PDA

View Full Version : Skype Question

Centaurus
29th Apr 2007, 13:27
I recently decided to use Skype to talk to other crew members overseas. Comms were first class and the vast majority of comms were from computer to computer while occasionally I did computer to phone (not mobile).

I was staggered at the extra MB used which cut into my normal 400MB monthly allowance by my ISP. Could someone please give me an idea of roughly the MB usage for (say) 15 minutes of Skype conversation computer to computer?

Gouabafla
29th Apr 2007, 16:17
There is a discussion of this topic here (http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=16251).

The bottom line seems to be that there is no agreement, but for some people Skype does seem to consume a huge amount of bandwidth. Worryingly, this can happen when Skype is idle and no messages are being sent. It seems that some users act as 'relays' or 'supernodes' and Skype uses their machines to pass on messages and conversations between other parties. You do not get asked if you want to be a supernode or not!

green granite
29th Apr 2007, 16:46
It also queries the nearest Skype server every 8 seconds or so, so yes it will be heavy on bandwith