PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Bonus Day - Light Twins - 12th May 2007

alphaalpha
1st May 2007, 12:44
Duxford Bonus Day -- All light twins -- May 12th 2007

The next event is the Twin Bonus Day on 21st April. -- arrive in any light twin and enjoy the discounts and benefits below.

Duxford is home the Imperial War Museum and must be the premier destination for GA pilots in Europe. Most weekends through the flying season, although there are no guarantees, you are quite likely to see warbirds flying -- Spitfire, Hurricane, B17, Catalina and other rare types are based at Duxford.

This weekend is shortly before the May airshow, so it is quite probable that there will be some practice displays flown.

The Bonus days offer substantially discounted prices: qualifying types of aircraft (or pilots) will enjoy half-price landing fees and much reduced museum admission. A single or a twin can land for £7; museum entry is £7 for most adults and children come in free. In the case of the November and December Bonus days, all aircraft will qualify.

The 2007 programme gets better. On Bonus days only, the Briefing Room and balcony on the first floor of the historic Control Tower is freely available for Bonus pilots and their passengers and on most Bonus days, we will organise a short guided tour of some part of the museum, probably starting at 12.30 (local). The £20+ million ‘AirSpace’ project is already partly open and will be complete this Summer – really a ‘must-see.’

Further information about the Bonus Days and information for fly-in visitors can be found on the web site http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/

The airfield team will be delighted to hear from forumites (call for PPR and briefing 01223 833376) and to see you on the day.

Future bonus days are:
June 2nd: Bulldog and Pup Bonus Day – arrive in a Bulldog or Pup
July 14th Taildragger/Robin Bonus Day – any Robin or any taildragger
Aug11th Piper Bonus Day – any Piper Single
Sept 1st Surprise Bonus Day (watch the press)
Oct 27th Halloween Bonus (any aircraft – wear costume)
Dec 15th Christmas Dinner Bonus Day

Just for people who don’t know, I should declare my interest. I’m a casual FISO at Duxford. I’m also a pilot who thinks the place is pretty marvellous.

Alan.

DX Wombat
1st May 2007, 20:39
Anybody got any ideas how I can make a 152 look like a light twin for the day? :E

Fright Level
2nd May 2007, 11:55
Alan, I'm trying to find out info on flying into Duxford on airshow days (this Sat BBMF etc) but the IWM website link seems out of date. The AIC link mentions 2006 shows but actually doesn't work and other links to special days open blank pages.

I'd like to avoid the car park queues and fly in if possible. Can it still be done?

alphaalpha
5th May 2007, 21:19
EDDNR:

Sorry, this reply is too late for the BBMF day (today 5th May), The main airshows this year are 20 May; 7&8 July; 8&9 September and 14 Oct.

You can fly into any or all of them. You need to read the 2007 AIC (28/2007 Yellow 239), which you can get from the AIS site or by email from Duxford. You need a slot which you can get by phoning the tower with the AIC in front of you 01223 833376. There are still slots available for all the airshows.

The BBMF day today was very nostalgic - Spitfires and Hurricanes; the Lancaster which brings a lump to your throat and, by way of a complete contrast, the Typhoon, which flew a duo with a Spit followed by its solo spot.

If you can't make the airshows, come for one of the Bonus Days. You'll be welcome.

I'll double check the web site info next time I'm there.

All the best
Alan.

alphaalpha
5th May 2007, 21:22
DX Wombat:

Patience, several of the Bonus Days later in the year are for any aircraft. I won't say "even a C152," 'cos like most people, I trained in one, too.

Alan.

DX Wombat
5th May 2007, 22:17
I won't say "even a C152," 'cos like most people, I trained in one, too. :ok:
That was really meant as a bit of fun. In actual fact I don't have access to ANY 152 at the moment let alone my favourite one :{ :{ :{ I have to make do with flying the Plastic Duckling for the time being.

alphaalpha
9th May 2007, 14:00
We've got plenty of space on Saturday 12th. Any more twins thinking of coming?Just call 01223 833376 for PPR.

Alan.

Fright Level
10th May 2007, 09:30
Thanks AA. I did come to the BBMF day and the Lanc was the highlight for me. Traffic was nowhere near as bad as I thought.

I'd seen the flying programme on the website, but didn't print out a copy. It would have been nice to have been given a photocopied sheet of this on entry as we spent much of the day not knowing what was going to happen next. We were stood near the Lanc most of the time and couldn't hear the PA system at all.

If you can check the website problems, that would be great. Not sure what other dates I can make yet until I get my roster.

alphaalpha
12th May 2007, 06:27
EDDNR:

The main info on the airshows on the Duxford site is up-to-date, it's just one page that is old. There's a software problem.

Here's a link to 2007 info:
http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.00d004

The airshow dates are:
20th May 2007
7 & 8 July 2007
8 & 9 September 2007
14 October 2007.

To book an arrival slot, you need to read the 2007 AIC (which we can email to you, if needed) and phone us 01223 833376.

Rotary pilots may also be interested in Helitech on at Duxford 2-4 October 2007.

I agree about the BBMF day. It wasn't planned as an 'airshow,' and the event turned out to be bigger than anyone expected. Some lovely flying sequences, though. I don't know when we see the whole of the BBMF in the air again.

It's blue sky out of the window this morning and I'm just off to Duxford :) :)

Alan.