PDA

View Full Version : Elec Emer config

Anthony081
30th Apr 2007, 14:48
Hi All
I have a snag that I need help with,
A/C in flight at FL 070 Gen1, then APU GEN then AC bus 1 (no action on A/C essential feed PB) At which point AC2 failed, and the RAT autodeployed , Ess system poweredby RAT

Why did the AC2 fail when gen 2 is still running and AC bus 2 is tied, and why has the rat deployed.

This is a A320 full flight level D sim

Thanks

captain87
30th Apr 2007, 17:33
Unlikely I haven't understood very well what you would like to know.
If an aircraft is in ELEC EMER CONFIG, the RAT will automatically deploy and both AC buses remain powered. In addition to this, it's important to say that some loads are shed, such galleys, the FO ND and PFD and the lower ECAM. I think that you would't like to know it.
But it's sure that if in the simulator there is a loss of the AC bus 2 consequentially to the ELEC EMER CONF,something has been wrong !
A question: Is there a Level-D simulator for A320 ?
Thank and regards

Mäx Reverse
30th Apr 2007, 17:46
Well, it sort of depends which bunch of buttons your instructor pushed :)

The RAT deployes when Airsped > 100 kts AND AC Bus 1 Off AND AC Bus 2 Off, so that's normal system behaviour.

Why your AC Bus 2 failed I don't see any reason in your description. Might be a GEN 2 Fault or anything else that the ECAM weighs with a lower priority and that you would only see after clearing your multiple Bus faults and possibly other stuff 'at the top of the list'.

Regards, MAX

Speevy
30th Apr 2007, 18:08
From the Bible(Fcom):

EMERGENCY GENERATION AFTER LOSS OF ALL MAIN GENERATORS

If both AC BUS 1 and AC BUS 2 are lost and the aircraft speed is above 100 knots, the Ram Air Turbine (RAT) extends automatically. This powers the blue hydraulic system, which drives the emergency generator by means of a hydraulic motor. This generator supplies the AC ESS BUS, and the DC ESS BUS via the ESS TR.

If the RAT stalls, or if the aircraft is on the ground with a speed below 100 knots, the emergency generator has nothing to drive it. The emergency generation network automatically transfers to the batteries and static inverter, and the system automatically sheds the AC SHED ESS and DC SHED ESS buses.

When the aircraft is on ground :

Below 100 knots, DC BAT BUS is automatically connected to the batteries.

Below 50 knots, AC ESS BUS is automatically shed, leading to the loss of all CRTs.

Note : During RAT extension and emergency generator coupling (about 8 seconds), the batteries power the emergency generation network.

Note (my personal one): Captain87 with Rat out the two Ac1/2 bus are not powered by the Rat, in fact the emm gen only powers the Ac ess and Dc ess just as stated above..

Max Reverse, what about an AC2 bus fault or even a sub bus failure?
The bus itself could have a problem even if Gen2 is running?

Speevy

Anthony081
1st May 2007, 17:15
Yes there are A320 at CAE burgess hill, 3 of them Full Flight Simulators, hope this answers your question.

Fliegermaus
2nd May 2007, 06:33
There are also two Level D A320 simulators in Hong Kong, one at Dragonair and another at CX City (GECAT.)

Cheers!

captain87
2nd May 2007, 06:42
For Speevy

Yes it's true, Who has said the contrary ?
With RAT out, the AC buses remains on battery power until reaching a minimum level of 22.5 v ... to allow an APU start on ground ...

Kind regards ! nothing of private of course !!!

Mäx Reverse
2nd May 2007, 08:42
@ captain87

With RAT out, the AC buses remains on battery power until reaching a minimum level of 22.5 v ... to allow an APU start on ground ...

NO, SIR! := Tha'ts not making any sense at all.

In your first an last posting you stated twice that AC BUS 1 an d 2 remain powered in EMER ELEC (i.e. during RAT-Operation). That's not correct, I'm afraid.

With RAT out AND EMER GEN running, the AC ESS BUS and the DC ESS BUS are powered and off course the HOT BAT Busses. That's it.

An APU Start on GND after Landing with EMER ELEC would be the least of my concerns:confused:

Kind Regards, MAX

Speevy
2nd May 2007, 08:48
Cheers Max Rev. it seemed for a while to me I was not able to read the manuals any more:confused:

Good luck and Good Flying
Speevy

captain87
2nd May 2007, 09:21
Yes of course, you've reason !
Pheraps I have mentioned the AC buses instead of the Ess buses, but I've studied that all AC and DC Ess buses (through the TR) are normally powered by the AC bus 1 ... by the AC bus 2 if we select AC Ess feed on Alternate ... in case of AC bus 1 failure ...
Obviously many electrical loads are shed in ELEC Emer Config, but I have stated that ever the AC buses remain umpowered ... only on the ground below 50 kts ...
Probably I've used the term AC bus instead of AC Ess bus, but I had a clean idea how the elctrical system operates ...

Obviusly I am not justifying my mistake ... cheers !

Nick 1
2nd May 2007, 09:52
As already told you , in the italian forum , this is a professional pilot forum.
Since you have only 5 hours of flying , i'd suggest to you , to read the threads , and reserve you silly reply when you earn some experience in the job.
Cheers.

captain87
2nd May 2007, 10:00
Sorry, I've actually 50 h of flight and I am already studying as professional pilot !

Are there any limitations for students in this forum ? ... I don't believe !!!

Cheers

Mäx Reverse
2nd May 2007, 11:11
No there are no limitations in this forum, anyone with a positive attiitude in search for answers wild find help around here. The range of members is from zero to a WHOLE LOTof experience.

Any questions will be answered, but factual statements obviously lacking the necessary background will be met with reservation.

Becoming a professional pilot means for example that you will have to know by heart the difference between a 'should' and a 'shall' in your operations manual, so it should be possible for you to distinguis between the 'AC Bus' and the 'ESS AC Bus' while referring to your manual, especially if you are preparing for an A320-TR.

If you do so, it would help others not to become unnecessarily confused.

Good Luck, MAX