PDA

View Full Version : *^%$£!!*% Adobe pop-ups, again!!

Cornish Jack
29th Apr 2007, 18:02
What used to be Macromedia, and is now, Adobe, keeps popping up, on almost every site change, 'offering' an upgrade for Flash Player. It constantly holds up requested site loading and, on occasion crashes the connection. If this particular software was the only way I could use a computer, I would still not use it - on principle. It is the most intrusive mis-use of programming I have ever come across - including viruses:mad: At least one can, eventually, get rid of viruses - this piece of trash makes itself invisible. Does anyone out there know how one can find the source of this malware and, more particularly, get rid of it? A useful add-on would be a method of generating a D-o-S attack on the Adobe home site!!!:E
TIA

born2fly_au
29th Apr 2007, 20:26
This is only a notice to let you know there is a newer version available. Simply update to the latest version and the message will go away. It is always a good idea to update to the latest version to fix any bugs.
Allen

frostbite
29th Apr 2007, 21:31
Assuming you have Flash Player installed, go into any preferences/tools/options it may have on the menu bar and see if there is anything ticked such as 'notify me when upgrades are available' or 'check for upgrades' etc..

Then (obviously) un-tick it.

Cornish Jack
29th Apr 2007, 21:59
Thank you, both.
As far as updating is concerned, I wouldn't install anything from this bunch of :mad: s if my life depended on it.
Slightly oddly, Pprune appears to be worse affected than other sites - having changed forum/thread about 30 times, only 2 were left unaffected by this unasked for interference.
Have just done a search for 'flash' and turned up about 50 instances of various sorts. Top of the list was "Install Flash Player" - that has now gone to the Recycle Bin, so maybe, just maybe ... but I won't hold my breath.:mad:

born2fly_au
29th Apr 2007, 22:20
Unfortunatly to view most sites as they are designed you require flashplayer and /or shockwave to view them correctly. if you don't have them installed you will have to view sites in html format but a lot of sites these days do not offer the html option like thay used to. it seems to be one of those things we have to grin and bear.:{ :{ :{

Fluffy Bunny
29th Apr 2007, 22:23
CJ,
Flash, Quicktime, Acrobat, Java are all common ActiveX plugins and browser help objects. You don't actually need the product itself but to accurately view most content on the internet you will need the plugins for IE/Firefox.... whatever browser you're using. Everytime you delete any of these, you will be asked if you wish to reinstall when you visit a website that uses these plugins.