Charleroi - La Rochelle
Memmingen - Alghero
Memmingen - Dublin
Memmingen - Stanstead
Memmingen - Alicante
Memmingen - Pisa
Memmingen - Gerona
Memmingen - Reus

Memmingen is new. Could this be a new base?

alm1
18th Mar 2009, 07:25
Will Memmingen be called Munich-Memmingen?

jqjjq
18th Mar 2009, 07:25
It appears not, as all flights there are from already established bases.

frnikolai
18th Mar 2009, 07:49
Thank you for you're posts, I think we are going to have to wait and see which airlines fall first. But it won't be FR.

I don't think FR will get BCN, as Iberia is well established there. I think they might start operating a bus company over there - like Sweeden.

Nikolai.

P.S

Iberia is owned by the Spanish Goverment.

apaul
18th Mar 2009, 09:12
Tuifly fly from Memmingen, but mainly to German and Italian destinations so Ryanair is not taking them on directly. The new Memmingen - Dublin route exposes O'Leary's 'principled' stand against the Irish tourist tax as pure hogwash.

racedo
18th Mar 2009, 09:36
Yesterdays evening news on TV3, the main catalan station, led with a story about Ryanair being in negotiation with El Prat about opening a base there. Anyone heard anything about this?

Montilla es felicita perquè Ryanair vulgui establir una base permanent a l'aeroport del Prat (http://www.3cat24.cat/noticia/365472/catalunya/Montilla-es-felicita-perque-Ryanair-vulgui-establir-una-base-permanent-a-laeroport-del-Prat)

Could be an example of Ryan choosing their moment to pressure the airport on costs, new terminal about to open and all.

David

I'm only reposting what TripleRotor who is Catalonia posted. They apparently also sent a reporter to Dublin where MOL stated that any new flights would not impact on Girona or Reus.

Reading the press releases and trade media its clear that FR will be in the primary airports maybe not with the low costs enjoyed elsewhere but thats just a tinkering of business model. They don't have mega low costs everywhere.

Skipness One Echo
18th Mar 2009, 09:42
P.S Iberia is owned by the Spanish Goverment.

Once again you are showing a basic inability to deal with key facts. Iberia was privatised ages ago. At least *TRY* and get a grip on what you're posting please.

Gold Rivet
18th Mar 2009, 11:15
Just a though. Ryanair de-camping (albeit) slowly from DUB and Ireland in general could be a pre-curser to the next take over of Aer Lingus.

The Irish goverment/EU arguement that Ryanair would be a monopoly airline in Ireland if they purchase Aer Lingus would be rather weak when/if Aer Lingus themselves have become the monopoly airline.

A third take over attempt, if successful, would then only require the disposal of the A320s with B737s in Aer Lingus colours. (For a time?) And the problems of duplication over routes would have been sorted pre-take over.

The EU didn't block the last takeover attempt.
They made no finding because Ryanair withdrew the bid.
Thus, the takeover wasn't blocked by the EU. It was blocked by shareholders refusing to sell. That won't be changing.
If the EU want more competition at Dublin they can order Aer Lingus to allow in competition - well, they're welcome to come!

Nice theory then my friend, but it doesn't actually stand up.

The Real Slim Shady
18th Mar 2009, 11:28
Ask yourselves why MOL has been so tenacious in his efforts to acquire control of Aer Lingus ( my emphasis).

Think.

10 out of 10 for the most original, considered and correct answer.

befree
18th Mar 2009, 11:32
looking at the CAA data for Feb and I seem many so called low cost airports markely down even after allowing for snow and a day less. Other airlines are not going under and no void is opening up for FR to fill. Ryanair is also not going to get serious business traffic if it talks of the pay to go to the loo. No other EU will be avoided by so many.

racedo
18th Mar 2009, 12:04
Other airlines are not going under and no void is opening up for FR to fill.

You must live in a parallel universe as Excel, Sterling, etc etc went bust in 2008 and they impacting a lot of airports, additional Easyjet / Air Berlin cut lots of flights from Stansted and Easyjet from Bristol. On Birmingham thread the guys working there clearly stating that the 6.8% decline would be substantially more had FR not brought in 50k passengers in February.

Just because you want to believe it doesn't make it so.

malc4d
18th Mar 2009, 12:12
Anyone Know what days and times Ryanair fly this route...
Cant seem to get answer from web sit.

Thanks

boyzinblue
18th Mar 2009, 12:24
Memmingen is called Munich-West:ugh: 100 km west of Munich, FR should rename Weeze to Düsseldorf - North West

befree
18th Mar 2009, 12:41
The 50,000 that FR did from BHX will have been robbed from east mids, Coventry and other airlines at BHX. The cake is getting smaller and FR needs 15-20% growth per year. FR needed aliatila & Air Berlin to go under.

FR always reports seats sold instead of pax flown. It may turn out that passenger numbers are now in decline in many bases. New bases are needed just to make up the cut routes from old bases.

I suspect the 10 euro airport tax will go EU wide within 2 years. This would create a level tax across the EU.

iggie
18th Mar 2009, 13:42
Once Ryanair have completely done away with airport check-in for evermore what will be the cut off deadline for passengers with hold baggage to present themselves at the bag drop desk? I can't see any info about this anywhere.

I wonder if it will be the same as the current 40 minutes for airport check-in? Or maybe they haven't decided yet? Or maybe they haven't even given it a thought?

scrapy
18th Mar 2009, 14:00
according to the frequently asked questions on their website bags must be dropped (with all fees paid) at least 40 mins before departure, there is no indication this will change once check in desks are no more.

iggie
18th Mar 2009, 14:34
Thanks scrapy

Yes but I take it that this relates to the scenario of AIRPORT CHECK-IN which will from October no longer be available. So does anyone know for certain what the deadline for bag drop off will be from October after the abolition of airport check-in?

On looking at the Q & A on the website (and let's not ignore that both the Q's and the A's are set by FR) it is interesting to see that one is allowed to bring a parachute on board. I wonder whether anyone on here has done this?

pikkuprinssi
18th Mar 2009, 15:18
CRL-SCQ also been announced (no trace on the booking system nor in the route map though) while
CRL-TRN turns into an annual route.

Ryanair.com - News : 1 New Aircraft, 5 New Routes and 3m Passengers p.a. (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=mar&story=rte-en-180309-2)

Seljuk22
18th Mar 2009, 15:51
A word to CRL: 8th a/c from June with 5 new routes (Brindisi, La Rochelle, Palma, Santiago and Turin) and increased frequencies to Fez, Manchester, Marseille and Riga.

frnikolai
18th Mar 2009, 17:42
I don't think bag-drop desks will disappear, as this brings in a lot of money for FR. £28.50 for one to take a bag. BA, have done the check-in online, bag drop procedure for a long time now; used that service myself. It saves time!

The web-check in charge, has got to be free with no bags; otherwise how is this optional?

I was on a FR flight to Spain on Boxing Day, and there was around 6-8 sky divers. And they were travelling in all their gear, with the parachute on their back! Must be so that they can say that shoot has been with them for the whole journey; no room for tampering or damages. That's my best geuss logically!

Also, has anyone noticed that on a FR flight a queue starts to form at the stairs as the crew check boarding cards; again. Once at check-in, security, gate, and at the stairs?

It was awful standing there in the rain whilst they did that stupid check.

Nikolai.

frfly
18th Mar 2009, 17:48
This "stupid" check is needed as the Ryanair boarding procedure is very quick and can be open to error. Cabin crew checking boarding cards is the last chance to check the right person is boarding the right flight. It has reduced the amount of boarding delays system wide.

Memmingen - it was only a matter of time before a move was made there. I would expect a base within 12 to 18 months.

EDI also looks to be growing to a 5th A/C this summer, although not released yet. Obviously a strong seller for FR.

frnikolai
18th Mar 2009, 18:29
But why check at the gate then? Then the short-ish walk from the gate to the aircraft; which is most cases is a left turn, forward, right turn, forward, then just the walk to the aircraft. Where a queue is forming, and they check the card; again.

I don't mind security, just not pointless security.

And yes it is stupid; hardly much room for error on a near straight line walk?

Nikolai.

brian_dromey
18th Mar 2009, 18:37
This check is done by every airline I can think of. What seems to be your objection to it? It seems to be standard procedure around the world to check your BP at

1) The security area (to prevent unauthorized access to the airside areas)
2) The boarding gate (so boarding staff can identify who has turned up and who has not and to prevent any randomer walking around the ramp)
3) The aircraft door to make sure the right person is on the right aircraft, going to the right place.
4) Headcount - to check the passengers boarded matches the manifest.

I don't think I have ever been on a flight where this sequence of events has not happened and I'm fine with it. Keep your photo ID and PB handy at all times and very little of your precious time will be wasted. FR boards its aircraft so quickly anyway that it should not be an issue!

Brian.

frnikolai
18th Mar 2009, 18:43
On flights where they use the tunnel (can't think of the word) which connects to the aircraft door, they don't usually check. No reason, walked from the gate down to the plane!

Well if it is standard procedure then that's fine I geuss, just thought it could be simpler!

Nikolai.

eu01
18th Mar 2009, 18:43
Following a meeting in Brussels between Transport Commissioner Antonio Tajani and Ryanair's Chief Executive Michael O'Leary, the European Commission have agreed to a series of meetings discussing the development of European aviation, the commission said today. The issues to discuss in a set of technical meetings starting from April 2009 will include "air traffic in Europe, the development of the aviation sector in the internal market and the role of regional airports."

frnikolai
18th Mar 2009, 18:56
Will that mean more flights to non-EU zoned countries? And a fixed tax rate for all airports. e.g €25 for major airports, and €15 for smaller airports?

eu01
18th Mar 2009, 19:25
Hei, Nickyboy, what did you actually comment now and on what basis? Aren't you too fast to draw your own conclusions garnishing them with some too simplified assumptions? What if you tried to deepen your knowledge first?

Skipness One Echo
18th Mar 2009, 20:25
In my last flights the checks was not done by NWA, Swiss, KLM, Air France to name but four. Tis a UK and Ireland thing I believe. PARANOIA!!!!!

This check is done by every airline I can think of. What seems to be your objection to it? It seems to be standard procedure around the world to check your BP at

The objection is that double checking at the end of the AIRBRIDGE ( frnikolai take note....... ) makes the check at 10 seconds earlier superfluous. Again tis only us officious jobsworths and bureaucratic brits that do this I believe.

super737
18th Mar 2009, 20:51
Well actually for the BPs to be checked as often as possible is very good. Increases security and safety and minimises delays. Ive seen instances where passengers have boarded wrong flights and slipped through the net plenty of times only for the crew to send em back.

Whats wrong with airlines increasing security. If a wrong pax boards a flight its a security concearn! I have seen skippers offload whole flights for this, just like if a pax takes ill on board the surrounding area must be searched heavily.

Just my two cents worth!

firstchoice7e7
18th Mar 2009, 22:45
well they did this on my FR flight STN-VST on Saturday, they still managed to bodge it up and have 3 extra on board :ugh:

EGAC_Ramper
19th Mar 2009, 11:09
Nikoloai.....

You may complain that checking at the door is stupid but I've seen PAX board the wrong planes all too often. I've seen BMI Baby pax boarding Ryanair, I've seen FlyBE pax boarding a Dash-8 with its engine stripped and Ryanair pax boarding BMI a/c, maybe there wouldn't be so much of a queue either if more people used the backstairs aswell! :ugh:

ONCALL
19th Mar 2009, 15:49
any current ryanair drivers who know when they will begin the new routes to the US? thanks OC.

Cyrano
19th Mar 2009, 16:30
any current ryanair drivers who know when they will begin the new routes to the US?
April 1, I believe - unless there is a delay fitting the multi-currency coin-op locks to the toilets, or if Bangor, Maine obstinately continues to refuse to be designated "New York North" for the booking engine.

:ugh:

ballyboley
19th Mar 2009, 17:08
Cyrano - gave me a good laugh!

h&s
19th Mar 2009, 21:04
this is a very old question which is funny to see coming back at regular interval
3 years ago, MOL said that Ryanair will have no other chance to enter sonner or later into main airports... we still wait (another stupid things he said in the right line of "we'll never fly to poland" "valencia is a profitable base" and cut it 3 or 4 months later etc etc)

There is currently a natural segmentation of the market. True, there are some marginal routes where they compete head to head with EZY, but these are peanuts - ryanair stays on secondary airport and easyjet on main airport.

I am quite sure both management are happy with that - even if there are both at MAD, even if they will have more competition in many Ryanair strongholds (with easyJet probably coming in BRU and FCO), this is still in line with the natural segementation of the market (BRU or FCO being main airports).
If ryanair comes to main airport, first easyJet is relatively safe in MXP, ORY and GVA. Then what it left: CDG (ryanair will never go to CDG for sure), BSL (why not, but curent routes are difficult) or SXF (a bloody competitive market already) - so at the end, no big risk for easyJet

If they go to BCN, then you have vueling and clickair that will do all they can to save their home market positions = bloodbath.

MOL knows very well (actually, quite sure he doesn't know lol) that if he starts to attack main airports where ezy is strong, then he takes the risk to have easyJet attacking its most profitable airport i.e. Dublin = then it won't be a bloodbath, but one of the biggest fare war ever seen in the history of aviation lol

And I am not sure ryanair will be the winner... Look at what happen currently in Rome or Milan, this is easyJet which is winning market shares. Look also at what happened in LPL: recently easyJet added an extra aircraft whereas ryanair trimmed one...

Ryanair busines model really doesn't fit with main airport in terms of cost base, taxi time, productivity, type of passenger, brain etc

I don't think 1sec that ryanair will start (and even less - be profitable) at BCN - but I obviously can be wrong

h&s
19th Mar 2009, 21:15
btw racedo you continue to copy and paste this article without taking enough distance with it

Since when airports announce the negociations they are running with airlines????
It's always a very very very confidential game, and I very rarely saw in the european aviation history an airport saying that there are great chances than X airline will open soon a base.
Well, why not, never say never, but it looks like very weird to me

Another possible explanation: BCN is ennoyed by clickair/vueling merger and recent reductions in capacities. They asked regularly these airlines to grow and as it didn't happen, their relations deteriorate over the last year. Then, what better arguments to use for BCN owners to make VY move than revealing current negociations with...Ryanair!

Pure supposition, but... who knows?
time will tell

positive
19th Mar 2009, 21:21
I can not see Easyjet starting any routes into Dublin while both Aer Lingus and Ryanair are so stronge with both having large bases in Dublin.Never mind MOL going on about the 10 euro tax Dublin is still very important to Ryanair's botton line.

h&s
19th Mar 2009, 21:34
that was an if sentence with many conditions positive ;-)

riptack
19th Mar 2009, 22:09
BMI (DUB-LHR) managed to enter the Dublin market and survive, despite going head to head with Aer Lingus and city to city with Ryanair. So maybe easyjet could depending on the destination.

19th Mar 2009, 22:58
Does anyone really believe the ryr spin about the Irish 10 euro departure tax?
If a route is that marginal,then should never have been there in the first place.
I think there are much more serious issues afoot here

Not even Homer would swallow that guff Micko

racedo
19th Mar 2009, 23:23
Since when airports announce the negociations they are running with airlines????

Good spot and I agree as it is unusual but CPH have also talked about it.

Many airports are being open in advertising for new routes.

Given the bloodbath that airlines have suffered over the last year then maybe its Aena using Ryanair to send a message.

The relationship between them in Reus and Gerona seems to be very good so its quite possible that FR were happy to allow themselves be used because it helps the whole company. Sometimes advertising the strategic intent can force a competitor to react in a way they didn't want and keep them out of a market that you want protecting.

All a bit Machievallean.

jettesen
20th Mar 2009, 01:08
Ok ....regarding baording passes.........On an airbridge there are 3 ways on to it.........by the gate, the stairs and the access stairs on the side
The crew see the pax for the first time at the a/c door, so who are they to know that the pax trying to board without showing their boarding card have walked str8 from the gate???? Ok so a pax boards the wrong plane, and this hasn't been picked up until the head count. Pax first has to be found, the a security search of the area the pax was sitting in, and all the lockers, floor area up to where he.she was sitting.....in other words sometimes quicker to get all pax off, security search and the get them back on!

After all it is called a BOARDING PASS, i.e you are boarding an aircraft hence you have to show it to the crew. Whats the big deal. You show it twice before you get to the aircraft. Security inspect it.......nothing to do with the sirline........the gate staff have a quick glance, but are more concerned with the passport, and finally the crew who are ONLY looking at the barding card , hence more likely to pick up on errors. I get at least 3 pax per day trying to board the wrong flight. Better safe than sorry.. and for the record air france/ KLM do check boarding passes on the plane. They tell you where you are going!!!!!!!

captplaystation
20th Mar 2009, 08:47
I think people are trying to read too much into a RYR move to BCN.
Like MAD before, I suspect they have realised that the opening of the new Terminal will give them an opportunity that may not present itself again in a hurry, so wish to avail themselves of it now.
Lots of aircraft coming too, and they have to put them somewhere.
A high percentage of GRO pax (particularly out of season ) are going to Barcelona, given the choice they will assumedly go direct , rather than pass via GRO/REU.
Where this leaves GRO/REU will become apparent at the end of Summer when the client mix tips towards Barcelona & away from Beach. I would be surprised if as many flights pass through the "minor" airports next Winter (if not before) despite the assurances given by MOL. The bookings (or lack of ) will be what determines the mix of flights shared amongst the 3 different bases, not promises. :=
With Easy/ Veuling offering flights direct to the main airport (rather than having a 1hr transfer ) Ryanair would have been very short sighted to let this one pass them by. As usual, they weren't. :hmm:

Based
20th Mar 2009, 13:55
Does anyone really believe the ryr spin about the Irish 10 euro departure tax?
If a route is that marginal,then should never have been there in the first place.
I think there are much more serious issues afoot here

So how exactly did you work out that if route is that marginal it shouldn't be there in the first place?! Their wouldn't be too many Ryanair routes around if you were in charge!

I think everyone understands that it's not only the €10 tax that's affecting the Ryanair reduction in Ireland. What I don't understand is how a lot of people don't seem to be accepting that it is having an impact! Recession or no recession, a €10 tax will have a negative impact on numbers - good for a fast government buck but not so good for the wider economy.

Sober Lark
20th Mar 2009, 14:18
I can see how a tenner would make a difference to a persons choice whether to travel or not.

If you get a fare for €10 then €10 becomes your expectation. Next time you want to fly anything more than that becomes expensive. If you add an extra €10 tax then a person does not see it as only a tenner they see it as a doubling of the fare. It's just human nature.

The punter doesn't care how much of what he or she pays goes where, they only care about the bottom line and that's how much they pay.

I assume Ryanair can subsidise the Irish Government tax by reducing the cost of their take on the return leg of the fare.

Sikpupi
20th Mar 2009, 17:01
Mick will earn a few bob by holding on to the Tax for all the no-shows etc!!! Easiest Tenner he'll ever make ...except for the no-show Tenners in the UK of course!!!

I do admit that the 'rest of the industry' seems to be very quiet on this new tax....Not just airlines, but Hoteliers, Tourism Groups etc. MOL is out there on he own on this ...what isn't the country backing him up on same!!

en2r
20th Mar 2009, 17:43
I do admit that the 'rest of the industry' seems to be very quiet on this new tax....Not just airlines, but Hoteliers, Tourism Groups etc. MOL is out there on he own on this ...what isn't the country backing him up on same!!
I'm sure Aer Lingus are only too happy for Ryanair to cut services at Dublin, its only going to strengthen their own Dublin services!

eastern wiseguy
20th Mar 2009, 17:59
Am I missing something?. He says the extra tenner will be too much for the punter to bear.....so he removes the services and fails to let the punter decide?......more to this than meets the eye. It seems like an excuse to pop smoke and disappear.:bored:

Gold Rivet
21st Mar 2009, 00:11
There's a rumour going round an Irish political website that the Irish Government are about to INCREASE the travel tax in next months emergency budget.

Micko will love that.:}

eu01
21st Mar 2009, 09:39
The rumours about a possible FR base in Krakow (Balice) are becoming harder to ignore. Yesterday KRK was visited by Michael Cawley and the talks concerned "the creation of a base for the carrier's aircraft". And "the concrete proposals were negotiated, including routes".

With Ryanair you never know, but Krakow looks to me as a very smart place to locate a base. FR could attract not only the migrating workforce, but also tourists to visit the city, as a truely enchanting place.

frfly
21st Mar 2009, 14:20
hmm.... KRK would have been a wise choice 2 years ago, but with increased polish navigational fees and a decline in polish migration to western europe, I would be surprised if they chose now as a time to open a base. Remember, KRK was one of the airports the RYR stopped flying to for 6 weeks because of high fees.

However, this is RYR, and the A/C have to go somewhere.

RAT 5
22nd Mar 2009, 11:49
Look back over the past 5 years and see how much MOL has increased RYR's stealth taxes. Check-in charges, credit card charges, baggage charges, sports equipment charges, and the iniquitous 'wheel chair levy'. On average they are over 200% higher. The D.Telegraph guessimated that RYR collected 650m euors on charges in 2008. Some have to be paid and are genuine, but many are just stealth charges and go to make up the cost of travel and into RYR's coffers. However, it all allows RYR to continue its claim that their 'ticket' price is the lowest.
"economical with the truth & pot calling the kettle black" comes to mind.

GayFriendly
22nd Mar 2009, 14:10
I think Ryanair single handedly invented the phrase 'economical with the truth'. Just as they did 'exceptional customer service' ;)

boyzinblue
24th Mar 2009, 07:46
New Routes:

Alghero - Bari
Alghero - Reus
Nottingham - Plama
Nottingham - Reus
Ibiza - Bologna
Ibiza - Rome

multycpl
24th Mar 2009, 14:32
Any truth in the rumour that Ryanair ( or MOL )have a share holding in TBI ?

racedo
24th Mar 2009, 17:24
Any truth in the rumour that Ryanair ( or MOL )have a share holding in TBI ?

Suggest unlikely as FR would need to disclose that they were doing business with a company that it held a significant shareholding in. Raises lots of questions with regulators.

riptack
24th Mar 2009, 19:06
Any one know what the 39 routes announced today in Madrid are?

www.rte.ie/business/2009/0324/ryanair.html (http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0324/ryanair.html)

davidjohnson6
24th Mar 2009, 19:28
Any one know what the 39 routes announced today in Madrid are?The link you provided seems to refer to 39 routes to and from 8 Spanish airports. Is it possible that the journalist is just counting all the routes that have already been announced to / from Spain that will commence at some point in 2009 ?

riptack
24th Mar 2009, 20:13
You must be right David because I can't find any press releases announcing more routes.:)

bizdev
24th Mar 2009, 20:29
I am always amazed that retailers still sell goods at .99 instead of the whole number - but they have been doing so for many years. I feel that my intelligence is being insulted - but am I being influenced subconsiously? So if you are more likely to buy at 9.99 rather than 10.00 then .01 is a hell of a differentiator considering its size. So perhaps MoL is right as 10.00 is a whole lot bigger than 0.01

davidjohnson6
24th Mar 2009, 21:29
bizdev - have a look at

Psychological pricing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing)

Jippie
24th Mar 2009, 21:32
The dutch government will probably abolish the eco-tax(finally) to counter the economic crisis.
I wonder if Ryanair will announce new routes to Holland after the official announcement.

bizdev
25th Mar 2009, 20:28
Thanks for the link - interesting

pee
26th Mar 2009, 11:13
Riga International Airport provides discounts for Latvian national airline airBaltic and the low-fare airline Ryanair for using airport infrastructure, but this policy will be changed in the nearest future, admits in an interview the new Transport Minister of Latvia Kaspars Gerhards. "Naturally, subsequently some air companies will have to increase their fees, but we have to do it to make competition laws effective in our airport," stresses Gerhards.

He pledges that everything will be done in a "clear and transparent way".

For me it looks like the Ryanair's romance with Riga airport is going to be abruptly terminated...

befree
26th Mar 2009, 11:46
discounts for starting new routes are history. The airports that have given Ryanair startup discounts will also no wish to extend them. Ryanair have now pulled so many routes that it is ryanair that has the problems as much as the airports.

I also notice that they now have spare planes to do football specials. This seems to be a positive move away from flying even when it is loss making to looking for opertuintes.

Lord Lardy
26th Mar 2009, 12:04
I also notice that they now have spare planes to do football specials. This seems to be a positive move away from flying even when it is loss making to looking for opertuintes.

I have noticed in the past few months that they also have aircraft available for wet lease on their website (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=Lease&sec=LEASE). It's probably prudent to find work for those aircraft sitting idle at the moment.

Rhodes13
26th Mar 2009, 12:14
Lord Lardy the leasing has always been on RYR's website for as long as I can remember so don't go looking to deep into it.

Befree the aircraft would have most likely been Shannon based aircraft and we would have spare capacity at the moment due to the winter schedule being flown (greatly reduced flying like all airlines at the moment). I think you'll find once the summer flying kicks off like most airlines there isn't much slack in the system.

racedo
26th Mar 2009, 12:17

They have always done specials be it for Cheltenham, Liverpool v Milan in Athens, Man Utd v Chelsea in Moscow, Ireland v Italy in Bali, Munster v whoever in Cardiff etc etc.

Fixed high price for passengers.....chance to make money.

Funny when BA / Easyjet and everyone else does it its ok.

Skipness One Echo
26th Mar 2009, 12:24
Most airlines haven't taken delivery of a whole slew of brand new B737s since the economy went T.U. with a shed load more to find routes for. Major difference.

Rhodes13
26th Mar 2009, 12:31
skipness agree with the deliveries but I think youll find the the Majors seem to be struggling as much if not more than the Loco's as a much larger and thus important amount of their revenue comes from the front end.
Thus with the collapse in the business first class market you'll find BA especially is struggling. Meanwhile the punters on their cheap and cheerful trips to the continent still seem to be traveling. You'll also find that the locos business is much less reliant on one market. Thus it is easier to redeploy metal to countries where whilst demand is softening its holding up better than the UK.

But hey lets all pray for it to end in tears hey? :ugh:

PS I think youll find RYR did the same during 9/11 when there was a downturn in traffic figures. Provided they can bleed cash for the duration of the downturn once the upturn comes (and it will) RYR will be placed once again to take advantage of the numbers of pax. Like him of loath him MOL believe it or not does have some idea on what he is doing even if its not apparent to those outside of his inner circle.

Sober Lark
26th Mar 2009, 12:35
I think they just took delivery of their 200th aircraft today?

MUFC_fan
26th Mar 2009, 20:32
Ryanair are reducing their a/c numbers at LPL giving the reason that the GBP and ADP are crap.

Yet they are going to expand at EDI, BRS and MAN...:confused:

The excuses get worse!:}

Shed-on-a-Pole
26th Mar 2009, 22:08
Noted that Ryanair ran a TV commercial during tonight's ITV1 episode of "The Bill" [Granada Region]. Perhaps I have just been unobservant, but I cannot recall Ryanair using this strategy before (at least not in this region). It was a fairly typical message: sale of 1 million seats at ten pounds one way plus charges. Are we seeing a fundamental shift here in the way Ryanair will promote its product in the future?

racedo
26th Mar 2009, 22:14
Perhaps I have just been unobservant, but I cannot recall Ryanair using this strategy before (at least not in this region). It was a fairly typical message: sale of 1 million seats at ten pounds one way plus charges. Are we seeing a fundamental shift here in the way Ryanair will promote its product in the future?

Given that TV advertising time has become incredibly cheap its a good strategy to follow at the moment as broadcasters are struggling to find people will to pay for ad time.

Shamrock350
26th Mar 2009, 22:59
A few years ago I noticed a Ryanair advert during Emmerdale on ITV1, it was very short with just a map of Europe showing routes from STN. I think it was possibly 2006 and was shown in the London region. It's the only Ryanair TV advert I've ever seen.

racedo
26th Mar 2009, 23:09
There was the Sky weather forecast adverts quite a few years ago.

andy mach 1
27th Mar 2009, 07:27
Here in the East Midlands we seem to get the seats for £10 advert virtually every ad break between 7pm and 9pm

befree
27th Mar 2009, 08:26
They need as many £10 as possible due to a big bill for new planes. Also many people are now vowing never to fly with them again

Carmoisine
27th Mar 2009, 09:36
Like animals that sense an earthquake, some of us FR drivers have become adept in sensing base openings and have developed the subconcious to feel when an opening is imminent.

The rumours about El Prat seem to be accurate, my spidey sense is twitching.

racedo
27th Mar 2009, 10:09
They need as many £10 as possible due to a big bill for new planes. Also many people are now vowing never to fly with them again

Course they are because you believe it doesn't make it so.

ICING AOA
27th Mar 2009, 10:14
Rumours about Mallorca, Santander and Malaga.

El Prat is a false rumour.

Carmoisine
27th Mar 2009, 10:23
(Panto Voice) Oh no it's not! :)

I always reckoned the Malaga rumours were wishful thinking by our wishful contingent of Spanish crew.

Jippie
27th Mar 2009, 10:59
According to the Brabants Dagblad, a local newspaper, Anja Seugling from Ryanair told them that: They will intensify negotiations with Eindhoven Airport in the short term and that Eindhoven is one of the best performing airports in the Ryanair route network.
She also said that any new routes for the upcoming summer season are unlikely as the summer schedule is more or less finished, but that Ryanair is still expanding in Italy and Spain and that this expansion could possibly result in new destination(s) for Eindhoven.

This all has to do with the fact that the Dutch government will (finally) abolish the "ecotax" per July the first.

wind check
27th Mar 2009, 11:16
Is it legal for such a very big airline to offer a brookfield contract to everybody in order to take on only contract employees?

racedo
27th Mar 2009, 11:58
Belongs in Terms of Endearment

But to answer the question

Yes it is legal for any company to take on contract staff, size of company doesn't matter as HM Govt emply more contract staff than Ryanair and Easyjet have total employees including contract.

leeds 65
27th Mar 2009, 12:05
FR are ok - planes are nice

God i hate Brookfield - so dodgy.My bank sends me a statement everytime funds are lodged in by Brookfield and the address from Brookfield is somewhere in Gibraltar :rolleyes:

The contract wording is very vague so im sure FR legal team are doing everything by the book

Brookfield is FR in disguise - run by FR heads

Flitefone
27th Mar 2009, 14:55
Early summer capacity down by 4.8% in Europe; Norwegian in pole position for growth | anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/2009/03/27/early-summer-capacity-down-by-48pc-in-europe/)

Take a look at the capacity changes around Europe by airline.

Ryanair, Ezy and Flybe all likely to end 2009 larger and stronger.

A lot of other carriers shrinking fast!

FF

pikkuprinssi
28th Mar 2009, 15:18
It seems that Pescara (PSR) is going to be 8th italian base with just one plane based.
Rumoured destinations are BGY, CAG, ZAD (and probably more to come) ;)

Jippie
29th Mar 2009, 13:46
Seems to be a valid rumour.
Pescara-Eindhoven-Pescara is in the slot list, starting 3x weekly on the 2nd of july.

True Blue
29th Mar 2009, 15:30
Is Fr going to do Lgw - Rome? There is an arrival on ceefax, FR1007 from Rome at 20.20. I assume that this flight is not operating, just wondering if someone has put the info in there too soon.

True Blue

befree
29th Mar 2009, 16:06
Early summer capacity down by 4.8% in Europe; Norwegian in pole position for growth | anna.aero

Even Ryanair is showing just 3% capacity growth at the start of the summer season. However, the number of routes on offer has increased by 16% resulting in a reduction in average frequency on each route from 6.3 to 5.6 weekly flights.

The report does not explain what FR are going to do with the planes if it only needs 3% more.

LIBP
30th Mar 2009, 08:26
New base to be announced at Pescara?

Do you know other slot request?

In the slot list you can see a plane stop at PSR in the night

Pescara-Cagliari
PSR-CAG 20:20-21:50 --3---7 from 1/7 to 30/8
CAG-PSR 22:15-23:45 --3---7 from 1/7 to 30/8

PSR-CAG 15:00-16:30 ---4--- from 3/9 to 22/9
CAG-PSR 16:55-18:25 ---4--- from 3/9 to 22/9
PSR-CAG 20:20-21:50 ------7 from 6/9 to 18/10
CAG-PSR 22:15-23:45 ------7 from 6/9 to 18/10

Pescara-Bergamo
BGY-PSR 11:20-12:30 1------ from 2/7 to 24/9
BGY-PSR 12:50-14:00 -2-4-6- from 2/7 to 24/9

PSR-BGY 12:55-14:05 1------ from 2/7 to 24/9
PSR-BGY 14:25-15:35 -2-4-6- from 2/7 to 24/9

PSR-EIN 16:50-19:20 -2-4-6- from 1/7 to 30/8
EIN-PSR 19:45-22:15 -2-4-6- from 1/7 to 30/8

PSR-EIN 09:15-11:45 -2-4-6- from 1/9 to 24/10
EIN-PSR 12:10-14:40 -2-4-6- from 1/9 to 24/10

racedo
30th Mar 2009, 16:02
3 New bases Bologna, Alghero and Cagliari nothing on Pescara

LIBP
30th Mar 2009, 16:10
Today FR begin activity from Bologna, Alghero and Cagliari so this is a base presentation!!! These three bases were announced last year!

racedo
30th Mar 2009, 16:46
Today FR begin activity from Bologna, Alghero and Cagliari so this is a base presentation!!! These three bases were announced last year!

:ok: Thanks for clarification

eu01
30th Mar 2009, 19:11
I've noticed this new appointment:Ryanair has appointed Ken O’Toole as director of new route development.

He will be responsible for the continued expansion and management of the Ryanair route network, the allocation of aircraft fleet, commercial relationships with airports and the airline's continuing drive to reduce airport costs.

A chartered accountant, Ken joined Ryanair in 2006 as yield manager and was responsible for the revenue management of the Ryanair route network.

Since 2008 he held the position of head of scheduled revenue with specific responsibility for the Scandinavian, German and Dutch markets. Let's just hope he'll have a concise and clear vision of the future development (by means of a smart 'intelligence' and fruitful research resulting in some good non-nonsense routes); I don't know the guy, however. Chartered accountant... :rolleyes:

pee
31st Mar 2009, 14:36
An accountant as a development visionary? Mmm, not sure. But... I hope he would be able to see more clearly the right directions, the most profitable routes.

I've just calculated the mean price of flights from Tampere to Bergamo in June. 17 flights (once-daily on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun). Do you know what the mean price of a return flight is? Without luggages, without the priority boarding, without the airport check-in fee, no insurance, nothing. Okay, it is as much as... 214 euros!!! In June! Despite such kind of prices, the LF's are being excellent across the board. Yet no frequency adjustments, no similar routes were put into effect for so long time.

So, I just would like the new route development director to be not as blind as his predecessor has been, it would mean very much.

loveJet
31st Mar 2009, 14:39
almost an oxymoron.

perhaps FR have decided enough is enough on the crazy route matches.

But don't knock the old Benny Berger style - crazy worked for Ryanair.

A sudden conservative approach may prove fatal.

Angry Rebel
31st Mar 2009, 15:01
Oxymoron?! Accountant does not equal conservative. Get a grip. It just equips him with some of the skills needed to do the job. Unless you know him personally and can vouch for his personality don't bother with pointless stereotypes.

captplaystation
31st Mar 2009, 17:31
Unless I am mistaken, another " accountant" has featured rather heavily in the running of Ryanair for a very long time. Or did you forget "his" previous profession ?

cesare.caldi
31st Mar 2009, 21:43
2 April Ryanair press conference at PSR to annunce new routes or probably new italian base.

GnRdL
1st Apr 2009, 10:30
Thxs Cesare!

Official notice - in the Italian language:
http://www.sambuceto.info/comunicati/wp-filez/Invito_Stampa%20Saga.doc

GnRdL
1st Apr 2009, 14:55
From PSR: CAG, EIN, BGY & TSF

New base probably!

gkaloy10
1st Apr 2009, 19:40
http://news.skyscanner.net/articles/2009/04/001098-ryanair-to-launch-new-first-class-and-luxury-class-flight-services.html

Hollymead
1st Apr 2009, 21:04
I take it you dont have April fools day in Athens gkaloy10 ?

gkaloy10
2nd Apr 2009, 18:37
Lol i know.... I'd thought i'd share it :)

Cyrano
3rd Apr 2009, 09:12
ATI says: Venice and Cagliari will be served twice-weekly, Eindhoven thrice-weekly, and Milan four times per week.

Ryanair already operates from Pescara to Frankfurt Hahn, London Stansted and Girona outside Barcelona.

So the new services from this base (6 domestic Italian round-trips per week and 3 round trips to NL) account for the equivalent of ...what? 3 days worth of aircraft time in each week?

For me the subtext in Ryanair announcements these days is all about diminishing returns. Once upon a time every new route was launched on a daily or more-than-daily basis, and every new base had two or three or four more aircraft (with corresponding inflated figures in the press release about investment $ and new jobs created). Now we have a new base which appears to consist of a net gain of maybe 3/7 of an aircraft - if the Pescara aircraft is being used to operate the existing routes to Hahn, Stansted and Girona, then that's activity taken away from those bases. Is this the smallest-ever increase in service associated with a new Ryanair base announcement?

bermudatriangle
3rd Apr 2009, 22:44
Just checked the ryanair website for the regular trip to the continent and found that the fare has doubled since the last trip.Not the airfare,but the charges for debit card booking,checking in baggage and would you believe it,on-line check-in.As a result,Mr oleary has lost a booking for the 4 of us,3 times a year.I have booked the ferry for me,the car and family and reduced the travel costs by more than 50%.I never thought i would desert the locost airlines for the ferry and road journey,but the fare increase has made me look elsewhere.i am sure that thousands of other regular ryanair customers will be taking alternative journeys,or just scrubbing the trips altogether.is this the end of locost european travel for the forseable future?who knows,i for one will be putting a few extra miles on the range rover and still be quids in.

True Blue
3rd Apr 2009, 22:48
What will happen, as always happens in capitalism, is that the current carriers will put their charges up too much. Then new entrants will come in and undercut them. Eventually FR will be the expensive carrier and someone will be doing to them what MOL has been doing to others for years. How long before a new entrant comes in with no/lower extra charges?

True Blue

BALLSOUT
3rd Apr 2009, 23:11
Come on guys, just booked for two weeks in spain for the summer hols. UK to spain in august, £225 for three of us return, all in. This includes priority boarding, checked in bags and on line check in. Same thing last year with easy was £900, and that was October! I work for Ryanair and get good staff deals, but the fares were so reasonable I just booked them on the web site.

Seat62K
4th Apr 2009, 06:14
That's the thing about Ryanair: the most amazing range of "base fares". For example, I have yet to take trips which cost me 2 pence each way. But there are also fares advertised which probably exceed those of legacy carriers.

racedo
4th Apr 2009, 09:04
March Passenger number

2008 4.5M
2009 4.7M

Increase 5%

Load Factor

2008 77 %
2009 75%

Decrease 2%.

Given they competing against Easter in March 2008 this is a decent result.

suasdaguna
4th Apr 2009, 11:27
ehh racedo with the greatest respect the same mantra is just trotted out time and time again. See you later!

Skipness One Echo
4th Apr 2009, 11:49
racedo you appear to have "accidentally" omitted revenue, which means your chosen stats are open to serious question.

Sikpupi
4th Apr 2009, 12:26
They MUST be struggling on pax numbers. my INBOX is clogged with Sales Offers over the past week or so....€4 o/w, €7 o/w and now €12 o/w.

All available to end of June.

Sikky

racedo
4th Apr 2009, 12:58
racedo you appear to have "accidentally" omitted revenue, which means your chosen stats are open to serious question.

Skip with all due repect How can I omit something that is not published by FR or any other airline on a monthly basis ?

All they and everyone else publish is Passenger numbers and performance against same month last year.

I don't know of any companies who publish monthly revenue numbers.

liffy2A
4th Apr 2009, 13:10
Looks like they are In the same boat as everyone else then, So will they carry 200,000 more pax in April this year than they did last raceco, Since Easter falls in April this year????? Interesting to see the spin you/they can put on that!

racedo
4th Apr 2009, 14:04
Looks like they are In the same boat as everyone else then, So will they carry 200,000 more pax in April this year than they did last raceco, Since Easter falls in April this year????? Interesting to see the spin you/they can put on that!

A months time will tell but lets wait and see how other airlines managed without Easter in March this year. I had assummed they would have fallen against LY in March.

befree
4th Apr 2009, 17:57
2 years ago FR told us exactly how many seats it sold. last year it changed so we only had to the nearest 1000. now they just tell us to the nearest 100,000!

With all the offers and seat that are not used the number flying could be a lot less that 4,700,000 in March.

TartinTon
4th Apr 2009, 18:13
I think you've missed the point befree.. the numbers quoted are passenger numbers i.e. people who've bought a ticket. In terms of capacity, it's not difficult to work out the rough number of seats available. On those load factors it was 5.844m seats last year v 6.267m seats this year. When you're talking millions of seats per month does it matter that they round to the nearest 100,000 instead of 1000? What more would you be able to glean if they told you it was 4,689,123 vs 4,503,222?

befree
5th Apr 2009, 10:20
100,000 pax in one month matters a lot to any airline, even one as big as Ryanair. Going from selling 4.5m seat to "selling" 4.7m seat has been done by dumping 9 million seats on to the market at between 1 and 9 euros for March, Apil & May. So many of the seats for march 09 were sold below cost that many may have been bougth but not used. It is very possible that less people were on board this year than last.

In the last 3 month of 2008 the pax rose 13% but the total income rose only 3%. In the first 3 month of 2009 the pax rose about 7.5% and we will know total income in June. The point has come were the airlines imcome starts to fall each quarter. Selling 1 euro seats just makes the traffic numbers look good but when done too much kills the airlines income. It is time to start asking of this will be an ex-airline in a few years time.

frfly
5th Apr 2009, 13:24
It still amazes me when people make comments of saying Ryanair might not be here in a few years time.

Ryanair is not just an airline - yes this is a core part of the business, but it is a brand. Income comes in from advertising to hotels, credit cards to travel insurance to home insurance to anything-else-you-want (well not quite, but you get what I mean). How are these products sold - through Ryanair.com. How do you get people to the site - LOW FARES and high publicity.

What Ryanair loses in revenue from seats it will be making up elsewhere through deals and other ventures realted to the Ryanair brand.

Narrow-sighted professionals still see this as an industry back when airlines could charge high fares attract passengers and get away with it - now im afraid, the travelling public are not so stupid, so airlines like Ryanair and easyJet will survive as they continue to diversify and offer cheap, affordable travel with consistent performance.

liffy2A
5th Apr 2009, 14:59
Rumour has it they lost the court case last week against the Irish goverment about the Knock PSO route, I wonder how much of the share holders money was wasted on this. As they had not even bid for the route!

en2r
5th Apr 2009, 16:10
Rumour has it they lost the court case last week against the Irish goverment about the Knock PSO route, I wonder how much of the share holders money was wasted on is. as they had not even bid for the route!
Yep, they definitely lost the case. I was amused to see them advertising recently in the Irish Independent for a head of Legal affairs. Presumably since they now take so many legal cases (seems to be a new one every week!) that it is cheaper to hire someone to take all the cases instead of hiring barristers for each case.

ara01jbb
5th Apr 2009, 17:45
Narrow-sighted professionals still see this as an industry back when airlines could charge high fares attract passengers and get away with it - now im afraid, the travelling public are not so stupid, so airlines like Ryanair and easyJet will survive as they continue to diversify and offer cheap, affordable travel with consistent performance.

This is true, but there is a flip side. Regular FR users (like myself) aren't so stupid either. I've saved myself a fair few bob by watching ryanair.com and waiting. The routes I use are on a fairly frequent cycle of promotions right now, so I know not to pay more than single figures. The question is whether FR can continue to make more money from unfamiliar customers than it does from its regular tight arses like me... :ok:

Cyrano
5th Apr 2009, 19:23
Rumour has it they lost the court case last week against the Irish goverment about the Knock PSO route

No rumour - fact. See the Irish Times report. (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0403/1224243934194.html)

I was amused to see them advertising recently in the Irish Independent for a head of Legal affairs. Presumably since they now take so many legal cases (seems to be a new one every week!) that it is cheaper to hire someone to take all the cases instead of hiring barristers for each case.

No, actually they're hiring to replace the previous Head of Legal Affairs, Jim Callahan, who's leaving to go to Etihad. And (more generally) a Head of Legal Affairs does a different job to a barrister.

JDB1052
5th Apr 2009, 19:48
Ad for Head of Legal Affairs in Sunday Times today too, a full quarter page in the Appointments section. Someone in for a boll***ing tomorow though, by my calendar today is Sunday April 5, the ad gives the closing date as Friday April 3rd.

airnoc
5th Apr 2009, 20:39
hi wHAT THE STORY WITH THE BRISTOL & STANSTED FLIGHTS TODAY. STANSTED 807 IN ONTIME AND WENT OUT TO BRISTOL ARR 1950 APPROX. BRISTOL IN AT 2120 AND OUT TO STANSTED. PASSAGERS FUMING WITH ALL THE DELAYS IN FROM ONE AIRPORT AND OUT TO ANOTHER.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif
PS GOOD LUCK TOMORROW ON AIRLINGUS ROUTE LGW GLAD TO SEE IT BACK.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gifhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gifhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

befree
6th Apr 2009, 07:04
Ryanair is not just an airline - yes this is a core part of the business, but it is a brand

Ryanair is a brand with a negative value. By adding Ryanair to anything you know you will get ripped of in extra charges. A well-known chain of jewellers got to the point were the brand was a by word for cheap and nasty. With Ryanair needing to increase income it may not be cheap for too long.

The unthinkable is already happening in banking with big names going under. What will happen when Ryanair cannot pay for the next wave of new planes in a few years time?

BALLSOUT
6th Apr 2009, 09:35
befree, the banks are going bust because they are insolvent. This is hardly the case with ryanair, they are probably helping to keep a couple of them afloat!

6th Apr 2009, 09:44
Ballsout, Think you might be wrong on that one.
Also a rumour on "Politics.ie" under 'Transport' suggesting they may need a new ceo soon.
Apologies, dont know how to set up a link

befree
6th Apr 2009, 10:00
Ryanair is not insolvent. The big banks were not insolvent a year ago. They made massive profits and paid dividends. It was unthinkable that they would be broke within a few months.

Even selling millions of seats below cost is not increasing ryanairs income. Growth is over but a wave of planes is ordered for each of the next few years. Ryanair have a real problem with keeping it income and its offers to get new pax are just being used by existing ones to fly cheaper. It is starting to get thinkable that they will go under in 3 to 5 years time.

triple nickel
6th Apr 2009, 16:50
Can any one confirm a press conferenz tomorrow in Weeze???

Rumours about a seventh based a/c ar strong...

:ok:

pikkuprinssi
6th Apr 2009, 17:33
New routes from NRN to be announced tomorrow (from the web checkin)

Almeria 2x --3---7
Beziers 2x --3---7
Bratislava 3x -2-4-6-
Ibiza 3x -2-4-6-
Krakow 3x -2-4-6-
Lamezia 2x 1---5--
Turin 2x --3---7
Valladolid 2x 1---5--
Zadar 2x 1---5--

AMS flyer
6th Apr 2009, 18:20
NRN... Another airport getting dominated by Ryanair... In the end I doubt if this is really sustainable for this airport, 95% of all flights operated by FR...
:ugh:

captplaystation
6th Apr 2009, 19:43
Don't think you will find them complaining too loudly ? after the other guys with the (3 ? ) A320`s stopped operating, there was sweet FA except RYR. Same situation today ? no RYR = no flights, so what do you expect them to do, ask RYR to go away as it is not sustainable ?
An airports revenue is also earned from many other sources, ( cafe's, parking etc etc ) not just the handling fees that RYR probably don't pay.

airhumberside
6th Apr 2009, 21:07
NRN... Another airport getting dominated by Ryanair... In the end I doubt if this is really sustainable for this airport, 95% of all flights operated by FR...
Does that 95% include the new Hamburg International based charter aircraft? Obviously NRN is FR dominated, but 95% seems a bit on the high side

pwalhx
7th Apr 2009, 07:23
Curious that you quote the airport is 95% dominated by Ryanair, what do you suggest the airport turns the business away and have nothing.

Whilst many, including myself, are not massive Ryanair fans you have to admit that that in this case there may be no airport without Ryanair as obviously not many other airlines are interested in operating from there.

RAT 5
8th Apr 2009, 11:45
Regarding RYR domination at an airport: I heard there were some vigerous negotiations going on at HHN recently. HHN does not seem to be expanding as RYR once planned. Indeed I hear rumours of a reduction of a/c. Does anyone have the knowledgeable inside story of the present and the future at HHN?

cesare.caldi
8th Apr 2009, 17:46
Does that 95% include the new Hamburg International based charter aircraft? Obviously NRN is FR dominated, but 95% seems a bit on the high side

Without Ryanair flights simply this airport don't exist...so or Ryanair monopoly or nothing, this is the choice...

loveJet
9th Apr 2009, 01:30
any extra aircraft coming to BOH?

parsi
9th Apr 2009, 07:37
I see that in today's Cork Indepdent Ruinair are bemoaning the fact that they will probably drop around 100k passengers in Cork.

The paper dutifully regurgitates the propaganda that this is solely due to airport-side charges and the departure tax whilst ignoring that less folk are going to go on a jolly now that money is tight and that Ruinair themselves have added significant extra charges.

It's time that papers stopped dressing up press releases as "fact".

any_any
9th Apr 2009, 13:23
Hello!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been searching for an answer for 4 months now and nobody knew anything about it. So I really hope that I've put my question in the right subfolder in the forum and thank you for all the help.

All I want to know is, if there will be a Ryanair flight connection from Barcelona (Girona) to Tenerife this summer? I've heard some rumors, but nothing precise yet and I really don't know what to do anymore, to receive this information, if it is still worth to wait or just to buy tickets somewhere else.

Last year I know that there was this connection, but as I heard, it was cancelled in October or November, but in the New Routes directory on Ryanair page, there isn't anything about it for these summer season.

If anybody knows anything I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.

MUFC_fan
10th Apr 2009, 22:29
If it isn't up yet I would probably doubt it will be up this summer but you never know, Ryanair are always changing their routes!

captplaystation
11th Apr 2009, 09:29
Given that neither it nor Fuertaventura (whom they had a falling out with over charges ) are in the booking engine I wouldn't plan on it.
New routes tend to be available for booking well in advance of the start date rather than left to the last moment, to avoid early flights leaving empty obviously.
Of course there could be a last minute decision to operate there later in Summer, however given the popularity of the Canaries as a reasonably close Winter destination that is more likely, if at all.
I guess the longer sector length made it difficult to charge a profitable fare without a high headline figure, as the flights were certainly well utilised last year.

en2r
11th Apr 2009, 20:51
I see that in today's Cork Indepdent Ruinair are bemoaning the fact that they will probably drop around 100k passengers in Cork.

The paper dutifully regurgitates the propaganda that this is solely due to airport-side charges and the departure tax whilst ignoring that less folk are going to go on a jolly now that money is tight and that Ruinair themselves have added significant extra charges.

It's time that papers stopped dressing up press releases as "fact".
I totally agree. Also when you think about it we don't have any Prestwick or East Midlands in 2009 from Cork. These were both daily for most of 2008. Also capacity was reduced slightly on Stansted (from 20 weekly to 18) until the end of March. This means that load factors overall for the 5 remaining Cork routes (Stansted, Gatwick, Dublin, Liverpool and Carcassonne) will actually be higher this year than last year. Remarkable, when you think that we're now in the middle of a global recession. They didn't mention that in their press release did they!

Apparantly they also wanted to launch a Spanish destination from Cork but the CAA wouldn't give them a discount so they're thinking of launching it from Kerry instead. Since the CAA wouldn't give them a discount, I presume that the destination was either served from Cork already by an existing airline, or else it was to a close airport to an existing destination (e.g Girona vs. the Aer Lingus service to Barcelona El Prat). Well done to the CAA for protecting existing airlines, who we must remember are paying full charges. No point in giving Ryanair a discount and letting them undermine existing full paying services. If MOL wants a discount, he'll just have to launch to a new destination not served by an existing airline! Someone should remind MOL about the Kerry-Liverpool debacle the next time he threatens to move services from Cork to Kerry.

Tom the Tenor
11th Apr 2009, 22:33
Let MO'L do whatever he likes with his jets from Kerry or snn - he can go to Mars and back if he wants. Just remember when EI launched Cork-Madrid MO'L was quick in on the scene with spoiling tactics with a Madrid originating service to snn just to help scupper whatever chance the EI service had from Cork. It was not long before there was neither a Cork or snn service to Madrid.

jiffajaffa
12th Apr 2009, 16:41
Well done to the CAA for protecting existing airlines

This is the problem with Cork its a one airline monolopy with high charges that are destroying competition for other airlines and im not just talking about Ryanair! lets just see how long Aer Lingus will keep paying the high fees for using the airport with the share price dwindling and new management coming in....

Cork needs to sort out its management and get into negotiations with airlines interested in expanding at the airport.. the more airlines and airplanes using the airport the more passengers through the airport and the more profit it can make...

Simple as.

JJ

ryan2000
12th Apr 2009, 17:15
This latest press release is a rehash of the many that have been sent to the media over the years. It includes the tiresome tripe about wanting to use the old terminal at Cork and presumably pay lower charges to operate from it or better still no charges at all.

i presume they want the CAA to pay for the cost of operating 2 terminals. Aerlingus. BMI Baby, Aer Arann Wizz and Jet 2 might even move to the old terminal if the charges were lower and we could then rename the new terminal "The Red Elephant terminal".

en2r
12th Apr 2009, 20:43
the more airlines and airplanes using the airport the more passengers through the airport and the more profit it can make...

Simple as.

Its not that simple. If you gave Ryanair massive discounts and told them they could launch any route they wanted, they would probably open routes to destinations already served by Aer Lingus, or else to nearby airports. This would undermine the existing Aer Lingus services, and in some cases Aer Lingus, who are paying full charges on many of their routes, would be driven off the routes (since they would have higher costs due to paying full charges) to be replaced by Ryanair paying next to nothing. Net result - again only one airline on the route, but only paying a fraction of what Aer Lingus were paying in airport charges. The consumer is in the same position as before but Cork airport is in a much worse Financial position. Its just not as simple as giving discounts to anyone who wants to fly from Cork, the CAA must protect those existing airlines (I know Primarily Aer Lingus) who already serve Cork and pay full price for doing so.

Stopend
13th Apr 2009, 00:03
the more airlines and airplanes using the airport the more passengers through the airport and the more profit it can make...

Simple as.

S Says Ryan Air !
No its not that simple. Very often people like Ryan Air pay no fees of any sort, or if they do, very little. Those airports that have a heavy reliance on low cost soon find that the low cost passenger spends very little in the building. So, with little or no income from landing fees or airline passenger charges, you have lots of aircraft hitting the deck (wear and tear on the runway which needs to be maintained), lots of people passing through the building / security (which has to be maintained / manned) but very little money coming in ! Passenger numbers look good but profit goes down.

johnnychips
13th Apr 2009, 00:21
Stopend's point is vaild, but could be oversimplified. On no scientific basis at all, I would suggest holidaymakers will spend a lot at an airport because 'we're on holiday', business travellers may do because 'it's on expenses (and/or I'm quite well off anyway)' but those who have to travel through necessity, for example returning migratory workers, won't.

ryan2000
13th Apr 2009, 09:43
Ryanair's operation at Shannon from 2005 resulted in a massive increase in passengers. However we now know that it was loss making from the start and that Shannon is also losing money.

Passengers are becoming increasingly averse to paying rip off prices for sandwiches and cups of tea.

So everyone loses when agreements are signed that are unsustainable.

EI-BUD
13th Apr 2009, 10:16
Was at Dublin airport yesterday and was passing the runway area and stopped to take advantage of the view. It was about 5pm. A Ryanair 738 reg EI-EBT (quite new this year i think). It took off in such a short distance and I was amazed in fact. I am wondering perhaps the newer models are better at this than the older ones? I fly on 738s often when I use various airlines but this seemed shorter than usual. Perhaps the plane had a light load?

The airport was to be fair like a ghost town and amidst all the contruction of T2 I cant help but ponder who is going to use it? Aer Lingus apparently not and Ryanair not, and with many full service carriers pulling out who will be left to use it? Apart from that with Ryanair and Aer Lingus handling the large majority of movements one wonders...

The list of scheduled operators continues to decline, CSA has not withdrawn scheduled services, today (Monday) I just checked and 19 carriers will do scheduled service from Dublin. Outside of Aer Lingus, Aer Arann, Ryanair and Bmi these are

Air Baltic
Air France
Air Southwest
American
Continental
Delta
Flybe
Iberia
Luftansa
Luxair
Malev
Sas
Swiss
Turkish
US Airways ... all 15 airlines make up a total of 31 movements today!

Interesting numbers.

Coquelet
13th Apr 2009, 10:21
People don't spend much at the airport : on arrival, they want to go to their destination as soon as possible - on departure, they don't have much time.
But an airport like Cork is for the profit of the whole region. The tourists that arrive at Cork will spend - first by buying a ticket on the Sylink bus, or by leasing a car, then in hotels, restaurants, shops, touristic attractions, museums, bookshops, excursions, etc.
Thus, it makes sense for Cork to bring as many people as possible, even if the airport itself does not make much profit.

Shamrock350
13th Apr 2009, 10:38
Ryanair made clear that it wouldn't use the "gold plated" Terminal 2 at Dublin but when did Aer Lingus say they wouldn't? I thought Aer Lingus planned on being the biggest airline at the terminal which would go a long way in turning Dublin into a more effective hub for Aer Lingus.

EI-BUD
13th Apr 2009, 10:43
shamrock 350 , thanks for that. I thought that there was something about that of late... also thinking that Aer Lingus in the current climate will be anxious to watch costs.

ryan2000
13th Apr 2009, 16:09
Coquelet, The problem is that Cork Airport has a commercial mandate.

It is not allowed make huge losses so that the region as a whole benefits. Shannon is also meant to operate on a commercial basis but of course Governments and airport authorities have been turning a blind eye to the losses incurred there for decades.

davidjohnson6
13th Apr 2009, 16:22
Coquelet - I'm not entirely convinced by the argument that an airport should not run at a profit.

If tourists flying to a substantial city (and I refer only to foreign tourists, not PSO routes) on a long-established route in general aren't prepared to pay a fair price for the flight to cover its costs including that of the airport and add a little bit of profit... are they really likely to be spending that much when they arrive in Cork ?

A regional Govt needs to consider *profit* per tourist to the local area, rather than simply number of visiting cheapskates !

Handover
13th Apr 2009, 16:48
Ryan2000, let's hope the Government turns the same blind eye to Cork's new terminal debt problem! Not all of Ireland's aviation problems are because of Shannon.

Cyrano
13th Apr 2009, 20:29
Not all of Ireland's aviation problems are because of Shannon.
Shh! Tom will hear you! ;)

johnnychips
13th Apr 2009, 21:31
Davidjohnson6

Obviously a lot of tourists love Ireland and visit it as often as possible.

But I wonder how many people who would never normally have thought of making the effort to go to Dublin went there because of Ryanair operating a flight from near where they lived? Even if these people don't spend that much (though with Irish hotel prices I don't think that's possible), there must be a lot of them.

But I would speculate that that's why routes like DSA-DUB have gone down the pan. Apart from the £/€ rate and the recession, when the route opened, a lot of locals went; now they've been and seen it, they want to go somewhere else.

davidjohnson6
13th Apr 2009, 22:00
jonnychips - I can certainly believe that Ryanair launching routes from regional Irish airports has boosted inbound tourism benefitting the Irish economy (well - apart from routes from Ireland to places like the Costa del Sol). In particular the existence of a direct flight makes a big difference to a visitor's likelihood of making the trip.

However, I have reservations as to whether it's OK for the Irish taxpayer to be subsidising both airline and passenger, when it's meant to be Ireland trying to benefit from this. I draw a distinction between airports which are entirely Govt owned and operated, compared to Aer Arann, Aer Lingus or Ryanair as Cork's dominant airlines which are substantially non-state-owned companies.

If we think that an extra 5 euros on a ticket is going to turn a visitor from being in favour of visiting Ireland to going somewhere else instead.... this implies that the visitor is highly price sensitive. If the visitor is *that* price sensitive, are they going to be staying in a hotel or a hostel ?

For a region like that surrounding Shannon airport which is very tourism dependent, maybe it's worth subsidising a bit to ensure jobs are retained. For somewhere like Cork where the economy is more diverse and not everyone is coming as a tourist... does the same argument really apply ?

johnnychips
13th Apr 2009, 23:38
Cheers David,

Good arguments. The only points I was really trying to make were:

1. Any tourism is better than none (I was really thinking of Dublin where subsidies don't apply)
2. The novelty value of visiting Ireland has worn off; don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic country and I had a great stay, but next time I'll be going somewhere warmer.

Facelookbovvered
14th Apr 2009, 08:33
I was waiting for a flight yesterday and watching the Ryanair flight crew on the turn around, one of the Flight deck was plugged into the Flight deck/ground comms jack with a pair of bright green/yellow headsets, he appeared to be watching loaders or re fueler?

What all that about? not the first i have seen it either, just interested?:8

Cloud Bunny
14th Apr 2009, 12:41
This is the most pathetic, pointless, ridiculous procedure you've ever heard of, bought in by the IAA but as far as I can tell only FR are required to carry it out. We have to stand attached to the aeroplane to monitor the fueling process, in the event that there is a leak or a fire(!) we have to inform the Pilot left in the flightdeck. You can hear it now.."quick, there's a leak and its ignit.....BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!" Not only is it a waste of time but it totally compromises the turnarounds in terms of planning and briefing and makes it almost impossible to complete a turnaround in 25 minutes.
Bit of a rant but hope it answers the question! :}

potkettleblack
14th Apr 2009, 14:23
So being able to communicate with the flight deck in the event of a spillage and/or fire is a waste of time whilst passengers are boarding/deplaning? How do you plan on communicating with the cabin manager then if your sitting on your tod somewhere and no one is watching what is going on outside your aircraft? Perhaps you expect the Hungarian refueller who speaks not a word of english to run up to the flight deck and use sign language - once he has gotten past the scrum on the stairs that is?

I am sure your paying customers would be most assured with that attitude. If you feel that the 25 minute turnaround is to blame then I am sure the IAA would love to receive your written correspondence.

The Real Slim Shady
14th Apr 2009, 15:55
cloud bunny

Appendix 1 to OPS 1.305
Re/defuelling with passengers embarking, on board or disembarking
An operator must establish operational procedures for re/defuelling with passengers embarking, on board or disembarking

to ensure the following precautions are taken:

(1) One qualified person must remain at a specified location during fuelling operations with passengers on board. This qualified person must be capable of handling emergency procedures concerning fire protection and fire-fighting, handling communications and initiating and directing an evacuation;

(2) A two-way communication shall be established and shall remain available by the aeroplane’s inter-communication system or other suitable means between the ground crew supervising the refuelling and the qualified personnel on board the aeroplane;

(3) Crew, staff and passengers must be warned that re/defuelling will take place;

(4) ‘Fasten Seat Belts’ signs must be off;

(5) ‘NO SMOKING’ signs must be on, together with interior lighting to enable emergency exits to be identified;

(6) Passengers must be instructed to unfasten their seat belts and refrain from smoking;

(7) Sufficient qualified personnel must be on board and be prepared for an immediate emergency evacuation;

(8) If the presence of fuel vapour is detected inside the aeroplane, or any other hazard arises during re/defuelling, fuelling must be stopped immediately;

(9) The ground area beneath the exits intended for emergency evacuation and slide deployment areas must be kept clear;

and
(10) Provision is made for a safe and rapid evacuation.

Hence it has nothing to do with the IAA and every EU Ops operator should following these procedures.

Based
14th Apr 2009, 20:21
(2) A two-way communication shall be established and shall remain available by the aeroplane’s inter-communication system or other suitable means between the ground crew supervising the refuelling and the qualified personnel on board the aeroplane;

The Real Slim Shady, this paragraph only stipulates that there has to be someone on the ground supervising, not that it has to be a pilot which is what I believe Cloud Bunny is referring to.

tom de luxe
14th Apr 2009, 22:51
The Real Slim Shady, this paragraph only stipulates that there has to be someone on the ground supervising, not that it has to be a pilot which is what I believe Cloud Bunny is referring to.
Fair point, but then again, who's it gonna be if not one of the pilots?
The Spanish student hired as cabin crew (:eek: never mind that the cabin has to be prepared for evac -> 189 seats means three cabin crew, and that's what's available on FR)?
The abundant :hmm: Ryanair ground staff (oops, one cabin crew is helping out at the gate during boarding on a regular basis, so no slack there)?
A baggage handler?
The fuel guy, supervising himself :uhoh: ?
A hairy camel that just happens to drop by?

T.

captplaystation
14th Apr 2009, 23:42
If the fueler is likely to keel over at any moment and at the same time the cut-off switches in the tanks fail thereby resulting in the fuel ending up everywhere, then I suggest the two plots that are required in the flightdeck to complete the subsequent evacuation checklist ( according Mr Boeing) should have been watching the gauges , as the 7000kg they requested became 7800 and then some, that is what they should be supervising.
If the fuelling procedure requires supervision, then I suggest it is incumbent on the company providing it ( and raking in the associated profits ) to provide a second qualified bod.
Me, I reckon any turnaround / evacuation , will be more professionaly accomplished if both of us are present, and not standing outside freezing our bollox off in the p1ssing rain. Call me old-fashioned, but this is another case of the tail wagging the dog.
If Blogs the refueller cannot work unsupervised, let his employer pay/train/ provide the supervisor. None of us received any specific training.
I have better things to do on a 25min turnaround and perhaps it might also be better if my actions were supervised :hmm: that is why there are two of us, and I certainly don't demand that the fueller pops up and checks the loadsheet once I am finished with it :*

Stopend
15th Apr 2009, 00:04
The reason may be quite simple. If FR's own staff do it they can squeeze some more off the turn round bill. Just like reducing the number of handling agent escorts they pay for by getting one of the cabin crew to act as an escort, or am I just being a little too suspicious here, maybe!

F14
15th Apr 2009, 05:45
Not sure if it has been posted, but PSR to be new base.

frfly
15th Apr 2009, 07:16
The fuelling policy is an absolute farce with a 25 minute turnaround. Not only does it mean one of the flight deck is outside, it also means the much needed no.4 is stuck onboard the aircraft, therefore the handling agent has more work to do for the same amount of pay from Ryanair.

I think its a policy that will need to be looked at.

What would happen if RYR A/C were registered in another country, would the same procedure apply? If its put in place by the IAA and its being done say in Spain because the IAA say it must be done, could you not switch the country of registration theoretically to get their rules to apply? A drastic move I know but I just wondered what the rules were?

captplaystation
15th Apr 2009, 09:17
I he never seen any other company doing it, except in Tenerife Sur, where EVERY company does it , at the insistence of the refueller, who tells me apologetically that he is under threat of sacking if he doesn't apply it.
Does this mean that RYR are the ONLY company complying with this JAR rule ? who would have thought it :rolleyes: :D

Based
15th Apr 2009, 10:19
New routes from theairdb.com

Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Malaga (AGP)
Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Nantes, Atlantique (NTE)
Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Tangier, Boukhalef (TNG)
Sevilla, San Pablo (SVQ) to Fez, Sais (FEZ)
Sevilla, San Pablo (SVQ) to Marrakech, Menara (RAK)

airbourne
15th Apr 2009, 11:12
From the lovely Ryanair website. It a complete load of bollocks, but its gets everyone talking about Ryanair again and on the news and in the papers!!! Free advertising yet again!

20,000 Ryanair Passengers So Far Vote for ‘Fat Tax’

Passengers to Decide Which Idea Will Win €1,000 Cash Prize

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (14 Apr) announced that almost 20,000 passengers have voted in favour of charging excess fees for overweight passengers with over 45,000 votes registered so far for Ryanair’s passenger poll to select the airline’s next discretionary charge.

Ryanair revealed the current top five as the poll reaches it midway point and urged passengers to continue to vote for their favourite on Ryanair - Book Cheap Flights to Europe - Cheap Flights from the UK (http://www.ryanair.com) before Friday 17th April.

The top five as voted by passengers to date are:

* 40% - Excess fees for overweight passengers based on body mass index.
* 20% - €3 to smoke in a converted toilet cubicle,
* 18% - €1 for toilet paper – with O’Leary’s face on it,
* 14% - annual subscription to access Ryanair.com,
* 8% - €2 “corkage” fee for passengers who bring their own food onboard.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“We are delighted with the number of votes cast to date and a little surprised with how the vote has gone so far. We urge more passengers, especially those who may be a little larger, to vote before the poll closes on Friday. Those who want to cast their vote can do so at www.ryanair.com.”

Cloud Bunny
15th Apr 2009, 14:43
Wow, flamed!!!! Bit like I would be after a fuel leak!! The point I was alluding to (and forgive the post, I'd just come off the phone after another argument with one the vicious :mad::mad::mad::mad: that work in Crew Control so was fuming at the time) was that there are any number of people who could do this, most obviously someone from the fueling company. The procedure as it says from FRs' point of view is that we have to establish two way comms however there is no requirement for us to stay on the headset once we have done so which seems to me to make a complete mockery of it in the first place. The re-fueller has a "dead mans handle" so if he drops down dead the fueling will be automatically cut off anyway.
Like I said it just adds to the pressure on us during a 25 min turnaround to get everything done (Cabin Crew/Boarding staff the same). From an SLF point of view I would be happier in the knowledge that the two guys up front are throughly briefed and prepared for the flight than have some guy outside freezing hits nuts off then tear-arsing it through the door at STD-3 minutes and going straight into a c/list so they can push on time. All because the fueller can't be trusted. Failing that, why not just not allow pax on the aeroplane when re-fuelling like in Italy? If the fueller gets to the aeroplane as it pulls on stand then it makes bugger all difference to turnaround times anyway, and means we as a crew are fully prepared for what we are there to do - fly the aeroplane!!
Thats all I can be bothered to say on the matter, it really isn't worth getting worked up about so Slim please don't spend another riveting evening trawling through EU-OPS on my behalf - treat yourself to a beer and do the missus!!:}:}:}

VanBosh
15th Apr 2009, 14:54
Sevilla, San Pablo (SVQ) to Fez, Sais (FEZ)
Sevilla, San Pablo (SVQ) to Marrakech, Menara (RAK)

SVQ going to be a base or are these going to W in from another base?

Seljuk22
15th Apr 2009, 15:52
I've read SVQ flights operated by BGY based a/c.
New flights from BGY starting on July, 9th a/c for BGY - flights to Cagliari, Fez, Leeds, Manchester and Ibiza will be increased.

RAT 5
15th Apr 2009, 16:11
Why not have a re-fuellers mate? If every EU registered a/c has to comply then the extra cost is shared out by all companies and the extra cost would be peanuts. The 1euro per ticket e.g. would be more honest than the thieving wheel chair levy.
25mins turnrounds. At some places e.g TFS it takes more than 25 mins to refuel. Thus the crew must be very rushed to perform pre-flight tasks for the return flight. Why not have longer turnrounds on longer flights, or build a buffer in before the next flght departure back at base? If RYR is so fixated on its schedule keeping why not make it easier? Or is this the case already?

airhumberside
15th Apr 2009, 17:04
New flights from BGY starting on July, 9th a/c for BGY - flights to Cagliari, Fez, Leeds, Manchester and Ibiza will be increased.
:confused: FR dont currently fly LBA-BGY

BFS101
15th Apr 2009, 21:15
airhumberside,

is it not that the new routes from BGY are Cagliari, Fez, Leeds, and Manchester; and the existing route to Ibiza is to be increased??

airhumberside
16th Apr 2009, 11:00
Don't know. I was just quoting Seljuk22's post. Though isn't BGY-MAN an existing route :confused:

Seljuk22
16th Apr 2009, 16:52
I read it in an italian newspaper yesterday but today FR announced it correctly.

Malaga, Nantes, Tangier are new - Cagliari, Fez, Ibiza and Manchester (FR is flying 3/7 now and daily from July) will be increased.

Leeds was a mistake from this newspaper.

irish lad
16th Apr 2009, 17:23
anyone any idea when ryanairs winter flights go on sale?

Seat62K
16th Apr 2009, 19:13
If history is anything to go by, buying tickets when Ryanair first loads its season's fares is to be avoided if you want to secure the best deals (unlike easyJet, when it is a good time to book!).

Callsign Kilo
16th Apr 2009, 19:53
PIK to go (completely or partially) and FR to move to GLA. Anybody else heard this, or is it more tosh from the Ryanair rumour mill?

Ringwayman
16th Apr 2009, 20:18
I'll be a bit surprised if BGY-MAN is expanded as less than 2 weeks ago, FR stated that there would be no more expansion for MAN routes until charges got lowered. I don't think things have altered in the intervening period.

davidjohnson6
16th Apr 2009, 20:23
PIK to go (completely or partially) and FR to move to GLA

Where are the Durham Tees Valley / Blackpool gang when you need them ? :E

pwalhx
16th Apr 2009, 20:53
Where did FR state no more expansion from Manchester?

MUFC_fan
16th Apr 2009, 21:54
Where are the Durham Tees Valley / Blackpool gang when you need them ?

Here! I think moving to GLA will be very bad for PIK. I think it depends on which airport is sold by BAA. If GLA goes then maybe, if not then I doubt it, working with BAA is not what FR do well...

They made the usual crap of fees being too high. They usually expand once they have said this.

Skipness One Echo
17th Apr 2009, 00:05
There is no way GLA would give FR the fees it seeks to better PIK. The rest of the GLA airlines would go nuts. PIK will fold and give FR whatever they want, they have nothing to bargain with.

rubik101
17th Apr 2009, 04:04
Not earth shattering news but;

Ryanair mulls 'fat tax' for obese passengers Paola Totaro
April 17, 2009 - 10:45AM
America has done it and now the UK is considering it: a flying "fat tax" on obese passengers who take up more space and weight than the norm.

Could Australia be next?

United Airlines announced this week that obese passengers who cannot fit in one seat may be charged for an upgrade to wider business-class seats while Irish airline Ryanair is poised to close an online poll which asks its clients what to tax next.

airhumberside
17th Apr 2009, 10:28
An article on the Crains Manchester Business website

Curious Pax
17th Apr 2009, 11:50
RYR's booking engine on the website has daily flights MAN-BGY from 4th July.

electricdeathjet
17th Apr 2009, 16:35
Well he is half way there then, hahahahaha, what a looser! :ok:

missterrible
17th Apr 2009, 16:41
Try RTE. I think I recall him sayin something like dat on The Late Late Show maybe 10 years ago or even more.

akerosid
17th Apr 2009, 17:49
In fairness to FR, the loss of 'Yankee Golf was very well handled by the crew, who found themselves in an extremely difficult situation and pulled the best landing they could out of the situation.

While it was a hull loss, it was not a fatal accident, which is what I think MO'L was referring to.

NWSRG
17th Apr 2009, 18:12
MOL's arrogance will someday get him into bother...

If FR did have two major incidents (and the Ciampino bird strike will not have been viewed as major by the majority of Joe Public) then the public perception will shift very quickly.

At the moment, the public believe that FR is as safe as any other airline. But two incidents could change that perception very quickly...and perception is all that matters from a commercial view. 99p sounds ok until a nervous public start to analyse in their own minds what cuts are made to make that fare available. Then, no matter how good the airline is behind the scenes, panic takes over, and custom moves to other airlines perceived to be safer...

Cloud Bunny
17th Apr 2009, 19:21
Correct me if I'm wrong but someone told me that Yankee Golf has been repaired and was seen doing circuits in EMA very recently?
I myself find this hard to believe as I thought thath the a/c had been written off by Boeing, anybody with any better knowledge?
As for the comment by MOL, I think he said this a while ago but just another example of how the guy thinks he's above it all and is untouchable. Dangerous personality trait from a guy at the head of the company, I can't wait till he's gone.

Cloud1
17th Apr 2009, 20:49
Bronx: electricdeathjet

I guess a man as successful as Michael O'Leary is able to spell loser correctly.
That's more than can be said about you.

If all you are concerned about is how people spell, you are on the wrong forum my friend. Try and at least contribute something towards the thread if you are going to post at all! :ugh:

NWSRG: MOL's arrogance will someday get him into bother...

Agreed. Mr O'Leary seems to think its something to be proud of and fair enough it has got people talking about Ryanair - free publicity and all that. However he will one day get into a real pickle and I for one cannot wait to see him have to wriggle out of something which he has said........;)

Buster the Bear
17th Apr 2009, 21:00
I would suggest that his airline surviving two 'hull losses' indicates a superb flight deck training regime and as such, why the hell shouldn't MOL gloat?

A culture of safety leads to success (it just needs the businees part of the plan to work as well).

In my day to day life, I come into contact with many commercial pilots. Training and safety is paramount in their minds. After all, if they fook up, they could be dead!

iwhak
17th Apr 2009, 22:03
Maybe before the argument begins, can we establish that he actually did say this, and we compalin about hacks on pprune. Agreed Buster I don't like MOL full stop but the company's attitude to maintenance and flight ops is superb. Lastly, birds don't discriminate when it comes to putting turbine fires out.

EGAC_Ramper
17th Apr 2009, 23:00
Yankee Golf

Unfortunately it is a hull loss and last time I seen the "old" girl (only 3months old at the time) she was being dismantled. No logo's,no tail, no engines...... etc etc.

Regards

ViscountFan
18th Apr 2009, 18:27
My daughter tells me that, on a flight from Dublin last Monday, there was insufficient room in th cabin for all the 'walk on' bags. A number had to be taken from punters who had already boarded, and placed in the hold.

Presumably, as more people try to avoid paying for hold bags, this is likely to become a common ocurrence. Is this likely to have any impact on turn round times?

learjet50
18th Apr 2009, 18:46
Happens on the time on Lo cost arlines

Everbody checks in on line No Baggage

Internet Check in is OK BUT its subjrct to abuse by pax saying only hand baggage

Fly/Be BMI Baby have the same problems

Re MOL

No body likes him but with due respect to the man he has made RYR a very succesful Airline and I think he will continue to do so

NO body forces pax to choose RYR but they do

Very Best Wishes

Hollymead
18th Apr 2009, 20:04
My daughter tells me that, on a flight from Dublin last Monday, there was insufficient room in th cabin for all the 'walk on' bags. A number had to be taken from punters who had already boarded, and placed in the hold.

Presumably, as more people try to avoid paying for hold bags, this is likely to become a common ocurrence. Is this likely to have any impact on turn round times?

Is now a regular occurrence on most flights , especiallly Italian ones , and no , of course sticking 20 odd wheely bags in the hold doesnt delay the turnaround , especially as the handlers are now loading 20-70 odd bags instead of the 150+ of a couple of years ago .

Jippie
18th Apr 2009, 20:23
The booking engine of Ryanair suggests that they will base an 8th aircraft at NRN from august and that it will be used to increase frequency's.

Seljuk22
19th Apr 2009, 12:57
What I've read is that these increased frequencies are typical summer routes and last just for 1 month (August) :confused:
Sounds weird to me and I think that would be new for FR to base a additional a/c for only 1 month.

NRN - AHO from 3/7 to 4/7
NRN - ALC from 7/7 to 9/7
NRN - AOI from 2/7 to 3/7
NRN - GRO from 7/7 to 9/7
NRN - REU from 3/7 to 4/7
NRN - BLQ from 4/7 to 5/7
NRN - WRO from 2/7 to 3/7
NRN - CAG from 3/7 to 4/7
NRN - BGY from 5/7 to 6/7
NRN - AGP from 4/7 to 5/7
NRN - PMI from 7/7 to 8/7
NRN - PSA from 3/7 to 5/7
NRN - SVQ from 3/7 to 4/7
NRN - TFS from 3/7 to 4/7
NRN - TPS from 3/7 to 4/7
NRN - VLC from 3/7 to 4/7

Summer hoidays in Germany (North Rhine-Westphalia): July 2nd - August 14th
Netherlands (region middle and south): July 11th - September 6th

Maybe after the summer new routes to come?

GnRdL
19th Apr 2009, 16:28
@Seljuk22 & @Jippie

It's a reinforcement of operations at NRN only for August. It's the same situation at ALC, where is gonna come the 6th aircraft (only for August).

My apologize for my english.

eu01
20th Apr 2009, 19:33
Tomorrow in Rome a press conference with Michael O'Leary and Stephen McNamara on the latest news concerning the Italian market.

I thought they've already expanded pretty much in Italy this year... yet more to come??

DILLTHEDOG
20th Apr 2009, 20:00
Probably decided to pull out of Italy ! Too many Pax with Hand luggage only !

Carmoisine
21st Apr 2009, 00:04
eu01

Ryanair are just getting warmed up, there is a LOT more expansion planned in Italy.

Skipness One Echo
21st Apr 2009, 02:54
All those new aircraft have to go somewhere. Let's see how much money they make though.

GnRdL
21st Apr 2009, 08:00
Two new routes from HHN:

- Hahn (HHN) - Zadar (ZAD): from 03/07/09: Mo/Fr
- Hahn (HHN) - Cagliari (CAG): from 05/07/09: We/Su

51 routes in total.

The press conference in Rome will start at 10:30 (local hour), in the Empire Palace Hotel, with Michael O'Leary & Stephen McNamara.

apaul
21st Apr 2009, 11:07
I wonder whether there's a demand for all these flights Ryanair is putting on to Cagliari and Zadar. They are not the most attractive parts of Sardinia and Croatia.

smith
21st Apr 2009, 22:35
With FR grounding aircraft especially in the winter could they not do more ad hoc champions league flights like the Man U flight they did to Porto with the spare capacity they have? We have 6 teams in the champions league in the UK alone, and with the league stages taking place in late autumn to winter a fleet of FR jets could criss cross europe with supporters from every country in europe every other weds and thurs. In fact FR could become "the official airline of the champions league ". Could also help out with the UEFA cup as well. If they kept their prices reasonable I'm sure they would pack out every flight.

MUFC_fan
21st Apr 2009, 22:42
Many clubs have deals with airlines, Real Madrid being one in particular. These clubs have to pay for the flights themselves, not UEFA so it would be unfair for the clubs to be forced to pay a price decided between UEFA and Ryanair.

There are too many clubs to form a deal that would be sustainable. It just wouldn't work.

smith
21st Apr 2009, 22:50
My idea was for the supporters not the players and officials. They don't have to strike a deal with anyone either, all thet have to do is arrange ad hoc flights corresponding to a particular match, use some of the capacity of the grounded aircraft and sell tickets at a reasonable price. Hey presto they can fill their planes with supporters. Not that difficult to fathom really.

Dropline
22nd Apr 2009, 08:15
You think the tickets would be sold at a "reasonable price" when FR knew they had thousands of football fans prepared to pay whatever it takes to get them to the game?

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Apr 2009, 11:37
For all concerned.

There IS a rule in PPRuNe that says, if you make statements, even vaguely veiled ones, you may be called upon to provide PPRuNe with your personal details and real name, which PPRuNe may pass on in the event of possible litigation against it.

Think - and be sure what you are saying before clicking the Submit Reply button.

eu01
22nd Apr 2009, 16:18
The Higher Administrative Court in Münster, Germany, has restricted today the operation hours of the airport NRN- Weeze (to between 6:00 - 22:00 only). FR's reaction: If the court's decision is not revised by Wednesday, 29 April - the base will be closed (causing the loss of 2.5 million passengers annually and 2,500 jobs, according to the Ryanair spokesperson (http://www.lifepr.de/pressemeldungen/ryanair/boxid-102194.html)).

Blackmailing again (not unjustifiably, though).

FR195W
22nd Apr 2009, 16:25
That´s partly correct. Based Airlines will be able to land between 06:00 - 23:00. All others between 06:00 - 22:00.

Hope they´ll find a solution...

Greets,
fr195w.

Jippie
22nd Apr 2009, 16:55
Those openingstimes look long enough, 17 hours.
That's exactly what Ryanair demands from Eindhoven to open a base there.

babemagnet
22nd Apr 2009, 17:49
Its pure bluffing from Ryanair just to put on some pressure for the German goverment!

The goverment will not let it happen they are to chicken for that!

Carmoisine
22nd Apr 2009, 17:51
Or is it seizing upon a chance to blame someone else (Ryanairs M.O), and close an under performing base?

Jippie
22nd Apr 2009, 18:34
I doubt it's underperforming given the really short timeframe this base has grown from 0 a/c to 7 a/c

babemagnet
22nd Apr 2009, 19:27
From today Ryanair will no longer be accepting bookings on affected flights to/from Dusseldorf-Weeze for travel after 2nd May.

This is bull**** you still can book the flights Ryanair is just scaring everybody

Seljuk22
22nd Apr 2009, 19:44
Also FR is thinking about to open a new base in Germany but not before next year in spring. Maybe FMM, LBC or FKB. But we will see.
Today FR celebrates 10th anniversary in Germany (HHN was their first airport) and next week there is a press conference at HHN. Are ZAD and CAG the only gifts?

Jippie
22nd Apr 2009, 20:52
@Babemagnet:
It looks like all the flights that would arrive back at Weeze after 23:00 are NOT bookable anymore. This means that some destinations(eg. Malaga) are not bookable anymore. I can understand this move by Ryanair as they are not sure if they are able to operate this flights.
And despite I believe dat reducing the opening times by 1 hour shouldn't make to much of a difference for Ryanair, it does create chaos in their summer schedules as most aircraft are timed to arrive back for the night between 23:00 and 24:00. It's more or less to late now to change the timings of all the other flights.
They will have to reschedule more or less all the flights for the winter season and try not to lose to many frequency's in that process.

cesare.caldi
22nd Apr 2009, 22:11
The Higher Administrative Court in Münster, Germany, has restricted today the operation hours of the airport NRN- Weeze (to between 6:00 - 22:00 only).

When begin the effects of this decision?

Jippie
23rd Apr 2009, 08:25
Next week:eek: 1st of may.

racedo
23rd Apr 2009, 08:54
Wonder who is behind the decision.

Local Pols, Lufty or someone else ?

pee
23rd Apr 2009, 10:45
Blackmailing again (not unjustifiably, though).
Obviously, there might be a good reason to criticize the Court's decision. The trend of limiting the time-frame of operations at European airports is pretty disturbing. That is even harder to accept when the airport like this one is located SO FAR from the nearest centre of population (any bigger city). BUT, regardless of that, what's the point in threatening the Court???

Otherwise, the timing is unbelievable, such a hasty enforcement of that ruling. Why breaking thousands of binding contracts between carriers and PAX at so short notice... by the force of law?

racedo
23rd Apr 2009, 10:49
Otherwise, the timing is unbelievable, such a hasty enforcement of that ruling. Why breaking thousands of binding contracts between carriers and PAX at so short notice... by the force of law?

Its why I am wondering who is behind the decision as it looks political with someone in the background pulling big strings.

23rd Apr 2009, 19:10
Impressive job loss claims (2500) for DUS lite
Must be damn near 70% of ryr's workforce.

Does anyone take this sort of rubbish seriously

babemagnet
23rd Apr 2009, 19:25
2500 people they mean: cabin crew,pilots,mechanics,Handling,loaders,fireman,fuellers,atc, check inn,security,customs,imigration,bus drivers,etc etc Or you do not understand that????

davidjohnson6
23rd Apr 2009, 19:35
babemagnet - 2500 people for a relatively small airport which is mainly used for Dutch and Germans to go on holiday and with *relatively* little inbound local tourism sounds on the high side, even when you include all the local economic benefits. I would be surprised if there are many hotels / restaurants around Weeze seeing *substantial* amounts of trade from inbound tourists. Sure, there are jobs that depend on Weeze, but I imagine most are direct jobs (e.g. firecrew or people working at shops in the airport) rather than indirect.

I imagine that the main business trade goes through Dusseldorf's main airport (or FRA) rather than NRN. I guess cargo would mainly head for the much larger FRA, AMS, CGN or LGG. As for tourism, I haven't seen many ads for '2 weeks in the sunny Ruhr ! :}

conradmueller
23rd Apr 2009, 20:19
Thats true.
You should be always careful, when anyone from FR opens their mouth. They tend to blow everything up like a baloon. People might think they are giving development aid to NRN.

Based
24th Apr 2009, 07:16
While undoubtedly at the higher end of the scale, 1 job per 1000 passengers, whether direct or indirect, is as good an estimation as any really. Approximately 15% of Ryanair's current weekly schedule is affected by this ruling with one weeks notice - I stupidly thought even the Ryanair bashers might acknowledge that it's the court that's being the most unreasonable of the two here.

Cyrano
24th Apr 2009, 16:43
While undoubtedly at the higher end of the scale, 1 job per 1000 passengers, whether direct or indirect, is as good an estimation as any really.

But why is it "as good as any"? Why not 1 per 100 or 1 per 10000? I'm not aware of Ryanair ever providing a justification for their passengers/jobs "exchange rate".

I'd suggest there are two sorts of jobs created by air services: the direct ones (check-in staff, airport handlers, etc.), and the indirect ones (companies being able to win more international business because they can reach their customers more easily, so they hire more staff; or jobs in tourism thanks to an increase in the number of tourists).

It should be pretty obvious that a new route opening up an underdeveloped tourist area, or dramatically improving business connectivity, will have a different employment impact to a "more of the same" service in competition with existing routes.

It's not as though NRW is an area underserved with transport links, and I suspect most of the passengers are originating from NRN rather than inbound to the area, so the Ryanair network there is unlikely to be contributing much indirectly to the local economy. Indeed, if it's facilitating local people travelling abroad (which of course they have every right to do :) ) you could argue that it's helping to take money out of the local economy. But that's globalisation and the single market.

Bottom line: I give as much credence to Ryanair's one-size-fits-all jobs/passengers exchange rate as I do to the official Zimbabwe dollar exchange rate...

Based
24th Apr 2009, 17:36
It's a 'as good as any' because there's no exact science in calculating these figures. Here's a link to an estimation by a number of aviation sources across Europe: http://www.eraa.org/intranet/documents/14/427/061005fastfacts.pdf

They estimate 4,000 jobs per 1 million passengers which actually makes Ryanair's 2,500 for 2.5 million passengers look like an under-estimation! I'm not really sure why you're bringing currency exchange rates into this.

davidjohnson6
24th Apr 2009, 18:04
Based - interesting to read, but have these numbers by validated by any independent organisations ?

I suspect the European Regions Airline Asociation whose mission statement is:

ERA is, and will remain, the principal body that represents the interests of organisations involved in intra-European air transport by:
Influencing regulatory and environmental conditions
Facilitating technical cooperation and advancement, and;
Gaining public and political supportare biased in favour of regional airlines / airports when making claims about how many local jobs are created by new regional air routes. It is possible that the numbers are correct, but there is a strong conflict of interest here.

Based
25th Apr 2009, 17:42
davidjohnson6, I don't know the background to the research but no, these numbers won't have been validated by an independent organisation as it wouldn't be feasible to do so. It would only be possible to validate their estimation techniques which I assume, although don't know, forms part of the observer role which included the European Commission.

I don't see why you call it a strong conflict of interest, yes clearly it's in the European Regions Airline Association interest to highlight the maximum number of jobs that they believe is created by aviation, however they will only achieve any recognition of their claims through the use of acceptable and adequate research techniques. Given the organisations willingly putting their names to this and the fact that the European Commission acted as observers, again I can only assume that there is solid basis for their claims.

davidjohnson6
26th Apr 2009, 09:59
This might be getting into thread drift - mods please advise if you think this should be a separate thread.

Given the high profile that commercial aviation has in Europe, I would have expected the EU, national Govt, or at the very least someone in a university to have wanted to do and publish some sort of research into how adding flights to regional airports would affect local employment. At the very least, academics in universities are always looking for something new to publish. It just becomes a matter of trawling through various journals and EU reports to find the relevant data - which is exactly the kind of thing the ERAA should know about when it comes to lobbying policymakers in Govt as it becomes much easier to convince ministers that way. Think how good it would look for MOL if he could back up his claims on job creation from a neutral body whenever the EU investigates Govt-owned airports paying FR substantial marketing fees - just claim it as a valid job creation measure ! I note the ERAA have not in this case referred to data from a neutral source.

The 2-page document from the ERAA reads and looks like a PR document, saying only how wonderful the aviation industry is. The golden rule in PR is never to lie, but one can always be selective in what is discussed. Thus in stating a 'jobs created' figure, one could choose a set of assumptions under which the job creation figure looks best. Furthermore, if you worked for the ERAA and knew that your salary ultimately was paid by regional airlines and airports - it would seem a bad career move to publish something negative about aviation.

A while ago, an Irish airport (Dublin ?) refused to subsidise a Ryanair route to Morocco (Marrakech ?). FR responded by saying how many *Irish* tourism jobs would be lost. I've seen a lot of tourists from north Europe in Morocco, but I haven't seen many Moroccan tourists in north Europe.

Yes, aviation does create jobs, but I think the ERAA and FR are both overstating the job creation rate.

tosch19
26th Apr 2009, 18:04
MOL is talking about 2500 jobs's, but when you see the lokal newspaper in lowerrhine area they all are talking about 1000 Jobs in an area were 200k people live.

Based
27th Apr 2009, 07:40
Thus in stating a 'jobs created' figure, one could choose a set of assumptions under which the job creation figure looks best

And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the ERAA did! Clearly each party is going to make claims that is in their best interest, using acceptable estimation techniques and assumptions to do so is what is important when the true figures cannot viably be obtained. This should have been part of the European Commission's observer role, and is something I have to assume given that they are widely regarded as a credible source and that I cannot verify every piece of information provided to me.

Think how good it would look for MOL if he could back up his claims on job creation from a neutral body whenever the EU investigates Govt-owned airports paying FR substantial marketing fees - just claim it as a valid job creation measure !

What are you talking about here? This research was observed by the European Commission, these are the people who are investigating these airport deals. Not that it would be an important input but surely using something the European Commission has put it's name to is even better than a neutral body!

To get back on topic my only reason for linking to the ERAA document was to point out that Ryanair's estimation of job losses is not completely off the wall and is as valid as any. Some may feel it's overstated, the ERAA may feel the opposite but it's not something that's likely ever to be validated with real data. To get back even further on topic, jobs (exactly how many, who knows!) are at threat here due to a court decision to restrict the hours of operation at Weeze airport at one weeks notice, now that is off the wall!

AndyH52
27th Apr 2009, 10:41
Research carried out for the 2002 White Paper on future air transport development in the UK noted that a ratio of 1,000 employees per 1 million passengers was a commonly used 'rule of thumb'. The DoT funded detailed research by ECOTEC and Oxford Economic Forecasting (OEF) which suggested that whilst circumstances differ for individual airports as a broad measure it's reasonable to use. Things tend to get harder to evaluate as you move away from direct impacts of aviation.

29th Apr 2009, 07:21
See the Oaf put his foot in his mouth again....

"Swine Flu only affects slumdwellers, a few Strepsils will sort it out"

Source: RTE Morning Ireland ('it says in the papers') 29/4/09

Will this be the excuse for the next set of dreadful figures I wonder?