PDA

View Full Version : PPL in the Hawk Sim at RAF Valley

DogfighterF22
29th Apr 2007, 16:54
Hi Folks

Thought I'd share with you my little video of a trip I took in the Hawk Simulator at RAF Valley.

I'm a PPL(A) with 150 hours and had a blast with the Hawk. Bit of a step up from the 'ole 172.

Had a great day and a fantastic evening with the officers in the Mess.

Thanks to everyone who made the trip happen and to all of you who made me feel so welcome.

S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4-GQEIn1w (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4-GQEIn1w)

NutLoose
30th Apr 2007, 01:49
Sweet :) you seem to of had a good day

Norwester
30th Apr 2007, 02:07
0:1:55 into the show... did you make it under the bridge? The film appeared to have been cut. :}

PPRuNeUser0211
30th Apr 2007, 02:43
Ahhhh the HSTF.... how I miss it....

Good video,

don't want to know who made your night a memorable one though;)

Ex F111
30th Apr 2007, 04:54
I particularly liked the unauthorised low level aeros along the runway and in the Mclinteth (sp) loop.

nice one Dogfighter PPL

A2QFI
30th Apr 2007, 07:15
When Boscombe Down were testing the new engine of the GR9 Harrier they had to shut it down in flight and check for relight. Obviously they had to work round the assumption that the engine might not relight. They came to the Wittering simulator and evaluated the possibility of a PFL, to establish the 'key' points in the pattern. I recall that it was dead side at about 15K, turn at the upwind end of the runway and maintain a continuous turn round the pattern. Speed had to be kept up to make the engine windmill at a speed which maintained hydraulics and electrics. In general people could get to the runway but when they slowed in the last mile of the approach the hydraulics and electrics dropped off line and flight could not be maintained.
I recall practicing PFLs in the Gnat and they seemed to work but I don't recall anyone doing one for real and getting away with it. Beagle - any recollections? Glad the OP had a good day in the Hawk sim - it is a fine bit of kit!

BEagle
30th Apr 2007, 08:00
A2QFI, as far as I recall, the instruction to solo students on the Gnat was that we were to eject rather than attempt a forced landing. Anecdotally, there had been fatal accidents when students had tried to land flamed-out Gnats in the past. But we certainly practised them solo, to overshoot only. Obviously with an idling engine, hydraulic power was still available and we weren't authorised to practise manual PFLs solo.

On my FHT I was given a simulated engine fire and manual PFL into Mona - quite busy! Fire drill, STUPRECC and CUBSTUNT all to do all whilst trying to fly the PFL pattern.....

As an aside, we held a visit to the VC10 simulator for the Flying Club. That was when it was still managed by the RAF and a good time was had by all. We tried again after the creeping cancer of contractorisation had infiltrated the simulator - and were told that it wasn't in their contract....:*

So I'm glad that at least one tax payer was able to have a jolly in the Hawk sim - must have been great fun. And vastly better than that tiny little Gnat cockpit in a lorry which was the no-visual Gnat simulator.

Phil_R
30th Apr 2007, 10:58
> So I'm glad that at least one tax payer was able to have a jolly in the Hawk sim

They put one of my actors in the Tornado sim at Marham as well.

Which was fun to watch.

"Up, up!" "Down, down!" "Mind that hill!"

P

A2QFI
30th Apr 2007, 11:12
Thanks for that input Beagle. Despite many hours instructing some of the finer points elude me. I remember that great character, Dennis Hazell, briefing me on my arrival as a very raw B2, that so far as he was concerned, if he got an engine failure, the RAF had just lost a Gnat! He then added that if it was gin clear and he happened to be in the overhead at 10K ft he might give a PFL a try! I remember somebody ploughing into the dunes on the 02 approach when he ran out of standby trim and elevator during a manul PFL. I recall who it was but won't name names as I wouldn't want to upset family or colleagues.

BoeingMEL
30th Apr 2007, 13:02
:ok: Congratulations Simon. This ppruner had the honour and privelige of "flying" the Merlin sim at Benson shortly after being grounded by multiple sclerosis.

Quite a step-up from JetRangers and Twin Squiggles but truly wonderful medicine..and a great bunch of guys .

* For those who may use the word "taxpayer" in subsequent replies, I paid my dues from 1965 til my diagnosis in '97!!

Cheers bm

BEagle
30th Apr 2007, 14:45
A2QFI, if I recall correctly, the Feel Trim Position Indicator mod came about to prevent people getting into that situation by ensuring that the tailplane was set to the correct value in the 'ideal' sector before hyd power from the aileron accumulator was dissipated?

Most sim rides invariably led to a manual reversion so that it became second nature. I was given a hyd fail in the air on the break by my QFI - and another trusted me to fly a manual roller at night. At Mona...:eek: But an intimate knowledge of the longitudinal control sytem (Q-gearing, Cam K, scissor restrictors, locking pins, datum shift.....etc) and its foibles were essential for all students. Speed, Trim and Unlock sounded like a dodgy solicitors' office - but were pretty essential allies!

Sorry, thread creep.

Great indeed that those mates at Benson were able to give you that trip in the Merlin sim, BoeingMEL - I'm sure it was something you'll always remember with great fondness.

x10ge
30th Apr 2007, 20:13
There was at least one in January 72. A red Gnat, out of Kemble, flown by a certain brand new boss whose engine blew up over Pershore. And yes it was a gin clear day. Put it down a treat but the engine had expanded a bit and we had to pull it out with a landrover front and back.

DogfighterF22
1st May 2007, 09:35
Sadly the instructor switched off the camera just as I passed under.

Was still getting the hang of the elevators so the aircraft does pitch quite a lot.

Crash detect was 'Off' for me so I'm not sure, if I did hit the water, whether this would have resulted in the sudden up pitch or whether this was my control input.

I'd like to think I made it tho :-)

S

Kolibear
9th May 2007, 11:07
At least one Gnat made a successful belly-landing http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/Folland%20Gnat%20T%20Mk%201,%20G-BVPP%208-05.pdf