PDA

View Full Version : SG CPL conversion?

CRJ-220
2nd May 2007, 08:16
I know if u get CPL from Massey NZ you can get the CASA SG CPL . but is that only apply to Singaporean? or can other nationals from Massey can get it as well?

Thermal Image
2nd May 2007, 16:17
If you are referring to this statement about Singaporeans and Massey in Paragraph 3.15 here (http://www.caas.gov.sg/caas/en/e-Services/Aircraft_Maintenance_Engineers/faq.html):

on careful reading it refer to a "concession" of sorts for Singaporeans to get a NZ CPL from Massey, and then at CAAS' discretion (get it right - CAAS not CASA) convert that NZ CPL to a Singapore CPL.

Foreigners are not part of this concession, Massey or no Massey.

Foreigners come under another rule, being that usually, CAAS will consider converting your CPL so long as it is from an ICAO signatory (but in reality where 250-hour pilots are concerned they "prefer" UK or Malaysian CPLs and sometimes Canadian CPLs and almost NEVER FAA CPLs), PROVIDED you have a job offer from a local operator (meaning the operator uses aircraft with 9V- registration).

Of course you may reason that since NZ CPLs are good enough for CAAS to convert, then whether Singaporean or foreigner, therefore it ought to be good enough regardless of nationality.

There lies one of the great mysteries of aviation in Singapore - CAAS is not an organisation that you can reason with using logic (thus far). But change is in the air with Rocky Teo in charge. So things are looking up somewhat. But I digress.

So go and get an offer in writing first from whatever operator you wish to work for and then hope that CAAS will not block your application to convert your CPL.

And then post your experience here.

(Edited to reflect correct reference to para 3.15.)

CRJ-220
3rd May 2007, 08:53
Thanks man great help !

I am just student pilot and starting to look for what i can do after i get

out from here. I was thinking since all the SG guys in my school talks

about getting SG CPL I thought there could be a way to convert

mine easier than what it should be... I guess SG only has SIA and its not

really possible to get a flying role as CPL... but my plan was tryin to

get the job as instructor in SYFC

MelbPilot85
3rd May 2007, 09:00
To convert a bare bones CPL to get a Singaporean CPL you will have to do the full ATPL exams, all 8 of them. If you hold a foreign ATPL already (not just exam credits) then different rules apply

thornycactus
3rd May 2007, 11:45
Thermal Image, I fully agreed. Nationality plays an important role when comes into licence conversion. At least somebody voices out here.

Sunny_Always
3rd May 2007, 12:01
CRJ 220, which school you're from? im also thinking of instructing at syfc till 26 and im going ppl fht at syfc this month

CRJ-220
4th May 2007, 02:14
Massey NZ...