PDA

View Full Version : Tornado GR Ferry Tips?

BluntM8
3rd May 2007, 21:08
Bit of a spotter's one, I'm afraid.

At work there's a picture of a GR, taken from below which seems to show a much more rounded tip to the wing, with no Nav light. It seems to come back from the end of the slat in almost a constant curve to a point about 12" outboard of the flap track. There's no indication of any areials (sp, sorry!) or anything.

So, is it a ferry tip, or what?

BluntM8

Olly O'Leg
4th May 2007, 00:21
I'm honestly not taking the Michael, but it isn't an F-14 is it???

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/vf11/f-14size.gif

BluntM8
4th May 2007, 06:26
The Skyshadow we were studying suggests otherwise! :}
Defo a GR4. I'll see if I can get a copy to link to, but no promises.

A2QFI
4th May 2007, 06:46
The link you have posted is 100% defo an F 14!

TonkaEngO
4th May 2007, 07:35
BM8 - no such thing as a "Ferry wing tip".

The link posted is surely just to inform all of what an F14 looks like? Awaiting link to view orig pic.

Kitbag
4th May 2007, 09:20
Best I can recall the wing tips were riveted in place- pain in the rissole to replace them

BluntM8
4th May 2007, 10:31
I'll have another look. I think it might just be the angle from which the photograph is taken. If I can, I'll try to get a copy of the image to post, but since it's in part of the AWC dealing with EW I don't think I'll get a camera in there.
What confused me was that there didn't seem to be a nav/strobe light on the end, nor was there a black patch which I would expect to see (Notch aerial? Cover for some other aerial?) Also, it seems significantly more curved than the normal wingtip.
And yes, it is defo 100% a Tornado! :}

WolvoWill
4th May 2007, 11:15
Not a trials aircraft is it? Usually recognisable by black and white circled 'dots' on parts of the airframe/weapon to help take measurements from when studying the video.

I imagine for testing the underwing release parameters of Storm Shadow or similar, a modified wing tip with cameras could conceivably have been fitted to film the release.

Without photos though its hard to do anything other than speculate :)

Olly O'Leg
4th May 2007, 18:33
Sorry for adding a little confusion there!!!

The only reason that I thought it might have been an F-14 is that I trawled through this Tornado website:

http://www.tornado-data.com/

and couldn't see anything that resembled the wingtips you described on any of the trials aircraft pictures. Can't help otherwise. But for Tornado history and production info, this is a very good website. :D

You mention that it's a planform picture from below, but if you can see any of the lower portion of the fin, the abscence of the fillet at the bottom-rear of the fin may indicate a trials jet (although some of them did have the fillet). I know, I know: GEEK ALERT!!!! :8