PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Flight UK to US

HeloDrvr
29th Apr 2007, 14:09
Been investigating the logistics/ misc. considerations of ferrying of a 109S across the North Atlantic. Getting to the West Coast of Iceland is no problem. However Reykjavik to Greenland is over 400nm. Too far even w/ both factory aux. tanks.

Anyone have experience or knowledge with fuel stops further North and West (BIRF or BIPA or other). Looking for a better launching off point to Greenland.
Also, from the West coast of Greenland at Godthab (BGGH) to Canada is even farther. Anyone have experience with fuel at a point further to the North where the crossing is as little as 190n.m.

Thanks.

carholme
29th Apr 2007, 14:20
Sir;

Without knowing the reasons for the intended trip, would it not be more prudent and cost effective to just RoRo the helicopter to a US East coast destination? Far less worry and it is just a matter of re-installing the blades when you get there.

Regards

carholme

HeloDrvr
29th Apr 2007, 14:34
We have considered several options. This does include shipping by a variety of methods.
Factors to be weighed are cost, time, wear & tear, safety, amongst others.
FYI, I know of two aircraft that were significantly damaged while being shipped from AgustaWestland (Italy) to Agusta Aerospace (USA).
Also, the roll on-roll off option entails much more than landing at the docks and taking the blades off if done properly.

carholme
29th Apr 2007, 15:02
Sir;

Good luck on your flight then. It is only a piece of tin and for the number of a/c that have been RoRo'd, it would far be my choice before risking a flight such as this. If RoRo doesn't interest you, try on deck cargo, we have done this with a Super Puma fully bubble wrapped. We RoRo'd a 214 without problem.

I hope it works well for you.

carholme

SiClick
29th Apr 2007, 16:56
There is fuel at Broughton Island, which is about 280 miles from Sondestrom, but have you considered going east about accross Siberia, Its not much further, just a bit more paperwork!

Two's in
29th Apr 2007, 17:36
If you do a full risk analysis of the two options, you are indisputedly drawn to shipping. Despite the random tales of woe, there are enough companies shipping aircraft on a commercial basis without mishap for this to be the preferred method. With modern day 'shrink' wrapping and protective finishes, it is a guaranteed and insurable risk.

The flight option can only be regarded as a personal risk laden adventure. If that's what you are after, then fine, but commercially it is exposing you to a high percentage chance of the risk of complete loss of the aircraft and the crew, as opposed to shipping whereby damage to the aircraft is the most you need to underwrite.

The sheer unpredictability of the weather at those latitudes, plus the prevailing winds will always put you on the wrong side of the risk equation, or at least with zero margin for error. That's without even considering reliability and maintenance issues, or survivability in case of a mishap. Not many 109 FOBs working off polar ice floes.

'Do I really need to do this?" and "Could it kill me?" are always valid questions for helicopter pilots, and they work in this case.

Aesir
29th Apr 2007, 18:13
Hi.

I live in Iceland. Yes you can get fuel at BIRF for the trip to Greenland BGKK (Kulusuk). From memory I think that is 356NM.

I have flown BIRF to Deadmans point which is the closest practical area in Greenland to land and refueled from drums. That distance is about 290Nm (again from memory!).

Problem with departing from Rif (BIRF) is that it is not an point of entry airport so arrangement has to be done with customs.

From west coast of Greenland I would suggest for shortest distance BISS Sisimiut to Pangitang in Canada. But check for fuel availability in Pangitang and take cash to pay. Broughton Island is also a possibility. But shortest route is from Sisimiut in Greenland. Again Iīm not sure about if its Point of entry airport but you could always just take the chance and just take off from these airports, thatīs what I did and I was never questioned!

You mentioned BIPA, there is no JET-A available there unless you have it trucked there! BIRF is better option and usually if you talk to Icelandic customs and explain that you have a short range aircraft they will allow arrangement with local police to clear you from customs in Iceland. On the whole trip the Icelandic customs will be the strictest, we donīt want any drugs importet here! and in Canada make sure you donīt take any fruit or vegetables into the country. Greenland customs will normally not be very bothered with you expecially when you are leaving the country.

Here is AIP Iceland AD4.
http://www.caa.is/Forsida/FlugmalahandbokinAIP/AeronauticalInformationPublication/

HeloDrvr
29th Apr 2007, 20:09
Thank you very much for the informative responses. I am aware of all the "intangible" considerations and really appreciate the comments regarding logistics.
If it wasn't for fuel & customs concerns, the longest leg airport to airport is as short as 318nm, shorter beach to beach.
The next two longest are 254nm and 188nm.

The no reserve best range of the aircraft is 480nm although I take the manufacturers numbers for just that, numbers.

Just trying to get the all facts to make a decision.

Thanks.

Martin1234
29th Apr 2007, 21:48
HeloDrvr, check your PM.

500e
30th Apr 2007, 21:46
Try here they ship quite a few helios
Clive Chapman
[email protected]

Had a rough quote from them did not pursue as the deal did not come good:suspect: