PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 6

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Squark7000
20th Aug 2007, 07:10
Don't forget Rat5, that a limit of 900 hours per year exists. This is 75 hours per month. I am sure that some RYR crews will have flown more then 75 hours a month during the summer, and so some reduction in flying will be required over the winter to stay within the rules. Depending on your point of view, is this not good planning by RYR?
Squark7000

pee
20th Aug 2007, 14:03
an example TMP from HHN I'm surprised that you have been able to notice the potential that here in TMP and Finland exists, while Ryanair didn't bother. Well, certainly FR is in the possession of very precise data, like the load factors and yields (with TMP-HHN and TMP-BRE shining there), but does nothing to benefit from it. I suppose they just cannot accept our Finnish sense of equality; generally we do not want to distinguish anyone and all are given the same conditions. I bet FR could function and expand here without any incentives as well, but it must be infuriating to them.

Did I say they do nothing? Actually they just decided to reduce the frequencies on their best-running route from Bremen! It's BRE-TMP, obviously, with over 90% LF last month :ugh: . Should I comment on this? :mad:

Charlie Roy
20th Aug 2007, 22:04
No flights from Charleroi are bookable on the Ryanair website for the winter timetable.

Glitch in the system? Or preparation for the introduction of new flights / schedules??? Or will all operations be moved to another airport (although I doubt it)?

Aisle2c
21st Aug 2007, 08:12
Don't forget Rat5, that a limit of 900 hours per year exists. This is 75 hours per month. I am sure that some RYR crews will have flown more then 75 hours a month during the summer, and so some reduction in flying will be required over the winter to stay within the rules. Depending on your point of view, is this not good planning by RYR?
Squark7000

I thought it was the Ryanair modus operandi to get the pilot hours in as early as possible ?

Jippie
21st Aug 2007, 14:43
No flights from Charleroi are bookable on the Ryanair website for the winter timetable.

Glitch in the system?
According to the dutch aviation-news site www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl you can only book flight till 11 november. According to Ryanair this is because they need to sort out some things with the airport. To make sure there is an emergency plan if there's a strike again.

Jippie
21st Aug 2007, 16:03
Yes, according to luchtvaartnieuws.nl, Benelux manager mr. Gering said that there are other issues with CRL as well but he refused further comments on that issue.

DrKev
22nd Aug 2007, 00:55
Ryanair in trouble over advertising claims again...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6957882.stm

Based
22nd Aug 2007, 10:19
Ryanair officially announcing the Charleroi suspension now: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=07&month=aug&story=reg-en-200807 (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=07&month=aug&story=reg-en-200807)

Curious Pax
22nd Aug 2007, 10:46
From the RYR website: "forcing the cancellation of over 22,500 of Ryanair’s passenger flights.".

Didn't realise that Charleroi was so busy!!!

Jippie
22nd Aug 2007, 10:49
According to various newspapers they want a compensation of 1 million euros for the strike in june.

owenkirk2005
22nd Aug 2007, 10:51
think it ment 22,500 passengers, not flights.

manintheback
22nd Aug 2007, 14:53
Hmmm. So Ryanair complain they are unfairly treated by the ASA over claims of whos quicker to Brussels then cancel all the flights. Surely shome mishtake?

eu01
22nd Aug 2007, 20:26
Brussels Airlines, a fierce local rival [of Ryanair] in the Belgian market, took advantage of the dispute [with CRL airport] to offer a fire sale of 150,000 cheap tickets for flights from November 12 to ten European destinations from its hub in Brussels.

Source: The Financial Times

rafinha130
23rd Aug 2007, 18:56
my first post...

according to local spanish press, FR is about to land in Leon, in the Castilla Y Leon province, by establishing an agreement with the local government. At the present, Virgen del Camino Airport is in deep remodelling and magnifying works.

The idea is to dominate all the region, from Valladolid to South Asturias.

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp?pRef=1731_38_548719__Cuencas-Ryanair-implantara-vuelos-baratos-Leon-apunta-Cuencas-como-mercado-prioritario

Based
24th Aug 2007, 11:47
€3/£2 to use the check-in desks from September 20th, web check-in free! Effectively €9 to check-in a bag now then.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=07&month=aug&story=gen-en-240807 (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=07&month=aug&story=gen-en-240807)

VanBosh
24th Aug 2007, 13:38
thats what i thought - a sneaky increase to the baggage charge but from reading their website im not sure you have to pay that fee if you pay baggage. wouldnt put it past them tho!!

Cyrano
24th Aug 2007, 14:34
Say I book (after Sep 20th) a return flight from STN - ? -STN and select the now free online check in. I check in online on the outbound flight but can't find an Internet cafe at my destination to print my return boarding pass. When I return to the airport without using the OLCI what will happen then? Will I just be checked in as normal or asked to pay £2 just to check in at the desk?
No, no, a Ryanair customer service manager will come out, apologise to you for the inconvenience and offer you a free drink voucher. Then you'll hear a "flap, flap, oink, oink" sound over your head...
Jack, Jack, what do you think will happen? (Little teeny clue: this is Ryanair we're talking about here...)
Will this now mean the max number of pre boarders will be increased, will there be no limit? I can just see the morning Dublin flights where it is pretty much all hand luggage only. Everyone has priorty boarding. LOL.
No LOL needed - this is what will happen. And I'll bet you that some point in the future, when e.g. 75% of passengers are checking in online (i.e. when enough of the lumpenSLF have been educated to avoid the check-in desks), Ryanair will redefine web check-in so that it no longer includes "priority boarding", and will introduce a new charge of £2 or whatever for said priority boarding. Wait and see...

chrism20
24th Aug 2007, 15:17
Ryanair will redefine web check-in so that it no longer includes "priority boarding", and will introduce a new charge of £2 or whatever for said priority boarding. Wait and see...

This is a double A rated, copper bottom guaranteed certainty.

I give it to November if you are lucky.

JulietNovemberPapa
24th Aug 2007, 15:45
This development is excellent news for people who like me only take hand luggage when flying FR. It'll mean that I can beat two queues, can spend less time at the airport, have a less stressful and frustrating experience, and pay less.

befree
24th Aug 2007, 16:05
1) Ryanair to charge £2/3 euros for using the WC.
2) Ryanair to charge £2/3 euros for using the seat
3) Ryanair to charge £2/3 euros for using the steps
4) Ryanair to charge £50 to apply for a job (sorry they aready do that!)

Do they wounder why load factors are falling?

Check Airman
24th Aug 2007, 16:40
Looks as if Ryanair has another great idea- charge pax to check in. Picked this up on Flight International:

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/Article.aspx?liArticleID=216325&PrinterFriendly=true

Ryanair to charge for airport check-in
By Victoria Moores ([email protected])
http://adserver.adtech.de/adserv|3.0|289|1061235|0|277|ADTECH;loc=300;key=key1+key2+ke y3+key4;grp=[group] (http://adserver.adtech.de/adlink|3.0|289|1061235|0|277|ADTECH;loc=300;key=key1+key2+ke y3+key4;grp=[group])

Irish budget carrier Ryanair (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?pos=HEAD)is to start charging passengers £2 or €3 ($4) for airport check-in across its entire network, but is abolishing its web check-in fees.
Ryanair has been charging £2 or €3 for Internet check-in and priority boarding, while airport check-in was free of charge. But from 20 September it will reverse this policy.
A Ryanair spokeswoman says: “The uptake for web check-in hasn’t been particularly good, because the charge acted as a disincentive.”
The move is aimed at discouraging passengers from checking in bags and using airport desks, which add to Ryanair’s overheads, instead encouraging them to travel light and use Internet check-in.
Passengers travelling with hold baggage will not be able to use the web check-in service. They will therefore have to pay a £2 per person check-in fee, plus £5 per item of luggage and a further £2 should they want priority boarding – a perk which is free to those checking in online.
“[The baggage fee] may well go up in future, because what we are doing is trying to discourage passengers from carrying large amounts of luggage,” says a Ryanair spokesman.
Ryanair flights are available for online check-in from 48 hours before departure. The service closes at minus 4 hours.

Seat1APlease
24th Aug 2007, 16:50
It sounds like a cynical way of getting round the advertising restrictions. It is only a matter of time before LCC's have to show the whole fare including mandatory charges. If you can say that check in, baggage, and priority boarding are optional then presumably the restriction doesn't apply. It's only a matter of time before they install coin-locks on the loos and charge for the use of the steps and overhead lockers.:)

JulietNovemberPapa
24th Aug 2007, 17:21
"Do they wounder why load factors are falling?"

Its average load factor over a year is around 82%, which per se is very good. To give some month-specific examples: July 2006 90% and July 2007 90%; April 2006 85% and April 2007 83%. That 2% deduction was because of an extra high capacity increase. Everything considered, it's stable and fine.

Most importantly, is its net profit is increasing; indeed, it now earns more net profit than Southwest.

james170969
24th Aug 2007, 17:23
How come my reply shows as 50 minutes earlier than the original Post?

Probably because you are here in the UK and the person who started the post is in the USA!

I wonder if Ryanair will reduce their fares to compensate for the new charge, like they said they would do when they introduced the baggage charge. Somehow I don't think so. If they genuinely want to increase the amount of passengers who use the web check in then I think they should allow passengers who have suitcases to use online check in too.

DrKev
24th Aug 2007, 17:26
That 2% deduction was because of an extra high capacity increase.

Sorry if my brain is not engaged but what the heck does that mean?

Haven't a clue
24th Aug 2007, 17:29
Remember when banks and credit card issuers were forced to disclose all their hidden, alledgedly optional charges, and the APR was born?

How long before the LoCos are ordered to do the same (eg you can't pay other than by credit card, and when you do pay by credit card you get hit with a fee....:confused:)

But we'd a proper regulator first, wouldn't we?

Avman
24th Aug 2007, 17:50
Another addition to my LONG list of why I avoid flying Ryanscam :yuk:

MrHorgy
24th Aug 2007, 18:10
Remember the days when you went to the ticket counter, bought a paper ticket with your details on, wrote a cheque or gave cash, walked to the desk, checked in, got through security with minimum hassle got onboard and drinks were free? *sigh*

Maybe i'll laugh my own airline, called "Retro" - it'll have all these things :ugh:

Horgy

JulietNovemberPapa
24th Aug 2007, 18:20
"Sorry if my brain is not engaged but what the heck does that mean?"

Sorry. I should have clarifed it.

It had a 2% reduction in filled seats (load factor) during a month (April 2006 at 85% average and April 2007 at 83%) because of more-than-usual aircraft deliveries that resulted in a temporary excess supply (i.e. more seats/more capacity than could be filled). There was also an element of reduced demand perhaps due to the environmental stuff that meant fewer filled seats.

July just gone had an average 90% load, so on average 9 out of 10 seats were filled - excellent performance, the same average load as July 2006, and precisely as you'd expect from such a month, despite the added difficulties faced by airlines.

It normally just takes time for demand and supply to adjust, which it has.

ayroplain
24th Aug 2007, 18:21
Remember the days when you went to the ticket counter, bought a paper ticket with your details on, wrote a cheque or gave cash, walked to the desk, checked in, got through security with minimum hassle got onboard and drinks were free?
And, no matter whether you flew with BA or EI, it was £300 for DUB-LHR-DUB but only if you stayed two nights - otherwise it was double that. Yes, I remember it well. Thankfully, those days are gone forever.

Check Airman
24th Aug 2007, 18:53
I wonder if the pilots will see any of that extra income?

llondel
24th Aug 2007, 18:56
Of course, when most people check in via the internet they'll have to re-introduce charges for priority boarding.

I always thought that one of the purposes of check-in was to keep tabs on who'd actually turned up at the airport. If so, the fact that you can be miles away and check in, then fail to make the "last call for flight XXX" and delay it because you're still in a traffic jam or in bed, should be considered a retrograde step. Perhaps they need to introduce a scanner where you can scan your home-printed boarding pass when you get past security (or even as part of the route through security, usually plenty of time to fight with an extra box while standing in the queue). From that it's not a million miles to having a machine attached that will print out baggage labels for you, so you can check in bags without needing staff at the desk to do it for you. (Although how many people are going to fail to properly secure the tags?)

PAXboy
24th Aug 2007, 19:05
Haven't a clueeg you can't pay other than by credit card, and when you do pay by credit card you get hit with a feeYou can pay with a debit card and pay a lower fee. They know that most people pay with a credit card and so they charge more for their usage. You have a choice, perhaps not all the choice you want but that is the nature of commerce!

llondelOf course, when most people check in via the internet they'll have to re-introduce charges for priority boarding.Exactly!! But there is nothing wrong with it, just different to what has gone before.

Remers
24th Aug 2007, 19:05
In the US you can print your own bag tag out with your boarding card at the self service machine.

I agree it is stupid to be able to check in hundreds if not thousands of miles away from the airport but if the pax has not checked in any bags at the airport then at departure time you can just offload the pax and go on time assuming they are not at the airport.

Haven't a clue
24th Aug 2007, 19:42
PaxBoy

You can pay with a debit card and pay a lower fee.

Yes you can .... but the fee isn't optional or avoidable!!!!

Mr A Tis
24th Aug 2007, 20:03
Sure adds to my list of reasons for not using Ryanair under any circumstances.

jonjoe
24th Aug 2007, 20:10
in ireland, you can't pay with a debit card. you have to pay the credit card charges, along with all the other stuff. scumair. they are the pits.

CamelhAir
24th Aug 2007, 20:16
It's another manifestation of ryr's inability to raise the "headline" fare, as to do so would drive customers into the arms of the the opposition that provide better service (i.e. pretty much everyone else). So the money must be raised somewhere else.
The "average fare" may well be lower than a few years ago, but the average cash handed over by the punter has scarcely changed. However, ryr has worked out well that the public stupidly don't seem the consider all the add-ons as part of the fare. When people start waking up to this, it'll be very bad for ryanair.
Ryanair are not low fares, they are low one part of the fare and good at advertising.

llondel
24th Aug 2007, 21:42
...public stupidly don't seem the consider all the add-ons as part of the fare.

Actually I find it annoying when I've been quoted a price and find all the extras on top (car hire can be the same). Even more annoyed if they're not clear before I commit any money. I'm all for a breakdown of everything, so we know what various governments take from us in taxes, so if MOL wants to itemise everything down to charging me for the paper and ink used to print a ticket then that's fine by me, provided it's all clear before I commit to pay any money and I only get one final price to pay without extra dribs and drabs later.

CamelhAir
24th Aug 2007, 22:21
llondel
It is annoying, if you think about. But more people seem not to. Hence it works. How often have you heard someone say, "it was such a bargain, the flight was only a penny."? And only when pushed they admit that the actual hit on their wallet was 50 quid and above.

Dublin Airgirl
24th Aug 2007, 22:35
llondel, they do have a scanning thingy at the airprot. that's why there was all that hassle when they first tried to bring it into dub last year, cos the ASUs said it wasn't part of their job to scan boarding cards, they were apparently only there to read boarding cards. ASUs caved in the end...

EastMids
24th Aug 2007, 23:01
And, no matter whether you flew with BA or EI, it was £300 for DUB-LHR-DUB but only if you stayed two nights - otherwise it was double that. Yes, I remember it well. Thankfully, those days are gone forever.

Low fare can be low fare without the Ryanair nastiness. Take Southwest, the original low fare airline... No check-in fees, no baggage fees, no wheelchair fees, complimentary sodas, complimentary nuts/pretzels, etc. Its Ryanair that has turned low fare into a nasty, expoitational money gathering business.

CamelhAir
24th Aug 2007, 23:07
Eastmids, Amen to that.
SWA are a must try for any ryr apologist.

PAXboy
24th Aug 2007, 23:20
It never ceases to amaze me how angry people are at RyanAir, just because they use deceptive marketing ... that works. They are making a fortune and will continue to exploit the market that they have developed. There is no reason for them to offer service in the way that Southwest does - because they are making a lot of money without it. You cannot be cross with them for that. You might not like their way of doing business but then you don't have to use them.

SPIT
24th Aug 2007, 23:22
The that they are going with all the extras you have to pay it will soon be cheaper to fly on BA or the likes:mad::mad::mad:

kingdee
24th Aug 2007, 23:24
some peoples comment's on these pages .If you booka flight with ryanair , ba ,ls,u2,zb,tom, etc etc all these airlines do give you a total price before you commit to pay .These may include cc charges,etc etc .This issue is only good for the consumer ,competion is great and has lowered fares .I USED tro work for a sn they went bankrupt .Come on peeps stop the slagging off on this forum .Ryanair are here to stay and i cant wait for there Big Announcement in a few days weeks or months :ok:

tristarraf
25th Aug 2007, 00:28
I booked a new flight to dublin with ryanair yesterday,It was cheaper to book a flight in a different name than to change name of person in my family who now cannot travel in our original group.I tried to pay by my debit card,2 attempts:mad:,then tried my credit card,WOW what a difference higher fees than a debit card and it worked straight away,I`m SLF and love the cheap fares but I wish there was one price to pay including all booking fees,scrap priorty charges,you shouldn`t have to pay extra if you have no baggage,put it back to like it was before,one price,all included,no feeling of being ripped off with the extra charges.

ryanair1
25th Aug 2007, 03:58
if you can, you will get the lowest fares

If you can't you won't - i.e if you need loads of bags, if you need to constantly change information on your ticket, if you can't check in online, if you are hungry when you get on the plane.

Come on SHEEP people - if you want the lowest fare, stop being so inconvenient on the airline by absorbing employee time...

thats how we can offer genuinely lower fares

D'oh!

Livinginthepast
25th Aug 2007, 05:01
I like most aspects of the Ryanair model. You pay for what you want. You want a flight great. You want to check a bag you pay more. Makes sense. You want to check in at a desk. You pay more. You want a drink. You buy it. You want food. You buy it.

Ryanair are not the first airline to push towards online checkin. The cheapest fares with BMI require checkin at a machine.

What I hate about the model is the lack of service. I hate the way they pull flights and leave the passengers high and dry. It is embarrassing but we, as pilots, just fly the planes.

The one thing is Ryanair have lead the downward trend in air fares which is welcome. Lower costs have lead to increased rotations and more jobs for pilots not just in Ryanair but most competing airlines as well.

JulietNovemberPapa
25th Aug 2007, 06:09
"Low fare can be low fare without the Ryanair nastiness. Take Southwest, the original low fare airline... No check-in fees, no baggage fees, no wheelchair fees, complimentary sodas, complimentary nuts/pretzels, etc. Its Ryanair that has turned low fare into a nasty, expoitational money gathering business."

Actually, Southwest isn't the "original low fare airline" - that goes to Pacific South West.

Anyway, it tells you something when Southwest - with all its touchy-feely stuff, its good reputation, its excellent relationships, the good experiences, and its 3x as many aircraft - is now less profitable than Ryanair.

Incidentally, when I fly Ryanair I chose not to have checked luggage or whatever else. That's why this modification will benefit me: I can bypass two queues, spend less time at the airport, and save more money. Indeed, the only charge that I pay is the for debit cards (70p). But if I had a Visa Electron card I wouldn't pay any charges: it's free.

Patuta
25th Aug 2007, 08:30
Despite all the bugging by additional charges to me it comes all down to this: The cheapest flights I'll still get with FR.

But don't let them become a monopolist. It's only the competitors who incite them.

Mr A Tis
25th Aug 2007, 08:45
Call me old fashioned but I do like to be treated like a valued customer rather than a commodity.
Southwest & Air Berlin show it is possible to be low cost & treat passengers like humans.
The danger is that the "sheep" at the other airlines will want to follow the Ryanair model & lead to further dumbing down of the travel experience.
My vote & money will go every time to the airline that offers low fares & FREE check in, FREE baggage allowance, FREE sodas, FREE nibbles, & will look after you when it all goes tits up.

JulietNovemberPapa
25th Aug 2007, 08:56
"Air Berlin show it is possible to be low cost & treat passengers like humans."

I flew four sectors on Tuesday gone as a birthday present with AB, and three of those were late - by a minimum of 30 minutes, a maximum of 1 hour. The cabin crew were OK: they did their job. The inclusive - not free - refreshments were pointless and served no real value: I had lukewarm, flavourless tea and, depending on the route, a packet of crisps or a small bagel. The only redeeming features were the relatively low fares (for flying into TXL, MUC and DUS) and the assigned seating. Interestingly, AB is making a loss - which is increasing. Anyway, I had a very good day, but I'd only give AB 6/10.

I can't wait for my wee daytrip with FR in Nov, routing STN-OPO-MAD-CIA-STN for 4p all-in with no charges whatever. Oh, and our trip in 2 1/2 weeks BRS-DUB-BRS, which cost 2p all-in for a return with no charges whatever. Oh, and our trip in 5 weeks STN-SVQ-STN, which cost 2p all-in for a return with no charges whatever. And from my large amount of previous flights on FR, I expect those to be on-time and deliver precisely what I expect and not one bit more, rather than with AB, where you expect a lot but they don't deliver, just like my experiences on so-called full-frills airlines, like BA.

Haven't a clue
25th Aug 2007, 09:19
I can't wait for my wee daytrip with FR in Nov, routing STN-OPO-MAD-CIA-STN for 4p all-in with no charges whatever. Oh, and our trip in 2 1/2 weeks BRS-DUB-BRS, which cost 2p all-in for a return with no charges whatever. Oh, and our trip in 5 weeks STN-SVQ-STN, which cost 2p all-in for a return with no charges whatever

Now I know why Ryanair load factors are high....but don't you feel just slightly guilty, planet saving wise??:}

JulietNovemberPapa
25th Aug 2007, 09:50
"Now I know why Ryanair load factors are high....but don't you feel just slightly guilty, planet saving wise??"

Not in the slightest. I can drive but don't have a car, and car emissions is collectively far worse than plane emissions. I bet the vast majority of the silly environmental protestors that were at LHR drove to and from there; after all, how could they have brought their kitchen sinks with them? And when the 1p all-in deal comes again, I'll book more. :p

CamelhAir
25th Aug 2007, 14:05
JPN
How nice you got such cheap fares. However, do you think ryanair make any profit on that, even if you buy anything on board. So are they charging you so little out of the goodness of their heart? No, didn't think so.
So what's the angle you might ask? Obviously you can't fly pax around at a loss forever. Ah wait, here's a thought, maybe they intend to drive others off the routes so they can establish a monopoly and drive up prices.
So, great enjoy the fares while they last, but remember the day will dawn when ryanair are a monopoly, and will charge accordingly.
Ryanair are the ultimate monopolist airline (notwithstanding what the PR) and will agressively attack the opposition until they are dead.
The reality of higher fares will come sooner than you all think. That's the ryr game plan.

I`m SLF and love the cheap fares

Except by your own admission, they aren't cheap by the time you've finished paying all the extras.

ryan2000
25th Aug 2007, 16:31
Many people put no forward planning into flights and travel on impulse. This is where Ryanair score big time. In fairness the deal they did with Boeing in 2002 when everyone else were running scared has enabled them to keep fares low.

Mr A Tis
25th Aug 2007, 17:19
Dont forget JPN, that if they decide to cancel, say your OPO-MAD flight, then they will offer to take you onwards to MAD at some time in the future, or give you your 1p back. Your other flights will be voided as you are a no show.

eidah
27th Aug 2007, 11:16
How long are people going to put up with this surely there will be a point when people will just say enough is enough and find another airline such as ba. As has been mentioned if it all goes wrong i.e tech aircraft, delays etc etc which airline would you prefer to be stuck with mine certainly would not be FR

Runway 31
27th Aug 2007, 16:54
Nice and easy when you are in London. Ryanair fly's from where i want to go from and too where I want to go. No one else does. If it was not for Ryanair there would be very few direct destinations out of Scotland. BA does not go direct from anywhere out of Scotland, in fact unless you want to go to London BA does not go anywhere.

Skipness One Echo
27th Aug 2007, 17:27
Ryanair doesn't fly to anywhere I want to fly to from Scotland outwith the UK and Ireland....the rest are miles from where I would be going or used to get cheap immigrant labour into the UK economy

glasgowpik
27th Aug 2007, 23:49
I would really like to know the reason why BA doesn't fly to international destinations from Scotland.
Is it because Scotland doesn't have a National airline?
In Ireland Aer Lingus flies to many international destinations.

Ryanair doesn't just fly to Eastern Europe from Scotland,but also to interesting destinations in Spain and Italy,so it's not only to get cheap labour into the UK.

dumdumbrain
28th Aug 2007, 07:32
BA Is for British people, who include Scottish, Welsh and NI. . . Scotland is still apart of the Uk, so it does have a national airline, which is BA.

Don't forget Scotland only has a total population of a little over 6 million people. More people live in London alone.

Back to the forum, Ryanair does tend to fly to sun routes from PIK, but at the end of the day, it will only fly where the demand is.

Voldermort
28th Aug 2007, 09:23
dumdumbrain
"BA is for British people,who include Scottish,Welsh and NI"
The above phrase does not even merit a reply:=(except for this one of course!)
As for the size of the population I think Eire only has around 4 million but Aer Lingus manage to fly to places other than London.
"Ryanair does tend to fly to sun routes from PIK"
Not sure of your definition of a sun route but maybe 3 or 4 routes from PIK could be called that but not the other 24:ugh:

MUFC_fan
28th Aug 2007, 10:23
BA may not operate the flights themselves, but they, as I have said before, can get you from a beach in Northern Scotland to anywhere in the world. Name another airline that can do that!

I do agree that EI are able to operate outside of DUB with a successful base at ORK, but name a major LC based their with a wide variety of flights to Europe? FR offer limited services.

If BA were to base aircraft at GLA or EDI they would be taking on EZY and GSM who can be wruthless. BA would be able to find niche routes from the airports with it's A320 and A319 aircraft but we Brits, arguably the most patriotic nation in Europe would die for our country, but when it comes to airfares, we are suckers for the low cost option.

Anyway, this is an FR thread...any more new routes for the winter coming up? Also, when will the summer schedule be launched?

JulietNovemberPapa
28th Aug 2007, 10:39
Apparently two wheels fell off an FR 73H on approach to KRK. No injuries.

en2r
28th Aug 2007, 10:49
I do agree that EI are able to operate outside of DUB with a successful base at ORK, but name a major LC based their with a wide variety of flights to Europe? FR offer limited services.

EI's Cork base is doing very well with speculation for some time of a fifth based aircraft. I don't agree that Cork's european flights are limited to EI. The reason for FRs Cork base being so small is the ongoing fued over airport charges at Cork. However Centralwings operate to 3 Polish destinations from Cork, Wizzair operate to two, Aer Arann operate to two French destinations, Malev operate to Budapest and Sky Europe are to commence Cork-Bratislava in October. The reason that no other LCCs have a major presence stems from the Ryanair-Easyjet Gatwick debacle that showed that while FR don't want to have a major presence in Cork they don't want anyone else to have a presence there either.

virginblue
28th Aug 2007, 11:32
A Boeing 737 reportedly veered off the runway at KRK at approx 11 a.m. local time. No casualties according to the only news report so far. Rumour is that the aircraft lost two wheels either on approach or on touching down.

EDIT: Wild exaggeration by the press. Just a flat tyre, as can be seen in this picture: http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/1/4439/z4439471X.jpg

top jock
28th Aug 2007, 11:42
Fact. Burst two tyre's on landing and also had a birdstike on approach.

MUFC_fan
28th Aug 2007, 11:55
Was FR1174 from SNN.

Next information due at 1430 (BST).

Has effect on later LGW rotation.

Rallye EI-BFP
28th Aug 2007, 13:12
Two front tyres both blew out, as can be seen in this photo

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/1/4439/z4439471X.jpg

Aircraft was EI-DHC

eu01
28th Aug 2007, 15:39
Yesterday CRL routes weren't fully bookable yet, but now all flights are on sale again
Ryanair said it had reached an agreement with Brussels South Charleroi Airport, which has allowed the airline to release all seats for sale from Nov 12 onwards after strikes at the airport in June.

The airline said it welcomed the agreement, which was reached between the Ministry of Transport and the public service unions, which will guarantee that in future, any strikes will be accompanied by a minimum of 48 hours notice in order to allow passengers to make alternative arrangements.

As a result, Ryanair said it has resumed negotiations with Brussels South Charleroi Airport about further growth and new route development.

Source: businessworld.ie

ryan2000
28th Aug 2007, 18:35
Cork has a portfolio of airlines operating there and while Ryanair are welcome to expand it will not be at any price. Of course they could always expand in Cork as a predator on existing routes as is happening at Dublin.
On a different issue I'm sure Ryanair will be watching with interest what deal the SAA and even the Government might be offering BMI to operate SNN-LHR. In fairness to Ryanair they are entitled to expect the same terms for operating to form SNN to LGW and STN as all state airports have always considered the London airports to be one market.

Patuta
29th Aug 2007, 08:38
Today FR press conference in Bremen. Any notion?

kubik
29th Aug 2007, 08:58
I'm crossing my fingers for Katowice-Bremen ;)

VanBosh
29th Aug 2007, 09:23
What time is the conference on at?

Do you think KTW will replace something or are we looking at further aircraft deployment? If so what other routes can we expect?

Stewart28
29th Aug 2007, 09:49
FR has announced two new routes from Bremen to Alicante and Palma and will start at the end of October

Voldermort
29th Aug 2007, 09:50
2 new routes BRE-Palma and Alicante but dropping BRE-Murcia

swifts1010
29th Aug 2007, 11:41
Why did Ryanair stop STN-BLK route I used it a few times and the 737-800s where always very full.:confused:

jack_essex
29th Aug 2007, 13:08
The evening STN - BLK route was normally very busy but the morning STN - BLK route usually had VERY low load factors. This was reverse in BLK, where the morning BLK - STN was busy and the evening BLK - STN was virtually empty. This of course didn't apply to every day just the majority.

swifts1010
29th Aug 2007, 15:33
Is there any chance of STN-LPL starting or STN-MAN because the STN-BLK route stopped.

MUFC_fan
29th Aug 2007, 22:42
The main reason for the STN-BLK closure was because of the timings. The aircraft was due to land in STN at 9.10, which is completely unacceptable for business passengers.

If the aircraft was BLK based (which it obviously wouldn't be), then the aircraft would be able to operate early morning into STN helping business travellors get into London intime for a 9 o'clock start and it would also help increase the STN-BLK morning loads with a more attractive departure time from the capital, especially during the summer when Blackpool Pleasure beach is in it's prime.

Been discussed many times before, an aircraft could have been based at BLK successfully:

BLK-STN 06:50-07:45
STN-BLK 08:10-09:05
BLK-GRO 09:30-12:40
GRO-BLK 13:05-14:15
BLK-DUB 14:40-15:30
DUB-BLK 15:55-16:45
*** DOWNTIME *** (They do in GRO!)
BLK-STN 17:45-18:40
STN-BLK 19:05-19:55

It would have been possible, but not seen by FR and probably not economical as all of the other airports are bases, but, instead of leaving an aircraft on the ground in STN this winter, why don't they give it a try?!

Would be very surprised to see a MAN or LPL route.

MAN have tried STN with AB and it hasn't worked, mainly due to the times, FR's wouldn't be much better.

LPL is apparently in talks with BA and 'other airlines' so maybe Ryanair, but I suppose a BA route would be more successful if to LHR, not so sure about LGW.

Also, STN are currently cutting routes - not starting them!;)

OliWW
30th Aug 2007, 09:56
The only real problem with that timetable layout is that the aircraft is sitting around on the ground from about 8pm, thats not good for Ryanair, Thats why this alternitive might just work around that problem

BLK - STN 07:00 - 07:55
STN - BLK 08:25 - 09:20

BLK - GRO 09:45 - 13:00
GRO - BLK 13:25 - 14:50

BLK - DUB 16:10 - 16:55
DUB - BLK 17:25 - 18:15

BLK - STN 18:40 - 19:35
STN - BLK 20:05 - 21:05

As some people might agree this timetable is better, Yes there is a 1hr 20min crew change period, however Ryanair have these times of crew changing periods through out there base areas.

And also the aircraft gets onto the ground at 21:05 insted of 19:55, quite a big money making difference. Have Ryanair ever considered Shannon From Blackpool?

Cyrano
30th Aug 2007, 11:12
And also the aircraft gets onto the ground at 21:05 insted of 19:55, quite a big money making difference.

Oli, it's only a "big money making difference" if it represents more flying and hence more revenue - but your schedule is 8 sectors, just like the previous one only spread differently through the day. Yes, the Dublin timings may be better, but the evening STN timings are worse, so there's no clear win. The revenue difference would only come if the aircraft were to do *another* rotation (SNN or wherever) late in the evening.

chrism20
30th Aug 2007, 11:18
What about a double daily to DUB?

If it were to do the following it might work a bit better

BLK/STN
STN/BLK

BLK/DUB
DUB/BLK

BLK/GRO
GRO/BLK

BLK/STN
STN/BLK

BLK/DUB
DUB/BLK

Again not the greatest timing for DUB but it would allow a day trip with the first flight arriving into dub around 1020ish

Not sure how double daily would work from BLK (remember LS to BFS?) and it may just draw pax from the LPL & MAN services

en2r
30th Aug 2007, 11:27
Isn't all this talk of a FR base irrelevant since they've already axed STN-BLK. The route just did not have enough traffic to support a twice daily 738 service. They were practically giving away the seats yet rarely had a load factor more than about 50%. There has been a general downturn in the market for domestic flights in the UK, domestic England ones especially as people try to avoid huge airport queues and restrictions on luggage. Changing the times might have improved passenger numbers in the short term but in the long term there would probably be a further downward trend.

garethjk22
30th Aug 2007, 11:42
I think the last statement that the route did not have enough demand is wrong. The route carried 130k passengers per year despite possibly the worst timings on a regional service to London.

Everyone admits the schedule was wrong and that was the downfall. The service suffered terribly due to the early morning departure from STN. With all the respect in the world, no one wants to catch a flight at 0650 from STN to BLK - and this was reflected not only in the load on that sector but also the yield. If you remove this sector from the scenario then the route performed reasonably well.

You must remember there is no direct train from the Fylde Coast to London, despite a market of around 350k people on the Fylde alone. Add to this, the cost of a train for a business trip to London and the market is strong for BLK, stronger than LPL or MAN as the FYlde is an hour further away from London.

It was accepted by everyone I spoke to that different times on the route would have made a big difference, an arrival into BLK at 0750 is not attractive, the resort does not open until 1000ish, whereas an arrival a little after nine works for the tourists and the north bound business traveller.

It is a huge shame this route was lost for BLK, and I think there is a real opportunity to replace it.

To say there is no market is wrong, if you can get 130k people a year onto a service that doesn't really work for any market sector, just imaging how many you can get onto one that does.

dwlpl
30th Aug 2007, 12:56
Starting Saturday 22nd December, Ryanair are to operate 1*per week flight to Friedrichshafen from Liverpool.

JulietNovemberPapa
30th Aug 2007, 14:20
"Ryanair are to operate 1*per week flight to Friedrichshafen from Liverpool."

And they've also announced two other new Saturday-only routes: NYO-GNB and BOH-BGY. It's a part of offering even more ski-orientated routes, both from Britain and continental Europe; indeed, Ryanair now promotes itself as the "UK's No.1 Ski Airline."

en2r
30th Aug 2007, 14:20
Have Ryanair ever considered Shannon From Blackpool?

I'd say this is unlikely. Loads on SNN-LPL are decent but not spectacular. I don't think there is anywhere near enough traffic from Shannon to support a service to Blackpool in addition to routes to Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds Bradford.

Rallye EI-BFP
30th Aug 2007, 14:33
Blackpool has been considered from Shannon, and is on list of possibilities.

Its possible, but they would probably prefer to send the aircraft to somewhere that would make more money. It would be easily supported however

airhumberside
1st Sep 2007, 09:37
Rumours on a local EDI forum of a FR base to be announced there next week

glasgowpik
1st Sep 2007, 19:29
I would certainly welcome a new FR base at EDI.
Considering BAA's charges,does this mean a particular agreement has been made between BAA and FR?
Because I'd consider difficult FR opening a base with standard rate charges.

honest man
2nd Sep 2007, 00:25
How would you welcome a new Edinburgh base especially if at the expense of Prestwick iam not saying thats going to be the case but you never know

BHDflyer
2nd Sep 2007, 13:42
I've heard Ryanair will start BHD-STN on 28 October following the news that Air Berlin will stop flying it

ivanskigib
2nd Sep 2007, 13:54
I wouldn't mind seeing Ryanair flying to Gibraltar as there's a serious shortage of destinations to the UK provided by the present carriers.

glasgowpik
2nd Sep 2007, 15:06
Why should an EDI base be a threat to PIK's base?
It would be an addition,not a replacement.
These airports have different catchment areas,and other airlines have flights from both cities (Easyjet for example).

james170969
2nd Sep 2007, 23:19
I think that if Ryanair did open a base in Edinburgh then it surely would have at least some effect on Prestwick. There are quite a number of passengers who use Prestwick that come from Edinburgh and the central belt. Prestwick Airport, I'm sorry to say, really has gone downhill lately. Overcrowded departure lounge, litter left from the night before, a cafe that looks like it was decorated by Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen and very expensive too!

MUFC_fan
2nd Sep 2007, 23:21
EZY can operate a dual Scottish base, and so can GSM, why can't Europe's biggest airline do it?

honest man
3rd Sep 2007, 01:15
I think the point is being missed here FRs deal with Prestwick is up next year and if they dont get what they want theyll be off,and the airport needs new owners quick in my humble opinion

PPRuNeUser0178
3rd Sep 2007, 07:10
MUFC - EZY do not operate a dual scottish base, unlike GSM we have two Scottish bases, EDI and GLA.

MUFC_fan
3rd Sep 2007, 07:45
Sorry, that is what I meant!:ugh:

james170969
3rd Sep 2007, 11:31
"I think the point is being missed here FRs deal with Prestwick is up next year and if they dont get what they want theyll be off,and the airport needs new owners quick in my humble opinion"
I didn't know that Ryanair's deal with Prestwick was up next year. Somehow I think that Ryanair will use whatever tactic necessary to get exactly what they want. I couldn't agree more that Prestwick needs new owners. I think it's high time they got rid of that embarrassing and outdated slogan not to mention the ghastly purple decor and the picture on their website of a woman looking up a man's kilt is embarrassing to say the least, I mean what kind of impression does that picture give to foreign visitors?. The departure lounge badly needs to be expanded to accomodate more passengers and retail outlets and the existing one should be tidied and cleaned on a regular basis!

glasgowpik
3rd Sep 2007, 13:23
The Charleroi row was resolved very quickly.
Do you think FR is just threatening Prestwick to get a better deal on renewal?
So aren't they interested in having two Scottish bases?
Yes there are people travelling to PIK from the central belt,but now that international destinations from EDI are increasing(particularly Easyjet),many people from the East don't need to drive to PIK.
I'd be surprised if FR continued to leave this market to Easyjet and others just because there isn't an alternative airport on the East side.

EGAC_Ramper
3rd Sep 2007, 22:21
Wouldnt be surprised with Edinburgh and I think would be a welcome addition ot the FR bases, heard it mentioned a while back along with Newcastle AND at the time Bristol. Heres hoping to Newcastle I'll get meself shifted up there for hte nightlife.:ok:

allanmack
4th Sep 2007, 05:51
FR will always try to get the best deal but they won't dump PIK as it is (and will continue to be) one of their best negotiated contracts. They also have a maintenance base at PIK.

EDI has always been on their radar as the city is a big inbound attraction for foreign visitors. What may happen is that an EDI base will further slow PIK's FR growth but unless GLA come in with a deal close to or on a par with PIK's, then FR will remain at PIK for the foreseeable future.

Charlie Roy
5th Sep 2007, 22:22
This article says Ryanair are considering Santander as their 5th Spanish base:
http://www.libertaddigital.com/noticias/noticia_1276312496.html

What ever happened to Reus?!

JulietNovemberPapa
6th Sep 2007, 11:30
BHD-STN now appears in FR's drop-down menu.

Interestingly, BHD is now a red square - symbolising a base - on FR's destinations page. BHD-STN is on its destinations page.

There isn't yet any more information.

JulietNovemberPapa
6th Sep 2007, 11:48
No official press release yet, but based on the article below FR is due to announce the creation of BHD as a base - its 23rd - and to announce a 4x daily route BHD-STN and a second daily frequency BHD-LPL.

http://www.hemscott.com/news/latest-news/item.do?newsId=49372796694563

RAT 5
6th Sep 2007, 12:08
The Spanish are still arguing with UK over the return of Gibralter. At the same time they are allowing Ireland to take over its coastline in a subtle, surreptitous and stealthy manner. No doubt the vast majority of arrivals will be UK residents. I wonder if RYR will start flying to GIB and then really put the cat amongst the apes?

farmstrip
6th Sep 2007, 14:30
Twice daily to Liverpool! The second flight leaves 20 minutes after the first. Either there's a great demand for a mid-morning service or someone's cocked this up.

JulietNovemberPapa
6th Sep 2007, 15:00
Yes, they are stupidly timed, so I expect the flight that is operated by a LPL-based 73H to be rescheduled at some point.

Skipness One Echo
6th Sep 2007, 15:01
When we say Ryanair have a maintenance base at PIK are the engineers Ryanair employees or is it subcontracted? ie Who runs the hangar? It has no logos

allanmack
6th Sep 2007, 19:25
Understanding is that they are FR employees based on adverts placed by FR when the base opened. The key guys have @ryanair.ie e-mail addresses I gather. That's all I know though. Stand to be corrected if anyone has the actual information.

Charlie Roy
6th Sep 2007, 19:37
Ya, Ryanair also have a scholarship / apprenticeship (cheap labour) scheme for student engineers, so all (most) maintenance guys are Ryanair employees.

iain100
6th Sep 2007, 19:53
I think the ownership structure is rather opaque, as alluded to by this: http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4211.

Certain jobs at the hangar are advertised on the Ryanair website but applicants were invited to reply to a Prestwick Aircraft Maintenance Limited email address ([email protected]). (see here: http://apps.scottish-enterprise.com/SupplierDirectory/ViewSupplierInContext.aspx?SupplierGuid=5214793C-2FE5-47A0-B55F-3CBBE4161269&displayID=104925).

PAML seems to be a company registered in Scotland (see this: http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/download.asp?docId=991196) which suggests it's not wholly-owned by Ryanair.

However, Ryanair's filings with the SEC in the US (see this: http://www.secinfo.com/$/SEC/Filing.asp?T=14Bmp.21az_3q0f) mention a hangar at PIK leased for the purposes of aircraft maintenance.

I suspect that FR have some degree of ownership of PAML but have an agreement with Scottish Enterprise to get generous training grants.

ericlday
9th Sep 2007, 07:56
Ryanair is considering pulling out of Almeria, according to a report in the Wednesday edition of Ideal Almería. The local newspaper suggests that Ryanair is studying the continued viability of its Dublin and London Stansted routes.

An increase in airport taxes is said to be the reason behind the decision, together with decreasing passenger volume and rising fuel costs. Ideal says Ryanair could pull out as soon as November.

greensides101
9th Sep 2007, 12:38
Hi
Does anybody know (or can give a best guess) on when Ryanair Summer 2008 flights from Liverpool may be announced
Thanks

eu01
10th Sep 2007, 16:27
Today, in accordance with its earlier declaration, Ryanair lodged an official appeal with European Court of First Instance (CFI) against the EU Commission's decision to block its merger with Aer Lingus - calling it "unlawful and politically motivated".

“We do trust that the Court will overturn this decision in the interest of the consumers and competition. As always with the European Commission, it seems to have different rules for the “national” carriers, and another stance while considering Ryanair”, declared FR's Jim Callaghan.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
10th Sep 2007, 16:46
Reports that Flyglobespan is to close its STN base, Will Ryanair step in
and take over the TFS route ???

eu01
13th Sep 2007, 07:57
Just happening:

13/09/2007
* Milano: 9h00 conferenza stampa RyanAir per la presentazione
del "manifesto di RyanAir per Malpensa".
Milan: 9h00 RyanAir's press conference, the presentation of the “RyanAir manifesto for Malpensa”.
'Good bye Alitalia' or something like that?

eu01
13th Sep 2007, 08:31
Pretty much so. Here is more:Ryanair è pronta a investire 1 miliardo di dollari per il lancio di 80 rotte da Malpensa e Bergamo in risposta al piano di Alitalia che prevede di tagliare quasi la metà dei suoi 340 voli giornalieri.
Lo ha detto il capo della comunicazione della compagnia Peter Sherrard presentando il suo "manifesto per Malpensa".
L'investimento prevede l'acquisto di 12 aerei con base a Malpensa, dove Ryanair intende aprire 50 rotte internazionali con destinazioni europee 10 rotte nazionali per un investimento complessivo di 840 mln.
Domani la società incontrerà i vertici Sea, gestore degli areoporti milanesi, nella sua sede di Dublino.
Ryanair is ready to invest 1.000.000.000 USD for the launch of 80 routes from Malpensa and Bergamo in answer to Alitalia's plans to cut nearly the half of its 340 every day flights.
Its “manifesto for Malpensa” introduced today head of the communication of the company Peter Sherrard.
The investment would concern the purchase of 12 airplanes with a base in Malpensa, where Ryanair wants to open 50 international routes to European destinations and 10 national routes.

atmosphere
13th Sep 2007, 18:22
Ryanair offers advertising space to sea carrier

Irish low-cost airline Ryanair has announced that it is courting sea transport provider the Dublin Port Company in an attempt to sell advertising space in its in-flight magazines.

The carrier, run by entrepreneur Michael O'Leary, announced that it had taken the decision to offer the advertising space to the firm after hearing that Aer Lingus had rejected a similar application.

Ryanair stated that the move was a symbolic gesture indicating that it did not consider itself troubled by competition from the port company or other modes of transport, "not by air, not by rail, and certainly not by sea".

Peter Sherrard, head of communications at the firm, says: "Ryanair looks forward to welcoming the Dublin Port Company's €30,000 [£20,600] advertising contract to our inflight magazine because unlike Aer Lingus, we aren't afraid of any competition."

Meanwhile, Mr O'Leary has told Belgian weekly Trends that air transport is a "stupid business" which often results in loss-making enterprises, Reuters reports.

:}Hmmmm Wonder if he allow easyjet to run an advertising campaign in the ryanair magazine!!??

FlyerFoto
13th Sep 2007, 21:07
That's fine - in our neck of the woods, a lot of 'First' buses carry advertising for 'One' - a train company owned by National Express!

eu01
14th Sep 2007, 08:24
Last year the Malta Government announced a set of incentives to attract low cost carriers to Malta. They are being granted, however, for selected destinations only. Now the government has been urged to let Ryanair fly from Bologna as well.
It would be "suicide" for the tourism industry if the government did not give Ryanair the Bologna route, which Meridiana has just dropped, and allowed for the shedding of a single route in winter, the president of the Malta Hotels and Restaurants Association, Josef Formosa Gauci, insisted yesterday.
Expressing major concern, Mr Formosa Gauci strongly appealed to the government to give Ryanair what it was requesting as part of its package "not to jeopardise its operation" and disrupt the positive trends.
Mr Formosa Gauci was speaking during the launch of the BOV-MHRA hotel survey conducted by Deloitte, which saw all key performance indicators up for the second quarter.
Occupancy levels, average achieved room rates and, as a result, gross operating profits for every hotel category were the highest in the last six years, and tourist expenditure had also increased, the survey revealed.
Tourist arrivals had grown by six per cent in the second quarter (6.4 per cent from January to June) and, at just under 502,000, arrivals for the first six months reached the highest level in the last six years.
Mr Formosa Gauci described the results as "very encouraging" and a confirmation that the collective efforts of the industry's stakeholders were paying off.
Source: The Times of Malta

Wiggly Bob
14th Sep 2007, 10:51
The sea routes will be there for freight regardless of how many people fly Ryanair or "A N Other" airlines, might as well make some money from them.

larshakan
17th Sep 2007, 08:50
Will Fr be returning to EBU with PIK flights? It is anyhow to be found under Find lowest fares"... Any1 knows more?

Charlie Roy
17th Sep 2007, 09:01
Prestwick to St. Etienne is only available on September 29th and 30th for a sporting event.

ESCNI
17th Sep 2007, 12:26
Presumably, it's the rugby...

Scotland v Italy

29 September 2007 - 21:00, Stade Geoffroy-Guichard, St Etienne

Category 5
18th Sep 2007, 16:12
In an ideal world Ryanair would launch the following routes....

Inverness - Stansted

Stansted - Tenerife South

Any new routes you would like to see?

ryan2000
18th Sep 2007, 16:53
Ryanair set to announce ORK-PIK and ORK-EMA as part of an expansion from the airport on the hill. Official announcement expected tomorrow.

honest man
19th Sep 2007, 02:38
Excellent news if true hopefully will be commenting on it later

thepeacock
19th Sep 2007, 06:11
Low-cost airfares will only get cheaper in the coming years, budget carrier Ryanair Holdings PLC forecast Tuesday, predicting a 5 percent to 10 percent drop in its own average fare price this year.
Ryanair Chief Operating Officer Michael Cawley also dismissed comments from his own Chief Executive Michael O'Leary that the airline was considering a long-haul service, saying that would happen "not now and maybe not ever."
Cawley said that fares had to come down further for the budget airline to continue to grow.
"Our average fares are set to drop between 5 to 10 percent this year," he said in a speech at the annual World Low Cost Airlines Congress. Fares could drop by another 5 percent next year, he added.
Irish Ryanair, which has its major hub at Stansted Airport in London, is Europe's largest budget airline by passengers carried and has the lowest cost base among its rivals.

Cawley said the airline had wanted to emulate the success of Southwest Airlines Co. in the United States, saying that both the regulatory climate and the travel opportunities were more beneficial for growth in Europe.
"Who wants to go to Boise, Idaho, when you can go to Krakow, to Prague," he said. "The midweek break market, or even the weekend break market, doesn't exist in the United States."
Ryanair already flies to 150 airports around Europe and Cawley said the carrier was in talks with 150 more, pointing out that it still does not fly to six EU countries.
Cawley also said that Ryanair retained some hope that it could eventually succeed in buying Aer Lingus Group PLC, the Irish rival in which it has built a 29.4 percent stake after failing to close a hostile takeover bid.
Ryanair is now Aer Lingus' biggest shareholder, ahead of the Irish government with just over 25.3 percent, and has begun to try to enforce change at the carrier.
Aer Lingus on Monday rejected Ryanair's calls for an extraordinary general meeting for shareholders to vote on plans to retain its route from Shannon in western Ireland to London Heathrow.
"Aer Lingus have wonderful opportunities if we could get our hands on it," said Cawley.
However, he rejected suggestions by O'Leary that Ryanair is considering launching a separate airline that would fly long-haul between Europe and the United States around the turn of the decade.
O'Leary told trade magazine Flight International in April — shortly after the European Union approved an aviation deal with the United States to open up the restricted routes to new rivals — that the new airline could fly to five or six U.S. cities from European bases and offer one-way fares as low as US$12 (€8.94).
Cawley put those comments down to the maverick nature of the Ryanair CEO, saying that high aircraft prices ruled out long-haul services.

JulietNovemberPapa
19th Sep 2007, 07:25
"Cawley said the airline had wanted to emulate the success of Southwest Airlines Co."

Well, Ryanair now generates more net profit than Southwest.

19th Sep 2007, 08:35
Ryan2000->Any idea if those would use PIK and EMA based aircraft or would there be a DUB or LGW dropped from Cork to accommodate?

JulietNovemberPapa
19th Sep 2007, 10:06
No definite answer yet, but almost certainly operated by EMA- and PIK-based 73Hs.

19th Sep 2007, 10:13
Operated by EMA and PIK based aircraft.

PIK is daily, EMA is 5x weekly (no wednesday or saturday service).

honest man
19th Sep 2007, 13:57
Superb news even better than i expected didnt think it would be daily to start

airhumberside
19th Sep 2007, 14:01
Also Malta-Treviso

sunday8pm
19th Sep 2007, 18:21
With flyglobespan pulling out of Stansted completely, there is no scheduled route from STN to Tenerife. I used this route regularly and it was always busy. With Ryanair already flying there from various airports surely its only a matter of time? Or maybe Easyjet will start flying there? I hope someone does else i'll have to use Gatwick to visit my parents.

Charlie Roy
20th Sep 2007, 10:47
Ryanair will further expand its Shannon base due to current strong forward bookings. Ryanair’s services will almost double on Shannon – London from 4 to 7 flights daily with services from Shannon to Gatwick, Luton and Stansted, where Shannon passengers can connect to more destinations than they presently can from Heathrow. Ryanair intends to double its Shannon-Paris services to a twice daily flight next Summer, and Ryanair is now in negotiations with Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to see if a viable cost base can be agreed to allow a low fare Shannon-Amsterdam route to be launched. This Winter Ryanair will operate more than 40 daily flights to/from Shannon, connecting Shannon to 30 European destinations. If Aer Lingus is determined to abandon Shannon and the West of Ireland then Ryanair will add more flights and more low fares.

And there was I thinking that Shannon was their worst performing base :cool:

Ryanair at Amsterdam Schipol? That would be a very interesting development!!

Sanjo
20th Sep 2007, 11:21
the Dutch have announced a 11.25 euros eco tax to come in from July 2008. i bet Ryanair is not going to like that too much!!

Jippie
20th Sep 2007, 11:32
the Dutch have announced a 11.25 euros eco tax to come in from July 2008. i bet Ryanair is not going to like that too much!!
Well, it's a plan from the government but it is getting loads of resistance here. The organisation of travel agencies has said they will take it to court as they think it is unlawful. So it's far from sure if it will ever become reality. We can only hope it doesn't.

McDuff
20th Sep 2007, 15:30
I won't fly RhineAir again EI-BUD. They lost baggage and nearly made me late with their poor checkin procedures a few years ago. Add to that the aggressive nature of their management and they are what is worst about modern airlines to me. If I wanted to fly cheaply, I might fly EZY again, although I never manage to get the cheap flights (:-(), but RhineAir is just ghastly.

Now Türk Hava Yollari (Turkish Airlines) are just the business for me at the moment. I have flown 4 trips with them in the last 2 weeks, 2 longish (STN-IST), 2 short (IST-DLM) and they were great. Nearly as cheap as the ghastly RA, but with decent check-in, decent food and drink, friendly staff and 4 safe landings. Mind you, the app to IST at night was a bit bendy, and I was not too sure about darting through the cloud gaps just north of DLM just above the mountains ...

McD

JulietNovemberPapa
20th Sep 2007, 17:14
Ryanair at Amsterdam Schipol? That would be a very interesting development!!

Not really: they have a base at MAD. And AMS has its own discount airline pier.

Charlie Roy
20th Sep 2007, 19:30
RTE:
Mr O'Leary also said Ryanair was in discussions with five countries - former Soviet republics or North African states outside Morocco - about new routes.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0920/ryanair.html

JulietNovemberPapa
20th Sep 2007, 19:36
FR will always be in talks with airports. Whether such talks amount to anything is what matters. Of course, that article is interesting because it concerns unusual countries. But will it amount to anything in the next few years? Who knows?

cesare.caldi
20th Sep 2007, 21:18
The states of former Soviet republics or North African outside Morocco are not in Europe so there isn't open sky and Ryanair can eventually flight here only from Ireland.

21st Sep 2007, 08:40
I understand Turkey and Tunisia are two of the countries.

As for the others, I can't see Ryanair starting to Algeria or Libya. Most former Soviet republics are either in the EU or too far east for Ryanair, so that leaves Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and Moldova. You can probably rule out Belarus. So, pick three of Egypt, Russia, Ukraine and Moldova.

I had heard Israel mentioned as a possible, but can't see it personally, considering the extra security on Israeli flights and what that could do to costs and turnaround times.

cesare.caldi->These are dependent on those countries agreeing to open skies with the EU.

eu01
21st Sep 2007, 11:42
Russia with its vast population and many attractions should certainly be considered as a "promised land" for a further expansion. However, unless successful in acquiring Aer Lingus, Ryanair cannot at present easily grow in non-EU Eastern Europe (and I don't believe Russia and its satellites were going to join open skies any time soon). It doesn't mean FR shouldn't plan to conquer these markets at all, they just have to look for a "backdoor" access.

I can recall reading in this forum about (former or still existent perhaps?) plans to use the airport in eastern Finland as a gate to St. Petersburg, Russia (with a bus connection to the town). It would make sense to me. Using the airport located 10 km or so from the EU-Russia border pretty close to St. Petersburg would leave all the beaurocracy outside of the carrier's trouble and would make waiting for open skies agreement with Russia unnecessary for them on this route. Otherwise I do not see how FR could enjoy any significant chunk of this big cake (meaning the population of former USSR and its tourist attractions).

SOTV
21st Sep 2007, 12:07
Is there any more news on FR pulling out of Almeria? There is no booking facility after 27/10 but that just may be the end of the season.

Shame if it is, I have used it before and I am again 15/10, loadings seemed quite healthy and I always tend to fly on the most unpopular days.

:ugh:

Rob Courtney
21st Sep 2007, 20:32
Im sure I read somewhere that Ryanair were looking at the Liverpool-Charleroi again. Did anything come of this as Stansted is a hell of a long drive and anything out of Manchester is too damm expensive when there are 4 of you

Rob

JulietNovemberPapa
22nd Sep 2007, 12:15
New Sat-only ski route starting 22nd Dec GSE-SZG-GSE using a STN-based 73H routing STN-SZG-GSE-SZG-STN. Means that GSE now has 10 FR routes and SZG 7.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
28th Sep 2007, 18:42
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-limac0928,0,3837905.story?coll=ny_home_rail_headlines

JulietNovemberPapa
29th Sep 2007, 10:55
Ryanair said a few months ago that it was looking at establishing a completely separate airline - Ryanair itself wouldn't operate the flights - to begin low-cost, long-haul flights from the USA to European destinations. It stated that this wouldn't occur for 3-5 years, and would probably use 787s. Clearly that time period has changed. As always there's very little information, so we'll just have to wait and see.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
29th Sep 2007, 11:16
I wonder if Ryanair themselfs are thinking of this route
as a feeder route to all European bases using 737-800s.
The leg room is not that bad, I for one would look
forward to even £100 rtn special offers.
The lower fares to the US east coast is about £470 rtn inc tax
on other transatlantic carriers so it might bring on a price war
but your right its just a case of wait and see.

JulietNovemberPapa
29th Sep 2007, 12:30
They have clearly stated that any long-haul airline would be operated completely separately from themselves. And I, for one, don't think that will change.

The lower fares to the US east coast is about £470 rtn inc tax

Only those kind of prices during the all-important summer, when demand rockets and fares soar. During the winter, however, prices plummet; indeed, during those months it's possible to get London-NY-London including taxes for about £200.

I wonder if Ryanair themselfs are thinking of this route
as a feeder route

FR will never offer proper connections, with through ticketing, connecting baggage, increased responsibility, etc, not least because it results in greater complexity and reduced yields. But what would be possible would be to fly into one of their bases with the new, separate airline and to then connect manually: get your bag, go through immigration, then check in again. You can, of course, presently do this, and I have done it. It revolves around consumer responsibility: it's entirely your risk. It doesn't decrease airline simplicity or result in lower yield because you book flights separately. For example, if you were flying PIK-STN-SVQ you'd have to book PIK-STN and STN-SVQ separately. So, yes, you'd be able to manually connect from a long-haul flight to a European service.

dumdumbrain
2nd Oct 2007, 15:19
New base BVA ;)

cesare.caldi
2nd Oct 2007, 17:19
New base BVA It's only your opinion or do you have any rumors about this?

dumdumbrain
2nd Oct 2007, 19:04
Not my opinion, i was expecting Riga to be the next base, but something I found out today that BVA will be a base (not that I will be asking to join the transfer list).

Lee

Charlie Roy
2nd Oct 2007, 19:08
When can we expect a Beauvais base to be announced? (Nothing on the wires about it).

What routes can we expect?

dumdumbrain
2nd Oct 2007, 19:12
oooo its somewhere on the internet, on a Ryanair website, aint going to say where as i dont want to lose my job. But for those of you who are crew, im sure you will find it if you want to post a BS Query ;) *hint*

Routes I have no idea, but im sure it will do very well.

Lee

Cloud Bunny
2nd Oct 2007, 19:18
Heard nothing of this. Not on the list that was sent out, and whats a BS Query??

Jippie
2nd Oct 2007, 21:40
According to the presentation they had on the shareholders meeting they will open 1 new base(2 planes) this winter.

Charlie Roy
3rd Oct 2007, 21:27
Beauvais makes sense in the context of a new Easyjet base at CDG.

dumdumbrain
3rd Oct 2007, 23:27
pressman, that memo is over a week old, all crew have been found and placed now, many of them from PIK.

cougafer
4th Oct 2007, 15:34
I see FR have an offer for 0.01GBP incl taxes and charges on all routes from BHD, but whenever I try to book any of them, they all appear with taxes and charges, even though I've made sure the flights are included in the offer (black out periods, etc), anybody know why/ if/when these flights will be updated?
Poor student et al, almost-free-flights are a godsend!

thanks in advance.

JulietNovemberPapa
4th Oct 2007, 15:43
I see what you mean, Coug. I don't know why it's appearing - it was OK earlier - so I guess it's simply an error.

cougafer
4th Oct 2007, 15:50
with any luck theyll update it soon enough, and i'll be able to make my 2p trips to London and Liverpool :ok::ok:

JulietNovemberPapa
4th Oct 2007, 16:29
Just checked again and the 1p all-in fares are again appearing.

I booked quite a few 1p all-in flights the first time it appeared and the second time. Indeed, came back on Tuesday from SVQ - and I got STN-SVQ-STN for 2p all-in. This load is the third time, and it's a shame that so few routes are available. Never mind, perhaps next time.

jack_essex
4th Oct 2007, 16:36
I have just had a quick look and you can get lots of the 0.1p flights inc all taxes and charges (or not in this case). You just have to be very picky on the dates and times of the flights. For example, the morning STN - BHD flights seem to be all virtually free, where as most of the evening STN - BHD are all with taxes. They are on there you just have to look for them quite hard :-)

I also would have liked more STN routes available in this offer.

Charlie Roy
4th Oct 2007, 20:07
The last 2 Ryanair newsletters that I received had as a subject "Summer schedules now on sale", but then the content of the email was about the winter sale.

Meanwhile, I haven't found any routes with Summer 2008 flights on sale :confused:

owenkirk2005
4th Oct 2007, 20:41
east midlands is all on sale, thinks theres one or two routes still to put on but the majoritory is on sale. also i counted on a monday 6 departures early morning using based aircraft, that was in may next year.

FLYboh
6th Oct 2007, 16:10
On another forum an FR cabin crew has said that the next 3 bases will be EDI, RIX and BOH. Anyone else heard this?

JulietNovemberPapa
6th Oct 2007, 16:13
There's a never-ending argument about the next load of bases. Among those always featured are EDI (more recently), BOH, RIX, and BVA.

eu01
7th Oct 2007, 09:29
FR will never offer proper connections, with through ticketing, connecting baggage, increased responsibility, etc, not least because it results in greater complexity and reduced yields.
In principle, I agree. It's hard to imagine FR implementing connecting flights as is the case with the majority legacy airlines (and some LCC's as well). At least not at every airport in the Ryanair's network, not in the same way. However, one should not underestimate the vast potential markets that could be won simply by making just a few basic changes.

Can you tell the probability to get a direct connection of, say, Stockholm and Italian Pescara in a foreseeable future? Very low indeed. But some people are brave enough to take "self-responsibly" connecting flights, they hardly disappoint. You could, however, triple the number of passengers between these destinations just by selling them flights from start to the end on a single ticket, even if telling them to still pick-up luggages at the interchange airport. FR could even make some financial gains by, let's say, making the purchase of travel insurance obligatory on such a flights. I can envisage designating one or two centrally located bases (e.g. HHN and/or CRL) to be the exception (by providing connections) and carefully selecting some routes that could be SAFELY included in connecting flights. After all, FR knows well which connections are "safe" and the failure unlikely. There are many dots in the network that be connected (like Sweden/Finland/Poland/Hungary to Italy/France and Spain, for example). The load factors and yields could improve. And if you single out just one airport, you can be more flexible, can't you?

janus627
9th Oct 2007, 09:14
FR is playing a strange game with Infratil, the owner of PIK and LBC:

PIK get´s some new routes now, but now they torture Lubeck...
- Marseille disappears completely for the winter schedule officially
- Dublin disappears for the winter schedule officially
- London sized down to about 10 or 12 dept. per week for the winter...

and then next summer...

- London up to 19/21 again
- Marseille gone forever (?)
- Dublin back for two weeks from March 15 to March 31 and then also disappearing forever (?)

especially the last is strange. Why do they reanimate a route for two weeks to cut it down again? Especially strange, because Aer Lingus has cut it´s Hamburg-Dublin-Route from winter on, too - only because of FR´s price-war from two sides (Bremen and Lubeck).

Skipness One Echo
9th Oct 2007, 09:46
Actually growth at PIK is stagnant. The new routes are at the expense of cutting back on other services. No new aircraft in prospect at the mo alas.

AND on a slightly different topic if anyone knows when EI-CSC, the Cable and Wireless soon to be retired B738 is to be retired and if it's going up to Prestwick for work I'd be very greatful as I haven't had the chance to hammer it with my Nikon yet.....cheers

Voldermort
9th Oct 2007, 13:40
"The new routes are at the expense of cutting back on other services"
This has been the case for some time now at PIK but since the daily ORK service was announced the daily Belfast service has been switched to be operated with the BHD based a/c.Not earth shattering news I know but at least its a step in the right direction:D
As for the Blue one I will keep my eyes peeled :)

cesare.caldi
9th Oct 2007, 18:48
Some route change from BGY summer 2008:
BGY-HHN morning flights start to be operated by HHN based plane
BGY-PIK start to be operated by PIK based plane
so free space for new routes from BGY!

honest man
11th Oct 2007, 14:17
Looking at a random friday date for MAY08 at PIK from 2255-2330 theres arrivals from BGY,STN,RIX,BVA,MJV and NYO unless its a mistake that makes 6 aircraft so is there another one coming also MRS being operated by MRS machine

Charlie Roy
12th Oct 2007, 11:16
Pau, Bergerac and Béziers (NEW) announced.

Béziers essentially serves Cap d'Agde (French coastal naturist resort)

TRY2FLY
12th Oct 2007, 11:43
(French coastal naturist resort)

It will give MOL a nice scope for one of his highly imaginative advertisements / PR stunts. Oh no, now I have pictures in me head:{.........

OK, I'm off to JB

JulietNovemberPapa
12th Oct 2007, 16:42
From UK Airport News:

Ryanair sees winter passengers up 20 percent; Milan airport talks 'going nowhere'

"11.10.07
Ryanair (http://www.ryanair.com/)'s Chief Executive, Michael O'Leary, forecast today that demand during the winter season would be 20 percent greater than it was for the same period last year. He also said that talks on its proposal to fly out of Malpensa airport in northern Italy were proving unsuccessful.

Mr. O'Leary told a news conference: 'Demand in terms of passenger numbers will be strong. We expect it to grow by 20 percent over last winter.' In September the airline enjoyed (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/stansted-airport-news-041007.htm) passenger numbers up 23 percent on the same month last year.

On the Milan hub talks, he said: 'Two months ago [the talks on launching flights from Malpensa] were very positive and going very quickly. Now they are going nowhere.'"

eu01
12th Oct 2007, 18:23
Concerning its Ciampino base, FR is to appeal again:
Ryanair is to appeal against the decision of an Italian court to uphold flight cuts at Rome's Ciampino airport.
The low cost airline accused the Italian government of “unlawfully restricting the availability of low fares in the Rome market” to protect Alitalia and restricts consumer choice.
Claims made by the Italian Aviation Authority about night time noise are false, Ryanair said, adding that it does not operate any night time flights.
“These claims are utter fabrication and Ryanair calls on the European Commission to accelerate its investigation into this blatantly unlawful action by the Italian Government,” said the airline.

Seat62K
13th Oct 2007, 13:11
To return to an earlier theme, I suppose that one reason why ALC was chosen as a new base is that a large new terminal building is being constructed there and AENA, the operator, will have to fill it.
On a related matter, does anyone know why FR's STN-ALC schedule shows no availability for much of the early summer?

JulietNovemberPapa
14th Oct 2007, 12:42
Some news about FR and CIA:

An Italian court rejected a request by Ryanair to suspend planned flight cuts at Ciampino, Rome's smaller airport, yesterday. The move is aimed at protecting national carrier Alitalia, the budget airline claims.

The airline had filed a lawsuit against Italy's aviation authority ENAC over a plan to reduce the number of flights out of Ciampino airport to 100 from 138 daily from November 1, after complaints from residents of congestion and high noise levels.

Ryanair, which has also asked the European Commission to intervene in the row, says military aircraft, rather than its flights, are to blame for the noise at night. It has also dismissed ENAC's claim that runway repairs are also a reason for the cuts, adding that restricting flights at Ciampino airport is 'unjustified'' and illegal.

The TAR regional administrative court said there were not enough elements to support Ryanair's request for a temporary injunction against the cuts while the court decides separately on the merits of the case. The date for a final decision, which could still be in Ryanair's favour, has not been set.

The planned traffic cut will force Ryanair to cancel 66 flights a week, or about 12% of its flights out of Ciampino. The Irish budget airline said in a statement it would appeal Friday's ruling.

Ryanair Chief Executive, Michael O'Leary, said in a statement: 'The TAR's failure to protect Italian consumers from this abuse of European and Italian law is very disappointing.'

'The imposition of these bogus restrictions by the Italian government will force Roman consumers to pay the higher fares charged by Alitalia, while causing significant damage to tourism in Rome.'

JulietNovemberPapa
14th Oct 2007, 12:44
Some news re. proposed long-haul airline:

Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary outlined further plans for Ryanair's potential long-haul spin-off, which he said he's considering calling 'something sexy like O'Leary Air or Ego Air' yesterday. He first mooted the idea months ago and has referred to it as a project for his retirement, but he said talks are already active with airports in the US.

Mr. O'Leary told a London press conference that although 18 airports had expressed an interest in doing business with O'Leary Air / Ego Air, with airports in the Middle East also reported to be interested, the plans would only come to fruition if the prices for long haul planes dropped by between 30 to 40 percent.

He added that the airline would be run by a completely separate company to Ryanair and would target secondary airports, just as Ryanair does in Europe. He said: 'At New York it would be Newark or Islip, it certainly wouldn't be JFK.' About 80 percent of the seats would be economy with 20 percent of its seats as a premium class, which ' they won't get for 10 bucks.'

However, Mr. O'Leary said that the venture is still years away, adding: 'It won't happen if there's isn't a downturn in the plane market over the next five years.' He said he believes that jet prices could start to fall in the next six months or so but no serious discussions are taking place with Boeing or Airbus.

Ryanair famously placed a huge order for 100 single aisle Boeing 737-800 airplanes just months after the terrorist attacks against the US on 9/11 to take advantage of falling airplane prices. It is one of the factors that has allowed Europe's biggest budget airline to keep its costs low and consistently undercut its rivals on ticket prices.

eu01
14th Oct 2007, 14:45
During the press conference in Italy, MOL has also expressed his views concerning new FR bases. "All depends on Malpensa, said O'Leary. "Originally we aimed to open yet two bases in Europe this winter, outside of Italy. We can still wait a bit and postpone the plan [to start those 2 bases], but if the agreement with Malpensa would not come true (and the chances decrease at the moment), we'll open them soon."

eu01
15th Oct 2007, 08:49
And in Ireland, you are going to have an old/new 'DUMP' authority...
(BizWorld)
Michael O'Leary, chief executive of Ryanair, has rounded on the Department of Transport, calling for its closure or renaming to 'Department for Useless Monopoly Protection' (DUMP).

BigT2207
15th Oct 2007, 09:14
Michael O'Leary likes to rename things Like destinations and airports which are not even in the same country ie Bratislava (Slovakia) as Vienna (Austria), As well as many others which are nowhere near the named advertised destination.

Big T

dumdumbrain
15th Oct 2007, 10:30
BTS is only some 40miles from Vienna, how far is STN, LTN from the City of London? Pax know how far the airport is from the city, when you book your hotel ect, can't be doing too bad with 50m pax this year.

Anyway if you look on one of my BTS flights from EMA it's about 70% of who are from the BTS and the rest just on a cheap piss up, and not many of them are that interested in the culture of Vienna other than just a cheap day trip up the river. (Good spenders though, all good for my commision :E)

Lee

15th Oct 2007, 10:37
It's true that it's not all that far, but if you happen to have a visa to get into Austria, but not one that will get you into Slovakia, it could be a bit of an issue. Slovakia isn't in Schengen yet.

eu01
15th Oct 2007, 13:24
Slovakia will join very soon Slovakia's expected entrance into Schengen on January 1, 2008.

According to the memorandum, if all the required conditions are met, all ground border checks would be abolished by the end of December this year, and the air border checks by March 2008 at the latest.

After Slovakia has joined Schengen zone, all checks at internal EU borders will be abolished.

johnref
15th Oct 2007, 14:15
Interesting to see all the Ryanair billboard ads across Northern Ireland highlighting their new routes from BHD.

However - why does Derry seem to be coming down with them - and not one of them mentioned the same routes are available from City Of Derry (8 miles away)?

Hollymead
18th Oct 2007, 12:53
Glum faces at Swissport .http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/region_wide/2007/10/18/8f4fd963-7577-439f-bdef-89468a20b50e.lpf

RAT 5
19th Oct 2007, 17:03
I'm confused. Reading the article it says RYR are grounding 7 a/c and thus reducing its schedule out of STN. I hear it is also moving 1 a/c out of HHN. Are there other cutbacks at other bases? But the confusion stems from the fact that RYR is taking delivery of 'loads of a/c' during the winter months, and training loads of pilots. I know that it costs them nothing as the pilots pay their own costs and RYR even makes a profit from their training, but even so.....?????

k1mmie
28th Oct 2007, 11:09
I am confused about the posting regarding redundancies at Stanstead through Swissport. Although I am not sure if this purely cabin crew related, I must add that I recently attended an assessment day through Swissport. At this day they mentioned they were recruiting for Ryanair and now Easyjet PSA. There were quite a few Ryanair cc applying for ground also. I was told they had been recruiting for 2 months now for the diffferent airlines, and they were holding several sessions a week. So it seems that once again one hand does not know what the other is doing, or there appears to be a large hole predominantly in PSA.

EI-BUD
28th Oct 2007, 23:54
Hello all,
Does anyone know when the based BHD FR aircraft will arrive? I expect tomorrow sometime in preparation for Tuesday. Does anyone know where it will arrive in from ie DUB or STN or where. Would be nice to know if anyone has any info ...

Tower Ranger
29th Oct 2007, 08:42
It will arrive this evening in preparation for tomorrows 06.30 departure from whence I don`t know.
It`s gonnal be an interesting week as the city is already creeking at the seams. I`m sure it will be great pr if a Ryanair has to hold on the ground for 20mins before it gets a stand!! Let the fun begin!!

dwlpl
29th Oct 2007, 09:41
It will arrive this evening in preparation for tomorrows 06.30 departure from whence I don`t know.

FR1P due at Belfast City at 1735 from Dublin.

OliWW
29th Oct 2007, 10:13
Will it be there latest aircraft EI-DWK?

Or will it just be a middle aged aircraft so the new aircraft is in Dublin, I know they normally do that!

EGAC_Ramper
29th Oct 2007, 12:17
The Ryanair aircraft are never permanently based at one airport and frequently get moved around. Be nice to see brand spanking new toy but hey....I prefer one thats been broken inn a bit :ok:
Tower Ranger
Alas my roster has changed so I won't be in BHD this week .....oh well theres always next week.

eu01
31st Oct 2007, 20:55
After ENAC (Italian civil aviation authority) decided to cut the number of low cost flights from Ciampino Airport, Ryanair has mounted the legal challenge against these plans. First round (earlier this month) was a defeat, as the local court of Lazio turned FR down. Next round however brought them better results. The appeal to state council, Italy's highest administrative court, has resulted in suspending curbs on flights at CIA, meeting a demand from Ryanair.

The state council has made the decision today and will make its detailed ruling available on Nov 6.

mikerawsonderby
1st Nov 2007, 19:09
Just looked at booking summer holiday flights from EMA to ORK and found that Ryanair now charge £2 per passenger per flight for credit card 'handling fees'! For us that's a 24 quid charge for a single credit card transaction - how's that for an unfair passenger tax?!

Okay it's still relatively cheap at £67 return per person, but what with each of us paying our credit card tax and our wheelchair tax and our suitcase tax and our checking in tax, this now adds £51 return per person to the '£16' return flight.

mikerawsonderby
1st Nov 2007, 20:22
I think you'll find that I admitted that £67 was still cheap. I was just trying to point out that Ryanair can't have it both ways, they shouldn't complain about unfair government taxes, and then add their own unfair charges. Most of the £51 extra is not government imposed. There is no defence in charging £4 per person (return) in credit card fees, that is a personal passenger tax - a credit card transaction doesn't care how many passengers are included.

In Ryanair's words: "To defray the substantial administration costs we incur when processing credit and debit cards or ELV direct debits a handling fee applies to each passenger per flight segment." This is not a credit card charge, it is a booking fee.

Perhaps I'll wait until the next bunch of 'free' flights becomes available, because a total flight price of £402 is beyond my budget (RR don't pay me enough).

To clarify, G-FLYB is not a Moderator in this forum. Apologies for the confusion.

The AA&R Mods

Crusher1
1st Nov 2007, 22:52
It's true Ryanair seem to stick on charges that are hard, if not impossible, to avoid, however their flights are still very cheap if you avoid the obvious pitfalls of taking overweight baggage etc.

Certainly without the likes of FR we would still be paying hundreds, rather than tens of pounds, for the same flight.

ESCNI
2nd Nov 2007, 14:35
Is it true that online check-ins are not available from Belfast City?

:ooh:

pee
2nd Nov 2007, 14:51
The Finnish State rejected today the EU-commission's accusations of unlawful state aid to Ryanair concerning its operations at Tampere Pirkkala airport.

In July 2007 the European Commission has started an investigation concerning the alleged State aid involving Ryanair at Tampere-Pirkkala Airport. The Finnish Ministerial Commission has totally rejected these allegations and affirms that there has not been any kind of violation of the EU rules. The main features are:

there was no state aid at all given to Ryanair
even if state aid were involved, it would comply with the acceptable competition rules [as the costs structure does]
there were no financial losses to the State nor any alleviations to the airport managing company, the Finnish Commission did not discover any cross-subsidies concerning these activities
the charges paid by Ryanair match the costs involved and do generate profits for the airport
the costs involved in the refurbishment a freight terminal into one suitable for low-cost passenger service operations were minimal and the low-cost terminal standard is much lower than in Terminal 1, hence the gradation of charges is justified.

Here you can find the link to the original full text in Finnish (http://www.valtioneuvosto.fi/tiedostot/julkinen/eu-briefit/2007/20071102/tampere-pirkkala.pdf).

As a short comment to the issue. All that fuss has been caused by SAS on the behalf of its subsidiary Blue1. They didn't even intend to use the Terminal 2 in TMP (offered to them as well) because of its very low standards, much lower than their own requirements. But yes, they wanted Ryanair to pay the same charges that SAS and Blue1 are paying for the high-standard Terminal One. In my opinion many competitors blame Ryanair for every single price-deal they get, being unable to stick to the low-cost rules themselves. By the way, the European Commission's involvement in the "do-it-yourself" refurbishment of a trivial miniature rathole, a shanty being still unworthy to call it a "terminal" is just ridiculous, don't you think?

JulietNovemberPapa
5th Nov 2007, 15:33
Here you go...

RYANAIR’S HALF YEAR PROFITS RISE 24% TO RECORD €408M

Ryanair, Europe’s largest international airline, today (5 November) announced record half year after tax profits of €408m, a 24% increase over last year. Traffic grew by 20% to 26.6m and yields fell by 1% as revenues rose by 24% to €1,554m. Unit costs increased by 5%, mainly due to higher fuel, staff, and airport costs. Despite these higher costs, Ryanair maintained an industry leading after tax margin of 26%.

Summary Table of Results (IFRS) - in Euro

Half Year ResultsSep 30, 2006Sep 30, 2007% IncreasePassengers22.1m26.6m20%Revenue€1,256m€1,554m24%Profi t after Tax€329m€408m24%Basic EPS(EuroCents) 21.3326.6125%

Announcing these results Ryanair’s CEO, Michael O'Leary, said:

“These record profits reflect a 20% growth in passenger volumes, a 1% decline in yields, and strong ancillary growth. Ancillary revenues grew by 54% to €252m, due to improved penetration of car hire, hotels, travel insurance, as well as strong onboard sales and excess baggage revenues. Ancillaries now account for just over 16% of total revenues as we make steady progress towards our 20% target. Our inflight mobile phone service will be tested on 25 aircraft before the end of March 2008 which will allow passengers to make and receive calls and texts on their mobile phones and blackberrys.

Unit costs rose by 5%, slightly lower than expected, due to the higher oil prices, doubling of airport charges at Stansted as well as significantly higher charges for portacabin facilities at the Dublin airport monopoly. Staff costs rose by 29% to €146.3m due to volume growth, an employee share option charge of €9.1m, and increased cabin crew ratios. We continue to aggressively tackle costs and anticipate that unit costs for the remainder of the year will grow by 5%, slightly lower than previously guided.

The UK Competition Commission’s investigation of the BAA monopoly clearly confirmed that they are responsible for the abysmal service and long security queues which passengers are suffering at Stansted airport. This report also highlighted the negative impact of the BAA’s monopoly ownership of the main London airports which has resulted in excessive charges and retarded their development. We believe that the BAA’s abusive monopoly should be broken up, urgently, if the best interests of consumers are to be realised. Competition works – airport monopolies don’t. The CAA has repeatedly failed to effectively regulate this monopoly which is why it continues to provide third world service levels, at extortionate prices, especially at Stansted, where users’ requirements are repeatedly ignored by an airport which plans to waste £4bn building a gold plated second terminal and runway when these facilities should be provided at less than one quarter of this cost.

Our new routes and bases have performed well over the summer. This winter we will open 4 new bases at Alicante and Valencia in Spain, Belfast City in Northern Ireland, and Bristol in England. We will also start over 130 new routes across Europe. Advance bookings on our new routes and bases are in line with our winter targets. We intend to announce a further 1 or possibly 2 bases in the coming weeks for launch during next summer’s schedule.

We have recently concluded direct negotiations and a new four year agreement with our Dublin based pilots which will significantly improve their pay and rosters and bring them in line with the better pay and benefits previously negotiated by pilots at our other Irish bases. Sadly, the failed attempts by the Irish Airline Pilots Union ("IALPA") to interfere in Ryanair’s direct negotiations with our pilots has cost each of our Dublin Captains over €80k each over the past 4 years. We are pleased that the Dublin pilots have finally recognised the abject failure of this IALPA led campaign and have returned to talking directly with us.

We have now launched our free web check-in/priority boarding facility for all passengers travelling with hand luggage which allows them to avoid airport queues and be amongst the first to board the aircraft. Passengers who do not avail of free web check-in/priority boarding will be charged £2/€3 for using airport check-in. As a further innovation all passengers can now purchase priority boarding online and at airport ticket desks.

These service enhancements have been well received by passengers resulting in the doubling of passengers using priority boarding/web check-in in the first month since its introduction.

Chancellor Alistair Darling’s plans to change the basis of UK APD in 2009 from a per passenger charge to a per flight charge fails to address the fundamental inequity of this travel tax scam. Aviation which accounts for less than 2% of EU CO2 emissions (just half the figure for marine transport), is not the cause of climate change and taxing it will not have any effect on this problem. Not one penny of the extra £1bn raised annually by this UK travel tax scam has been spent on environmental projects. Despite repeated requests, the UK Treasury refuses to confirm how this money will be spent. The reality is that this is just another government tax on passengers and we again call on the Chancellor to end this modern day highway robbery.

We have implemented our planned 20% reduction in Stansted aircraft numbers this winter due to the doubling of costs by the BAA monopoly. As a result we anticipate that full year passenger volumes will grow by approximately 19% to 50.5m. These capacity reductions will bring more stability to winter yields, reduce operating costs and eliminate losses on non profitable winter routes at Stansted.

Our outlook for the remainder of the fiscal year remains cautious as we have very little visibility beyond the next two months. Shareholders should note that the anticipated decline in Q3 yields will result in Net Profit being significantly lower than last years Q3 comparative which included a one off settlement arising from an early contract termination by our hotel partner. Based on our current Q3 forward bookings and the impact of Easter in Q4, we now anticipate that winter (H2) yields will be somewhat better than previously forecast with the expected yield declines being towards the lower end of the -5% to -10% range. As a result of these better winter yield forecasts and the costs savings which we continue to realise, we now believe that full year Net Profit will rise by 17.5% to approximately €470m, rather than the €440m previously guided.

During the last two months we undertook a series of share buy backs amounting to a total of 53.5m shares a cost of €267m. The shares cancelled represent approximately 3.5% of the company’s pre-existing issued share capital."

MUFC_fan
5th Nov 2007, 16:23
Would LOVE to see what BA brings in if they are able to make £600million profit and not have a higher profit margin than FR!

JulietNovemberPapa
5th Nov 2007, 16:27
One exciting part of the announcement was:

We intend to announce a further 1 or possibly 2 bases in the coming weeks

I'd love to see MXP as a base. Talks have been continuing, but will a base materalise? Hmm. It is, as always, a waiting game - but an exciting one.

Cloud Bunny
5th Nov 2007, 17:32
Fiver says that one of them is in the UK ;).

cesare.caldi
5th Nov 2007, 17:44
If Ryanair find a deal the new base will be MXP, if not will be replaced by two others base outside Italy.

Italian press report decision about a possible MXP base will be taken within one month

Budfrey27
5th Nov 2007, 18:18
ditto cloud bunny :ok:

elmdonlad
5th Nov 2007, 20:05
Cloud Bunny/Budfrey 27

Any clues on which part of UK they are looking at ? :ok:

JulietNovemberPapa
5th Nov 2007, 20:06
If Ryanair find a deal the new base will be MXP, if not will be replaced by two others base outside Italy.

Indeed. I read that in some article a few weeks ago.

As for potential UK bases:

EDI was mentioned a while back - but it did, as usual, go cold.

BOH's a long-standing rumour.

Always rumours, possibilities. But at least it's somewhat exciting to predict!

Patuta
5th Nov 2007, 20:08
Planeboys.de (http://planeboys.de/startseite/forecast/summer/forecast_ss_sxf.htm) knows about a new route: Frankfurt (HHN ) - Berlin (SXF) twice daily from March on.

Would be Ryanairs 1st domestic connection in Germany. Not yet confirmed though. Announcement maybe on Wednesday. Also rumors on hahn-infos.com about an FR base in Berlin.

Cloud Bunny
5th Nov 2007, 20:24
Well, I'm a bit shy now I've given it the bigg'n! :uhoh: Obviously things are always subject to last minute change within FR but from what I was told it's on the South Coast. Opening up in time for the summer season.
We shall, as they say, see.

ryan2000
5th Nov 2007, 21:15
It's surprising that Ryanair continue to have just one aircraft based at Cork given the fact that they now plan to operate 12 return flights a day from mid december. The pilots must be bored stiff from flying up to Dublin via Clonmel and Killiney.

MUFC_fan
5th Nov 2007, 21:29
Would like to see another Northern airport get a base - maybe EDI. Would LOVE to see FR jump into MAN and through EZY straight out of it!:}:}:} Obviously would never happen...

DONTTELLTHEPAX
5th Nov 2007, 21:29
what about (ISP) Long Island MacArthur Airport, Islip, NY, US :E.

JulietNovemberPapa
6th Nov 2007, 13:37
From a certain independent Irish newspaper.

"We're telling airports that we want to use as few of their facilities as is humanly possible…We're in the final stages of doing a deal with a kiosk provider and we're pretty confident that in the next few years you won't have Ryanair check-in desks at all, you'll just have kiosks,"

"Mr O'Leary stressed that kiosks -- automated ticket check-ins -- would carry the same price as staffed desks (€3), while online it would continue to be free."

STN and DUB will be the test airports. However, “Those cost savings in Dubiln, however, could be lower than anticipated as sources at the airport confirmed a "commercial charge" for kiosks will soon be introduced.”

Ryanair’s version of the kiosks will “include functions like hotel booking and car hire booking.”

JulietNovemberPapa
7th Nov 2007, 13:30
Here you go:

Ryanair has announced it will continue is policy of levying a charge for airport check-in and the carriage of hold baggage and will increase the current fees in place. In March this year the budget carrier began charging travellers to put suitcases in the hold, and a recent financial statement revealed that this policy has been lucrative.

Now, chief executive Michael O'Leary has confirmed that the check-in fee for those who do so at an airport desk, rather than online, will double from £2 to £4. At the current time passengers are charged £2 to check in at the airport, and £5 for the first bag to be put in the hold.

O'Leary told The Telegraph: "People complain we are charging for check-in, but people who use web check-in and only have carry-on luggage are getting even cheaper fares."

"The baggage charges and the check-in charges will rise. We will keep raising them until we can persuade the 40 to 45 per cent of passengers who travel with Ryanair for one or two days to bring just one carry-on bag."

ryansf
7th Nov 2007, 16:48
"The baggage charges and the check-in charges will rise. We will keep raising them until we can persuade the 40 to 45 per cent of passengers who travel with Ryanair for one or two days to bring just one carry-on bag."
So what happens for those people who want to go away for more than one or two days?! Penalising people who want to have a holiday... :*

fivejuliet
7th Nov 2007, 17:25
The pilots must be bored stiff from flying up to Dublin via Clonmel and Killiney

ryan2000

Perhaps you should make a suggestion to Ryanair operations that pilots be allowed choose a more adventurous routing :cool::cool:
They operate the LGW flight also, btw.

JulietNovemberPapa
7th Nov 2007, 18:43
So what happens for those people who want to go away for more than one or two days?! Penalising people who want to have a holiday...

Not really: my friend, his wife, and their two children (aged 9 and 12) went away recently with FR for a week. They only took two checked bags and managed fine. The checked baggage fees made them consider what they might pack, and they decided to take less and thus pay less. There was no ill-effect; indeed, they said upon their return that if they go away for a few days they'll try just to take hand luggage. Makes sense: less stuff for them to carry and to worry about, and they'll pay less.

EC-ILS
7th Nov 2007, 19:56
Most of the crews operating FR flights from ORK are based elsewhere, they come in and spend a few days working the ORK routes and the head home.

I flew DUB-ORK-DUB today and came across LPL/STN and Scandinavian based crews.

janus627
7th Nov 2007, 20:47
There´s one problem I think Ryr does not see:

Who rents a car for a long time? (And making Hertz paying high commisions to FR?)
Who goes to a hotel for a long time? (And making Expedia paying high commissions to FR?)
Who buys expensive food on board? Using Check In at the desk? Bringing Luggage?
And who are the persons who bring FR the only (and not to less money) they earn if they have more and more free tickets to give free at all to public?

Yeah, you all know who this is. Families with children on their long trip to Spain, Sweden, Italy, Canaries and so on.

And who does NOT bring FR any money?
Daytrippers, students, even business people. In Germany we have maybe 50.000 people who just travel for fun (and one, max 2-3 days!) and making FR about 250.000 - 500.000 flights every year. They just look, how they can get the cheapest flight and they book only the flight. They are the first, they pay nothing else to FR. The same with business people = They fly in the morning to STN, DUB, NYO, BRE and further business / party / In-cities, use public transport services or have their favorite car company (business people mostly have a contract!), staying at hostels, nightclubs or at the airport and do NOTHING FR expects them to do. FR does not get any money from them, only the 0,01 EUR they´ve paid for the tix.
The problem is: But ONLY those people are the people who can use FR´s cheapest prices without any charge, any fee, any fine.

Every other person, who is forced by FR´s fees, fines and charges to use either another airline or to leave home luggage and children will bring FR loads of money, because the "standard-tourist" is the only one who takes everything he can get from one place and he is also the only one who takes a Hertz Car for 14 days and an Expedia Hotel for also 14 days.

So FR - I don´t know what the expression is in english - "bites the hand it feeds them", the persons who pay and consume a lot over their website for their non aviation business...

I hope, anyone at FR reads this and go´s straight to MOL to tell him, that his idea maybe has a problem.

Any other opinions?

SOTV
8th Nov 2007, 06:42
Well, the value is still there. I booked the other night return seats from STN/LEI for four pax and the total price was £80, add on a hold bag each and the check in and it pushes each return fare up by about a tenner. £120 for 4 returns is still rather cheap.

15 kilos hold and 10 kilos cabin per pax is more than enough for a week away. FR are right to try and maximise revenue but perhaps MOL should try and be a little less disingenuous about it.

james170969
8th Nov 2007, 07:08
It wouldn't be quite so bad if you were allowed to use the web check in if you had luggage to check in also. At the moment if you have luggage to check in you have to pay the luggage charge and the airport check in charge too. I fail to see how MOL can go away for a fortnight with only a flightbag, unless he is constantly washing and ironing his clothes!

take-off
8th Nov 2007, 08:07
At some point in time , people will realise that there are other airlines out there, sure not many offer penny flights, but by time you add tax and every other charge, alot of the time, for a the average passenger, theres little difference, just takes a little time to search out on internet or phone, hey even try a travel agent(see what discounts being offered), I got cheaper flight to tenerife on BA than either Jet2 or ryanair, you just have to shop around. Ryanair have done a lot to bring cheaper airtravel to the public, but would seem they will charge for every single little thing, next itl be a charge for toilets, a £1 on board 50p to buy online, it'l happen:} But at end of day , all they are there for is to make money for the shareholders, as is what any business is there for , if its being succesfully run, and not being a ryanair fan , you cant argue with how well its doing.

call100
8th Nov 2007, 14:22
The bubble will burst eventually and MOL will be the prick that bursts it.:p

mikerawsonderby
8th Nov 2007, 19:39
MOL won't wash and iron his own clothes! He's already said that he buys a new hairdryer instead of packing one (how very green:rolleyes:), he's rich enough that he can do the same with clothes.

Ryanair has introduced cheap flying to a whole new audience, and they're probably banking (literally) on the fact that once people have 'done' DUB, MAD and CIA, then they'll be tempted by the ever more weird and wonderful destinations.

My potential trip to ORK has just gone up by another £24 (check-in tax), making it less likely that we'll fly. I'm suddenly feeling pessimistic about Ryanair's EMA expansion, given that most of the EMA routes are leisure/holiday, coupled with us east-midlanders having an eye for a bargain. However, the bargains are disappearing, and even though the flights (including all the add-ons) are still cheap compared to pre-Ryanair days, they're going to make us have second thoughts.

egnxema
8th Nov 2007, 22:20
just out of interest - how much would you flights currently cost, per person?

RAT 5
10th Nov 2007, 11:22
The real con is that the extra charge for check-in, baggage etc., goes to RYR not the check-in handling agent. These people are not RYR employees and have a handling contract rate. This, including the scam wheelchair/insurance levy, is another stealth tax worthy of any politician, even G.B. However, the bottom line is what pax are prepared to pay to travel. It is true, as I found from a friend who I met in AGP, that my cost of tripping down there with golfclubs and baggage via RYR, was the same as he paid on BA. As MOL has stated he will ignore some or all of the pax charter of refunds & compensation when the S$!t hits the fan and fligths are delayed/cancelled, it might not take so long for many to realise that the risk of travelling with LoCo's is not worth it. I have often found a major carrier to GVA is cheaper than ez, especially at last minute. Also with 4 flights a day there is flexibility and they allowed me to travel earlier on the day at no charge.
It is often the case that the total cost of a trip from the local major airport with the local major carrier is about the same as the bargain basement give away with a LoCo, after taking into account travelling time into the bundoo, parking, charges for everything etc. etc. For a small price differential the whole trip can be much more relaxing.
There is service out there with a free smile and no charge.

eu01
12th Nov 2007, 18:25
There are some rumours about MOL travelling to Poland (Krakow) and Slovakia (Bratislava) next Wednesday. Just a few route announcements or maybe a new base to be created somewhere? :rolleyes: Any hints?

Patuta
12th Nov 2007, 18:49
@RAT 5:
You are so right. But who made it possible? Isn't it the competition with the loco's which forces the legacy carriers to improve service and prices?
Nowadays in Germany Lufthansa offers cheaper flights than Air Berlin. But what would it be like without Air Berlin (EZ, FR)?
Yes, I fly Ryanair. I like them as no frillers. They don't pretend to be competitive. They are.

Charlie Roy
12th Nov 2007, 18:54
This article (http://www.cincodias.com/articulo/empresas/Ryanair/abrira/nuevas/bases/operativas/cubrir/programa/verano/2008/cdssec/20071107cdscdiemp_11/Tes/ in Spanish) says that Ryanair will soon announce 2 new bases, that will open in Summer 2008. Maybe they will indeed be Krakow and Bratislava then. Especially if he's going to the bother of flying over.

kubik
12th Nov 2007, 19:01
It may be possible, because Krakow's management had a meeting with FR some weeks ago. Keep on crossing your fingers ;)

eu01
13th Nov 2007, 05:34
Ryanair as an evil carrier exploiting poor local municipalities in order to get more money? It seems to be the opinion of some people about the way FR operates. Nevertheless there is much to gain as well, as this text from Malta suggests:
Tourism Minister Francis Zammit Dimech told Parliament this evening that tourist arrivals in October and the first 11 days of November had continued to grow on last year’s figures. Speaking during the debate on the Budget Measures Implimentation Bill, the minister said that according to the United Nations World Tourism Barometer, tourism in Malta was growing faster than anywhere else in the region. Growth reached 7.6 per cent between January and August compared to 6.7 per cent for southern Europe, which next showed the strongest growth. Dr Zammit Dimech said.
September saw an absolute record of tourist arrivals and performance in October and in the first 11 days of November were also very encouraging and positive. The November results, he said, were significant because they would be compared to performance in November 2006, when the tourism rebound had already started following the introduction of Ryanair flights. This, therefore, would be growth on growth.
The source: Times of Malta (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20071112/local/tourism-performance-continues-to-improve)

J32/41
13th Nov 2007, 11:48
Hi Guys

Just noticed yesterday that Ryanair seems to have stopped flying to Malmo from Stansted? Does anyone know why?

I used that service about once every 2 weeks, it will be a real pain if it's permanent. Seems strange as it was always pretty busy.

Anyone from Ryanair know anaything?

Thanks

VanBosh
13th Nov 2007, 13:59
Ryanair have withdrawn all routes to Malmo, as fee's were too dear

VanBosh
13th Nov 2007, 14:18
@ eu01,

Do you mean tomorrow or wednesday 21st?

If these are to be the new bases anyone care to speculate on the routes?

virginblue
13th Nov 2007, 14:29
If it is a consolation.... - as a replacement, Sterling will start MMX-LGW in march 08, once daily:

NB 157/158 MMX 1915 - 2015 LGW 2045 - 2315 MMX

dumdumbrain
13th Nov 2007, 14:32
BTS-LPL and BTS-PIK

Euroboy39
13th Nov 2007, 19:57
Fact or speculation on the BTS-LPL and BTS-PIK?

dumdumbrain
13th Nov 2007, 20:24
Speculation only sorry

eu01
14th Nov 2007, 11:28
@ eu01,
Do you mean tomorrow or wednesday 21st?
If these are to be the new bases anyone care to speculate on the routes?
Well, this is today, Wednesday 14th. MOL has already left Bratislava heading towards Krakow. The press conference in Bratislava wasn't very sensational. Shorlty a base in CE Europe will be announced, Bratislava has big chances, but also a second city - in Poland (so KRK supposedly) could be chosen. The base will NOT be created in Vienna, at least for the timebeing.

The FR boss has also said that SkyEurope would not survive more than 5 months.

eu01
14th Nov 2007, 12:24
And in Krakow... I still do not have any detailed relation, but as far as I know

MOL has joined the celebration of a milionth' passenger in Krakow
FR is satisfied with Poland and the base there will be announced in the first half of 2008
it will probably NOT be in Krakow at the moment (costs, costs, costs)
within two years Ryanair will be creating up to FOUR bases in Poland