PDA

View Full Version : CHC - crossover possible?

WSPS
27th Apr 2007, 21:26
Hi there,
am about to start with CHC in a few months and wondered wether it was possible to change location (ie from Scotland to Australia) within the company after a few years?

Is it generally possible or will it cause raised eyebrows...? :=

Or is Global the only option?

Could anyone shed some light please?

Cheers

WSPS

tistisnot
28th Apr 2007, 00:39
I am sure CHC would like to be able to transfer the workforce as demands shift if only they could get a universal payscale agreed.

Pilot seniority and job security fears together with Union protectionism would probably prevent that happening .....

So in short it may be possible but highly unlikely without leaving one group for the other.

Perro Rojo
28th Apr 2007, 05:22
WSPS

Right now CHC Europe and CHC Global are seperate entities and they don't poach on each others territory. To go from one to the other one has to quit the first to join the second.

The Oz operation belongs to CHC Global but is a seperate, closed shop due to the Aussie Federation of Air Wankers and their government regulations.

kwikenz
28th Apr 2007, 06:04
Its all a bit of good old fashioned tit for tat. Because you Europeans make it so damn difficult for anyone else to transfer licences... you should only expect the same treatment elsewhere.

Dunno why having a G reg makes exactely the same aircraft so much more difficult to fly!?

Having spoken to someone in CHC Global not so long ago, she reckoned she could just about send half the pilot workforce from the Northern Hemisphere to Aus... grass is always greener I suppose!

Id say youll get global after a few years no probs as long as they can spare you in Europe. As for getting in to Australia, I think its a bit of an unwritten rule that you have to live and work here first before youll get a chance.

Good luck though :ok:

WSPS
28th Apr 2007, 13:26
Thank you Gentlemen.

First, I have to get started anyway :cool:

It just would have been nice if moving between the different locations was possible.

Cheers

BRASSEMUP
28th Apr 2007, 16:35
But what would you have to do to convert a JAA ATPL(H) to a aussie one, is it just a law exam?

Cheers
:cool:

Impress to inflate
28th Apr 2007, 17:53
At the moment you cannot get an internal transfer from CHC Europe to CHC Australia. You have to resign from to start at the other, I hope this helps.

P.S Where will you be based with CHC ?

WSPS
28th Apr 2007, 19:44
How about changing within Europe then? Any raised eyebrows there ;) ?
I will be with CHC Norway.

kwikenz
29th Apr 2007, 01:37
As far as converting from JAR to CASA its still a bit of a process but vastly easier and less expensive than going the other way!

"As a general rule, to convert a foreign licence to an Australian flight crew licence you must pass a Flight Rules and Air Law written examination and a flight test, and obtain an Australian medical certificate. If you want to convert an overseas rating (eg instrument rating or instructor rating) you need to pass a flight test and either an aural examination or written examination. Examinations and flight tests can only be conducted in Australia." CASA website

I recall to go from CASA to JAR, one has to repeat the entire ATPL ground syllabus and all the appropriate skills / flight tests... months of frustration!

Good luck with your big start though and trust it works out well for you :D

WSPS
29th Apr 2007, 10:25
Although a change from the UK to Australia would definately hold some appeal I really meant it just as an example. I am just trying to find out what the general possibilities are.

CHC is such a vast enterprise and it does seem a bit odd that you do not seem to be able to change from one location to the other while staying in the same company when they are all over the world. Maybe I am getting it wrong and you have to join CHC Global to be able to do that.

Scheduled offshore will be a new experience for me and from other posts you can see that not everyone thinks it is the most exciting flying available ;) . A change of scenery from time to time could be nice.

Personally, I have never been bored in a helicopter but must admit my offshore experience is somewhat different. Just now I am looking forward to spending the next years in Norway. It is a wonderful country but with roots in the UK one might want to move back to an English speaking place at some point...

Cheers

WSPS
29th Apr 2007, 11:04
@flungdung:

I gathered as much already. Everyone in helicopters I know loves to indulge in the pastime of looking at all other possibilities as well. Come on then we all know what it is like ;)

As I have said I am not looking for anything else at all now. It is merely a game of finding out what "could" be possible. And from your post I gather that you are well aware of the "social component" as well...

Having said that I am really looking forward to starting in Norway. They seemed a fantastic outfit right from the start. I will just have to brace myself for lots of rain now :cool:

Keep the rotor(s) in the green