PDA

View Full Version : Is This true that there is no free travel on CX?

nicale
27th Apr 2007, 16:04
By researching this forum, I Understand that CX employees always have to buy ID90 and unlike other airline there is no free travel, and they always have to buy it from HK office. Can someone please clarify this.

Flap 5
27th Apr 2007, 16:18
Which 'other airlines' provide free travel for employees? I don't know of any.

JSB
27th Apr 2007, 16:42
I believe Alitalia for one...
You are right, there is no free travel on CX and ID90 ticket prices seem to keep increasing.
However, you are entitled to up to 4 sectors per year (you and wife for example can travel LON-HKG-SYD return for example) "Free Of Charge" or FOC... In CX "free" means you still pay the taxes.:sad:

energie
27th Apr 2007, 16:50
for CX, is the wife allowed to travel by herself on an ID90 ticket? or does she have to travel with me? how about friends and other family members?

i keep hearing that communting for work as an SO is not doable, but if that's the only way to make it work, that's the only way :ugh:

if anyone has done this, do you mind sharing your experience?

thanks
E

Yeager
27th Apr 2007, 17:54
Well I also know of other airline where you dont get free staff travel..
At CX, like everything else, comes at a higher price tag. ID90 (and any other staff travel) is a money making machine for this money hungry cooporation. Somebody told me that CX actually makes 1% of its total profit on staff travel (yes, right, dont belive in anything you hear - sooo its prob 2%! - or what?!) :eek: :O .

No doubt an ID90 going A-B on CX network is more expensive that ID90 on the same rounte for other airlines. Again - bear in mind your are flying with the f...... best airline in THE world, on the best f...... aircrafts in the world, manned by the best f...... pilots in world - and not to forget managed by the smartest f...... people in the world - like I said - the price tag.

Now go somewhere else buddy - and enjoy your life - smile. :p :O
Y

nicale
27th Apr 2007, 18:28
with Delta and USAir domestics flight are free, and you just pay international tax for international travel.

druglord
27th Apr 2007, 19:47
yeah most US airlines give their employees' kids/wife/parents free travel and ZED or ID90s on most of the others, but there's no way they could employ half the people they do if they didn't because the condtions suck so much.

cpdude
27th Apr 2007, 22:40
Is This true that there is no free travel on CX?

It is true...sad but true!

nicale
27th Apr 2007, 23:03
This might be one other reason CX is loosing pilots to US major airlines. When people travel a lot this things matter.

hostile23
27th Apr 2007, 23:47
Somethings about CX staff travel are free! I can tell you CX staff travel is completely free of service at the staff travel counter!

Want to reach LHR unstressed...........Fly BA.

Sike
28th Apr 2007, 02:06
Is the staff travel space available or are you guaranteed a seat? I have a feeling I know the answer... What's the likelihood of getting a seat in business class?

The Messiah
28th Apr 2007, 03:01
It is space available and out of Hong Kong with the current load factors it is highly unlikely you would get business to London, unless they have absolutely run out of excuses.

Just fly Oasis, the price isn't much more and you are confirmed.

cpdude
28th Apr 2007, 03:54
ID travel out of HKG, you might as well be the competition because that is how they treat you. The bases are completely different and they usually do everything they can to help you get the best seat available, which is how it should be!

Kitsune
28th Apr 2007, 05:54
And as for your (priority 11) FOC, you can be bumped like any other ID passenger. The only thing the FOC booking does is cover your ass when management want to know why you're not at work.........but try explaining that to the wife and kids when they thought they were off on vacation....:ugh:

cpdude
28th Apr 2007, 06:37
I don't think based pilots get PR11 FOC's. I believe we get PR24 or something like that. It's one of those little extra perks for HKG staff.:bored:

Loopdeloop
28th Apr 2007, 07:27
Based pilots get pri 11, Hkg pilots get either 4 sectors anywhere pri 11 or 2 sectors to their domocile (ie there & back) pri 4.

cpdude
28th Apr 2007, 07:45
Thanks for that. I knew there was some sort of perk. Haven't used FOC's in years and couldn't remember the deal with it.

Kitsune
28th Apr 2007, 09:02
And doesn't that statement tell you everything you need to know about staff travel with CX.........:yuk:

Yeager
28th Apr 2007, 11:39
Alright.. We also gotta look at the positives. The staff at outports (outside HK) is actually, in general, very friendly and helpful! A good bunch that will do what they can to help.. (now I wont mention HK out of the fact that I want this post to be purely positive! :} )

Happy travelling.
Y

swish266
30th Apr 2007, 07:45
cpdude,
Pls check your PMs.
Thanks,
swish266

energie
2nd May 2007, 11:55
for CX, is the wife allowed to travel by herself on an ID90 ticket? or does she have to travel with me? how about friends and other family members?
i keep hearing that communting for work as an SO is not doable, but if that's the only way to make it work, that's the only way
if anyone has done this, do you mind sharing your experience?

anyone care to share?
sincerely,
E

geriatrix
2nd May 2007, 22:28
No, the AZ ID00 dried up years ago. Changed to an ID94. Not sure what it is nowadays though.

404 Titan
3rd May 2007, 01:28
energie

Yes your wife can travel on her own with CX and interline. So can your two nominees, i.e. parents, parents in-law or siblings. If you have children under twelve they must travel with someone over eighteen and can only travel in economy. Strict dress codes apply to all staff travellers.

I commute to Australia occasionally and find it very tiring. It is only for the short term so I am bearing with it. Everyone is different but I wouldn’t even contemplate trying to commute to North America. I know some, (not many) do it but I wouldn’t like doing it.

CaptJax
3rd May 2007, 02:27
As parents of a NA DEFO on the 747F we flew in November '06 SFO-JFK-CDG and return. Our son purchased the ID 90 tickets in HKG on a oneworld alliance carrier. We watched the loads and flew accordingly as standby passengers. For approximately $150 USD each, we could have purchased a confirmed seat on any carrier . We would not had to worry if we were going to make the flight. ID 90s were not that great a deal in our case.

Fly safe!

Captain Jack

404 Titan
3rd May 2007, 03:25
CaptJax

That’s strange because the cheapest confirmed airfare I could find was US$880.00. Are you referring to price per sector or total and before or after all taxes and surcharges?

energie
4th May 2007, 11:38
thanks 404.

I can imagine how tiring it is. i just did 2 trips between NA and HKG in the past 2 mths.

if it's so tiring, how do you guys up front do it? :| I mean, we as passengers get to sleep the WHOLE way!

act700
5th May 2007, 06:32
It's different if you're driving; maybe the whole concept of getting paid for it?!

The entire commuting thing is tiresome, and everything it encompasses. I used to commute for over 9 years, some legs as short as Cleveland-New York City--let me tell you, that was tiresome. And it's always loose-loose: on the way home you're tired as $hit and dead after you get home; on the way to work you're always stressed out about any glitches getting there.

I can only imagine how a HKG-Aussie commute must suck...

act700
5th May 2007, 06:34
I haven't commuted for about a year now. And mysteriously, a lot of hair has grown back.

Oh, and you should see the size of my tube of toothpaste!!!