PDA

View Full Version : Wifi signal booster

Fokkerwokker
2nd May 2007, 18:41
My laptop limps to pick up a decent signal in my study, which is about 10 yds from the transmitter via a couple of walls, although the Desktop is fine with it.

I was wondering if a wifi signal booster is worth it to boost the signal from the main house?

If so any makes fare better than others?

Ta!

FW

green granite
2nd May 2007, 19:32
Have you tried altering the angle of the antenna on the router, say from vertical to horizontal and seeing if it improves matters, it makes quite a difference on my system.

Fokkerwokker
2nd May 2007, 20:13
Good point GG.

Will give that a go:ok:

Keef
2nd May 2007, 20:16
Trying different antenna (aerial) arrangements is the way to go. If that fails, then the repeaters offered by most of the major manufacturers will do a job.

I've not tried one (antenna shuffling sorted it for me), but the word from several folks who have says "Use the device from the firm that made your existing WiFi equipment".

You also have twice the fun shuffling antennas!

James 1077
2nd May 2007, 21:24
I say move the router if the problem is bad at that sort of distance.

I had a similar issue and moving the router by about 1 foot solved it completely (I found out later that the wall had large numbers of wires in it right by where I had initially put the router).

born2fly_au
3rd May 2007, 21:28
I had a similar problem not that long ago. Make sure it is away from other computer hardware and up high on a shelf if you can. I had mine sitting about waist high on my computer desk and couldn't even get a signal on the other side of the room 10 feet away. now it is mounted about 6 feet off the floor and has a good signal at the other end of the house. It doesn't take much interferance to distroy a good signal.
Born2fly

Saab Dastard
4th May 2007, 17:42
You can buy aerials to improve the wifi signal reception. These are usually only feasible for the access point (and even then not all APs have replacable aerials) or desktop wifi cards, with SMA connectors.

Given that the standard PC wifi card will have the aerial at the back of the PC, with a ruddy great lump of tin on top of it, probably a monitor in close attendance also, adding an external aerial is probably the single best thing you can do.

I bought a very simple antenna that sits on the top of the PC case (magnetic base) from Maplin for £10 - here's the link (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38209&&source=14&doy=4m5). Makes a huge difference! :ok:

SD

tech9803
5th May 2007, 05:30
Wi-fi signals can be substantially degraded by any interference in the 'Fresnel zone' close to the unit. There is a mathematical formula for the exact area and dimensions of this, but a rule of thumb for a standard-type 802.11 access point is 2-3ft horizontally and 1ft above and below. Try to position the unit away from large masses of metal or electrical equipment.

tallsandwich
5th May 2007, 21:02
Don't forget you can get directional aerials too which may help.

Ceannairceach
5th May 2007, 22:06
As an aside the new wireless technology standard - wireless n I believe - has supposedly greater range and power than current standards. So hopefully this sort of problem might become a thing of the past.

Of course, they could just be fibbing in order to flog us yet more wi-fi gear :E

Terrey
6th May 2007, 07:34
Try one of these ... http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

Brewster Buffalo
7th May 2007, 14:21
I thought of using an aerial to improve reception but sadly my laptop doen't seem to have a SMA socket ..:{

Are they standard laptop fittings now?

Saab Dastard
7th May 2007, 14:48
No, I've never seen a laptop with an SMA connector.

I don't think that I've ever seen a PC card with an SMA connector either.

SD

John Boeman
8th May 2007, 10:16
A couple of my colleagues have found that when in hotels, they considerably improved the wireless reception of their laptops by plugging one of these into their usb ports.
Edimax EW-7317UHg 802.11g Hi-Gain Wireless LAN USB Adapter

airborne_artist
9th May 2007, 08:40
I've just improved the reception of a PCI card adapter, with a 4" rubber antenna, by putting a post-card sized sheet of metal behind it. I can only guess it's reflecting some signal onto the antenna, a bit like a satellite dish.

Try making or buying a metal saucer, or use a handy silver salver!