PDA

View Full Version : wifi laptop conection

jimgriff
2nd May 2007, 21:07
I have bought a new laptop and would like to connect to an existing server in the house.
It is a secure server and (yes, you guessed) forgotten the password.
My other laptop connect automatically !!

Any hints tips?
Is my password stored on my old laptop anywhere?
I have tried all the usual paswords that I use but to no avail.

James 1077
2nd May 2007, 21:20
You'll probably need to reset the password on your router.

If you haven't changed the settings then the router address is normally http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.1.1).

Standard passwords vary on routers but it is often admin and admin (and if it is then change it ASAP otherwise no point in having any security). If you can't remember that then you need to reset the whole router to factory which is by pressing a small screwdriver into a little hole at the back of the router.

That said there may be a hack to get the password elsewhere but this is what I would do (and have done!).

Keef
2nd May 2007, 23:40
Most routers come with a "default" password etc. If you Google with the make and model, you can probably find the default.

If it's been changed, there's usually a "reset" button that will put it back to the default.

Saab Dastard
3rd May 2007, 11:58
Jim,

By "server", what do you mean? Do you mean "wireless access point"? Do you mean a networked computer acting as a file server?

SD

jimgriff
3rd May 2007, 13:08
Server= Little white box with flashing lights and ariel on it that connects my old laptop to web thingy via wireless.

airborne_artist
3rd May 2007, 14:53
Jim - a server is a big fat hard disk connected to a network, which stores files ready to be accessed by the network's users.

What you have is a router - which acts like a signal box on a railway - it controls the traffic, and sends the packets (trains) on the right route.

Saab Dastard
3rd May 2007, 15:46
OK, so you mean wifi access point / router.

So which password have you forgotten?

The Admin account password for configuring the "Little white box with flashing lights and ariel on it"?

Or the WEP / WPA keyphrase?

If the former, others have suggested ways to reset. If the latter, you can use the admin account to set a new one, which you then need to apply to ALL PCs that you want to connect.

SD

born2fly_au
3rd May 2007, 17:50
What is the make & Model of the router?
I would definity suggest checking it is set to WPA in preference to WEP.

If you have forgotten your passwords then the only way to fix it is to reset the router and reconfigure it.

Make sure you use a LONG, Strong Passphrase. There are plenty of password generators available on the internet.

Just make sure you also change the passphrases on all hardware connected to the router so they are all the same as well.
Born2fly

Saab Dastard
3rd May 2007, 19:21
Here's a tip for configuring a wifi access point with a VERY STRONG key, but one that is easy to remember.

First set up a 128-bit WEP key based on an easy-to-remember pass-phrase.

Now copy the 128-bit key and paste it into the WPA setup.

Job done!

SD