVER if i book the flight less than 2 weeks, the fare is maybe €5, but the charges can be €40!!!!! How can this be possible? Do the government want more tax if you dont book 2 weeks in advance??

Also in relation to the 'if you dont like them, dont fly FR', how do you suggest that I for one get from DUB-LBA?? I dont have a choice!! Yes, just like everyone else I welcome the cheap FR prices, but how long will the travelling public out up with the stealth taxes and the ever increasing prices? You cant book anywhere but online, but to use your credit card costs €8.

Shed-on-a-Pole
30th Apr 2008, 02:12
Hi Airborne,

The answer lies within your own question. The phrase is 'Taxes AND CHARGES'.

"Charges" is airline marketing yukspeak for all other elements which make up what we used to call the "Fare". It is a pity that consumer protection bodies have so far failed miserably to stamp out the shameful practice of dressing up various essential costs of providing travel as something other than constituents of the fare. The impression is wilfully given that the amount you pay represents the sum of impositions by government agencies and service providers alone, rather than a tariff set at the discretion of the airline company itself. These "charges" encompass costs which are an integral part of providing the service; ie. they are constituents which make up the real "FARE".

The only true fare is the final all inclusive sum which leaves your wallet when your booking is complete. Any other description is shameless marketing claptrap. Don't be fooled. That's why "taxes and charges" vary wildly on what appear to be similar products.

Note that my post lies within the Ryanair thread because that is where your question is posed. But I do not single out Ryanair alone for this criticism: they are one offender amongst many. Government charges, fuel costs, airport user charges, handling fees, ATC charges, staff wages etc are all unavoidable components which make up the final FARE which you pay; they are not optional extras. The final sum which you pay is the only true FARE (and I'll bet that isn't 1p/1c); all other labels are spin and deception. Sadly, many gullible folks love to brag to their friends that they got a flight for 1p (implication: "so aren't I clever?") when they actually paid £40; airline marketing types recognise this common character flaw and exploit it ruthlessly.

The sooner airlines are forced to quote the final price as the true "fare" the better. And I include within this airlines such as BA with their "fuel surcharge"; fuel is always a key component of the fare. When fuel prices rise, operators should increase the headline fare to reflect that. Instead, some quote an unchanged "fare" and pretend that the "fuel surcharge" should be other than an integral constituent of that "fare". This should be stopped at once. Increase the price to recoup higher costs, by all means; exclude that increase from the headline "fare" quote, no way.

The sad fact is that some of the airlines which offer the best final price are the worst offenders in concealing the true figure until the booking nears completion (Hey, Ryanair!). Why not just say "Our fare is £55 all-in return to the continent! That's a great price - beat it if you can." Who could argue with that? The airline should be proud of this! And wouldn't everybody be better served? But oh no - I'm dreaming - surely we're all better off being told this fare is 1 cent plus taxes and charges!

Let's hope this is all sorted out one day!

All the best. SHED.

Cyrano
30th Apr 2008, 06:11
Well said, that man!:ok:

JulietNovemberPapa
30th Apr 2008, 07:08
how do you suggest that I for one get from DUB-LBA?? I dont have a choice!!

Fly EI DUB-MAN and get the 1h 20m train to LBA (or wherever you're headed).

Trevor Macken
30th Apr 2008, 07:46
Hi All,

Just wondering has anyone heard the result of the tender by FR for the DUB-KIR route which was up for renewal about this time???

I can just see FR's ad's with King Puck, a 737 and a bunch of Knights of the Road (travellers) OMG !!!!

Comments Please

T.M.

Anansis
30th Apr 2008, 10:29
I dont mind paying for fuel- I just think its a bit rich of a company to make such a big fuss about not introducing surcharges and then doing to through backdoor taxes, charges and baggage fees.

AIRBOURNE-

The reason that taxes increase nearer to the time of the flight is because the advertised fares are promotional- part of the terms and conditions is that they must be booked at least two weeks in advance, otherwise you pay 'normal' fare.

BigT2207
30th Apr 2008, 10:42
how do you suggest that I for one get from DUB-LBA?? I dont have a choice!! Fly EI DUB-MAN and get the 1h 20m train to LBA (or wherever you're headed).

did you know you can get a train ticket all the way from Dublin to Leeds via Holyhead

From £52.00 return

However the shortest Journey is about 7 1/2 hours.

Big T

ncleflights
30th Apr 2008, 12:03
JulietNovemberPapa - The questions was asked how airbourne gets from LBA not MAN. Like LBA, NCL had an excellent Dublin service when air lingus operated the route Ryanair forced them off the route and the level of customer service dived for anyone on the route. Thankfully unlike the rest of the UK Ryanair don't seem to want to fly from NCL to many destinations so on a whole we are served by relatively good airlines Easyjet, flybe and Jet2 etc. Long may this continue.

JulietNovemberPapa
30th Apr 2008, 13:03
JulietNovemberPapa - The questions was asked how airbourne gets from LBA not MAN.

Who says that if you're from the Leeds, Bradford, etc, area, you must use LBA to get to DUB? If you dislike flying FR, it's easy to get to an airport that has an alternative choice, i.e. EI at MAN. So, yes, there ARE realistic alternatives - and if you're bothered by FR, you should use a bit more effort to get what you want. It's like saying "I hate supermarkets" yet shop in one because you can't be bothered to travel an extra few miles to use a local, small, independent shop.

MUFC_fan
30th Apr 2008, 15:36
I must say I do feel sorry for those travelling with family/friends with disabilities as FR do not help at all with their problems both in the airport and on the ground.

As I say I do thank all those PAX paying for the check-in etc. as it does keep my fares cheaper than other airlines BUT I must stress that I totally do not agree with FR charging for goods that are a necessity.

Runway 31
30th Apr 2008, 16:28
MUFC,

As far as I am aware it is the responsibility of the airport until the passenger boards the flight to deal with passengers with disbilities

MUFC_fan
30th Apr 2008, 19:09
I was on about how FR charge for luggage that is a necessity. I think it is very unfair for an airline to charge a person for carrying a vital piece of equipment.

frfly
30th Apr 2008, 19:32
You can carry it! Just in the cabin and no more than 10KG. It's not fair to single Ryanair out on this one, FlyBE introduced it! Followed by Aer Lingus, Ryanair, EasyJet, Jet2, FlyGlobespan, Bmibaby.......the list is ever growing. And as far as I'm aware FlyBE are to start charging for not using their self check-in kiosks in the near future.

Yes, Ryanair's charges are higher, but their average fare is lower. And I'm not talking about the 1p flights, I mean the average they put out in their annual reports. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was a couple of pounds less than EZY's?

CP Fox
30th Apr 2008, 21:06
i agree with the last comment it is unfair to single FR out on this on. All low cost airlines theses day are charging for check in however if you use FRs web check in its cheaper than if u have to check in and have hold luggage. your allowed 10g so why not do web check in and make it cheaper.

Also FR flights are always a lot cheaper than easyjets babys. so they have to make money somewhere.

SkinHeadFlyer
1st May 2008, 09:48
"Also FR flights are always a lot cheaper than easyjets babys. so they have to make money somewhere."

Not the case - Anyone with any sense shops around and tailors their flights to their own tastes/convenience/pocket.

How come it was cheaper for me to fly to Belfast from LPL in July with EZ and return with FR? (No bags, web check-in, no easyboarding - just bare bones flights & taxes/'charges'). FR are not a lot cheaper than their competition and in some cases are more expensive.

You've been listening too much to the crap from MOL and his team!

Based
1st May 2008, 10:35
How come it was cheaper for me to fly to Belfast from LPL in July with EZ and return with FR? (No bags, web check-in, no easyboarding - just bare bones flights & taxes/'charges'). FR are not a lot cheaper than their competition and in some cases are more expensive.

Possibly because there was less people already booked on the EZ flight to Belfast and less people booked at that point in time on the FR flight back. Or the timings of the flights maybe. When a business model is based on variable selling prices the only real fair way of comparing 'cheapness' is to calculate an average fare, not the cost of a particlar set of flights. Like them or not, Ryanair seem to win on this comparison.

Ametyst1
1st May 2008, 11:29
I flew Liverpool to Belfast last week with Ryanair for £16.40 return, the Easyjet price was £53! So it depends when you look and book etc. I travel on this route regularly and Ryanair are cheaper 9 times out of 10

airbourne
2nd May 2008, 01:41
I have to drive for an hour from LBA to get to Sherburn. Thats my destination! So LBA is the only choice. Summer schedule now and the return flight to DUB is at 2215, however due to atc restrictions, it never takes off before 2245. Why dont they just say that? Its not a once off, the last 4 weeks, its always been delayed.

The Real Slim Shady
2nd May 2008, 09:48
Because if the RPL is filed for 2245 the flight will be delayed until 2315!

RAT 5
3rd May 2008, 09:31
Concerning the 'charges' which all airlines apply. Guess where it started. RYR! The competition looked at the market reaction, which was very tolerant, and followed in the wake. Once one operator gets away with something like this, thay all follow. Where will it end is more the question? Rememer it started with only a wheelchair levy; then baggage charge (since increased drastically); then checkin charges; then credit card charges;

MOL has declared that he will increase charges until 50% of pax checkin online with cabin baggage only. This is imparactical if travelling for more than a couple of days, or on a sports holiday. I was onboard recently where 20 or so cabin wheelie bags had to be loaded in the hold due lack of space, so delaying departure. And that pax had that done for free. There is no way 189 pax can load 189 legal cabin sized wheelie bags into the cabin. The ensuing chaos will mean a long delay; and missing a slot could be severe.

Regarding the comment that the airport is responsible for pax until at the a/c; if so then why is RYR charging a wheel chair levy? This is one of he most insidious stealth charges of their whole scam, and serious source of profit.

Also, I'm still trying to find out what their fixed insurance premium is for. What is being insured? I cannot get an answer from RYR. Does anyone know?

daz211
3rd May 2008, 12:01
So yet again the talk yesterday around STN is that Ryanair is very
near to securing five 777's, the word in the terminal is that
AGP, STN and DUB will be offering flights to the USA buy winter 08.

How true could this realy be ???
and if true why AGP ???

MUFC_fan
3rd May 2008, 19:18
PMI, AGP and ALC plus FAO are becoming popular with the North Americans abit like Orlando is with us Brits and CO and DL are starting to realise.

The US consider Mexico and the Carribean their Spain and Portugal where as we see them as our long haul destinations. I wouldn't be surprised in a couple of years time if our Spains became their Carribeans. If ya get my drift! ;!

If anyone is to do it it would be FR. I wouldn't expect the US airlines to sit back and watch it happen though.

When the US/EU really opens up in 2010 I really hope we see Easyjet USA and Ryanair USA along with Southwest EU. There will be only afew LCCs left after the credit crunch deals with the flackers and we will probably come out of it during this period which will probably rock aviation just like EZY did 11 years ago.

Bring on the new times ahead in Western Aviation. When BA get their deal with CO and AA the LCCs are going to have to move into the TATL market before it is too late. Remember, BA are still after IB which would make the partnership a HUGE player in Europe, North America and South America - watch out EU/US airlines!

james170969
4th May 2008, 08:41
I go to Torremolinos several times per year and I'm always amazed at the amount of Canadians and Americans I see and hear. There are also a number of Canadians and Americans who live along the Costa Del Sol. I presume it's the same in other coastal areas of Spain. My friend who lives in Torremolinos told me that there is only one transatlantic flight from Malaga per week and that's to New York with Continental so I think there is a market there for the likes of Ryanair.

Devonair
4th May 2008, 09:03
DL commencing flights from JFK to AGP in June, 4 times per week I believe.

Playamar2
4th May 2008, 13:44
James170969

There are no flights from Malaga to the USA at present (until DAL start next month). The only TATL service is a Air Transat A310 which is once a week.
Continental code share with Air Europa changing at Madrid.
Playamar2

daz211
4th May 2008, 14:52
I just cant get my head around AGP, would ALC not be better for FR.

MUFC_fan
4th May 2008, 18:43
Why?

The only difference is a crew room. The FR crew cannot fly the T7 as they are only 737 type rated.

If we were talking airbus then there would be more of a reason to select ALC.

pee
6th May 2008, 10:26
Passenger traffic at Ryanair surged by 15pc in April compared to the same month last year but its load factor slumped, its latest figures show.

The airline carried 4.72 million passengers in the month compared to 4.11 in the same month last year.
It has carried 51.55 million passengers in the year to the end of April, it said.

However, its load factor fell by 4pc from 83pc to 79pc.

Ryanair said that this Aprils load factor figures were weakened because Easter was in April of Last year but was in March this year.
In line with expectations, I'd say.

However, after several months of flying with other carriers, I took a flight yesterday (Monday) from BGY to TMP and I was surprised being unable to spot a single free seat left. Moreover, the price of my flight was really non-LCC alike. One of my colleages tried recently to book a TMP-HHN flight and he didn't succeed (the plane was full). There IS some existing potential still unexplored, don't you think?

On my flight, I overheard also a flight attendant's remark (while selling food and beverages): "Finns really keep us working all three hours". Kinda good customers, aren't we?

aerospace
6th May 2008, 20:31
In line with expectations, I'd say.

If you expected poor performance, yes it's in line with expectations.

-4p is a big decrease of their LF, which is very problematic for an airline that drives its revenue from the LF rather than from the yield.

Ok, last year April LF was high because Easter was in April.
The problem was actually more March results. How could they increase their LF of only +1% in March08 vs. 07 whereas Easter was in March in 2008???
If we consider March and April, therefore without easter effect, it's a net decrease of -2p of LF!

This is huge!

It clearly shows that Ryanair new bases are performing very badly. BOH looks a nightmare, BHD a stupid choice just against Aer Lingus, BRE is a disaster, VLC and ALC are difficult, without talking about MAD and MRS which apparently are still not breack-even.

Poor new bases + lower LF + higher fuel cost not hedged = bad performances

For me, it shows Ryanair top managers inability to enter in an optimisation model. When everybody were predicting a fuel barrel above 100$, how could they be 100% not hedged???
When everybody were saying german and spanish markets were saturated, how could they choose to launch bases at MAD, REU, ALC, VLC and BRE???

It's easy to tell the airports to reduce their costs because Ryanair is in a difficult position. That's unbelievable!!!
If they are in bad position, this is MAINLY because of theirselves...

Finally, only Ryanair people could think that if last year LF are of 83% and this year of 79%, this is a decrease of 4% :ugh:

Of course, this is a decrease of 4p. This is unbelievable to see that on a public website! This is basic mathematic!!!

How could anybody at Ryanair noticed that???

I checked easyJet website and hopefully for them they are stated that correctly:

Load factor 90,2% 86,8% 3,4 pp

EI-BUD
6th May 2008, 21:33
Aerospace, I was reading some of your comments about Ryanair. I would suggest that unless you are at a very senior level within Ryanair you are not in a position to say that Madrid or Marseille are not at break even, or to suggest that Belfast city is a poor choice against Aer Lingus, all Ryanair bases are performing well, Belfast City has required intense discounting to shift habits or flyers, ie to use Ryanair.

From the tone and language of your post it would seem that it is doom. The company is in great shape, cash rich, asset rich, and is best placed to meet a down turn, the beauty about Ryanair is that they will plan in advance of any slowing of profits instead of other companies who react to profit slumps when they happen. The average fare continues to fall and the operating margin is healthy.

I think that it is very easy to give the postmortem when things get slower/less profitable. I have confidence in the model that is Ryanair, and despite unhedged fuel they will be more profitable consistently that competitors going forward. For me the one weaknesses that it has is brand. MOL and Company need to invest some imagination into making Ryanair the airline of choice for other reasons other than price.

What do you think?

EI-BUD

eu01
6th May 2008, 21:52
-4p is a big decrease of their LF (...)
It clearly shows that Ryanair new bases are performing very badly (...)
...a nightmare (...)
...a stupid choice (...)
...a disaster (...)
how could they choose to launch bases at... ???
They simply went too far in developing their imaginary deal-driven network and bases, including most of the new, as you say, "disastrous" ones. But is there any sense in continuing the policy of selling numerous flights for pennies just because the carrier is able to save some euros/pounds at selected airports? Or perhaps would it have been wiser just to intensify the use of some niche markets where Ryanair has been successful in spite of being unable to get any "superior" deals with the local airports? Like, say, the above mentioned Tampere - or indeed anything else with good enough LF's and yields. Here and there people want to fly (and pay decently, I guess) - but nope, says FR, your airport doesn't grant us the marketing aid or something, you will not get any new routes. What's better: to sell flights at 50€ per pax getting no discount at the airport or to "give out" tickets for 10€ each to gain some 5€ of a local contribution? You cannot go beyond the limit of stupidity while huggling, otherwise the purpose is lost.

I think Ryanair's main competitor (EZY) has a better grasp of this matter and that's why their load factors are higher.

Flitefone
7th May 2008, 07:45
Ezy operate smaller aircraft (156 seats normally) which accounts to a large extent for the higher LF. 130 pax on an ezy flight typically represents 83% LF, 130 pax on a RYR (189 seats normally) represents 69% LF - simple maths.

What counts is not the LF or the airport, but the costs and the revenues.

RYR have sold 52m seats in the last 12 months - 1m per week. The airline is one of the most profitable in the world. Thats not a broken model however you look at it... EZY is equally impressive.

Lets stick to decent rumours..

FF

kick the tires
7th May 2008, 08:25
Flitefone,

selling 1 million seats per week means nothing if they are sold for 1p!

As for profitability, lets see what the 08 figures are like after profit warnings of -50%.

Budfrey27
7th May 2008, 08:45
....i don't know too much about yields and LF but would the limits on BHD flights paxwise bring the overall figure down a bit?

cheers
Bud

ReallyAnnoyed
7th May 2008, 13:20
Flitefone, loadfactor IS important! A 738 with 130 pax on board costs considerably more to operate than an A319 with 130 pax on board.

LGS6753
7th May 2008, 13:35
Ryanair use their 1p flights as a marketing exercise, and very successful it is too. Millions of people outside the industry have heard of FR by the use of these ultra-low fares.
But of course, it isn't 1p. Add to that the £4 credit card fee (far more than it costs them), the fact that a proportion of people booked on these flights don't actually fly, the costs of baggage, check-in, in-flight refreshments, insurance, etc and the value of click-through bookings from their website for cars, hotels and the like and you've got a much greater income than 1p.

Just looking at their figures, they make good profits by airline standards, and have a strong asset base. Indeed they are rumoured to be selling their early 737-800s for more than they paid for them, so they've had 5-6 years' use from them free! I'm afraid its tricks like that which place Ryanair apart from its competitors.

Their model will come under pressure when some or all of the following things happen:
- massive reduction in consumer disposable income
- insufficient routes available to continue the growth
- concerted efforts by airport operators to push up prices (highly unlikely)
- having to buy aircraft at more realistic prices and/or being unable to sell on existing fleet
- a safety issue impacting purely on FR

As others have said, it's a robust model for the present.

ryan2000
7th May 2008, 14:01
Interesting article in today's Irish Examiner about Ryanair's Shannon operation. They may look for a renegotiation although I can't see how much more favourable the terms could be from the airlines point of view.

en2r
7th May 2008, 15:28
Interesting article in today's Irish Examiner about Ryanair's Shannon operation. They may look for a renegotiation although I can't see how much more favourable the terms could be from the airlines point of view.
Ryanair have Shannon over a barrell. Bar Cityjet to Paris and Aer Lingus to Dublin, Ryanair have a complete monopoly on all shorthaul flights from Shannon. Ryanair can probably dictate to Shannon what they want because Shannon have no other choice but to accept whatever Ryanair are offering.

h&s
7th May 2008, 21:50
EI-BUD, I think it will be hard to convince you ;-)

There is actually a very easy way to noticed if a Ryanair base/route is performing well, or not, this is by checking if the route is in the sales offer (or not), or check the ratio of route in the offer / route not in the offer for each base.

They currently run a very aggresive sales, 5, 10 or 15€ one way all inclusive for May (!!!) and June. You imagine, a sales for May!!!
Usually, they run a promo 1 month or 2 months before the start of the month, never for the current month! It's honestly the first time I see that, and on that scale.
A promo on the current month is just an insult to the yield mangement, and a big loose of last minute revenue. What is even more suprising is that the promo is very widely available across the network!!!
Considering the current promo, I am absolutely certain their LF should be in a very very bad shape again for May, so the sales will probably generate volume but also very low yield. If LF for May is again below last year whereas they have such aggresive promo, that would be a very very bad sign!

Considering the bases performances, it's easy to see which one ae good bases. Around 50% only of the routes of CIA or CRL for example are in the offer. Now consider the new bases:
- BRE: 95% of the routes are in the offer!!!!!
- BHX: 95% of the routes are in the offer!!!
- BOH: 90% of the routes are in the offer
- VLC: 90% of the routes in theoffer
- MAD: 90% in the offer
- and the best for the end: BHD: 100% of the routes in the offer!!!!

So, yes I persist to say that BRE, BHD, BOD, VLC etc are real nightmares! And when they say in financial report 07 that their new bases were performing well, this is just a BIG BULL****!

If we take March and April, so easter effect nil, EZY LF is +0.4p, when Ryanair one is -3p!
That's quiet a considerable gap.

EI-BUD, what do you think about my main argument that's Ryanair management is inable to deal with current situation. Some examples:
- fuel 100% not hedged (are they rally 100% not hedged???)
- very bad new bases
- not very clever top managers that doesn't know basic mathematics. 3 examples: only for Ryanair, the difference between 83% and 79% is 4% and not 4p. I also still remember their statement fully available on their website, where they wrote that an increase of 50% of the parking charges, and 1 year later another increase of 50% represents an increase of 100% :ugh: Finally, I still remember their Head of air ticket revenue explaining us that PIKBOH were a business route so will have a second daily freq. PIKBOH a busines route :confused:
If I quickly look at the fares for the last week of May, absolutely all the tickets are of 10£ RETURN TAXES INCLUSIVES!!!
What a good busines route!!! :ugh:

Ryanair forces are negociations (with Boeing especially), low cost (mainly driven by the use of the internet and of the lowER employee cost ie. very low crew salaries) and situation of monopoly on many routes (which generate lots of subsidies). Nothing clever in it...

The problem is also as their P&L has been so strong, their consider their selves as very clever and became arrogant. They must change something, or their will probably suffer over the next years.
They are chasing the volume on May as they will release their financial report next month and don't want to present toO bad LF to shareholders. I think their 2008 results will be not as bad as some could expect, but 2009 will be very very difficult, and I have many arguments for telling that ;-)

Exasperated
7th May 2008, 23:13
Actually the difference between 83 percent and 79 percent is a drop of almost 5 percent (4.82% to be precise)

The drop is 4 percentage points which is different.

Ex

loveJet
8th May 2008, 04:57
h&s - has Ryanair upset you or something?!

PIKBOH air fares can be as high as GBP300 one way last minute i.e next day travel. They are making good money on that route.

Anyway please cut Bournemouth (BOH) some slack - the base has only been operating for a month! BOH-GRO took a few months before it became one of the strongest routes on the entire FR network.

Patuta
8th May 2008, 06:52
In German forums it's said that Bremen-Salzburg has been canceled without even being commenced.

pee
8th May 2008, 07:12
has Ryanair upset you or something?!
Why do you perceive some criticism as a negative thing? I believe most of us do appreciate the efficiency of Ryanair, but in our opinion there is also a need for some changes. It's fair to repeat after h&s: "they consider theirselves as very clever and became arrogant" - the under/overestimation of the firm's capabilities should be verified sometimes, I think.

0523 cov man
8th May 2008, 11:42
is ryanair still going to do cvt dub any one know?

Alvechurch
8th May 2008, 12:22
0523 cov man

Ryanair cvt - dub route, it's supposed to be a secret but as you seem to already know..........

Ryan has also agreed to pull out of BHX, open a huge base at Coventry and fly 200 routes from there.
They will also pay for the runway to be doubled in length and for two new terminals, finance the diversion of the Western Mainline Rail Route through CVT, pay for the M1 & M40 Motorways to be diverted via the airport and give every CVT worker a new BMW car.
That's Phase 1, in Phase 2 they will...... oh sorry, can't tell you that it's confidential. :E

0523 cov man
8th May 2008, 14:41
alvechurch it is only it is only going to be cvt to dub dont you like cvt do you work at bhx if you can not take the heat get out of the fire:D

Alvechurch
8th May 2008, 18:56
0523 cov man

Joking aside, you seem to be the only one who's heard of a possible CVT-DUB route and as you've previously raised the same possibility on the CVT thread it would be a step forward if you could give a little information as to why you think it's a possibility?
Love the mixed metaphor by the way. ;)

0523 cov man
9th May 2008, 11:52
cant let you know but ryanair will be at bhx a long time as ba is not there

cesare.caldi
9th May 2008, 21:45
Any rumors about next Ryanair new base?

Wellington Bomber
10th May 2008, 06:27
Cesare Caldi

Mojave desert most likely:ok:

jamesp
10th May 2008, 09:17
i also heard the rumour about cvt and dublin. i've been told that cvt and dublin is an idle threat towards bhx, i dont know why they've done this. i cant see fr ever coming back to cvt. i s'pose cvt will have to wait about the new terminal, to see if any other airlines will turn up at cvt.

adam12345
10th May 2008, 09:51
I agree i think Ryanair will be at Birmingham for a long time and by the sounds of it more routes to be announced soon Ryanair has already announced from Birmingham this year, with even more to come for the winter. and But watch this space as there are even more to come.

http://www.bhx.co.uk/page.aspx?type=bEyZftSD20U=&id=jAERoqnLlek=&article=ZaDx7K8KcVk=

SWBKCB
10th May 2008, 16:42
Quote from today's (London) Times:

"My trip to an obscure part of Italy and back, booked three months in advance cost 99.45euro (£78.20). Hardly budget"

Either he's a youngster or he's got a very short memory...

cesare.caldi
10th May 2008, 18:55
I' m very curiuos to know what is this obscure part of Italy...

flyzen
11th May 2008, 09:50
Any rumors about next Ryanair new base?And about "Madrid" Don Quijote Airport now ended where ryanair planned to move operations !

cesare.caldi
11th May 2008, 10:22
And about "Madrid" Don Quijote Airport now ended where ryanair planned to move operations ! For me Ryanair don't move the MAD base to Don Quijote Airport, instead can open new route from this new airport.

F14
11th May 2008, 11:52
New bases SUF and FAO

daz211
11th May 2008, 12:56
SUF, I dont think so :eek:.
maybe Tivat :oh:.

F14
11th May 2008, 13:05
Check the Base Wx Folders on PilotBrief........look at the bottom:ok:

Skipness One Echo
11th May 2008, 19:40
Tried to book out in the FR9902 in the morning and back FR9905 in the evening for the 2nd of July and got the follwing : "Pending
Booking is not confirmed until you receive email itinerary."

That was last week, anyone had this issue before. They haven't billed me yet but I really need the flight on this day....

They don't seem to want to answer their phones !!

daz211
11th May 2008, 20:14
Help Stansted - Bournmouth !

You do need help if you think your flying to Bournmouth fron Stansted :}.
think you mean NQY.

I would call Ryanair about you booking.

Charlie Roy
11th May 2008, 22:22
By constantly checking the fares (over many dates) for all of Charleroi's routes I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Charleroi is one of Ryanair's most profitable bases.
2. That said, the new routes to Bergerac and Limoges are dying slow are miserable deaths. If I were Ryanair I'd cancel them, freeing up some nice M-W-F-S slots that they could use for one of CRL - Liverpool / Belfast / Cork / Berlin / Krakow / Bratislava / Verona etc
3. New route Perpignan is doing fantastic. It has had a slightly negative effect on the existing routes to Girona and Carcassonne. Just meaning that Girona and Carcassonne flights sell out at a slower pace now. In general though, Perpignan, Girona and Carcassonne are all very profitable.
4. New route Zaragoza is also very successful.
5. And new route Porto is a HUGE earner, so wouldn't be surprised to see an increased frequency on this one.

PS - I still don't understand why in the current climate Ryanair continue to burn 1000's of euros everyday on the ORK-DUB route :oh:

Morbid
12th May 2008, 11:41
4.... Depends what dates you used. Its the Expo 2008 in Zaragoza from June through to Sept.

kedlinger
12th May 2008, 17:04
just trying to book Bremen-Salzburg, said to start 6th June, somewhere in July but can't find any flight. Is it true that they already dropped this route before even starting it?

FA10
12th May 2008, 17:19
yes, it´s true - obviously not enough bookings...
Interesting, what the alternative route is going to be as the planned BRE - SZG shoud have been flow instead of the dropped BRE - BTS!

en2r
12th May 2008, 17:26
PS - I still don't understand why in the current climate Ryanair continue to burn 1000's of euros everyday on the ORK-DUB route
Michael O'Leary's ego! He'd never live it down if Aer Arann beat him.

Patuta
12th May 2008, 21:10
Three day ago: In German forums it's said that Bremen-Salzburg has been canceled without even being commenced.

Charlie Roy
13th May 2008, 07:54
Hahn - Manchester
Hahn - Lübeck

Budfrey27
13th May 2008, 08:13
MAN-HHN starts 26 Oct 08

cheers
bud

beamwidth
13th May 2008, 15:06
from the RTE website

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0513/ryanair.html

"Ryanair would provide three daily return services on the Kerry route"

So will this herald the opening of a Kerry base?
It'll mean 1 A/C based there at least, is there scope for more?

Charlie Roy
13th May 2008, 21:35
Ryanair could move the Cork based aircraft to Kerry since it'd make more money there on the Dublin route than in Cork.

ryan2000
13th May 2008, 21:48
They're already committed to Cascaronne and Gatwick with that aircraft so its unlikely to happen in the short term.

I'm not so sure that Ryanair are going to blink first on ORK-DUB. The events of the last 24 hrs could be very significant.

EI-BUD
13th May 2008, 22:00
Refering to your last post , I would agree, I cant see Ryanair going away or axing Dublin/Cork, effectively Ryanair will be probably the main airline on the 2 busiest Irish Domestic routes and MOL will hail the arrival of Ryanair on the Kerry route as a victory for low prices and his airline, and another nail in the coffin of Aer Arann.

The fact that Aer Arann have a complaint in at this time, ie that Ryanair are acting in a predatory manner on the Cork/Dublin route, might suggest that they (Aer Arann) were trying to in some way sway the Department of Transports opinion against Ryanair in their favour.

What do you think?

Charlie Roy
13th May 2008, 22:17
Winter schedules are starting to be loaded.
SoMe flights for the following bases are already on sale:
Cork, Hahn, Bremen, Valencia, Bergamo, Edinburgh, Belfast, Reus

Too early to be jumping to any conclusions, but it'll be a nice few weeks of route announcements and route axings :E

en2r
13th May 2008, 22:23
Ryanair could move the Cork based aircraft to Kerry since it'd make more money there on the Dublin route than in Cork.
I can't see them pulling the Cork based aircraft. Even if they pulled Cork-Dublin, they'd probably just use it to operate flights to Stansted/Liverpool/Prestwick or East Midlands that are currently operated by aircraft from those bases as well as operating the flights to Gatwick and Carcassonne.
Why do you presume that Kerry-Dublin will be more profitable than Cork-Dublin? Kerry-Dublin may be getting a subsidy but 3 daily means over 1100 seats to fill every day! Thats an awful lot for a tiny airport like Kerry. The failure of Shannon-Dublin shows that low fares doesn't always fill planes, especially on domestic routes.

Lord Lardy
14th May 2008, 07:30
Thats if they do the route at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they itchy feet at the last minute. The Kerry route from my knowledge is not the most heavily subsidised on offer. So if you take it that say 50 of the seats on a typical sector are up for subsidy and the rest not then that would require a further 130 or so seats to be sold outside the defined regulations. I'm sure I read somewhere that the maximum you can charge for a ticket is 90 euros or something close to that. Coupled to that there should be no tax for a PSO route so the opportunity to hike on all sorts of stealth taxes won't be accepted.

Now come to the cost of operating the flight. If my memory serves me correctly, a turboprop operating that route would probably burn approximately 600kgs per flight. An aircraft like the 737 would burn in the region of 1500 kgs, perhaps even a couple of hundred kilos more. Operating three return flights a day would alone make the fuel burn per day to be in the region of of 9000 -10000kgs. I can't see how they will sell enough tickets on a daily basis to come anywhere close to breaking even. And of course that is assuming you fill the aircraft. Selling early morning coffee and tea won't subsidise the shortfall.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all a stunt by Ryanair to test if they went in with a very low bid to see if it would be awarded to them or if it was all fixed in the first place. They obviously have their answer now so I can forsee a very quick retreat and pull out of the running. It's rare that Ryanair don't jump on the publicity bandwagon and claim a huge victory in winning the route. It's not so long ago that they had a half page advert in the Irish papers denouncing the amount of taxpayers money being spent on these routes. They seem to have now gone very quiet all of a sudden. Link to their own website donouning it here: Press Release (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=08&month=feb&story=gen-en-290208)

I may be wrong. He may do a shannon-dublin on it and test the water. However, with all airlines tightening their belts I would find it strange. We'll wait and see.

ESCNI
14th May 2008, 08:29
Winter schedules are starting to be loaded.

BFS/LPL down to one flight on Saturdays and Sundays......it's like having BA back on the route. :bored:

Looks like easyJet are winning this particular battle.

Charlie Roy
14th May 2008, 09:01
ESCNI
I wouldn't be jumping to any conclusions just yet.
The schedule for the Belfast aircraft mightn't be finalised yet, and the schedules for Liverpool base aircraft aren't loaded yet either...

ESCNI
14th May 2008, 09:21
Okay...I'll hold my horses.

:ok:

Mind you, they'll have to reintroduce some weekend evening flights if they want to make some serious inroads.

ryan2000
14th May 2008, 17:16
As far as I know one of the 3 Aer Arann's on DUB KIR is a non PSO flight.

en2r
15th May 2008, 14:47
Again, nothing today from FR. Something has to be up. They're never this quiet. The results of the PSOs were announced 2 days ago at this stage and still no comment from MOL or nothing on their website. Perhaps they didn't actually think they would get the PSO so they didn't actually have any aircraft lined up to operate the service?

15th May 2008, 14:55
They have plenty of aircraft available next Winter. Maybe the question is whether to open a Kerry base or just use Dublin-based aircraft.

en2r
15th May 2008, 17:36
a reduction of over €1.3m on the amount payable by the taxpayer for the provision of this public service.
Since the figures showed that Aer Arann were getting just over €3 million per annum, this must mean that Ryanair will be getting about €1.7 million per annum to operate the service. Thats only €775 per flight (based on 365 days operating 6 flights per day - 3 return flights). That won't come anywhere near even paying the fuel bill on a 738 for the flight

CTID
15th May 2008, 20:37
a reduction of over €1.3m on the amount payable by the taxpayer for the provision of this public service

...it must mean over the 3 year period....!!! AND...they must know by now what the Aer Arann bid was this time and their tender came in €1.3 cheaper than them over the next 3 years. I wouldn't think that they are talking 'in arrears'... Tendered amounts were hardly less than those of 3 years ago!!!

Based
16th May 2008, 10:07
Looks like the aircraft operating the Kerry - Dublin flights is going to be based in Kerry in some shape or form.

16th May 2008, 10:52
There's quite a long rotation between the morning rotation and the second rotation of the day. Certainly long enough to operate a flight to the UK. They may choose to operate either the existing Luton or Stansted flights in this gap. Alternatively, Kerry could be somewhere to park an aircraft for a while this winter...

VanBosh
16th May 2008, 10:59
I reckon they might even switch the HHN rotation to a KIR based airplane. I think there would eb time between rotation 1 & 2 to Dublin.

Might not use the HHN plane or they could add a HHN - UK or Poland route to replace it..

pee
16th May 2008, 12:44
A quote from a Finnish travel forum:Eikö ole mitään keinoa saada kuriin huippuröyhkeitä venäläisiä Tampere-Pirkkalan lentokentällä? Pian on tilanne se, että suomalaiset eivät mahdu koko kentälle Iivanoiden määrätessä tahtia."Aren't there any ways to curb the insulting Russians at Tampere-Pirkkala Airport? Soon we, the Finnish passengers, won't fit into this area as Ivans set the rhythm". A bit unpleasant racist-like text in fact. I'm citing it here because this shows how popular is Ryanair becoming among Russians. They are coming to Tampere from St. Peterburg to fly ahead, it's over 480 kilometers(!!!) How is it possible that FR still doesn't want to unlock the potential hiding here. EU's easternmost airport in Lappeenranta (LPP/EFLP) is almost 300 km nearer, less then 200 km away from the famous (and large) Russian city. Wondering why this unique place being still within the EU but so close to former Leningrad (the airport was already offered to FR some years ago but no decision made) remains still unexplored?

despegue
16th May 2008, 13:20
FR can make an amazing amount of money in Russia, thing is that the Russian authorities will most likely never allow FR to enter their market in order to protect their own airlines. (most of them owned by people linked to the Kremlin by the way)

eu01
16th May 2008, 15:22
FR can make an amazing amount of money in Russia, thing is that the Russian authorities will most likely never allow FR to enter their market in order to protect their own airlines.Right, but that's why this airport on the EU eastern border could work (as an entry point for both Russians and EU citizens). The same way as northern Switzerland (Basel) has its airport in France, actually, or even better (Switzerland is "almost" an EU-country, Russia won't be).

I must agree that MOL is slow to react to some opportunities further from the Isles. Like CE-Europe, for example. Polish routes are a huge success admittedly, but it was so hard to get Ryanair's interest in flying there (think: still not a single base created in this area). :rolleyes:

en2r
16th May 2008, 20:54
I reckon they might even switch the HHN rotation to a KIR based airplane. I think there would eb time between rotation 1 & 2 to Dublin.

Might not use the HHN plane or they could add a HHN - UK or Poland route to replace it.
Ya the times fit almost perfectly with a Hahn rotation in the morning and a London rotation in the evening. So it looks like the aircraft will be operating KIR-DUB-KIR-HHN-KIR-DUB-KIR-LON-KIR-DUB-KIR. The London airport is not clear but will probably be Stansted (I can't see them increasing Luton from 3 weekly todaily in one go) replacing the evening rotation by a Stansted based aircraft.

Jippie
17th May 2008, 12:19
A yet to be announced Ryanair base is planned at Kerry for July 2008, though planned routes are unknown. This is quite a surprise as it is only around two months from now (16 May 08). Confirmation for this base was recieved through the internal staff system.
Another base on the isles while there is still a huge untapped potential on the (east side of the) contintent itself:ugh:

EI-BUD
17th May 2008, 13:36
While Ryanair will have an aircraft over night in Kerry I would be surprised if they establish a base there, well a base in the usual sense.

There is a very limited range of destinations that would be sustainable from KIR with a 738. Liverpool was a flop. However, would a twice weekly flight to Malaga, Faro etc work.

en2r
17th May 2008, 15:23
It'll be a one aircraft base like Cork, Belfast and Bournemouth. I presume from the Dublin timetable that the aircraft will be operating 3 daily to Dublin, and one daily to Hahn and one daily to one of the London airports.

civil aviation
18th May 2008, 15:19
:ok:
Just returned from short visit to friend in France (STN-RDZ).
Return fare was £19 !
The only negatives were optional matters of personal choice or preference e.g.
-priority boarding (causes chaos/delay and makes little difference in practice)
-tacky (get your scratch cards etc.)
-drinks (rip-off)
-Stansted transfer (expensive but it's not my local airport)
On balance, excellent so long may Ryan continue and expand.

rpmac
18th May 2008, 17:55
Just completed several FR trips, all on time,spotless 737 800´s, good crew, excellent tea even on board, all at low cost, so far nothing to complain about with Ryanair and looking forward to future flights.

schoolkid
19th May 2008, 14:04
Unsurprisingly today RYR have announced the decoupling of free priority boarding from web check in. From what i can make out its now going to be £4/E5 per sector from June 3rd.

Its a wonder it took them this long to cut out. .

ncleflights
19th May 2008, 21:40
Just wonder when the surcharges from FR will stop, what next a charge for using th loo on board or how about a use the stairs to board the aircraft charge. Tongue and cheek I know but come on MOL play the game.

frfly
20th May 2008, 05:53
I think he is playing the game, very well! while FR charge surcharges such as PB and WC, other airlines are sticking a massive fuel surcharge on. Yes its not traditional air travel, but the industry is far from its traditional days im afraid.

Steviec9
20th May 2008, 08:11
Exactly. Flew with BA recently - massive fuel surcharge over which I had no choice. Ryanair, I can choose if I want/need to pay for various services, or not. Other than family/carer groups who HAVE to sit together (and even then, I question why more than one adult needs to look after one or two of their own children on a short flight), why this sudden obsession with getting on the plane first? Everyone is guaranteed a seat, most FR flights are on average 1-2hrs, so shouldn't matter if you are separated from companions for a while and disembarkation of most pax is normally all over within 10 mins of doors open anyway. People are paying £8 for privilege of being out of airport about 5 mins ahead of the rest of us who have no luggage but don't bother with priority boarding normally. And they run away from the plane as though there is a rocket behind them.... Nobody is THAT short of time.

Lord Lardy
20th May 2008, 08:34
I think he is playing the game, very well! while FR charge surcharges such as PB and WC, other airlines are sticking a massive fuel surcharge on.

Fuel surcharges are normally only applied by companies operating long haul flights. Ryanair are a shorthaul airline, so you could argue that their individual charges for this and that are the equivalent of such i.e Stealth Tax. I don't agree with fuel surcharges anyway by the way. These are a requirement by the customer to pay, so as such I think the cost should be absorbed and applied to the advertised price of the ticket.

daz211
20th May 2008, 18:07
Can anyone tell me why Ryanair has a code share with Vladivostok Air
on the STN-HHN flights ?

Is this a way into Russia for Ryanair ?

Having looked at Vlodivostok air website I see they have just started flights to HHN from Moscow and there route map shows London.

All this might be TOP SECRET :oh: Has the cat been let out of the bag !

dwlpl
20th May 2008, 18:29
.... and Milan Bergamo, Rome Ciampino, Barcelona Gerona as well as Madrid.

EI-BUD
20th May 2008, 18:48
http://www.vladavia.ru/en/passengers/specials/2008-04-15-00573/

Hi daz,

thanks for a very interesting post, just looked up that site. Knew v little of this airline, but detect they are A320 operators! I wasnt able to see any availability for any of the Ryanair routes. However the link above shows an explanation of the opportunity to link into Ryanairs network around Europe via Hahn.

daz211
20th May 2008, 19:06
Here is the code share I came across.
FrankfurtFR 752 (http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlight.do?&id=127306933&airlineCode=FR&flightNumber=752) Ryanair7:15 AM 7:25 AM http://www.flightstats.com/go/images/estimated_icon.gif Scheduled
FrankfurtXF 752 (http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlight.do?&id=127306933&airlineCode=XF&flightNumber=752)^ Vladivostok Air7:15 AM 7:25 AM http://www.flightstats.com/go/images/estimated_icon.gif Scheduled

Flight: (XF (http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineDetails.do?airlineCode=XF)) Vladivostok Air 752 Operated by (FR (http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineDetails.do?airlineCode=FR)) Ryanair 752

daz211
20th May 2008, 19:31
If you follow the LINK you posted then click on the LINK halfway down
the page, select HHN as departure Airport, you are then able to see the Ryanair destinations, the only problem is when trying to book, all flights are shown as sold out, well the ones I tried anyway.

The funny thing is they let you select business class.

Maybe this is in the very early stages, but something to keep an eye on
at least :ok:.

Coquelet
20th May 2008, 20:18
With a "priority boarding", you are sure to have a window seat; I hate to fly "blind", without seeing what happens, and I love to see the landscape below, when in flight. This is why I shall pay to be amongst the first lot of passengers to embark.

Michael SWS
21st May 2008, 13:29
Fuel surcharges are normally only applied by companies operating long haul flights. Ryanair are a shorthaul airline, so you could argue that their individual charges for this and that are the equivalent of such i.e Stealth Tax. I don't agree with fuel surcharges anyway by the way. These are a requirement by the customer to pay, so as such I think the cost should be absorbed and applied to the advertised price of the ticket.In the case of British Airways, the surcharge is included in the fare you see on the booking screen, and always has been.

The only reason I can see for specifying the fuel surcharge as an additional element of the fare, rather than simply including it in the fare itself, is that passengers redeeming Executive Club Miles have to pay the surcharge in addition to all the other 3rd party taxes and charges. It makes using Executive Club Miles almost a pointless exercise, as there is now very little saving to be made.

But at least British Airways is upfront about their various charges, and offer a proper level of customer care and assistance in case of problems. I would always choose BA over Ryanair, and have done so for many years. Choice of airline should never be based solely on cost.

frfly
21st May 2008, 15:06
No, it should depend on where you want to go to and from, and I'm afraid I don't see BA offering us flights from UK regions, so looks like it's FR or EZY for the rest of us!

saccade
21st May 2008, 21:38
"With oil at $125 (a barrel) ... we certainly won't make a lot of money," O'Leary told reporters. "I don't think we will lose money."

"If yields (average ticket prices) fall by 5 percent this year and I think the oil price rises above $135 a barrel, then we would be at break even," he said.

"Oil is really hurting us now"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/tnBasicIndustries-SP/idUKL2189832420080521

Flying_Frisbee
22nd May 2008, 10:03
With a "priority boarding", you are sure to have a window seat; I hate to fly "blind", without seeing what happens, and I love to see the landscape below, when in flight. This is why I shall pay to be amongst the first lot of passengers to embark.

What happens if more people pay for priority boarding than there are windows?

Based
22nd May 2008, 10:18

Make sure you're one of the first 63 people in the queue.

CorkEICK
22nd May 2008, 13:15

According to Ryanair only 40% of the aircraft's capacity is sold as "priority boarding" approx 75 seats.

F14
22nd May 2008, 20:46
New Base AGP

Captain Caveman
22nd May 2008, 21:01
With oil at $125 (a barrel) ... we certainly won't make a lot of money," O'Leary told reporters. "I don't think we will lose money."

"If yields (average ticket prices) fall by 5 percent this year and I think the oil price rises above $135 a barrel, then we would be at break even," he said.

"Oil is really hurting us now"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/tnBasi...89832420080521

Well thats today! has reached $135.00 if it stays that way or continues to rise it could be a bad year for FR financially, but they will ride the storm no doubt! just financial results will not be as good as expected I would suggest?

frfly
23rd May 2008, 09:42
When is this to be announced for?

Coquelet
23rd May 2008, 10:14
Quote:

Not all people with priority boarding want to have a window : there are couples, families, parties who just want to be together on the same row;

kingston_toon
23rd May 2008, 13:00
I'm one of those annoying people who legs it to the gate as soon as it is announced to be first (or thereabouts) in the queue, and again from gate to plane, to ensure I get an exit row seat by the window over the wing. Loads of other people seem to do this as well, but in the main, they are generally not rushing for the exit row but to be near the front of the plane, or to sit together. Now that priority boarding will be charged for, I'll have to weigh up my options... either pay it (and pretty much double my flight costs) or take a risk. I wonder how many people will choose to pay...?

I would have thought that the overwing exit seats would be the most popular, but there have been times I've wandered on in the last group to find an entire row empty. Certainly, in my experience, sitting near the front doesn't give you *too* much of a head start, and anyway, at somewhere like Luton or Stansted, I've managed to overtake everyone else on the walk to passport control.

Benefits of the exit row for me are: 1) Extra legroom (I'm tall) and 2) A guarantee that you won't be sitting next to a screaming child!

ESCNI
23rd May 2008, 13:19
Not only that, but you get a marvellous view of all of those fascinating wing rivets as well.

:rolleyes:

kingston_toon
23rd May 2008, 13:25
If you want to look out the window all the way, I guess those seats wouldn't be for you. Maybe that's a factor in them being less popular. Anyway, you can see *enough*, like if you're passing over the Alps or coming in to land.

Has anyone else heard that "Fly fly fly Ryanair" song which has been played on arrival 2 or 3 times now on flights I've been on? It's quite catchy... ;)

ORAC
23rd May 2008, 16:49
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20080523/lcrmlu080522.gif

F14
23rd May 2008, 18:22
Sorry try the link halfway down page 79, for the funky tune

EI-CFC
23rd May 2008, 22:53
The song is absolutely hilarious!!!

daz211
25th May 2008, 10:57
Ryanair is considering taking legal action against a Russian airline that has been selling unauthorised ‘connections’ with its flights, the Irish Independent reports. Moscow-based Vladivostok Air has been offering passengers ‘smoothly connected’ flights from Moscow to six of Ryanair's European destinations, using Germany's Frankfurt Hahn as a hub.

The Russian airline has been promoting the link as a traditional codeshare, and passengers are encouraged to use Vladivostok's website to book through to Ryanair's flights, the newspaper says. Vladivostok has been offering flights through Hahn to London, Milan, Rome, Barcelona (Girona), Dublin and Madrid. The airlines actions go against Ryanair's policy of point-to-point flights only, as well as its refusal to sell tickets through intermediaries.

Ryanair executives said they knew nothing about Vladivostok's activities until it was brought to their attention by the Independent. Deputy chief executive Howard Millar said that there was ‘definitely’ no agreement with Vladivostok and 'we're going to act immediately to stop them booking passengers on our flights. We'll also be exploring legal options, because they are doing this entirely without our consent.’

The Russian airline began flying to Hahn on April 30. The newspaper reports that the airline's website says: ‘Frankfurt-Hahn route is smoothly connected to Ryanair Airlines' regular flights to London, Rome, Milan, Barcelona (Girona), Dublin, Madrid.’

The airline's booking engine makes no differentiation between Ryanair's destinations and their own and Ryanair flights are even coded under Vladivostok's XF code. Ryanair's Hahn to Girona flight, for example, is coded as XF4126, when the actual flight is FR4126 :=:=:=

eu01
25th May 2008, 12:29
Okay, Vladivostok guys are the "bad guys" here, I agree. Nevertheless, a few issues to be pointed here.
the potential of Russia and its future passengers severely underestimated by MOL
the potential of carefully planned connecting flights (in general, primarily within the FR's own EU network) - underestimated
the pathological fear of sharing anything with anybody (code share among others) visible not for the first time here

Ryanair should search for the ways to achieve better load factors on most of their routes. If there are too many competitors (and there are plenty nowadays) one should lure new passengers not only by the means of price, but also by
better connections (yes, by introducing wisely selected connecting flights; making the reliable ones official)
better flight planning (day-trips within the EU)
conquering the new markets (yes, it's Russia) - by flying to the airports near the Russian border with shuttle bus sevices alongside and (after the negotiations, of course) commencing some code share flights if a trustworthy partner emerges

MUFC_fan
25th May 2008, 13:07
eu01 - I completely agree!

As we have seen over the past six months, the load factor at FR has dropped and if they were to use a WN system with connection flights they would easily increase that LF!

Also, the Russians may become a huge market but the current economic climate is not the best for 'testing the water.' Until fuel drops and the economy stabilises FR need to concentrate on doing what they do best.

Euroboy39
25th May 2008, 15:35
The idea of operating to airports on the periphery of the EU, bordering Russia (Finland or Estonia, say) might be thwarted by the Russians themselves. A service to these border points could be perceived by the Russians as
- getting round set bilaterals via a sneeky back-door
- avoiding Russian taxes
- challenging Russian carriers and undercutting prices
Of course, we all know how assertive the Russian government can be. Against this, they could hold shuttle buses up at the border and find problems with people's visas, making people miss flights.

I'm just a bit sceptical that the Russian authorities would accept this back-door way into the Russian market- it might just be more profitable to wait until Ryanair is granted rights to fly to Russia proper.

pee
26th May 2008, 12:10
The idea of operating to airports on the periphery of the EU, bordering Russia (Finland or Estonia, say) might be thwarted by the Russians themselves... Against this, they could hold shuttle buses up at the border and find problems with people's visas, making people miss flights... - it might just be more profitable to wait until Ryanair is granted rights to fly to Russia proper.
Well, you won't find many such localisations anyway. Geographically the best would be Estonian city of Narva, just 150 km from Saint Petersburg, but the nearest suitable runway is only in Tapa (EETA), and it's next 150 km farther away. Otherwise you have Lappeenranta in Finland, 200 km from St. Peterburg, less than 3 hrs drive. Russians creating obstacles, holding the busses at the border? Yes, it could happen, but why just with these ones? The average Russian would use a private car, I guess. The European backpackers could choose to spend the last night in Saimaa Lake district on the Finnish side, I don't see a big problem here. So far it's FR route strategists who didn't give this "gate" a try, I'm afraid. I saw pretty big perspectives for this destination (Lappeenranta = Saimaa Airport = "Sankt-Peterburg West") a couple of years ago, but became annoyed already.

cesare.caldi
26th May 2008, 17:42
I'm just a bit sceptical that the Russian authorities would accept this back-door way into the Russian market

This back door will generate a lot of new European tourists into Russia.
More Tourists= more money.... Russian authorities can understand this? :ugh:

cesare.caldi
26th May 2008, 17:54
Ryanair new routes:

New:Perpignan, Llabanere (PGF) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/PGF.html) to Dublin (DUB) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/DUB.html)
New:Perpignan, Llabanere (PGF) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/PGF.html) to Nottingham, East Midlands (EMA) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/EMA.html)

I don't know start date and frequency, sorry.

adam12345
26th May 2008, 18:16
Where did you find this out!!!

Nice To See New Routes-They Have Been Very Quite Recently:ok:

MUFC_fan
26th May 2008, 18:18
Remember, if Russia were to make opensky agreements with EU countries carriers such as Aeroflot and BA would be very unhappy! They are very lucrative routes and would the Russian government want FR/U2 etc. recking their national airlines party?

It took along time for EU-US openskies and the Russians are even less inviting!

EGAC_Ramper
26th May 2008, 18:50
Cannot quite understand Perpignan to EMA as we already do Carcassone from EMA.

Edit.....
And after looking at the FR website it aint in the booking engine. However recent FR flights from EMA have operated to Perpignan due to an ongoing strike by airport statt at Carcassone, possible mix up??

adam12345
26th May 2008, 19:00
I agree - it is also a new route from Birmingham!

Is it wise to operate from both Birmingham and East Midlands to Perpignan..

SAM-EMA
26th May 2008, 19:02
Does this have anything to do with FR Carcasoone bound flights routing via Perpignan today becuase on the orginal link, the website claims that the route is active as of 26/05/08, which is today. That is why I don't think they are official new routes because there is nothing on the FR website.

SAM-EMA

adam12345
26th May 2008, 19:05
If you look under the "Book Now" area it is listed there - but this is not always accurate.

horatio_b
26th May 2008, 19:49
I was looking to book a cheap flight from Manchester to Dublin using the Ryanair offer which finishes tonight.

For the dates I looked at, I would just pay the taxes and charges.

If I book a return from Manchester, it will charge both sectors at £4.99

If I book it as two singles, the Manchester to Dublin sector is charged
at £4.99 whilst the Dublin to Manchester flight is 4.99 euros (around £4).

Not a significant difference, but slightly cheaper to buy two singles.

cesare.caldi
26th May 2008, 21:21
Does this have anything to do with FR Carcasoone bound flights routing via Perpignan today becuase on the orginal link, the website claims that the route is active as of 26/05/08, which is today. That is why I don't think they are official new routes because there is nothing on the FR website.

Maybe can be

Schorschi
26th May 2008, 21:22
There are rumours about a new FR-Route from ZQW (Zweibrücken) to London (STN?). Anyone knows something about it?

cesare.caldi
26th May 2008, 21:55
Update of Ryanair new route:

New:Perpignan, Llabanere (PGF) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/PGF.html) to Dublin (DUB) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/DUB.html)
New:Perpignan, Llabanere (PGF) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/PGF.html) to Nottingham, East Midlands (EMA) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/EMA.html)
New:Perpignan, Llabanere (PGF) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/PGF.html) to Liverpool, John Lennon (LPL) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/LPL.html)
New:Perpignan, Llabanere (PGF) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/PGF.html) to Shannon (SNN) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/SNN.html)
New:London, Stansted (STN) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/STN.html) to Zweibrucken, (ZQW) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/ZQW.html)

Maybe not all are true new route

cesare.caldi
26th May 2008, 22:01
Zweibrücken is a small former military airport near Kaiserslautern. Actually Germanwings operate SXF-ZQW and there are some charter flights to leisure destinations.

en2r
26th May 2008, 22:38
Update of Ryanair new route:

New:Perpignan, Llabanere (PGF) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/PGF.html) to Liverpool, John Lennon (LPL) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/LPL.html)
New:Perpignan, Llabanere (PGF) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/PGF.html) to Shannon (SNN) (http://www.theairdb.com/airport/SNN.html)

Strike at Carcassonne so all flights are operating to Perpignan instead. I hope it gets sorted before the very first Cork-Carcassonne flight on Wednesday.

MUFC_fan
26th May 2008, 23:03
They still are new routes.

The actual flights havn't been put into the Ryanair system but they are on the drop down list so must be new destinations for the airport.

Not very often do we see a non-based airport receive four new routes at once!

en2r
26th May 2008, 23:26
As I said they are not really new routes. Carcassonne is closed because of a strike and for some reason they have to change the flight numbers so they have to rebook passengers.

boyzinblue
27th May 2008, 09:47
Zweibrücken is now showing on the route map and is expected to be announced later today.

pee
28th May 2008, 12:42
It's a genuine thing, although of a lighter nature.

On May 12th the sensational news spread across Tampere. Some people spotted a light phenomenon shining very brightly over the Pyhäjärvi lake. Some photos and videos were made and there were many speculations what object may have caused it. Even the UFO experts were investigated by the press. Was it an UFO indeed? Well, probably not. Yesterday the Iltasanomat (http://www.iltasanomat.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/uutinen.asp?id=1536695) newspaper brought an answer. According to them, it was just a Ryanair plane approaching the Pirkkala airport. Well, the low-cost flights are such a rare phenomenon in Finland... :) I hope you'll understand.

virginblue
28th May 2008, 13:56
Zweibrücken is a small former military airport near Kaiserslautern. Actually Germanwings operate SXF-ZQW and there are some charter flights to leisure destinations.

Well known also for a large outlet centre next to the airport:

http://www.doz.com/wwwneu/en/index.html

eu01
28th May 2008, 17:02
Ryanair's newest trend is to develope the domestic networks in Ireland, UK, Germany, Spain and in France as well. According to the French newspaper La Tribune, tomorrow the carrier intends to make a couple of new announcements.
La compagnie à bas coûts irlandaise va muscler son offre sur le réseau intérieur français au départ de sa base opérationnelle de Marseille.

Ryanair attaque le réseau intérieur français plus fortement que prévu au départ de sa base opérationnelle de Marseille.
(...)
Selon nos informations, Ryanair a prévu d'ouvrir à partir de la prochaine saison hiver début novembre la ligne Marseille-Lille à raison d'un vol quotidien et la ligne Marseille-Brest (quatre vols hebdomadaires), tout en musclant l'offre sur Beauvais (un vol par jour).
Ryanair is going to announce a daily connection between Marseille and Lille and also Marseille-Brest (to be operated 4 times a week). MRS-BVA will be operated daily (all above from the beginning of a Winter schedule).

Budfrey27
28th May 2008, 17:16
...am i right in thinking there might be flights from MRS to Agadir,Tangier and Nador with FR also?
regards
Bud

en2r
28th May 2008, 17:45
I wonder if MRS-Lille and MRS - CRL will work daily , very close to each other . Either ways it's about time they started to Lille , there is a massive population area around there , Lille , roubaix , tourcoing , kortrijk , bruges etc
Ya Lille would be strange choice considering Charleroi airport is about 100 kilometres away. Would it not make more sense to start a route from Lille that they don't already operate from Charleroi?

The Real Slim Shady
28th May 2008, 18:28
And BHX is about 70Km from EMA and the same from MAN. And LTN is about 60km from STN and 130km from EMA and 95km from BHX.

Freedom of choice.

cesare.caldi
28th May 2008, 19:08
Freedom of choice or ecessive offer?

cesare.caldi
28th May 2008, 19:18
Well known also for a large outlet centre next to the airport:

http://www.doz.com/wwwneu/en/index.html (http://www.doz.com/wwwneu/en/index.html)

This is the main attractive of this area and probably the main reason to open this new route: a shopping route for England people

Maybe Ryanair takes a percentage on the outlet sales... . :E

en2r
28th May 2008, 19:34
And BHX is about 70Km from EMA and the same from MAN. And LTN is about 60km from STN and 130km from EMA and 95km from BHX.
But BHX and EMA only have a few overlapping routes. Also Luton has quite a few different routes than Stansted. However you mustn't forget, the population density in Northern France is only a fraction of that between Luton and Stansted.

anna_list
28th May 2008, 19:51
It's an interesting move. For years now, the FR average sector length has been steadily creeping up (251 miles in 1997, 473 in 2003, 621 in 2007) and FR now flies routes (e.g. Canary Islands, Morocco and Malta) that are longer than many would have thought would have fitted the business model.

In the last year we've seen the BHD base with 5x dly on STN and now 2x daily on EMA, PIK and LPL. Add to this EDI - BOH twice daily, BOH - PIK now twice daily, HHN - SXF 3x daily, HHN - LBC, the new base at REU with mainly domestic routes, frequency increases from BGY to AHO and TPS. And now we've got 3 a day on DUB - KIR and the rumoured French routes.

Let's not forget that FR grew out of short, relatively high frequency routes, but these were over the Irish Sea at a time when people perhaps felt less strongly about their carbon footprints.

Will MOL's cunning plan work?

toledoashley
28th May 2008, 19:55
FR look to be having some expansion in MRS - Tangier/Agadir/Nadar have appeared in the Check-In section.

eu01
28th May 2008, 20:04
Freedom of choice or ecessive offer?
The excessive offer? In my opinion Ryanair does have a very solid network that works in spite of certain inconsequencies in the route planning. E.g. the load factors could be better if the network were more tailor-made according to customers' needs (less "deal engineered") and secondly, if some connecting flights were introduced to boost the diversity/ versatility/ attractivity of the offer.

But hey, being on a French ground. Did you notice this news? I think it's important from Ryanair's point of view.La France s'ouvre aux «plombiers polonais» (France opens up to «Polish plumbers»)

A partir du 1er juillet 2008, un travailleur polonais ou tchèque pourra entrer librement en France et y exercer l'emploi de son choix. A l'occasion de sa visite à Varsovie, le chef de l'Etat a annoncé que la France avec un an d'avance sur le calendrier prévu ouvrira ses frontières aux ressortissants de la République tchèque, de la Slovaquie, de la Hongrie, de l'Estonie, de la Lettonie, de la Lituanie et de la Slovénie, au 1er juillet 2008.
The French president has decided to abandon all restrictions concerning the working force from Poland (and other Central-Eastern European states). As soon as of July 1st., in just one month.
Now, that's something. If FR is elastic enough, the "disposal" of some machines for the winter season might be less necessary...

adam12345
28th May 2008, 20:05
Just looking in the online checkin area and Paris Beauvais is avaliable from London Gatwick as well as Stansted does anybody know any information on this, is it correct or just an old route like many others on the page...:ok:

toledoashley
28th May 2008, 21:08
They were routes in the system for rugby charters, as well as the Athens flights for Football Finals. The old routes from Stansted are also there like Clermont Ferrand and Vitoria, Luton - Fez etc

Charlie Roy
28th May 2008, 22:50
Before:
Brussels - Marseille (20xweekly with brussels airlines AVRO/B737)
Charleroi - Marseille (5xweekly with Ryanair B737NG)
Lille - Marseille (20xweekly with Air France FKR70)
Beauvais - Marseille (4xweekly with Ryanair B737NG)
Charles de Gaulle - Marseille (40xweekly with Air France A318/A319/A320/A321)
Orly - Marseille (110xweekly with Air France A318/A319/A320/A321)
Total 200 weekly flights

After:
Brussels - Marseille (20xweekly with brussels airlines AVRO/B737)
Charleroi - Marseille (5xweekly with Ryanair B737NG)
Lille - Marseille (20xweekly with Air France FKR70) +7xweekly Ryanair
Beauvais - Marseille (4xweekly with Ryanair B737NG) +3xweekly Ryanair
Charles de Gaulle - Marseille (40xweekly with Air France A318/A319/A320/A321)
Orly - Marseille (110xweekly with Air France A318/A319/A320/A321)
Total 210 weekly flights

These 10 extra flights from the let's-call-it "Northern France region" are not such a bad idea. Ryanair will reinforce their presence in the Northern France - Marseille market. The passengers will come from:

Newly generated passengers who would never have thought of going to Marseille only they saw cheap flights on Ryanair or were influenced by reports of the the routes in media/press/marketing.
Students/expats etc who now find they can return home more frequntly given the cheap fares of Ryanair.
Current passengers who fly with the competition. Air France and brussels airlines charge absurdly extortionate prices on their Marseille routes.
Train passengers. Lille to Marseille is a busy train route. Ryanair's tickets are likely to be cheaper than the train fares more often than not.

DDNRN
29th May 2008, 08:54
According to some Newspapers in Germany, FR is busy to increase domestic german flights!

Is there any information about that?

Schorschi
29th May 2008, 09:51
Some new routes...
BRE-GSE
BRE-TFS
BRE-FUE
BRE-RAK
PIK-TFS

Based
29th May 2008, 10:03
FR look to be having some expansion in MRS - Tangier/Agadir/Nadar have appeared in the Check-In section.

Yeap MRS to Lille, Tangier, Nador and Agador all now showing on the route map now too.

VanBosh
29th May 2008, 10:06
Some fine tuning of the route network

Bremen - Fuerteventura, Gothenburg, Marrakesh, Tenerife
Bournmouth - Milan, Paris
Glasgow - Faro, Malaga, Tenerife
Marseille - Agadir, Brest, Lille, Nador, Tangier

Wonder what is cut to make way for this.

airhumberside
29th May 2008, 11:28
EDI-Bremen, launched as twice weekly has been increased to four times weekly. So while FR have had a number of flops at BRE there are some successes too

pee
29th May 2008, 12:02
miserable load factors
there are some successes

Okay.

The best load factors out of all destinations from Bremen (1/2008) had Tampere. No increases.
The best load factor out of all destinations from Hahn (1/2008) had Tampere. Decrease of flights coming.
One of the destinations with the best LF's on the entire network - Tampere. No new routes.
One of the destinations with the highest price levels on the entire network - Tampere. Total stagnation.

It's my silent comment concerning FR's route policy. Is there any logic in it?

dbertman
29th May 2008, 12:11
Have you ever been to Tampere and used the terminal that Ryanair use? (this isn't a criticism of FR by the way) but the 'low cost' terminal there is little more than a waiting room and a wooden desk for checkin, when I flew back there were two flights due to leave within 15 minutes of each other and the place could barely fit all the people in or process them all through the single security point. I think through sheer logisitics it is going to be very difficult for Ryanair to expand much from Tampere, unless they utilise the new terminal and leave the shed of a low-cost one behind.

FR195W
29th May 2008, 12:29
Sounds good for Bremen and Marseille.
But are there any news to be expected in the near future for Weeze ?

Greets, FR195W.