PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24

MUFC_fan
11th Aug 2009, 09:13
This will SMASH Jet2's revenue on Jet2's key routes from LBA: FAO, PMI, AGP, MJV etc.

Is this a good move by the airport management?:confused:

build upon existing routes

Really? Will Ryanair AND Jet2 be able to live in harmony on these routes?

Mouser
11th Aug 2009, 09:25
Not good news for Manchester, Liverpool pulling from one side now Leeds pulling from the other.

Leodis
11th Aug 2009, 09:26
Both Jet2 and Ryanair will live in harmony at Leeds. At the moment well over 3m passengers from within the Leeds catchment area cross the Pennines to use services there. At last some choice from this side of the Pennines.

MUFC_fan
11th Aug 2009, 09:27
Not good at all! It's not like MAN has more flights to these destinations than any other airport in the UK bar LGW is it?:ok:

The destinations are mostly already served from LBA and LPL so I doubt it will make much of a difference to MAN loads!:ok:

ix_touring
11th Aug 2009, 11:33
Can't see any other posts with this story via search so here goes:

Well paid by who's standards? :suspect:

The Press Association: Ryanair announces base in Yorkshire (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5ggKAPT0vTIaW8dR49QungMhxPh7w)

iX

groundbum
11th Aug 2009, 11:36
this is great news for Leeds/Bradford, and I'm happy since I live 20 miles away and spent many summers there watching planes. I nearly had my head taken off by DanAir that was way too heavy and low for takeoff, plus I was stood on a cabinet of some kind at the fence.

But I don't get thousands of jobs created just because of 2 planes being based there! Also don't know what will happen to JET2, they might shift all their activity to Manchester?

G

airbusdiva
11th Aug 2009, 11:41
Don't think Jet2 need to be worried too much about Ryanair at LBA . Jet2 has a very loyal following there, even if Ryanair are going to pay people to go on their flights because that's probably what they'll have to do.
Sounds like desperation on Ryanair's part.

MUFC_fan
11th Aug 2009, 11:42
this is great news for Leeds/Bradford

Really? Can LBA sustain Ryanair and Jet2 on all those routes? When going head to head there is only going to be one winner. Obviously Ryanair won't have the same frequency as Jet2 which will help the Northern based carrier but if Ryanair push - then Jet2 will fall unfortunately.

But I don't get thousands of jobs created just because of 2 planes being based there!

Ryanair don't just quote how many DIRECT jobs they will create. By bringing in an extra 5-700,000 people every year they assume that for the economy as a whole in the area, it will create thousands of INDIRECT jobs but I would assume this would create at least 50 direct jobs at the airport for crew etc.?

Also don't know what will happen to JET2, they might shift all their activity to Manchester?

Took the words right out of my mouth. I don't think ALL activity would move but maybe a couple of aircraft?:confused:

Don't think Jet2 need to be worried too much about Ryanair at LBA.

There is A LOT for Jet2 to worry about - many of the routes Ryanair have announced are big money spinners for Jet2 and this new competition will reduce fares if not passenger numbers.

Jet2 has a very loyal following there, even if Ryanair are going to pay people to go on their flights because that's probably what they'll have to do.

1. Yes, Jet2 do have a great following from LBA and it is testament to what a great set up they have in the North of England, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
2. Ryanair never PAY people to fly with them but I think I understand where you are coming from in that they will charge less than it costs to actually operate. Here you are just telling the story of the foundations of Ryanair - most of their routes operate in the same way. They attract people by the name and extremely cheap INITIAL fares - then sting them with extras. Great business thinking on their part!

Sounds like desperation on Ryanair's part.

:confused: Ryanair? Desperation? I don't particularly like 'bigging up' Ryanair but I would hardly sat they are 'desperate.' LBA is another base for them to take over and reduce average fares massively. They have got to a stage now where they can go to airports such as LBA and demand what they want because they guarantee passengers - I think the last description of Ryanair would be 'desperate.'

take-off
11th Aug 2009, 12:08
I think when you look at the mainline airports ryanair serve, their flights prices are very much in line with other locos, its only the likes of places you've never heard of these days that you see the really cheap flights,you only ned to look at the website at the list of places in the ongoing promotions , rarely do you see the popular destinations going really cheap.

I doubt very much Jet2 will lie down and roll over just cause Ryanair have turned up on their home ground...

backtrack_32
11th Aug 2009, 12:10
But the easy days of jet 2 at LBA has now come to an end!

take-off
11th Aug 2009, 12:28
Im pretty sure , that what ever deal Fr have got to come to LBA, Ls will be looking to get equal or more favourable deal, People do have choice,thats the wonder of the internet:E THere will be pax the will try Fr and love them others will hate them, Im not a fan, but can say i did have a fairly reasonable flight with Fr last month, wouldnt not recommend them as i hadnt got any complaints, not over keen on the mountain of charges, but you do have to keep your wits about you not to get caught out on them when booking, not saying Ls are any better that way , but do think you have better chance getting to or from your destination should there be a problem with ls rather than fr.

OliWW
11th Aug 2009, 13:35
I would have believed it would be more likely Ryanair to stuggle at LBA over LS as its Jet2's home base, they have been flying out of there for years and years and have served the area very well. Passengers are now comfortable with flying Jet2 and this is showing in the destinations they have expanded to, and are trusting Jet2 to fly to Greece, Cyrpus and also New York last year. Ryanair will find it difficult to gain customers from LS on similar routes as they have only been operating a very small hand full of flights from LBA, I say good luck to them, but also carry on the hard work LS!! If LS want to survive at LBA they had better get some thoughts for expansion, with the airport being expanded soonish, they will need to be thinking about this now and hopefully FR wont do that they did to WW at BHX by knocking them away by 3/4 aircraft!!

Based
11th Aug 2009, 13:42
Three weeks after Ryanair announce an expansion freeze in the UK due to the "suicidal" APD tax they announce an...er.....um.....expansion in the UK.....? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

You're confused because you haven't taken time to read or understand what they meant by their 'expansion freeze in the UK'. Quoting yet again from Form 20F:

Ryanair announced its decision to temporarily freeze all growth at its existing U.K. bases from June 16, 2009 onwards. Ryanair plans to review the freeze of U.K. bases at the end of 2009; any changes in the announced policy will be dependent upon the recovery of the U.K. economy, the status of the U.K.’s APD tourist tax and any other relevant factors (such as airport growth incentives).

Leeds Bradford is a new base so still represents a growth opportunity, even with the existence of an APD.

Strange that it was on the front page of every newspaper when they announced they were cutting and running, yet ix_touring had to scour the internet to find an article telling us they were sneaking back in..... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cwm13.gif

That's the problem with a lot of the media these days, they love headlines but tend to neglect content.

Charlie Roy
11th Aug 2009, 14:16
It's a pity (in my opinion) that Ryanair's new Leeds base targets so many of Jet2's routes.
But I suppose all is fair in love and war and all that.

I wonder which were the other 2 UK airports that were in negotiations to become a base but lost out to Leeds.

FutureCC
11th Aug 2009, 14:26
I think the new aircraft which are going to be based at Leeds Bradford should bear the titles BYE BYE JET2!

Hopefully more of these titles will be used on other aircraft, particulary for BA! :):cool:

Excellent news, every other airline is cutting back and stopping expansion. And Ryanair comes and opens a base! Very good if you live close to Leeds Bradford!

Skipness One Echo
11th Aug 2009, 14:27
Passengers are now comfortable with flying Jet2 and this is showing in the destinations they have expanded to, and are trusting Jet2 to fly to Greece, Cyrpus and also New York last year.

Yup and if Ryanair is cheaper and it will be in the start up period, that all goes out of the window as time and time again too many people go on price alone. Think of Stansted and Buzz.

Centrefire
11th Aug 2009, 14:29
It won't be long before ASFKAP needs to type nothing at all, he can just copy it from previous posts!

Based
11th Aug 2009, 15:09
It's a pity (in my opinion) that Ryanair's new Leeds base targets so many of Jet2's routes.
But I suppose all is fair in love and war and all that.

I agree, although I suppose routes such as Palma, Malaga, Faro and the likes should shouldn't have too much trouble handling an extra operator, during the summer months at least! If anything it might be charters that suffer more.

righthandrule
11th Aug 2009, 16:19
Ryanair will have no effect on Jet2, this has been proven already with Ryanair's LBA-GRO/ALC routes. Jet2's LBA-BCN/ALC has seen no dip in passenger figures average load factors averaging 90%, often Jet2 carrying more pax on a 733 than Ryanair taking on a 738.

I think it is more likely that MAN will suffer due to Ryanair increasing the amount of options available at LBA. Interesting to see that Ryanair currently have no services on sale from either Doncaster or Teeside after October 2009. I fear these two may be the big loosers in the Ryanair base at Leeds.

LBA
11th Aug 2009, 16:29
I don't think that Jet2 have been carrying more on the BCN than FR on the GRO, the Ryanair loads on the GRO have been fantastic, nearly always 170+.

It's great news that FR are moving into LBA, will be interesting to see what happens with Jet2, they have cut back quite massively this winter and FR are obviously trying to capitalise!

Charlie Roy
11th Aug 2009, 16:30
Ryanair will have no effect on Jet2

I doubt that was the sentiment in JET2 head office today... :ouch:

LBA
11th Aug 2009, 16:51
I also doubt it was!

MUFC_fan
11th Aug 2009, 16:57
I think it is more likely that MAN will suffer due to Ryanair increasing the amount of options available at LBA. Interesting to see that Ryanair currently have no services on sale from either Doncaster or Teeside after October 2009. I fear these two may be the big loosers in the Ryanair base at Leeds.

MAN - an airport over 1 hour by road from LBA will suffer MORE than Jet2's routes from the SAME airport?!:rolleyes:Thats about right...

The DSA and MME cancellations were announced months ago. DUB has also gone yet could have been served from all three if economically viable.

pug
11th Aug 2009, 17:03
The DSA and MME cancellations were announced months ago

MME has not had their remaining routes operated over the winter period for some time. There has been no announcement regarding the future of FR's operations from DSA and MME except for the culling of the badly supported DUB flights. Will have to wait and see what will happen to the DSA to ALC and GRO flights as they are not yet on sale for this winter.

Todays announcement could be a huge blow for Peels two struggling airports, its hard to see which other airlines there could be to start a base up at either now.

righthandrule
11th Aug 2009, 17:42
MAN - an airport over 1 hour by road from LBA will suffer MORE than Jet2's routes from the SAME airport?!:rolleyes:Thats about right...

Yes, as I have just stated Ryanair have had no effect on Jet2's operations at LBA so far. Just as Mr O'Leary stated himself that LBA has not had a real airline offering very low fares people previously had to travel to Manchester, East Midlands or Prestwick to get the low fares. The whole point of this is to INCREASE passenger numbers at LBA....(MAN-ALC down 28% in june, LBA-ALC up 15%)

Jet2 has a revised flying programme for next summer, yes Ryanair have a competitive advantage price wise but can 2 FR 737's really compete with 12 LS aircraft? Quite simply no they can't. As stated already Ryanair's measly 3 flights a week to Alicante has had no effect on Jet2's 14 flights a week. The two will compete fiercely but the airport has the catchment and finally the operator to grow and take passengers away from MAN.

Skipness One Echo
11th Aug 2009, 17:49
Jet2 are a local airline flying some of the oldest B737s in the UK relying on their home base for a lot of their profitablily I'm sure. Ryanair are looking for homes for more B737-800s still at Boeing Field. So far so good.

Given the choice between Ryanair and Jet2 on the same route most will go with the cheapest. Loyalty often disappears where money is involved. Hence I am sure the opportunity is there to build the Ryanair presence up. Past history shows that the opposition is either trampled to death or dented badly and stabilises at a lower level of activity with a loyal following.

My money would be on Ryanair to try and kill Jet2 over time. Why? Because they can. Dart Group won't support losses over a long period at the airline in a cut throat trading environment with the most ruthless airline moving into their home turf. They're not coming to LBA to share, they're coming create a market and add Jet2s passengers to it.

but can 2 FR 737's really compete with 12 LS aircraft?
Yes, very much so. Route by route until two becomes three becomes four....

MUFC_fan
11th Aug 2009, 20:55
Skipness - music to my ears!

At least someone is thinking in real terms. Ryanair won't just put 2 aircraft in a major UK city. They will take Jet2 down bit by bit by bit until they have little left. The only airline in the UK that has the capabilities of withstanding the effects of Ryanair (so far!) is easyJet. Say Ryanair doesn't reduce Jet2's presence - it will certainly reduce average fares on competing routes and just look at what fares Jet2 have been charging this summer to AGP etc. - they won't be around like that next year!

As Skipness says, 2 will become 3 and then 4 and then who knows.

MAN-ALC down 28% in june, LBA-ALC up 15%

LBA: Ryanair add 1134 seats per week
MAN: XL disappear and the four largest charter carriers merge to become two. Add to that the massive increase in Egypt and Turkey from MAN opposed to ALC. Quite a stupid comparison to be perfectly honest. Until you can produce figures saying MAN is losing out to LBA (which I am sure a report a few months ago gave a ridiculously high figure of people travelling from Leeds area to MAN) then really it is a poor claim to make.

LPL has had some effect on MAN due to BOTH Ryanair and easyJet accounting for (I think) 16 based aircraft. There is a difference.

I do like Jet2 as an airline and I think they have done masses for the North, especially for my home airport at Blackpool but when it comes to the crunch - Ryanair are simply too big and if they set their sights on a carrier then they will bring them to their knees because they can undercut on prices and STILL make a profit. The destinations chosen do seem to show that they don't plan to live in harmony.

airbourne
11th Aug 2009, 21:46
[QUOTE] POSTED BY FUTURE CC

I think the new aircraft which are going to be based at Leeds Bradford should bear the titles BYE BYE JET2!

Hopefully more of these titles will be used on other aircraft, particulary for BA!

Excellent news, every other airline is cutting back and stopping expansion. And Ryanair comes and opens a base! Very good if you live close to Leeds Bradford![QUOTE]

Your lack of maturity is really starting to piss me off. Ryanair is not the be all and end all of life. It is a company that thousands work for, end of story. Why dont you go to the cabin crew forum and ask people what its really like to work from FR? Listen to the 12-14 hour day stories with no break and then come back and tell us what a great company they are.

Skipness One Echo
11th Aug 2009, 22:10
futurecc
Hopefully more of these titles will be used on other aircraft, particulary for BA!

Hey schoolboy, and I DO mean schoolboy. BA is the benchmark for terms and conditions for the UK market, if they go, thousands of good honest people lose their jobs and the rest of the industry is the poorer for it as the mass scramble for the few jobs going leaves a lot of experienced crew out of work.
If Jet2 go down, then thousands of hours of work to build up a viable local based airline are gone.

Now your school careers office may be so bad that your stated ambition in life is to work as a trolley dolley for Ryanair, coming home to base every night, but that is the lowest of the low. Just because you lack the skills to aim even a little higher than that, is no reason to wish to see other good companies fail and people's careers be destroyed.

I ask you seriously now to think before you open your gob because you are just an embarrasment at the minute. ( unless you really are a troll in which case you're just wierd )

derelicte
11th Aug 2009, 23:03
'BA is the benchmark for terms and conditions for the UK market, if they go, thousands of good honest people lose their jobs and the rest of the industry is the poorer for it as the mass scramble for the few jobs going leaves a lot of experienced crew out of work'

That's the endgame I think...do you see any other ultimate outcome? There is no brand loyalty in flying now, only cost.

geordiejet
12th Aug 2009, 07:25
Future CC - Whilst I don't think the BA approach to Tc and Cs is the most efficient way to run a business - which will need to change if they want to emerge as a stronger business (but that's another topic), I would hate to see anything happen to them. They've got LHR and they're very suited to what they do there.

I'm not having a dig at you but you would soon get sick of of working for FR. I was close to being taken in by the CC "scheme" their agencies operate. Paying £2000 for your training, staying in a London (or Dublin) hotel for 6 weeks at your own expense, paying several hundred Pounds for your uniform. Then there is the £960 wages you will clear on a good month (if you choose not to pay for your course up front) and the fact that you could be posted anywhere in Europe at your own expense. And then there are numerous news articles on the cabin crew conditions - but I'll leave you to Google those. If you are set on becoming CC, then keep your options open, and maybe look at FR as an expensive way to get into the industry.

Don't be fooled, FR coming to town and trying to put everyone else out of business is bad news for the consumer and crew alike.

stormin norman
12th Aug 2009, 08:10
Cost maybe a factor for some but i like to know what i'm paying for.

I like to speak to cabin crew who have a command of the English language and know what their doing if things went wrong.

I like to look forward to my flight knowing that if the flight is affected in any way the company will do its utmost to get me to destination.

When MOL tells me if you pay low fares you get low low service- i believe him.

Centrefire
12th Aug 2009, 08:58
Quote:

I like to speak to cabin crew who have a command of the English language and know what their doing if things went wrong.

Bloody hell, Stormin, don't criticise someone's English and then write 'their'. (and 'went')

757flyer
12th Aug 2009, 08:58
Nothing to worry about.............with FR reputation for poor service and customer care this will be storm at LBA! Once a few diversions have happened ........or you cant drop your bag off and the aircraft leave without you and FR say "tuff ****...rebook" (at inflated prices) the good folk of yorkshire will soon vote with their feet.

This will prove to be similar to the runaway success FR have had at BOH.

People are waking up to rip off Ryanair and their appauling attitude to customers.

tonker
12th Aug 2009, 09:04
Would Jet2 be aloud to open a base in Dublin? And if not why not.

pee
12th Aug 2009, 09:06
It might be unfair to associate the fluency in English with the crew's acqired knowledge "what to do if things went wrong".

Anyhow, it seems that a significant per cent of all FR crews have their roots in C-E Europe. While we could discuss if the command of English language should always and everywhere be better than German, French, Italian or Russian... there is one thing I've been wondering regardless of that.
Serving so many destinations east of Berlin FR do not have a single base in Poland (like KRK?), Czechia/Slovakia (like BTS?), Hungary. From Ryanair's point of view employing its crews on, say, Polish or Bulgarian contract could be even cheaper for them. It still didn't happen. Why?

johnref
12th Aug 2009, 09:37
Jet2 have no scheduled flights in Dublin - but prob pick up adhoc and even some regular charters.

FutureCC
12th Aug 2009, 09:46
It seems some people find the BYE BYE JET2 comment a little... upsetting. Well I'm sorry, but if Jet2 goes - It a shame that jobs are lost, but really - I geuss this might just be business.

Fair enough, BA probably won't go...

I shouldn't make a CC remark in the airline topic, but I am going to.

And thanks for the personal remarks, I don't lack ambition - I do want the work as CC, and FR (at the moment) is the only place to go. I geuss as it has been said, an expensive way into the industry.

757flyer
12th Aug 2009, 10:02
I think futureCC has proved why this site has gone downhill in recent years, misguided 17 year old schoolboys spouting cr@p about sums it up!

flying_highover
12th Aug 2009, 10:34
I think futureCC has proved why this site has gone downhill in recent years, misguided 17 year old schoolboys spouting cr@p about sums it up!

Whereas, I would think it's your attitude that is dragging this site down! The guy is 17 and has esteems. What's wrong with that? If you find something wrong with what he says at least say it in a constructive manner.

AndyH52
12th Aug 2009, 11:00
ASFKAP - wow, I didn't think your posts could get anymore patronizing, but hey, you've proved me wrong!!!!

Charlie Roy
12th Aug 2009, 11:02
Bristol to Malaga is now showing in the booking engine.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a new route?
Mon, Thur, Fri, Sun.

bigdaviet
12th Aug 2009, 11:08

As opposed to the pearls of wisdom provided by the older users.

lol.

super737
12th Aug 2009, 11:24
ASFKAP, Troll lol:ok:

Nothing wrong with being a RYR CC member. Just hard work, and personally I prefer to be working with women from the east. Alot more attractive:p

I feel FutureCC, may have the bubble burst when your on airport standby moving stock around the base for free:} Also you get to clean the sick, to expensive to get the cleaners out, just use your self respect:E

Based
12th Aug 2009, 11:36
Bristol to Malaga is now showing in the booking engine.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a new route?
Mon, Thur, Fri, Sun.

Seems to be, now listed on theairdb.com along with yesterday's Leeds announcements.

Normal people have "an ambition" to become doctors, pilots, architects, and a whole range of other professions, people with a paucity of ambition (and in many cases academic qualifications), or a desperation to escape some East European economic blackspot simply end up as RYR cabin crew.....

There's an unbelievable number of 'abnormal' people in the world so. More silliness.

Centrefire
12th Aug 2009, 13:39
Ambition.

A lot of posters (including me) often disagree with ASFKAP, but I think he's got it right this time.

pikkuprinssi
12th Aug 2009, 14:03
New routes to be announced tomorrow
BLQ-BTS -2-4-6-
BLQ-SVQ --3-5-7
;)

FutureCC
12th Aug 2009, 14:22
I am outraged by the remarks of several people on this forum. Not one of you knows me in any way, you don't know what my "ambitions" are in life or anything about what I want to do in the future.

I wonder what any member of a cabin crew would think to that remark to just serve coffee. I know there are arrogant people out there - but that is the epitome.

I will not be returning on this forum, outrageous remarks and such a high level of arrogance shown. Quite clearly shows what the general rule is here...

If all you have to do in the day is take the p*** out of other people, then you all need to get out more and most certainly get a life.

Thank you for all your advice.

Goodbye.

757flyer
12th Aug 2009, 15:02
bye bye :ok::ok:

eu01
12th Aug 2009, 16:11
Serving so many destinations east of Berlin FR do not have a single base in Poland (like KRK?), Czechia/Slovakia (like BTS?), Hungary. From Ryanair's point of view employing its crews on, say, Polish or Bulgarian contract could be even cheaper for them. It still didn't happen. Why?Look here (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-shelves-poland-plans-over-fee-hikes-1439724.html).
Friday July 25 2008

NEGOTIATIONS on up to four Ryanair bases in Poland were yesterday suspended after the low-cost carrier baulked at increases in local air traffic control (ATC) costs.

Poland has been one of Ryanair's biggest expansion stories, with passenger numbers rocketing from 1.2 million in 2006 to 2.3 million last year.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary recently said he was targeting 10 million annual Polish passengers, and rumours on a possible Ryanair base have been rife since November, when Mr O'Leary told local reporters he hoped to open a Polish base "next year". Those rumours intensified in mid-June, when local reports quoted Ryanair's central European director Tomasz Kulakowski, as saying the airline wanted to have "three or four" bases in Poland within about four years.

Yesterday, however, Ryanair announced the immediate cessation of all Polish bases talks in protest at a new ATC charging regime that has just been introduced. In a statement, the airline said Poland's ATC organisation PANSA has increased fees for landing and takeoffs at Polish airports by 960pc, while lowering fees for overflying Polish airspace.One might argue that as FR still fly to Poland, nothing prevents them from using some opportunities as they go - the operational costs on land could indeed be lower in these countries. But principles are principles, aren't they? ;)

al446
12th Aug 2009, 19:55
If you have not ceased reading this thread yet may I offer the following?

Not one of you knows me in any way, you don't know what my "ambitions" are in life or anything about what I want to do in the future.

You were the one who stated your ambitions. At some length as I remember. You may draw some comfort from this (almost) 56yo whose ambitions have gone through a continual process of revision since childhood. A pre-requisite of this is to outgrow childhood.

I wonder what any member of a cabin crew would think to that remark to just serve coffee. I know there are arrogant people out there - but that is the epitome.

You are quite right, they do not only serve coffee, there are crisps, sandwiches, scratch cards and all manner of ridiculously over-priced goodies. They also have a flight safety function that many pax don't see.
The epitome of what? For there to be an epitome it must be either a summary or embodiment of something, see Epitome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epitome)
As for arrogance. Did you not demonstrate this in your original post? You may be of the opinion that RYR will cleave Jet2 asunder by moving into LBA, I am not convinced. Who pulled out of BLK? By postulating that RYR should display the slogan you suggested demonstrates a greater arrogance than any post I have read since.

I will not be returning on this forum, outrageous remarks and such a high level of arrogance shown. Quite clearly shows what the general rule is here...

Fair enough, far from ourageous and I've covered arrogance. Ta ta.

If all you have to do in the day is take the p*** out of other people, then you all need to get out more and most certainly get a life.

All that people on here do with their free time is pursue their interest in aviation from whichever direction, those people coming from varying backgrounds but I have only seen 1 case of someone whose aim is to take the P, and then he was knocked down quickly. My experience is that only ridiculous statements that demonstrate a certain unworldliness or arrogance will get jumped on so I suggest that you need to get out more and most certainly get a life.

No need for thanks for the advice.

Stewart28
12th Aug 2009, 20:08
why in online check-in its is showing Derry - Bristol but you can not do a booking

en2r
12th Aug 2009, 20:25
why in online check-in its is showing Derry - Bristol but you can not do a booking
This route was launched when Ryanair first opened their Bristol base, however it has since been axed. It's a frequent occurrence with Ryanair that axed routes appear in online check in for some time after they end.

pee
13th Aug 2009, 07:04
It's a frequent occurrence with Ryanair that axed routes appear in online check in for some time after they end.
Go via "Book Now" and try. You'll see Tampere - Liverpool route, try to go ahead:
Going Out From Tampere - Liverpool
« Previous Week Next Week »
Sorry, there are no available flights departing on the 23 Aug - 29 Aug
This may be because:
The flight you have chosen is full
The route selected has not yet commenced operation
In fact this route has been discontinued in May 2007. Some cleaning necessary?

lplsprog
13th Aug 2009, 07:18
There maybe another reason why routes are still on the system after being withdrawn, it can be a way of judging just how much interest there is in it for reintroduction.

blueplatinum
13th Aug 2009, 07:30
Is there any way to pay Ryan Air in GBP when booking a trip that does not originate in the UK?

I want to pay by Electron (to save fees) but if the transaction is presented to my bank in Euro then they will charge me!

Patuta
13th Aug 2009, 09:44
Prepaid Virtual VISA Cards by EntroPay (http://www.entropay.com)

Seat62K
13th Aug 2009, 20:15
In my experience, Ryanair has always converted fares in euro to sterling without asking if this was my preference and as a result a sterling amount appears on my card statement. (There have been times when I would have preferred to have my card issuer do the conversion rather than Ryanair.)

My understanding is that the customer should be given the choice.

blueplatinum
13th Aug 2009, 21:55
Prepaid Virtual VISA Cards by EntroPay (http://www.entropay.com/)My objective is to save money, so no thanks!

davidjohnson6
13th Aug 2009, 22:01
Does the choice of currency exchange rate give Ryanair the chance to boost ancillary revenues ?

al446
14th Aug 2009, 00:34
Does the choice of currency exchange rate give Ryanair the chance to boost ancillary revenues ?

Do bears deficate in the woods, does the pope have a balcony, is Noel Edmonds naff?

Work it out.

blueplatinum
14th Aug 2009, 21:54
In my experience, Ryanair has always converted fares in euro to sterling without asking if this was my preference and as a result a sterling amount appears on my card statement. (There have been times when I would have preferred to have my card issuer do the conversion rather than Ryanair.)

My understanding is that the customer should be given the choice.

I just booked flight for us to go to UK for Christmas (amazed how cheap the return on 28 Dec. was as this is top peak for most airlines).

I paid with a UK VISA Electron card and the web site came up with a message which said ... if the card currency is different to tthe billed currency then click HERE to see how much you will be charged. This implies to me that they are going to charge me in GBP as it is a UK card.

BTW - the link to check the amount did not work (in Mozilla Firefox) but presumebly they have a standard Xrate so I am sure I did not lose out.

danielmellor
15th Aug 2009, 00:26
Any Chances On a Flight Between Belfast City and Shannnon

Hawk
15th Aug 2009, 06:37
The forum is here to discuss the general corporate business of Airlines and Airports. It is not here to discuss Xmas bookings. Contributors' that require credit card information need to contact their travel agency. There is a regulation "sticky" at the top of the forum that explains the situation.

Any contribution the moderators see as stepping outside the gidelines risks deletion.

Thank you.

AA&R Mods

ALLMCC
15th Aug 2009, 09:28
I think BHD - SNN could work maybe 3 or 4 times a week to start with to gauge demand and step up to daily. Would have to be operated by a SNN based aircraft though as BHD still has only one based aircraft. If anyone could make it work, FR could.

eu01
16th Aug 2009, 08:50
The Maltese authorities are in discussions with Ryanair with regard to a base. The Malta Independent Online publishes a detailed route analysis (http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=92682) based on the routes suggested by Ryanair (in May). The destinations considered are BOH, STN, BHX, CRL, BVA, MRS, KRK, numerous Spanish and Italian airports as well as some new countries like Tunisia, Turkey and Israel.

toledoashley
16th Aug 2009, 08:56
We have been down this road before, I think there will be more services added to Malta from existing bases before they setup there.

flying_highover
16th Aug 2009, 12:23
I notice on the Ryanair website some flight cancellations due to fog at Stansted, Beauvais and Treviso. How come the Belfast flight was the only flight cancelled from Stansted at 8.15 on the morning of the 14th?

Surely, if weather was an issue in Stansted that day there would have been a number of flights cancelled? Is it possible all other flights were just delays or am I being to cynical and thinking they are falsely reporting it as weather when it was actually something else?

Seat62K
16th Aug 2009, 13:03
I saw this and at first thought the fog might not have been at Stansted but at Belfast City but as no flights were cancelled at the latter it remains a mystery to me and I, too, would like to know why only one flight at STN was cancelled.

I have the perception that to maintain operational integrity (in the sense of having a reduced knock-on impact on punctuality) Ryanair seems to prefer to cancel flights rather than fly them with delays. This is certainly bad for travellers on these flights but presumably schedules return to normal more quickly.

(I should have written "sometimes seems to prefer"; I recall delays of approximately one hour during the French ATC "go slow" last year when passengers were boarded and had to remain on the aircraft.)

al446
16th Aug 2009, 18:47
I have the perception that to maintain operational integrity (in the sense of having a reduced knock-on impact on punctuality) Ryanair seems to prefer to cancel flights rather than fly them with delays. This is certainly bad for travellers on these flights but presumably schedules return to normal more quickly.

In MOL's words "What do they expect for £1?"

wowzz
16th Aug 2009, 21:53
As Mark Twain said - "Lies, damn lies and statistics". You can guess where MOL stands on this!!

jdcg
17th Aug 2009, 11:24
"Operational integrity" is certainly what was given as the reason for cancelling a load of flights at Pisa recently, specifically by the check-in people at the airport to a load of irate Italians and other travellers. Thankfully I was on the last night flight back to EMA but was sitting next to some canadians who were supposed to fly into BOH that morning when Ryanair cancelled their flight because the runway was having emergency repairs. The Canadians seemed to think they'd been assured they'd get up to £250 compensation to cover their hotel near EMA and train down to Bournemouth but I seriously doubted it. On the website it says the usual stuff about all out of Ryanair control so can't imagine they'll get lucky. But in summer most people haven't paid £1 per flight, usually much more. Seems a bit off to cancel flights and offer nothing. Can anyone confirm what would have happened?

jubilee
17th Aug 2009, 13:09
Ryan Air stopping nine out of ten flights from Manchester from October.
I assume that the cheap start a route period has finished,and from another thread Manchester was not prepared to offer free or cheap airport fees.

Just my opinion, but I agree with Manchester on this, everybody else pays, so why should RA be exempt.

Regards,
Jubilee

Based
17th Aug 2009, 13:10
Bergamo, Bremen, Charleroi, Cagliari, Girona, Hahn, Marseille, Shannon and Weeze ceasing from 1st October.

WHBM
17th Aug 2009, 13:24
From the BBC

BBC NEWS | Business | Ryanair closing Manchester routes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8205445.stm)

Ryanair is to switch or close nine of the 10 routes it currently operates from Manchester Airport, blaming the airport's refusal to lower its charges.
......Ryanair said it had offered Manchester an additional 28 weekly flights if the airport agreed to reduce its charges, but that it had rejected the offer.
Ryanair also said that if Esso would only charge them half the price it charges everyone else for fuel, then Ryanair would be able to increase flights, and it was only the oil company's intransigence that prevented this.

They further commented that Boeing ought to charge them half the price they charge everyone else for 737s.

davidjohnson6
17th Aug 2009, 13:27
So Ryanair moves capacity from Manchester to Leeds.... and Jet2 may end up moving capacity from Leeds to Manchester :*

HOODED
17th Aug 2009, 13:36
Ryanair move MAN flights to LBA, not really look at the flights being lost compared to the flights announced ex LBA. This is typical Ryanair, I fully expect a similar move in about a years time in the oppsite direction when the cheap start up fees end at LBA.

EXS258
17th Aug 2009, 13:55
So does this mean increased frequency on LBA-GRO flights? should we expect yet more new routes from the LBA starting in October?

apaul
17th Aug 2009, 14:02
Only if you take Ryanair press statements at face value.

ATSA1
17th Aug 2009, 14:38
Why anyone would take MOL's word for anything is beyond me!

It's time that everybody in the business just said NO to Ryanair! Thet just expect to fly into any airport for nothing, get cheap fuel, pay no handling charges, and then stitch up their self loading freight for every spare penny that they have!

So who makes any money at the end of the day? Nobody , except Ryanair! Boeing should take a leaf out of Airbus's book, and just say to MOL, "This is the price of our 737's, take it or leave it!"

Well done Manchester, you wont miss him, Cardiff hasn't!

EXS258
17th Aug 2009, 14:54
I think EZY and maybe even jet2 will be first to pounce on this announcement, take advantage and maybe take a couple of these routes on. but like people have said, i dont think they'll be missed at Manchester one bit.

sky9
17th Aug 2009, 15:04
Is fuel cheap at LBA?
And the cost of diversions due to weather would be an added cost. LBA has never been a cheap airport to operate from.

spider_man
17th Aug 2009, 15:10
Ryanair had offered Manchester an additional 28 weekly flights and 400,000 new passengers which would have created 400 new jobs

Big deal - 1 based aircraft?

Manchester Airport refused to lower its charges to reflect the lower fares being paid by passengers

I hope the charges are much higher if and when FR attempt any return! I wish ryanair all the best in its race to the bottom.

goldeneye
17th Aug 2009, 15:18
Good on Manchester Airport for saying NO to them.
Id like to see more airports do the same.

Sober Lark
17th Aug 2009, 15:38
Manchester today! Isn't it all a game of chess! Fast forward a few years and I shudder to imagine when the whole island of Ireland will be held to ransom. At least you guys cross channel have had the foresight to have built a tunnel !

ian_h1
17th Aug 2009, 16:01
Good riddance to bad rubbish I say and well done to MAG to standing up to MOL's bullying and owt for nowt way of "running" his business - proper airlines that care about their customers will be the winners here as will an airport that understands low cost doesnt have to equal cheap n nasty practices.

befree
17th Aug 2009, 16:04
airports need to make money. Fr will make big demands but put very little cash into an airport. overall the effect is bad as other airlines move out which used more of the airports staff. You get a spike when FR move in and then a decline in income. You cannot run a profitable airport if FR drive away the other airlines.

babemagnet
17th Aug 2009, 16:35
Great news! Ryanair should pay the same amount of money as everybody else! Bye bye Ryanair

stormin norman
17th Aug 2009, 16:44
Well done Manchester.

dublin_eire
17th Aug 2009, 16:46
I'm not so convinced. Think Manchester may have missed out on some potential money earners. I don't see any airline stimulating people to travel as much as Ryanair. I know a good few people who have said to me 'I'm going here, here and here 'cause it's costing me nothing.'....

The footfall will be Manchester airports loss and the inconvenience will be the peoples' disadvantage. Ryanair have a different business model to those of other airlines and that has to be taken into account when discussing their dealings with the airport authorities. Ryanair will incentivise their own operations by having x amount of pax pass through an airport....

And you can't only take airport charges as a stand alone issue. Look at the jobs, tourism and catering suppliers that gain in the process. Manchester's representatives need to take a leaf out of Leed's!

davidjohnson6
17th Aug 2009, 17:07
dubline - while Manchester airport is owned by the various pieces of local Govt that cover the Manchester area, it gets very messy when you try to cross-subsidise one thing with another.

I doubt Manchester gets a large amount of inbound tourism from Ryanair passengers. They might get on the train to the Lake District, but the number of people who live in Girona who come to see Manchester is probably quite small. It's more likely that Ryanair are carrying residents of Manchester to spend their money elsewhere in Europe.

If airport charges are insufficient to cover all the costs, then it is possible for the airport to make the money up through car park charges and spend in shops. However, passengers generally won't accept being charged a different amount to park their car depending on the airline they are using ! Further, to cover that £1 of airport charge, a passenger needs to spend on average quite a bit more on other items - that hamburger costs money to produce and Burger King want some profit margin as well. Further, Ryanair don't want to rent check in desks, so another potential revenue stream is lost.

One could make the argument that because Manchester airport is owned by local Govt, then local Govt should subsidise it to save jobs. In rare cases this might be true, but Govt is usually not good at running business. Politics is about democracy and being fair to all citizens - business is the undemocratic means of making money. Using taxpayer funds to make it cheaper for the middle class to jaunt around Europe is unlikely to be the best use of the money.

Merchant Banker
17th Aug 2009, 17:07
Great news, bye bye Ryanair!

Rob1975
17th Aug 2009, 17:08
It's said on another thread (Manchester 7) that FR more or less wanted to fly free from MAN - if they had agreed, you can bet Jet2 etc. would have wanted that same deal..? Expect over-exaggerated claims from FR via the media!

Based
17th Aug 2009, 17:12
Good riddance to bad rubbish I say and well done to MAG to standing up to MOL's bullying and owt for nowt way of "running" his business - proper airlines that care about their customers will be the winners here as will an airport that understands low cost doesnt have to equal cheap n nasty practices.

The funniest thing is that MAG also owns East Midlands Airport which is one of the 'lower cost competitor airports' mentioned by Ryanair. It's all a game of cat and mouse guys, comments like 'Well done Manchester' and 'Great news! Ryanair should pay the same amount of money as everybody else! Bye bye Ryanair' only emphasise your hatred of Ryanair rather than any understanding of the commercial dealings of the aviation world and of what actually might be bad or good for Manchester overall.

OliWW
17th Aug 2009, 17:16
The only competition FR has at EMA is WW, EZY and a few charter airlines, compared to MAN. The catchment area however does also involve BHX as well, but FR is less of a threat at EMA over MAN and has been able to have continual growth at EMA since 2003.

dublin_eire
17th Aug 2009, 17:24
I doubt Manchester gets a large amount of inbound tourism from Ryanair passengers.Funny you should say that. I was thinking of taking advantage of the cheap fares to visit Manchester as I've never been. Wanted to check out the Irish centre there. And, don't forget the continentals that want to travel there, especially during the summer, to learn English.

FR more or less wanted to fly free from MAN - if they had agreed, you can bet Jet2 etc. would have wanted that same deal..? The only difference there would be Ryanair would promise x amount of pax and be able to deliver on that whereas I doubt Jet2 would be able to substantially stimulate untouched markets the way Ryanair can.

I hope you all remember the inconvenience this will have on the workers at the airport and their families. Some might say it's Ryanair's fault but if something is counter to your business model what choice have you? Profitiblity is key at the end of the day and Ryanair caters to it's shareholders like any other business. I'm sure Tesco and the likes do exactly the same!

benish
17th Aug 2009, 17:54
How will this cause 600 job losses?!
28 flights a week can be operated by 2 aircraft, I imagine. Since when did 2 aircraft require 600 jobs?!

dublin_eire
17th Aug 2009, 18:01
Agreed, it deffo ain't 600. And for sure directly employed staff is nowhere near 600. But remember you do have huge spin off from every aircraft.... ATC controllers, caterers, re-fuelers, baggage handlers etc. etc.

600 jobs or however many will most likely manifest in hours being cut for workers in shops, bars and on the apron.

EI-BUD
17th Aug 2009, 18:10
Ryanair Manchester Reduction;

This should be the golden opportunity for Jet2 and Bmibaby to get in and take over from Ryanair and offer any affected Ryanair passengers Free or cheap tickets in a bill board that would say 'Ryanair stranded passengers tickets honoured'.

Would make the whole landscape very interesting and for Jet2 the timing would be perfect!!!!??

Any thoughts?

EI-BUD

toledoashley
17th Aug 2009, 18:22
LS and EZY should be able to take over from FR. EZY have already applied for MAN-DUS, and I think other routes are also planned.

Based
17th Aug 2009, 18:46
28 flights a week can be operated by 2 aircraft, I imagine. Since when did 2 aircraft require 600 jobs?!

Ryanair base this figure on the assumption of 1000 direct and indirect jobs per 1 million passengers. It not the definite loss of 600 jobs but the potential loss of up to 600 jobs.

Specifically, Ryanair currently have approximately 36 workers per aircraft to give you an idea of direct jobs (as in employed directly by Ryanair only).

Ryanair Manchester Reduction;

This should be the golden opportunity for Jet2 and Bmibaby to get in and take over from Ryanair and offer any affected Ryanair passengers Free or cheap tickets in a bill board that would say 'Ryanair stranded passengers tickets honoured'.

Would make the whole landscape very interesting and for Jet2 the timing would be perfect!!!!??

Any thoughts?

EI-BUD

Jet2 have responded in a way - announcing Kos, Venice and Gran Canaria this afternoon for Summer 2010. Overall it would only be a smart move if they believe they can make a profit from largely marginal Ryanair routes while paying full airport fees, there's a reason why Dublin has been retained. Granted, flying to the main airport instead may target a different customer pool but then again most of these airports are already served.

Barcelona - BMIbaby, Monach
Brussels - Flybe, Brussels Airlines
Dusseldorf - Flybe, Lufthansa
Frankfurt - Flybe, Lufthansa
Milan MXP - Flybe
Olbia - Jet2 (vs Ryanair's Cagliari)

That leaves Marseille, Bremen and Shannon without direct routes from Manchester as a result of this announcement.

donnlass
17th Aug 2009, 18:50
BBC NEWS | Business | Ryanair closing Manchester routes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8205445.stm)

At least their still flying to Dublin!!!!:ok:

RED WINGS
17th Aug 2009, 18:56
Well done Manchester!!!

I like to see people stand up to a bully!:D

eu01
17th Aug 2009, 18:57
Good morning! They've been discussing it here for hours.

howard h
17th Aug 2009, 19:03
As a mere passenger, I would never consider flying Ryanair. The mere thought of the hastle of x-in with/without bags + bag drops etc, countless charges onto the £1.99 or whatever base fare, being left stranded by them etc etc is a total turn-off.

Good riddence, and I hope a proper airline (even if a tad more expensive) takes their routes.

dwlpl
17th Aug 2009, 19:11

What you will find is that the lost routes will equate to approx 600k in passenger figures.

They constantly use 1000 jobs, per 1million passengers when quoting benefits of them starting routes/bases.

EDIT - just noticed a similar post from 'based'.

dwlpl
17th Aug 2009, 19:15
I note that there is no sign of FR placing the moved routes up on its site for sale yet.

The news today is a publicity stunt designed to get its low fees from airport owners.

They will be back at MAN and they will get the fees it wants in a year or two.

conradmueller
17th Aug 2009, 19:21
What about charging Ryanair extra for being allowed to use a big airport?
At least it is the second airport to FUE, who doesn´t let FR do what it likes.

Based
17th Aug 2009, 19:32
Good riddence, and I hope a proper airline (even if a tad more expensive) takes their routes.

I'm guessing you're also the type that would never consider flying to Charleroi, Hahn, Girona, Weeze, etc. in the first place so it might be better if a 'proper airline' doesn't take their routes. Please see my previous post for airlines already operating to 'proper' airports.

On the charges front, it's not all that complicated to work out really. It's the quoted fare when you search for a flight + €10/£10 if you want to check in a bag + €5/£5 if you're paying with anything other than a Visa Electron card. Just think of most of the other charges as penalties for people who can't do things properly and therefore require more Ryanair resources to get them airborne!

I note that there is no sign of FR placing the moved routes up on its site for sale yet.

I'm not sure it's their intention to add extra routes from East Midlands, Leeds, etc. as a direct result of these route closures. By saying 'switch' I believe they're referring to the fact that they will be offering passengers the opportunity to choose to fly from these airports instead, if the affected routes happen to be offered from these airports already.

What about charging Ryanair extra for being allowed to use a big airport? At least it is the second airport to FUE, who doesn´t let FR do what it likes.

I don't think they would sign that deal. It's well beyond the 2nd airport who 'doesn't let FR do what it likes'. Despite what it may seem like from many comments on these boards, it's not an airport's function to try and defend itself from what Ryanair does and does not want to do but to operate as a viable business. Stop demeaning airport bosses!

howard h
17th Aug 2009, 19:37
I'm guessing you're also the type that would never consider flying to Charleroi, Hahn, Girona

Correct. I'd go by train (Eurostar mainly) to the first two, and fly to Barcelona and train it to wherever concerning Girona.

Based
17th Aug 2009, 19:40
Correct. I'd go by train (Eurostar mainly) to the first two, and fly to Barcelona and train it to wherever concerning Girona.

More justification why a 'proper airline' shouldn't take their routes then!

scrapy
17th Aug 2009, 19:48
I think a Jet2 route to Girona 3 or 4 times weekly would do well also selling holidays to the Costa Brava with Jet2 holidays.

Herc708
17th Aug 2009, 19:56
“Ryanair continues to lower fares to encourage travel, but with passengers paying lower fares airports must lower their charges – particularly high cost airports like <Name of Bad Airport>. Ryanair had offered new routes, traffic and growth to <Name of Bad Airport>. but since they prefer to preserve their high cost base than to grow, Ryanair will now switch/close <Name of Bad Airport>. to <Name of Good Airport>. from 1st October next resulting in the loss of <Any number> passengers p.a. and up to <Any number> jobs at <Name of Bad Airport>.

Based
17th Aug 2009, 19:59
http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/274500-ryanair-6-a-275.html

flying_shortly
17th Aug 2009, 20:36
I'd like to know what are the implications for people in Manchester. To go to Liverpool, Leeds and E. Midlands what kind of commuting is involved?

I'm wondering will it be to Ryanair's benefit more that it has three satellite airports rather than one centralised airport(Man) that for the majority would be a pain to travel to 'cause of the nature of the spread out suburbs of Manchester... i.e. those to the North and East go to Leeds and those to the South and West go to Liverpool. Am I right in saying it will be more convenient to many?

Also, in the long term for Ryanair maybe it's best to set a precedent by forcing the airports to minimise fees if the government aren't willing to get rid of the travel tax.... Manchester is unlucky with it's proximity of alternative airports. Dublin hasn't the same issue...

Skipness One Echo
17th Aug 2009, 20:55
I'd like to know what are the implications for people in Manchester. To go to Liverpool, Leeds and E. Midlands what kind of commuting is involved? Buy an atlas mate!

Manchester are dumb. They should have given in to Ryanair and let the other airlines paying market rates subsidise those lovely Irish chappies. That's the rules innit? Now hundreds/thousands/millions/billions of jobs will be lost thanks to the poor management at MAN who wouldn't give them everything they asked for! Silly men.

In other news, easyJet suddenly looking much closer at a bigger MAN operation.

flying_shortly
17th Aug 2009, 21:06
Buy an atlas mate!

Trust me, you'd be no mate of mine!

I know what distances are involved and even what roads to take. Just wanted to know with traffic and public transport will it be a burden to travel to the alternate airports?

nospeedrestriction9
17th Aug 2009, 21:14
It's the same old press release from Ryanair... moving aircraft... loosing jobs... how bad Manchester airport are.... When are thery going to come up with something worth reading.

Well done to Manchester airport. Why should one airline get reduced fees by threatening to pull out when others should keep on paying published fees! If every airport took a page out of Manchester's book ryanair would be forced to compete fairly with other airlines!

macuser
17th Aug 2009, 21:26
Just get the feeling that UK airports generally don't necessarily now like to have the Ryanair cheap and (not so ) cheerful concept around. If the pax are grabbing a low fare, unlikely they are funding other infrastructure elements eg car park, duty free, bar, coffee outlet, restaurant. In other words, it is not worth a long-term subsidy. Better to encourage the other low-cost operators.

harbour cotter
17th Aug 2009, 21:27
flying shortly,

I think its more complicated than merely the 'commuting' distance as the majority of MAN pax will come from the Region as a whole and further afield. However, to answer your question, if you are travelling from the centre of manchester to LPL there are 2 direct coach connections which take approx 15/20 minutes more than travelling to Man airport. The most regular of the two (which incidentally also serves Man airport and therefore is slower) runs hourly on a 24 hour basis. You can also use a rail link from Man to Liverpool parkway and a dedicated bus from there to LPL airport, although only stopping and semi-fast trains stop there, it does serve West manchester areas better. If travelling from Wigan, then there is a rail service available via Kirkby. If travelling by Road then the M56, M62, M6 corridors are only minutes from the airport. The M60 and some other motorways also link in. However I would imagine that East manchester travellers would have some hassle if using public transport, albeit with only one change in Manchester Piccadilly or Oxford st for either train or coach.

However, both airports have (with some exceptions) an interchangeable catchment area, so although its a bit of hassle in either direction, not majorly so.

h&s
17th Aug 2009, 21:33
That leaves Marseille, Bremen and Shannon without direct routes from Manchester as a result of this announcement.

which were bloody dogs...

Ryanair way to do business (when I think some people still consider them as genious...:eek:): rubbish customer service, rubbish investments (EI!!!), rubbish HR policy (huge turnover as good people never stay long), rubbish revenue management, rubbish choice of routes (list too long), and at the end, if they are not profitable, everything is because of airports!
We all know the low brain airline is having huge discount/incentive from airports (more than any other airline), confirmed by this story, so I am actually amazed how bad their financial performance may be seen, especially if we compare with others airline which don't have this huge level of subsidies/cost reduction!

May they not use a little bit their brain, improving few things here or there? Of course not, they will use the good old recipe: reducing even further airport charges. Today this is clear, Ryanair is only profitable because airports usually agree with what the low brain airline proposes.

It confirms what I always said: Ryanair business model success is only based on the exploitation of the weaker economically: cabin crew and airports.

How simple can be the aviation business when we are Ryanair. For sure they don't need any genious in the head office, the most brutal the better.

At the end, we can say, "there are good to keep their cost low", this is true, but at what costs for airports...
Well done Manchester, and hopefully many airports will follow you to stop the low brain airline to expand. Valencia, Manchester, Fueraventura, already 3 quite big airport refusing Ryanair unbelievable conditions in one year only.
For the aviation future in Europe: thank you Manchester :ok:

chiglet
17th Aug 2009, 21:49
Did it years ago.
FR "Give us cheap fees or we go"
MAN "Bye bye"
FR down to 1 or 2 daily ex DUB...EI 5 daily :ok:
6 months later....FR back to normal...

harrogate
17th Aug 2009, 21:50
Running away when there's the first hint of things not going their own way merely serves to disguise the fact they simply cannot compete when they don't get things on their own terms.

They're quick to jump on the likes of BA and BMI and their 'expensive' fares, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that the Ryanair model just haven't moved with the times and cannot compete when an unplanned external factor gets in their way. In this case, something as simple as a routine operating cost that they obviously can't accommodate in their dying model.

This is all other airlines everywhere 1 - Ryanair Nil.

Interesting times.

flying_shortly
17th Aug 2009, 21:59
rubbish investments (EI!!!)

Not so sure that was a rubbish investment. You don't know what politics are at play when Ryanair write off their investment there. To back up my point... why has the Norwegian State Fund bought into EI?

Oil-rich Norway builds up stake in €2.5bn Elan - Irish, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/oilrich-norway-builds-up-stake-in-836425bn-elan-1861360.html)

SAM-EMA
17th Aug 2009, 22:30
A similar thing happened to BHX a few years ago, DUB was reduced and Girona and Murcia were moved to EMA. Look at BHX now in terms of FR. Its only a matter of time before FR are back at MAN.

Master_Dn
17th Aug 2009, 23:30
unless they move their flights to Liverpool and then Manchester loses the game...

Shed-on-a-Pole
18th Aug 2009, 01:19
Well, Master Dn. That would depend on the rules of said game. Are we defining airport success as increased passenger throughput alone, or does sustainable long-term financial viability merit consideration? Because on Ryanair's terms an airport may quickly find it cannot enjoy both. Amateurs usually favour the former, but aviation business professionals are required to be mindful of the bigger picture. "Winning the game" from MAN's perspective means not alienating the goodwill of the many other carriers operating from the airport. "Winning the game" means prioritizing profitability and protecting revenue streams. "Winning the game" means not undermining your loyal long-term business partners by awarding a sweetheart deal to a single ruthless predatory interloper.

Forget the game. Consider the game, set and match.

Good Luck. SHED.

shaun ryder
18th Aug 2009, 03:54
It just goes to prove that they can't compete with the rest on an equal footing as said. Proper airline..Hmmm? My guess is people will not miss them as much as they would have us think. Manchester airport has been around alot longer than they have. Somehow I don't think it will be their downfall! When people actually do the sums and research, they are not going to drive off to EMA to catch a flight to some obscure airport in the middle of nowhere. Roll on Manchester, good riddance grubby low cost airline.

The Real Slim Shady
18th Aug 2009, 04:59
they are not going to drive off to EMA to catch a flight to some obscure airport in the middle of nowhere.

People will choose which airport they travel from for a huge variety of reasons, not simply because it is closest to home or has a service to a destination close to where they want to be. It may be down to price, or convenience for others in their party, or parking fees or simply dislike of large airports.

Within a 2 hour drive from Manchester you have LPL,LBA,HUY,EMA,CVT,BHX so plenty of choice: I'm 10 minutes from EMA, 40 from BHX, 80 minutes from MAN but just about to leave for LTN as, on this occasion, it is more convenient.

gate 22
18th Aug 2009, 06:45
EI could look at MAN as a base, giving them a north UK base. Also MAN should now up the fee's for FR's DUB/MAN service, this could get rid of them totally.

Flying_Frisbee
18th Aug 2009, 07:07
howard h
I'm guessing you're also the type that would never consider flying to Charleroi, Hahn, Girona

Train to the real Frankfurt from London on Eurostar/ICE takes 8 hours, with changes at Brussels and Köln. Not much of an alternative to flying to Hahn really.
Eurostar to Brussels from London works, though.

Facelookbovvered
18th Aug 2009, 07:25
The people i feel sorry for are the pilots and their families, they are fast becoming nomadic, do they live in tents or caravans?

Not a huge loss to MAN Easy/Jet2/baby can fill any route gaps that are viable

Ever wondered why Ryanair don't fly from BFS? because the 3 above told the airport management they would walk if Ryanair came in!

I would love to see baby or Jet2 launch a DUB sevice from MAN, if i worked for either of them i would offer to work for free to operate those flights, in fact i would go one better and suggest that all uk/european airlines should take Ryanair on, on the DUB route, can you see the blood drain from MOL face if every airport in Europe suddenly started flying to Dublin hehe

UPS@EMA
18th Aug 2009, 07:51
Where do people think the routes will be split then???

LBA - BGY
LBA - NRN
EMA - MRS
EMA - BRE
EMA - HHN
LPL - CRL
LPL - CAG

While closing SNN and GRO?

Regards

Stu

dwlpl
18th Aug 2009, 08:26
Where do people think the routes will be split then???

LBA - BGY
LBA - NRN
EMA - MRS
EMA - BRE
EMA - HHN
LPL - CRL
LPL - CAG

Its rumoured that the current Liverpool to Milan, Shannon and Girona routes will have their frequencies increased.

BC2300
18th Aug 2009, 08:26
Good move by Ryanair. Shows they aren't scared to walk away and acts as a warning to other high cost airports. After the LBA announcement and O’Learys tone it was clear MAN was going to be made an example of, even if they offered £1 a passenger.

Publicity will have done wonders for bookings aswell yesterday and will be all over the papers today beside some nice 1 million seat sale ads.

super737
18th Aug 2009, 09:46
Actually, when FR were in discussion with BFS management, the other airlines had nothing to do with it. It was however to do with the fact that the handling agents were short sighted and didn't like the deal offered.

dublin_eire
18th Aug 2009, 10:00
I would love to see baby or Jet2 launch a DUB sevice from MAN, if i worked for either of them i would offer to work for free to operate those flights, in fact i would go one better and suggest that all uk/european airlines should take Ryanair on, on the DUB route, can you see the blood drain from MOL face if every airport in Europe suddenly started flying to Dublin hehe

1.) Get a life!

2.) Dub is only a piece of the jigsaw now....

BEagle
18th Aug 2009, 12:12
It was however to do with the fact that the handling agents were short sighted and didn't like the deal offered.

Funny how it's always someone else's fault when Mikey-the-Pikey doesn't get his way......

Still, there's some good news. Fewer Ryanair flights now clutter up Friedrichshafen airport - the Dublin flight now uses Memmingen. Or 'Munich West' as Ryanair laughingly call it - Munich is a mere 100 km to the east....:hmm:

Davidsoffice
18th Aug 2009, 13:12
Question if I may regarding this latest announcement...Why do airports charge per passenger? I can understand the handling agents doing so but not the airport. Would it not be fairer to charge an amount per aircraft, related to the size of the aircraft, so that those with better load factors are getting the better deal? 737 with half load costs more per pax than the same aircraft with near full load.
From the airport's point of view it doesn't cost them any more to have a full aircraft arrive/depart.

mickyman
18th Aug 2009, 13:45
ASFKAP

I actually agree with you about it being tedious (oh sh1t!!)

MM

dublin_eire
18th Aug 2009, 13:47
Mikey-the-Pikey

I find that offensive... Don't know why but probably because it sounds more of a stereotype than a direct reference to Michael O'Leary. But then again, I see where you're from and all becomes clear...

BFS101
18th Aug 2009, 13:48
It was however to do with the fact that the handling agents were short sighted and didn't like the deal offered.
Thank the Lord they didn't go to specsavers then!!

LGWAlan
18th Aug 2009, 14:17
They do. They also charge per passenger for pax throughput through the terminal. MAN is not the cheapest in the UK - nor the dearest. Charges are also made as part of the airline DOC's

Ametyst2
18th Aug 2009, 14:41
Ryanair starting Liverpool to Bremen thrice weekly from 2nd October (an ex Manchester route)and a Liverpool to Agadir service will commence on 29th October, not sure of frequency on latter route

OliWW
18th Aug 2009, 14:56
Ryanair are stating they are switching 9/10 of their destinations, however, by looking at this in detail, you can see this clearly has not been done as of yet unless you look with another airline which FR shouldnt be promoting. With Manchester loosing a number of FR routes, this is where they have been placed around the area...

Shannon - Unavailable from EMA, LBA, Available from LPL
Brussels - Unavailable from EMA, LPL or LBA
Bremen - Unavailable from EMA, LPL or LBA
Frankfurt - Unavailable from EMA, LPL or LBA, Available from BHX
Dusseldorf - Unavailable from EMA, LPL or LBA
Milan - Available from EMA, LPL
Marseillie - Unavailable from EMA, LPL or LBA
Girona - Available from EMA, LPL, and LBA
Cagliari - Unavailable from EMA, LPL or LBA (Olbia from LPL available)

EMA could easily handle -
Frankfurt
Dusseldorf
Bremen
Cagliari
(Closing the door on a possible Lufthansa introducing German routes in the future)
other routes i suggest for ema would be Marrakesh, Malta, Seville, Brest, Stockholm, Oslo, and Zadar

LPL could easily handle -
Brussels
Frankfurt
Dusseldorf
Marseillie

LBA could easily handle -
Shannon
Milan
Frankfurt

So there is a lot of possibilities for these routes to be shifted to other airports however will they do this?

conti onepass
18th Aug 2009, 15:17
i dont understand this, they say they are making a good profit from manchester, then drop the routes???? i would rather eat my hat than fly from liverpool airport!!!! and ryanair if your dropping 9 routes, why dont yo take dublin as well, let a more decent airline take it over..... goodbye.

dublin_eire
18th Aug 2009, 16:58
i dont understand this, they say they are making a good profit from manchester, then drop the routes???? i would rather eat my hat than fly from liverpool airport!!!! and ryanair if your dropping 9 routes, why dont yo take dublin as well, let a more decent airline take it over..... goodbye.

They won't take Dublin 'cause that would give EI an upper hand for the crowds that go to matches and the large Irish contingent in Man. that travel to and fro.

Something tells me they've done their research on this one and either found people are willing to travel that extra bit to travel with Ryanair or the position of all three satellite airports will in effect serve a larger catchment area and at the same time give Ryanair a chance to get a dig at Man Airport Authorities. If that is the rationale I'm in admiration of Ryanair. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds...

rapidman47
18th Aug 2009, 17:11
i dont understand this, they say they are making a good profit from manchester, then drop the routes???? i would rather eat my hat than fly from liverpool airport!!!! and ryanair if your dropping 9 routes, why dont yo take dublin as well, let a more decent airline take it over..... goodbye. You had better start eating your hat cuz Mol wont let Manchester get the better of him.Not to let the cat out of the bag but Liverpool Long Range loco flight watch this space remember you heard it here first:rolleyes:

looot
18th Aug 2009, 17:15
Ryanair

New:Liverpool, John Lennon (LPL) to Agadir, Almassira (AGA)
New:Liverpool, John Lennon (LPL) to Bremen (BRE)

the AIRDB

Based
18th Aug 2009, 17:37
What about the Liverpool-Bydgoszcz and the Rzeszow services? I can't see anything about them in the press release.
Does anyone know if these will be afftected....?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

You're confused again because of more misunderstanding. Monday's press release related to routes out of Manchester airport.

Bydgoszcz currently operates twice weekly out of Liverpool and is currently scheduled to continue to do so through the winter. Rzeszów is being launched on October 27th and is also scheduled to operate twice weekly.

Any cutbacks on these routes could cause great inconvenience to literally several people......:rolleyes:

Maybe another misunderstanding, having a look at June 2009, 2518 passengers made use of the Bydgoszcz route. As mentioned, Rzeszów hasn't launched yet.

They won't take Dublin 'cause that would give EI an upper hand for the crowds that go to matches and the large Irish contingent in Man. that travel to and fro.

Dublin - Manchester was their 4th largest route by passenger numbers for year ended March 31st 2009 and I'm fairly sure it was nicely profitable too! It won't be going anywhere in a hurry regardless of the state of relations at Manchester airport.

Ryanair

New:Liverpool, John Lennon (LPL) to Agadir, Almassira (AGA)
New:Liverpool, John Lennon (LPL) to Bremen (BRE)

the AIRDB

Bremen starts on October 2nd so appears to directly takeover from Manchester's final flight on September 30th. Agadir starts October 29th.

conti onepass
18th Aug 2009, 17:54
no mate no hat eating, not when we av jet2 and monarch!!!

Skipness One Echo
18th Aug 2009, 17:56
You had better start eating your hat cuz Mol wont let Manchester get the better of him.Not to let the cat out of the bag but Liverpool Long Range loco flight watch this space remember you heard it here first

We had a man down the street who used to cry "The End of The World is Upon Us" and I was just wondering if you graduated from the same school of prediction. Anyhoo....

1) Manchester has sent a signal that they are going to work with their current and future customers without being raped by a certain Irish based airline. Hence no expectation of free use of the airport and a certain level of income is expected from the airlines.
2) Ryanair have walked away from another airport throwing their toys from the pram as they go.

It's a win win. MAN don't have to hack off their current customers, LPL and LBA get some more cheap as chips loco routes and the choice remains with the traveller from where to go. All in all I think MAN have made a good decision for their business, Ryanair are still making pots of cash, however they have dumped on yet another customer, Manchester Airport. Interesting times.

rapidman47
18th Aug 2009, 18:13
no mate no hat eating, not when we av jet2 and monarch!!! mmm But for how long? lets wait and see;)

al446
18th Aug 2009, 19:02
Me & conti onepass seem to share the same tastes & aversions in dining, in his case it is LPL which I have flown out of quite happily many times (although we did get back one time to find that we had been 'taxed' by handling staff en route) and in my case it is RYR. If they were running the last flight out of Hell I would not get on it. RYR stinks.

conti onepass
18th Aug 2009, 19:07
true mate!!! sick of people pulling manchester airport 2 bits, i will only fly from there, i support my local airport... so those who av been fans of ryanair from manchester, let them go, they will be back!!

al446
18th Aug 2009, 19:30
We are by J21 M62 Conti so are roughly equidistant from LBA, MAN, LPL & BLK. If arrival is so that we can get on train and be home for a pint I'll use MAN, otherwise is LPL or, failing that, LBA which is a swine to drive to. MAN lost its allure to me when they put the bars airside (I am a smoker so need to get outdoors now & then). MAN could do lots more for itself but that is a different thread. RYR is a sick dog.

Buster the Bear
18th Aug 2009, 20:10
So Manch don't want Ryanair, but Castle Donington and Hurn do? Bizarre from MAG!

commit aviation
18th Aug 2009, 20:35
Come now Buster. Surely you can see that MAN & EMA / BOH are entirely different kettles of fish?! The smaller regional airports (no disrespect intended) have grown on the back of the lo-co's. MAN already had a good sized business.
They may all be owned by the same group but ultimately they all have their own business models and should develop in their own ways.

BEagle
19th Aug 2009, 05:06
Mikey-the-Pikey

I find that offensive... Don't know why but probably because it sounds more of a stereotype than a direct reference to Michael O'Leary.

Sorry about that. My apologies - I wouldn't want to cast any slurs on the travelling community by making such a comparison.....:\

befree
19th Aug 2009, 08:43
In mail today:-

'Pay us €10 and then you will get your lost purse back,' Ryanair tells distraught girl

www.dailymail.co.ukl (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1207461/Pay-10-lost-purse-Ryanair-tells-distraught-girl-9.html)

The drip-drip of bad press about how ryanair treats pax must be starting to take its toll. The UK press is getting very hostile and in the UK FR is going ex-growth. Moving flights from one airport to another just messes up lots more pax, who as a result are less likely to book again. Just look at the mess if you booked your flights 6 months ahead, parking etc from manchester to find your flight changed to different times from leeds.

Based
19th Aug 2009, 09:19
Indeed bad press, but unfortunately that's the state of the media industry today.

eastern wiseguy
19th Aug 2009, 09:30
Indeed bad press, but unfortunately that's the state of the media industry today.

That would be the same media which slavishly prints all the cock about Standing Pax...Pound to use the Loos ...extra cash if you are "over" weight and gives the Pikey free publicity by the yard?

Just checking.........

jpthomas72
19th Aug 2009, 09:42
Of course, no need to remind that Ryanair uses Hahn, not Frankfurt.
I don't see the point opening EMA-HHN while we have BHX-HHN over here a few miles down the M42, esp as even here it's just 4x weekly, with a Spanish-based plane. I'd _love_ to see BHX-SXF, but again, will not happen. Note that Germanwings (not so visible in the UK, but a big company in Germany, mostly LH-owned) will start MAN-CGN end of October, taking over from TuiFly, with very useful weekend flight times.
Due to CGN-FRA being a superfast train, while HHN-FRA being a coach, journey times on the ground to Frankfurt are very similar, and CGN is Germany's main budget-airlines hub (much more people in catchment area than HHN, and train station inside airport). Easyjet was running EMA-CGN before, normally packed, but they found Palma more profitable.
LH actually already is at EMA to some extend, running CGN-EMA in a BMI codeshare.
I think it's much more likely FR opens LPL-HHN. This is actually a real lacmus-test for Ryanair's real state: If they replace MAN-HHN and MAN-Weeze with nothing, they made probably no money on those routes at all.
I would be annoyed about a MAN-style retreat from BHX (not likely as it's a base here), as I use HHN which is very close to my parents. But when I see FR asking for 85 GBP return (yes, they do, try a weekend in November) at not-so-great flight times, and BE asking for 95 and LH asking for 110, no obvious reason why to use FR. I'm well preparing myself against any future MOL madness (E.g. another threat to close HHN and blackmailing the government there - charming) by getting very familiar how to get cheap tickets out of LH, BE, Eurostar and the ferries. And sometimes using LHR T5 which you people can please keep believing it's a hellhole, that keeps BA's fares to FRA low ;-)

NEW-CREW
19th Aug 2009, 09:55
Ryanair could switch it's Manchester services to Leeds but advertise them as Manchester East........:rolleyes:

Based
19th Aug 2009, 11:08
That would be the same media which slavishly prints all the cock about Standing Pax...Pound to use the Loos ...extra cash if you are "over" weight and gives the Pikey free publicity by the yard?

Just checking.........

That's them alright. I mean I don't know who's worse, the media that publish this stuff day in day out or the people who come on here overreacting to it. Obviously Ryanair will obviously take advantage of this free advertising as long as it's available. In their own words:

Ryanair’s primary marketing strategy is to emphasize its widely available low fares and price guarantee. In doing so, Ryanair primarily advertises its services in national and regional newspapers, as well as through controversial and topical advertising, press conferences and publicity stunts.

Ryanair could switch it's Manchester services to Leeds but advertise them as Manchester East........:rolleyes:

It just never grows old does it.

kingston_toon
19th Aug 2009, 11:25
Stansted - Agadir is back for the winter, twice weekly.

Bristol to Marrakech has also returned.

Seljuk22
19th Aug 2009, 13:13
from Oct 26th: EMA-LCJ 3 weekly
from Nov 3rd: EMA-RZE 2 weekly
from Nov 4th: EMA-BZG 2 weekly
from Nov 5th: EMA-RAK 2 weekly

from Oct 27th: CIA-WRO 3 weekly
from Nov 3rd: CIA-BTS 3 weekly

from Nov 2nd: NRN-FEZ 3 weekly and NRN-AGA 2 weekly, NRN-TNG to come?

from Nov 4th: MAD-RAK daily, MAD-TNG daily and MAD-FEZ 4 weekly
from Nov 5th: MAD-NDR 3 weekly

from Oct 27th: CRL-AGA 2 weekly
from Nov 4th: ALC-EIN 4 weekly
from Nov 5th: NYO-LGW daily (MRS-LGW will be axed from Oct 1st)

Does FR have a new deal with Maroc (like they said they have with Spanish airports)?

adam12345
20th Aug 2009, 10:25
New routes for Edinburgh.

Ryanair said it was increasing its services from Edinburgh to 26, up from 19 on the same period last year.
The company said it was concentrating its efforts on winter sun destinations like Girona (Barcelona), Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Tenerife.
The airline is also adding city break locations like Brussels, Memmingen (Munich West), Gdansk and Oslo (Torp).

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Edinburgh, East and Fife | Ryanair unveils eight new routes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8211525.stm)

dwlpl
20th Aug 2009, 10:33
BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Edinburgh, East and Fife | Ryanair unveils eight new routes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8211525.stm)

Ryanair claimed the changes would increase annual passenger numbers at Edinburgh Airport to almost two million and sustain 2,000 local jobs.

There is that 1000 jobs, per 1 million passengers formula again!

apaul
20th Aug 2009, 14:11
If Ryanair was to use the same basis employed when chastising naughty Stansted (comparing Summer and Winter) then the routes from Edinburgh are staying about the same. There's also no details about the routes being dropped. Giona is not exactly a winter sun destination and describing Memmingen as a city break requires a bit of imagination. Still beneath the spin and jobs nonsense the overall news for Edinburgh is relatively good. It will be interesting to see how Easyjet Edinburgh to Munich stands up to the Memmingen route and how much people will pay to fly to the proper airport.

AndyH52
20th Aug 2009, 14:42
It's a fast moving world and that story is two months old...keep up...:rolleyes:

AndyH52
20th Aug 2009, 15:28
Strange, I know. Having said that extra routes does not necessarily mean extra capacity - there was no mention of additional aircraft so it may be that existing routes will see reductions in frequency so meaning no net increase in capacity...it's probably all there in the (very) small print...

pikkuprinssi
20th Aug 2009, 16:34
Frequencies of new routes from Edinburgh
EDI-GRO 3xw -2-4-6-
EDI-CRL 3xw -2-4-6-
EDI-GDN 3xw -2-4-6-
EDI-LPA 2xw --3---7
EDI-ACE 2xw 1---5--
EDI-FMM 3xw 1-3--6-
EDI-TRF 3xw --3-5-7
EDI-TFS 2xw -2---6-

OltonPete
20th Aug 2009, 18:29
ASFKAP

I agree as far as I can see there is no EDI expansion just rearranging.

Although the new flights are not bookable the current winter schedule
for the based aircraft (if I have copied it correctly) shows: -

Mon - 7 flights
Tue - 7
Wed - 6
Thu - 6
Fri - 7
Sat -6
Sun -7

Say four based aircraft operating three flights a day each equals
12 (some might do 2 flight). If the frequencies posted earlier are
correct then the schedule will only match summer 2009 at best.

BRE, NRN, a couple of DUB's and NRN are away based aircraft.

Flights not bookable this winter are: -

AOC, BLG, CAG, CCS, HAU, LIG, MRS, PMI, PIS, WRO & ZAD.

Pete

pikkuprinssi
21st Aug 2009, 12:52
OltonPete

According to the current schedule it looks like FR are going to base 5 aircrafts at EDI this winter.
They might haven't rearranged the timeteable yet or more routes are to come (ski routes to TRN/GNB for instance and/or increasing of frequencies).

conti onepass
21st Aug 2009, 17:40
due to ryanair cancelling my flight from manchester to bremen, ive noe had a email saying my flight will depart from liverpool, on different dates to the ones booked. NO CHANCE AM I FLYING FROM LIVERPOOL!!!!!!!!! also i feel sorry for those who av already booked hotels and had there flights changed!!! ITS SCANDULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

also quite a few people saying why dont they take there dublin flight as well!!!! come on manchester get rid of them!!!!!!!!! let a proper airline do the routes.

darren1
21st Aug 2009, 17:50
Manchester was probably the only route that made them any money.
If a route fails to make any money for Ryanair it's always the airport or governments fault.
I applaud Manchester for telling MOL where to stick it.

conti onepass
21st Aug 2009, 17:57
thats right mate manchester told them to stick it. also ryanairhou realy pay out some sort of compensation to these passengers who av had there flight changed from manchester!!!! if we wanted to change a flight time or date with ryanair,, they charge you a admin fee plus differance in fare!!! so why cant ryanair do the same back

flying_shortly
21st Aug 2009, 17:59
due to ryanair cancelling my flight from manchester to bremen, ive noe had a email saying my flight will depart from liverpool, on different dates to the ones booked. NO CHANCE AM I FLYING FROM LIVERPOOL!!!!!!!!! also i feel sorry for those who av already booked hotels and had there flights changed!!! ITS SCANDULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a life! Seriously. You probably bought those flights for a few quid first of all. Secondly, you've been given plenty of notice. Simply book yourself on another airline that can support those routes.... Best of luck with that!

Bet I'll see you on Ryanair in the near future anyhow....

OltonPete
21st Aug 2009, 18:09
pikkuprinssi

Yes, the schedule is far complete with 5 required some days but
hardly enough work for 4 at times. I trust some more routes or
drastic re-scheduling.

conti onepass

When they fell out with BHX they moved my flight to EMA and
did not want to refund me when I turned down their kindly offer.

A letter from the AUC and Trading Standards soon changed their
thinking and the money was back in my bank account after a week.

Luckily I had not paid for the hotel and there was no cancellation fee.

Pete

airbourne
21st Aug 2009, 18:13
Its after 5pm, shouldnt you and all the other ryanair employess that work in the offices gone home for the weekend. It makes no difference, very clearly FR are at fault, so refund the customer that doesnt want to fly from Liverpool.

I have posed this question before. How many more airports can Ryanair piss off and leave over airport charges before it gets to the stage that they risk serious revenue loss to themselves?

You can only be the bully for so long before you yourself gets kicked down!

flying_shortly
21st Aug 2009, 18:19
I don't work for Ryanair btw... Just think it's silly getting so worked up. Time enough to make new arrangements. Life's for living, working around obstacles and not for moaning!

As far as I know all affected pax have been offered refunds. Don't like it? Change airline.

Euroboy39
21st Aug 2009, 18:38
That is a really ridiculous attitude. If you book a service with a provider, you expect that service as stated, i.e. from the airport you expect, to the destination you expect, on the date you expect (regardless of legal smallprint, this is the serive you expect!).

However, what must upset these passengers who have booked flights from Manchester, is that FR charged passengers for a service listed as "confirmed" on reservations. This implies that Ryanair have full intention to fly the route. However, contracts for this period between FR and its supplier (MAN) had not been finalised and FR were selling tickets based on an assumption (yes, certainly no more than an assumption) that MAN would charge the rates FR was willing to pay. A company with more regard for its passengers would have either (a) negotiated with MAN in advance of selling tickets for a time period, or (b) sold tickets based on the assumption that they would have to pay (published) market rates to use airports. Of course, none of this was made clear to passengers, so yes, they have a right to feel upset.

Contrary to all FR defenders, not all passengers pay pennies for flights. Some will have payed decent money. Anyone who had paid for airport parking, train tickets to MAN, airport lounge usage, hotels, etc, are justified to feel let down by FR.

In the past year, I have moved from a position of defending FR as the champion of LCCs, to absolutely detesting its business practices. As a regular traveller, I'm not sure FR can afford to do the same to too many other frequent travellers.

conti onepass
21st Aug 2009, 19:01
if you dont work for ryanair how do you know all passengers av either been in formed or offered refunds!!! im really glad that some of us are appalled by ryanairs actions!!! we all need to take action now so manchster gets rid of the dublin flight as well!!! and i did not pay pennines for the flights either!!

flying_shortly
21st Aug 2009, 19:57
if you dont work for ryanair how do you know all passengers av either been in formed or offered refunds!!! im really glad that some of us are appalled by ryanairs actions!!! we all need to take action now so manchster gets rid of the dublin flight as well!!! and i did not pay pennines for the flights either!! Today 19:38

And if you did not pay pennies well maybe the fact you were able to travel such a route is because a certain percentage of your flight will have paid pennies. It's the business model. I don't mean to be rude if I was but just think some peeps are taking it a bit exteme....

CabinCrewe
21st Aug 2009, 20:43
Presumably EDI like at other stations mainstream carriers will now run a mile and cut services as FR muscle in...GSM, LH, Polish carriers etc...? The FR one trick pony like at STN

davidjohnson6
21st Aug 2009, 23:03
CabinCrewe - STN might not be the best comparison to EDI, since LH very much still serves London - it just happens to be from a different airport in the same metropolitan area.

A better comparison airport which has had a substantial Ryanair service for a significant period of time, is the sole airport for a medium sized urban area, doesn't act as the principal base for an airline with a large number of planes, and can attract inbound tourism might perhaps be Marseille or Porto.

I don't know much about route changes in the last few years at MRS or OPO - if you have any knowledge of this, I'm sure we'd be very interested to hear how you think Edinburgh might look in a few years time.

Ray Webster
22nd Aug 2009, 07:43
Stansted called Ryanairs bluff. Manchester has followed. The path is now clear for every other UK airport. Stand up to these bullies and they crumble. Good luck with those 737-800's at Leeds with a Cat 1 ILS....

O Leary has a whole load of new aircraft arriving and nowhere to put them - airport owners know this.

RAY

HOODED
22nd Aug 2009, 08:50
"Good luck with those 737-800's at Leeds with a Cat 1 ILS...."

Sorry but LBA has Cat 3 on 32 and whilst 14 is currently Cat 1 they are looking to upgrade it to Cat 2/3 as part of the investment Bridgepoint are doing.

Facelookbovvered
22nd Aug 2009, 10:14
Its well know at Leeds that the worst vis is with a S/E wind and 14 is CAT one only, 3.3 slope and the max autoland for most types is 3.25% so its unlikely to get CAT3

Like wise a 8-10 knt TWC on 32 CAT3 is very limiting on autoland

harbour cotter
22nd Aug 2009, 10:17
This is childish abuse. Get real. Dont fly the with the airline if you dont want to.

If I had a choice of airlines, at the same price, going to the same desitnations, then yes, I would use another airline. However, to date, that has only occurred once on any of the many flights I have used.

People use Ryanair for many reasons, not just cost. However, if on cost alone, and I use Ryanair for business and pleasure, the money saved means that I utilise the airport lounge and upgrade the hotel I am staying in. The flight is merely the means of getting there. (I actually enjoy flying with another low cost over even full fares (easyjet as the crew can be quite funny!)).

However, for the majority of times it means getting me to the destination I require without lengthy ground transport or changes of aircraft and at a good price.

Yes, the customer satisifaction is poor, yes not having rear seat stowage for your papers etc is awkward, but hey, its a minor thing. I would prefer that all airlines publish the full fares and then provide 'discounts' if you dont wish x and y etc. which ryanair does badly. But regular pax know this. I appreciate that if you are not a regular user, and perhaps been used to being spoonfed on a charter flight, and with a few children in tow, then the experience would seem like a nightmare.

I have flown hundreds of times, many times with RYR and they have only been more than 20 minutes late once. And yes, I do know that the flight times are actually less that the published times so that provides leeway.

I also agree however that it is totally wrong to change airports, and pax should be better compensated. But lounge, train and other costs can be refunded. I appreciate that this does not take into account the other hassle. However, I have flown 8 times with flybe, 2 flights were over 30 mins late and 2 flights were transferred to another airport which I cancelled as inconvenient. But its business and I dont go on about it. (The stewardess was nice though - does that count?)

Dont like something? then dont use it. If pax stopped using ryanair they would do something about it, I'm sure. But that doesnt seem to be happening.

sealink
22nd Aug 2009, 10:51
I see a Ryanair A/C parked remote across the BHD airfield this morning. They must have suffered a tech flight. Either that or they dont want it any more !!

Runway 31
22nd Aug 2009, 10:57
I belive that there may have been an accident involving the said aircraft and a vehicle.

Coquelet
22nd Aug 2009, 11:10
Ryanair and the sort of people who use Ryanair deserve one another really.....

@ AFSKAP : who do you take yourself for ?
Not for "la queue d'une poire" , it seems !

McBruce
22nd Aug 2009, 11:42
Generally CAT 3 gives slow movement of air, lack of wind to stir up the fog to low stratus, so its not very often you're restricted by a max tailwind condition in CAT3.

IJM
22nd Aug 2009, 17:10
Yes, the customer satisifaction is poor, yes not having rear seat stowage for your papers etc is awkward, but hey, its a minor thing.

So, the poor customer satisfaction is a "minor thing"?

dublin_eire
22nd Aug 2009, 17:16
Yes, the customer satisifaction is poor, yes not having rear seat stowage for your papers etc is awkward, but hey, its a minor thing.I don't know. I remember travelling with Ryanair through Dublin and one of the guys at the gate checking my ticket and passport called me by my first name and wished me a good flight. I always say hello to the cabin crew and they always say hello back. I think if you treat them like people and are friendly you'll be more than satisfied with the staff's treatment.

I reckon much of the problems are caused by people not knowing Ryanair's policies. If you know them and work around them they are a fine airline to fly with. Like for instance, I remember travelling with two bags and booked as such but assumed wrongly that the baggage allowance increased with the number of bags put on. But sure, I put that down to experience and still fly with Ryanair because I think I save a lot of money using them and go to places I wouldn't otherwise (referring to prices, not the far flung airports:})....

eu01
23rd Aug 2009, 10:47
Today the Maltese Independent online publishes the second part (http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=93027) of its interesting route analysis in case the deal was signed and proposed new base in Luqa opened.

PS. For me this article written by Matthias A. Merzhäuser is a much more interesting lecture than some texts above. AFSKAP, doing your best to offend Ryanair's foreign workers? Don't bother, your "hello" will be understood, but will you understand "f** off" in Lithuanian? Your "weekend break to Bydgosczc" is likely to fail, with a keyword written this way you'll find on the internet nothing at all. Try Bydgoszcz. Or go to Wikipedia to find more about a World Heritage site nearby, the Medieval Town of Toruń (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torun).

Skipness One Echo
23rd Aug 2009, 12:02
but will you understand "f** off" in Lithuanian?

No but I bet my bottom dollar Ryanair employ a lot of people who know that. As I said before, the English of one UK domestic crew was so bad the passengers laughed all the way through the safety demo. We thought they were parodying Borat in all honesty. There is no way there was any confidence in that crew believe me.
Good to know you advocate slyly swearing at your customers in a foreign launguage. That's classy, really.

eu01
23rd Aug 2009, 12:22
Good to know you advocate slyly swearing at your customers in a foreign launguage.Not at all, really. Once, however, I wish I could have intercepted the thoughts of two flight attendants resolving a quarrel started by some stag-party members aboard the plane. They acted very professionally and didn't say anything, but their thoughts might have been very close to the above. I criticize FR myself on some occasions, but please find better reasons to mock the crews.

BALLSOUT
23rd Aug 2009, 12:22
The safety demo is played over the P A by a pre recorded system, It's available in any language that is relevant to any particular flight. I agree that some of the cabin crew may not be the clearest English speakers, but their command of langages still puts most Brits to shame!
I have also travelled on many B A flights when the P A anouncements were made in poor English by the foreign cabin crew.

Seat62K
23rd Aug 2009, 12:58
Poor customer satisfaction?

I am a very satisfied customer of Ryanair and can't see what all the fuss is about.

LPFR
23rd Aug 2009, 13:56
Me neither. Flew 6 times with them this year, have another trip booked next month, and never had problems with anything. I understand that delays are not nice, and if there is any cancellation I'd be pissed myself. But as long as the flight operates more or less on time, I don't care much about how nice or not the crew are, if they're english is perfect or not, the free seating policy, the food, IFE or which airports they use..People only book to their destinations and on ryanair.com if they want to, and you should know what you may expect and not.

racedo
23rd Aug 2009, 14:01
I am a very satisfied customer of Ryanair and can't see what all the fuss is about.

One or two ex employees who spend all their time on an anonymous blog bitching about them.

Think it was Hitchens / Chomsky or one of US commentators who likened ex employees bitching for years on Anonymous blogs as,

"Like the 16 year old virgin who got a dance with a beautiful girl once at a summer festival dance, then spends years bitching and complaining why this girl never loved him. Frankly she danced with who ever asked her and then got on with life while Loser hates her, forgetting she has no idea whom he is and cares even less as she went off and did something useful with her life."

PIK3141
23rd Aug 2009, 14:05
Latest flight yesterday, calm boarding at STN, newish aircraft, perfectly acceptable crew, ontime arrival at PIK, no problems what-so-ever. Just my normal experience in around 100 round-trips from PIK, EDI, STN and LTN......

rapidman47
23rd Aug 2009, 18:07
Poor customer satisfaction?

I am a very satisfied customer of Ryanair and can't see what all the fuss is about. Just silly people who hate a good buisness and the man who made it happen without him Mol and Easys Stellos we would all still be paying £400 for a trip to Paris:D And they all know I am right

pee
24th Aug 2009, 12:56
There are also some other reasons why people are disappointed. For example, if their expectations are too big or even legitimate, but unfullfilled. Like here in Finland. It's pointless to cite you the Finnish-language texts, but I'll translate some opinions from travel forums (from last weekend).

"There is probably no other country in Europe where Ryanair are so slow to develop (as in Finland). They came here in 2003, still just one airport and only 8 routes (from/to the country). To Poland they came two years later; look: 8 airports, 70 routes already..

And in another thread:

"We want them in Turku

"We want them in Helsinki

"Helsinki? No way. They couldn't afford the high airport fees in Vantaa.

And here is a good point of the discussion:

"They will certainly refuse to pay such fees here. But you know what? It's actually one of a very few airlines that could afford to pay these fees. Contrary to many others.

Leofric
24th Aug 2009, 13:19
Pee, surely the problem for Ryanair is that your lovely country only has 5 or 6 million people in a large area and most of them are not very far from Helsinki Vantaa?

24th Aug 2009, 13:52
I've always been a little surprised that Ryanair doesn't offer flights from Skavsta to various Finnish airports, particularly those in the Swedish speaking areas. You'd think it would have a double advantage as the flights would be so short that you could easily squeeze extra utilisation out of an aircraft.

dublin_eire
24th Aug 2009, 14:26
I don't know, too repetitive, too tedious, too irrelevant......http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif
So many good reasons, we'll never know for sure......:rolleyes:

But the anti-Ryanair posts subsequent to their withdrawal from Manchester weren't?

I'm not going to beat around the bush. I know there are many here that do like Ryanair but I also get the feeling there are a lot of middle aged English people who have a gripe with a successful Irish airline doing well in a recession and dictating employment terms. That may be a contoversial thing to say but I'd be happy to be proven wrong....

Facelookbovvered
24th Aug 2009, 15:21
No i don't agree with that. England is one of only a few Countries in the world where your origin is no block on how well you do. We have lots of succesful companies from Japan, Germany,India and the USA, they are succesful mainly because of the quality of the product, not inspite of it!

Don't get me wrong Ryanair gets you to where you are going normally on time and with a very high dispatch rate, this is off the back of new equipment and driving (not motivating) their employee's, or more accurately their sub-contractors.

It is if anything goes wrong that sets Ryanair apart from other succesful companies, can one imagin Toyota or Mercedes saying the crap that MOL sprouts or treating complaints with utter contempt? or driving delivery lorries around with Bye Bye GM,

So no its nothing to do with Ryanair being Irish, the English by and large have a fondness for most things Irish, in fact most things that aren't English

I think MOL brings shame on the Irish Nation, reminds me of the tarmac pikey gangs that prey on the old and stupid. Being civil costs next to nothing

dublin_eire
24th Aug 2009, 17:11
How else do you explain the mods deleting Ryanair's positive posts and not deleting any negative posts? The positive posts were generally well made points where there were some posts made by people looking for petitions to get rid of Ryanair at Manchester last Friday which were plain ridiculous. I think the mods have some explaining to do! I'm not exclusively pro-Ryanair but think people have an agenda here (referring to the mods)!

Are the mods Balpa members by any chance???

al446
24th Aug 2009, 17:52
I am of Scots/Irish descent living in England but consider my self primarily European. I have no bias at all against Eire or anything Irish simply because of its origins, I have spent many fine times in Ireland, mostly on the west coast. But I detest RYR for their attitude to PAX, they make the term 'SLF' almost dignified, and think that their attitude towards employees stinks, otherwise the idea of a BRK contract within an airline would be unthinkable.
I would also steer clear of bad mouthing mods if I were you.

dublin_eire
24th Aug 2009, 18:36
Well, if posts have been deleted because they are known Ryanair trolls then that should be stated. The mod's have to be transparent if we are to have balanced debates...

I'm not saying all the attacks here are anti-Irish because people are anti-Ryanair but I do find the terms people use to describe Ryaniar as biggoted and offensive. I'm Irish, obviously, but hearing people referring to individuals and groups of people as 'pikies' and other such connotations is unacceptable and not very intelligent. I don't see the mods doing anything to stop people using such language.

Here is the transparency you seek: None of the AA&R Forum moderators have the slightest interest for or against Ryanair. We moderate threads, we don't participate in love/hate fests over a bloody airline.

The posts that have been deleted have generally contained personal attacks or have exceeded our fairly liberal standards of good taste.

Interestingly, a search of this forum shows that the only use of the word "pikies" was in this post. If you find a term you consider ethnically disparaging feel free to use the "Report This Post" function.

Cheers,
The Mods

eu01
24th Aug 2009, 18:53
Quotation of the day (my choice)"Michael O'Leary is a cheap tailor. He has allowed a lot of people to buy clothes at affordable prices, but done nothing for the tailoring profession." The European Regions Airline Association (ERA) Director General Mike Ambrose about Ryanair's CEO

It's probably one of the reasons why all these opinions about FR differ so much.

@Finland(the) country only has 5 or 6 million people in a large area and most of them are not very far from Helsinki VantaaCompare, the Republic of Ireland only has 4.5 million people and most of them are not very far from Dublin. And the Dublin Airport is not much cheaper.
Well, DUB could be an exemption from the "marketing support" rule, elsewhere required.

But apart from that, Ryanair's chance in Finland might be elsewhere: the Russians from across the border (and to some extent St. Petersburg for the Westerners). So far FR do not seem to share that opinion.

racedo
24th Aug 2009, 18:57
Dublin Eire

You make a fair point and there has been a succession of posters who seem to believe they have the right to abuse all and sundry just because they disagree with a business. If you don't like them don't use them.

Aside from CIA rendition flights there are few flights where people are forced against their will to travel on.

Mods generally do a good job but like everyone they are not without bias.

It clearly galls many to see Ryanair suceeding again and again while their own favourites fall to pieces.

MOL has clearly refused to buy into the UK media lovie scene and become part of the estabishment which galls the media even more as they can't claim to have made somebody before they destroy it.

Its visible again and again where one Ryanair incident gets blown out of proportion where the same thing happening to BA / Easyjet gets ignored.

What the detractors can't cope with is that month after month Ryanair continues to grow and the eminent demise merchants keep having to come up with more and more excuses why they continue to succeed.

Racedo, we value your spirited discussion. However, an Administrator of the Site explained the situation in terms of Ryanair moderation in a few posts above. Your third paragraph appears to be ignoring that. Please stay focussed on the Ryanair discussion and not on the moderation.

What is a pikie?

Thank you
AA&R Moderators

al446
24th Aug 2009, 19:23
I don't see the mods doing anything to stop people using such language.

Incorrect. Within the last month I described MOL in mildly disparaging terms and mods issued a mild rebuke in the form of a reminder of site rules.

thetimesreader84
24th Aug 2009, 19:30
I don't have a problem with Ryanair driving down the cost of flying.

I do have a problem with being abused, insulted, taken for every penny i've got on late, dirty aeroplanes, with little or no ability to complain, to airports that are miles away from where I want to be, whilst watching the terms and conditions of employment of an industry I belong to driven down to the absolute rock bottom.

That is why I will never fly with Ryanair again, no matter how cheap the price, for business or pleasure.

I will be happy to see MOL lose all his money. I would wish the same on RYR, except I would be sad to see colleagues lose their jobs. I will settle for never seeing MOL's mug or name in the media ever again.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The above are mine.

TTR

TSR2
24th Aug 2009, 19:47
Quote:
"Michael O'Leary is a cheap tailor. He has allowed a lot of people to buy clothes at affordable prices, but done nothing for the tailoring profession."

The European Regions Airline Association (ERA) Director General Mike Ambrose about Ryanair's CEO

But there again, neither have Primark.

dublin_eire
24th Aug 2009, 19:49
Incorrect. Within the last month I described MOL in mildly disparaging terms and mods issued a mild rebuke in the form of a reminder of site rules.
Glad to hear it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The above are mine.
Exactly, that is the very point I was making only we be different sides of the fence... And, you made your point without losing the run of your tongue.

frfly
24th Aug 2009, 19:58
To change the topic slightly -

Its still worrying that the winter schedule is very messy. I was browsing EDI for example and there are gaps all over the place.

Any ideas on when this is to be finalised, as were only a few months away!

racedo
24th Aug 2009, 21:28
I do have a problem with being abused, insulted, taken for every penny i've got on late, dirty aeroplanes, with little or no ability to complain, to airports that are miles away from where I want to be, whilst watching the terms and conditions of employment of an industry I belong to driven down to the absolute rock bottom.

Given FR on time perfomance is pretty much streets ahead of everybody else then must be fun flying with others.

racedo
24th Aug 2009, 22:16
If I might be so bold as to refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier on the subject of Ryanair's punctuality..

The gent quoted delays not cancellations as he quoted getting on a plane late, difficult to do if its cancelled.

Guess you really fit the ex employee on a blog bit.

thetimesreader84
24th Aug 2009, 22:16
Racedo: I know RYR's OTP is allegedly very good (I have seen the statistics), however i have been on half a dozen RYR flights and never once been on time. I have also had one flight cancelled. I can only speak from my experience.

Other operators are certainly comparable. I have never been inconvenienced by any of the other airlines I have flown with. And it is certainly a lot more fun not to have CC on the tannoy every 30 seconds trying to sell me things.

TTR

racedo
24th Aug 2009, 22:18
And it is certainly a lot more fun not to have CC on the tannoy every 30 seconds trying to sell me things.Given the level of exagerration you are using here the rest of stuff posted needs same "question mark".

thetimesreader84
24th Aug 2009, 22:38
Ok, every 30 seconds is an exaggeration. Would "an excessive number of times per hour" suit?

TTR

racedo
24th Aug 2009, 22:42
The reason we had very few delays was because when a tech delay was inevitable, they simply "cancelled" that flight and then put it on again once the problem was solved....No doubt you can provide the stats to back that up.

Seljuk22
25th Aug 2009, 08:07
Anyone know where FR will base all the a/c they'll withdraw from STN (40>24), DUB (17>14) and SNN (4>3) next winter?
Looks like MAD (6>12), NYO (6>9) and BRE (3>4 maybe 5) gaining some a/c but I think HHN (11>8), GRO (10>8), ALC (6>4), PSA (6>5), PIK (5>4), REU (3>2) and AHO (2>1) could lose some.
The rest should be the same.

eu01
25th Aug 2009, 17:21
On September 7th, after the extraordinary meeting of Aeroporti di Puglia, it should become official. One of the two airports, Bari or Brindisi, will be chosen as the next Italian base of Ryanair. At least that's what claims the local news portal (http://www.brundisium.net/notizie/shownotiziaonline.asp?id=26648) there. According to their estimation, the amount of connections between Puglia (Apulia) and the rest of Europe would increase from 12 flights (from Bari and Brindisi at present) to about 26.

Master_Dn
25th Aug 2009, 17:22
Porto will have 4 a/c during winter. 3 in September and at least one more in November

Based
26th Aug 2009, 20:55
Decision time take 2 Irish people, Michael's spending more than €500,000 on it:)

INKJET
26th Aug 2009, 22:05
Which part of NO didn't the EU understand? perhaps they should apply the same rule as any BALPA vote try again in three years?

So Europe came to the rescue of Irelands over heated asset bubble!!

This will be the same MOL that is alaways lambasting EU regulation, well Micky boy be careful what you wish for, it wont belong before aviation is centre stage of the EU's green tax rise's, perhaps he think that by supporting the vote he can call in a few favour's when Aer Lingus comes up again, not sure Ryanair shareholders will see this as a good use of funds

Vote yes and get a free ticket,plus taxes & charges, er i think i'll catch the ferry the air is fresher

flying_highover
26th Aug 2009, 22:20
I get the impression MOL really cares about Ireland. Anytime he's interviewed he talks highly of Ireland and how much he loves it. I repect his opinion on this. I voted 'no' first time round but was thinking of voting 'yes' this time. I think he's got it right. It would do no favours for Ireland to vote 'no' again. We've gotten what we can from negotiations and the last thing we'd want is to go to bed with the BNP or Consevatives again on this issue!

flying_highover
26th Aug 2009, 22:56
Well, probably, most importantly for me we got the right to chose how much we get involved with the new European Defense strategy. And no matter what conditions are put on countries to help out other EU countries if attacked by an aggressor we still have the right to maintain our neutrality.

Also, unfortunatey, enshrined is the right to decide ourselves on abortion and right to life. Can we not sort out our own mistakes in that regard instead of forcing our women to take their troubles to foreign lands?

Taxation and education will remain within our demain.

The only thing I have a problem with is the qualified majority margin reduces from 74% to 50% and no less than 4 countries can object to a motion. I just wonder how that will affect the small countries objecting when the larger countries all agree....

Things do need to be reformed. I don't think it's a complete change to the way the EU thinks and acts as it does now. It's just streamlining and becoming more effective.

27th Aug 2009, 07:38
"But Mr O’Leary’s cheeky claims that Ryanair was spending €500,000 to support a yes vote were exposed as he had to admit that €300,000 of the fund was going towards a seat sale promotion."

| Irish Examiner (http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/cowen-has-been-found-sadly-wanting-over-the-last-12-months-99543.html)

Centrefire
27th Aug 2009, 11:02
Late last year, flights from Stansted to Balaton (Hungary) were withdrawn, is there any chance that these flights may be restarted, even from another British airport?

davidjohnson6
27th Aug 2009, 17:21
Centrefire - visiting Lake Balaton in summer is not really that popular amongst UK residents - Germans are more into that kind of thing. Further, the area around Balaton airport is thinly populated, meaning there aren't many Hungarian residents who would see it as their local airport. This suggests that there may not be enough demand for the UK-Balaton route to be commercially viable compared to other possible routes.

Centrefire
28th Aug 2009, 09:51
DJ6, thanks for that. I understand what you say, but I flew this route quite a few times and the planes were almost always full, or nearly full. Is that bit the problem? Does Ryanair have to have the plane completely full to make a profit?

eu01
28th Aug 2009, 15:00
flights from to Balaton (Hungary)I think pretty soon will be created a solution for Ryanair (and you), the Alba Airport in the vicinity of Szekesfehervar. It is ideally located between Budapest and lake Balaton, 60 km from the capital city. Here is the English-language information (http://www.szekesfehervar.hu/index.php?pg=news_50896) (they claim "Szekesfehervar can build the most modern low cost carrier terminal in Central Europe (http://www.szekesfehervar.hu/index.php?pg=news_50896)"). Dated Nov. 2008. Well, they say it could be ready in the first half of 2010, but as Hungarian is a pretty difficult tongue to most Europeans I've had some problems with updating the status of this project. Anybody knows more?

anna_list
28th Aug 2009, 15:41
Hi,

For those that are interested, I've just done a quick check of the stats.
Average flown load factors were as follows:

STN-SOB 2008: 37k pax, LF: 76%
STN-SOB 2007: 45k pax, LF: 78%
STN-SOB 2006: 29k pax, LF: 77%

NRN-SOB 2008: 14k pax, LF: 67%
HHN-SOB 2008: 22k pax, LF: 69%
HHN-SOB 2007: 29k pax, LF: 61%

The German loads were pretty weak and highly seasonal, so it isn't difficult to see why these got canned quite quickly.

The Stansted flights were showing decent loads (very close to the overall average for Ryanair at Stansted), however one can only assume that the yields were very weak.

Personally, I would be very surprised if these flights were restarted and even more surprised to see services to Balaton from anywhere else in the UK. However, Alba Airport mentioned above (thanks eu01) might have more potential.

Centrefire
29th Aug 2009, 07:54
Balaton.

Helpful, informative posts from most, thanks.
As usual, negative pointless statements from another poster, but then, I suppose 'Szekesfehervar' does have quite a few syllables and sounds very foreign.

ConstantFlyer
29th Aug 2009, 14:43
Székesfehérvár does indeed have a lot of syllables. Here's how to pronounce it: (Say-kesh-fay-hair-var). I don't know how it would fare as a Ryanair or other lo-co base, but in pronunciation terms it could eclipse Polish stalwarts of mispronunciation at the boarding gate such as Wrocław (pron. Vrats-wav), Bydgoszcz (Bid-gosh-ch) and Rzeszów (Rr-jesh-oof).

Seat62K
29th Aug 2009, 16:00
I think Murcia pronounced as "Mercia" is hard to beat, especially as the English Midlands is some distance from south east Spain!

johnnychips
29th Aug 2009, 21:44
No, the annoying one is when Doncaster is pronounced "Chef-field' by the electric voice at Girona :). The human one gets it right.

rafinha130
30th Aug 2009, 22:36
Does anybody have a guess which new routes will be announced next thursday by MOL in the OPO base presentation?

The 2 base planes still have just half schedule fullfil.

SVQ, SXF, BLQ, CIA, LIS, FNC are my guesses.

Seljuk22
31st Aug 2009, 07:46
Post #5631

Porto will have 4 a/c during winter. 3 in September and at least one more in November
There have to be a lot of new routes if this is true.
FR announced that MAD and BVA op. by OPO based a/c but if you look at the timetable the flights op. by MAD based a/c (until 25th Oct it's from OPO but then from MAD) and the mrning flight to BVA it's: NYO-BVA-OPO-BVA-NYO.

tHOmMY777
31st Aug 2009, 17:02
@Rafinha: Ryanair doens't fly to LIS...

rafinha130
31st Aug 2009, 17:40
Not yet... maybe starting next winter with domestic operation to Porto.

Ryanair is very interested to start flying to the Madeira Islands as well.

toledoashley
31st Aug 2009, 17:58
What about Ponta Delgada as well?

rafinha130
31st Aug 2009, 18:44
It seems so, according to an interview published in a weelky national newspaper - SOL.

"Reports have emerged that Ryanair is in negotiations with Portuguese airport management company ANA – Airports of Portugal to establish new routes within the country, namely to and from Lisbon and the Portuguese islands of Madeira and the Azores, as well as creating a second base for its fleet, possibly Lisbon.
However, while it has been confirmed that the budget carrier is in negotiations with various airports throughout Europe as part of an upcoming expansion plan, none within Portugal have been singled out or confirmed as new bases or destinations.A Ryanair source reportedly told SOL that a low cost route between Lisbon and its current national base Oporto was in the making, should negotiations be successful, and that the airline was interested in furthering its investment in this country by expanding its flights to Madeira and the Azores.
Lisbon’s Portela Airport could also become a new Ryanair base, should negotiations create the appropriate conditions.
“Besides Lisbon, we are very interested in the possibility of entering Portugal’s islands”, the source told SOL.
Daniel de Carvalho, Ryanair’s European Communications Manager, told The Portugal News, “Ryanair is talking with ANA about all of ANA’s airports”, but added, “Ryanair is also in talks with well above 100 other airports in Europe to accommodate Ryanair’s expansion over the coming months”.
Regarding the suggested domestic Lisbon-Oporto route, he explained that, “logistically, the only route that could be served domestically to any airport in Portugal (including Lisbon) must start in Oporto since that’s the [company’s] only base [in this country]”. The same applies to any other domestic route, such as flights to and from Madeira and the Azores".