PDA

View Full Version : Trigger NOTAM, Useful or not?

Mike Cross
1st May 2007, 14:07
With my AOPA NOTAM Rep hat on.....

UK AIS are wondering whether or not to filter Trigger NOTAM out of their briefings.

Published information, such as the AIP is updated on a fixed 28 day cycle, known as the AIRAC cycle. Changes are normally arranged to coincide with the cycle so that at least 28 days notice is given before the change takes effect. A Trigger NOTAM, which is normaly valid for 15 days, is issued to alert people to the change.

Where the change can't be fitted into the AIRAC cycle, either because it is short notice or because the effective date does not coincide with the cycle, an ordinary NOTAM is issued and withdrawn once the published information has been updated.

The difference is that with a Trigger NOTAM the published information is up to date and correct, while the ordinary NOTAM is telling you that the published information is incorrect.

Historically, Trigger NOTAM have been of use to those who maintain AIS publications or databases derived from them. They're not a great deal of use to the average GA pilot. If he subscribes to a properly updated Flight Guide his info will be updated anyway and unless he takes a brief that will include the information within the 13 day lifetime of the Trigger NOTAM he won't see it anyway.

Should Trigger NOTAM be filtered out of the briefing results? Opinions please.

Rod1
1st May 2007, 14:39
Yes, filter it out.

Rod1

rustle
1st May 2007, 14:54
Leave it in.

If I brief for a trip a fortnight in advance then re-brief and only pick up changes I'll lose that info if it was never in the brief in the first place.

One of the "useful"* features of the site is the ability to rebrief only deltas.

* I found one :D

Fuji Abound
1st May 2007, 15:14
Another leave it in.