PDA

View Full Version : Success storys

bgw
30th Apr 2007, 20:04
Hi
I am really keen to do my cpl(h) + any other ratings to get that first job, but iv been slightly put off by the storys posted of people spending 60k+ on training and having no job at the end of it.
Does any one have any positive storys after training and what would be the best route to take.
Your help would be much appreciated.

jeepys
30th Apr 2007, 20:30
60k will not get you a job. It will only just about get you a CPL(H). From then on you will either have to get total of 250 hours then do a F.I. course which may be another 10k or so or do a I.R. which is in the region of 30-40k.
Once you have done one of these then you will get work. 60k is just the start unfortunately.
On a positive side it's not all doom and gloom as some people may think. You pay your money work hard and the benefits are there eventually.
Good luck.

McGowan
30th Apr 2007, 21:58
It's the same all over the world, you can't get a job until you get a licence. Get that, which will require hard work and a lot of money and you have a way into the industry where you can start to learn and gain experience. Your experience level will mirror you pay level, low hours, low pay, higher hours, higher pay.
Also, helicopter operators are hiring "a person" with a licence, not just a "licence".
It is up to you to sell yourself as someone worth having on the payroll.

And that's the same no matter what industry you want to work in.

bgw
1st May 2007, 18:33
Thanks for that info.

maxeemum
2nd May 2007, 06:44
"OR" you could apply to be a military helicopter pilot. Like the civil industry there are a shortage of pilots in the forces aswell. You'll never know if you don't ask.......

Max

:ok:

helimutt
2nd May 2007, 07:32
Go on then. I'll tell you something positive. Over the last few years I spent approx £110k which gave me PPL(H), PPL(A), CPL(H), FI(H), Ratings on R22, R44, B206, AS355. oh, and a multi engine IR(H)! I managed to get to about 1000 hours flying by instructing part time and some part time commercial stuff and was then taken on with an offshore operator flying multi crew S76. At this time there was also a much younger guy taken on with a SEIR(H) and 300hours TT. He is now typed on S76 and flying offshore. (his training cost him about 75k.)
Anyway, would I do it all again? Probably, even knowing what I know now. The reason? Because I had a dream to fly for a living and fixed wing just doesn't 'float my boat' so to speak. So the main positive for me is the fact I get up in a morning, looking forward to going to work. How many people do you know who feel like that every day? Not many I bet. Or maybe i'm just a sad case?:E
If you want something badly enough, give it a go. What have you got to lose. You only get one life. This isn't a dress rehearsal for the real thing!!!:ok

helimutt
2nd May 2007, 08:24
have to disagree slightly that offshore is half the work of instructing. in terms of stress? hours flown? risk? I can see there may eventually be a monotony to offshore flying but it certainly isn't an easy option. Not all of us earn fantastic salaries offshore!

Flew more hours last week than I did any week of full time instructing.

helimutt
2nd May 2007, 08:31
and on that point i agree. :ok:

Sliding Doors
2nd May 2007, 12:17
Any amount of money and all the ratings in the world won't GUARANTEE you work.

A CPL and IR will most definately help - but the 'person' also counts for a lot.

Now if you want a lucky guy, check the link and scroll to the bottom :ok:

Jammy bugger :E

http://www.harrodsaviation.com/corp_ah_manage_crew.html

airborne_artist
3rd May 2007, 10:25
Noted that 50% of the AH team were trained in the Forces. It's not the only way, but it's a good way.