PDA

View Full Version : Zero G flight ?

Argonautical
27th Apr 2007, 12:00
Professor Stephan Hawking has just done a zero G flight in a Boeing 727. This has got me wondering if any RAF aircrew do (have done) this for fun?

I would have thought that if a 727 can do this, then it would have been no problem for a Vulcan, Victor or even a VC-10. So did any rear crew members of a Vulcan ever experience that floating feeling?

Fg Off Max Stout
27th Apr 2007, 12:02
Chinook crews have experienced that floating feeling (apparently).

On_The_Top_Bunk
27th Apr 2007, 12:11
I may have dreamt of this a few times. ;)

BEagle
27th Apr 2007, 13:54
Waited for our way-behind-the-drag-curve Tin Triangle nav plotter ('Watt the Plot') to unstrap for a pee at TOC. Then a gentle push when he was at the point of no return had him floating upwards wetting himself. Followed by a smart pull to leave him in a soggy heap on the floor......:E

Jack Aubrey
27th Apr 2007, 14:33
Oh how I wish that I had been born as gifted as you, BEagle!

Your stories of your exploits are so inspiring. Perhaps you could now share with us how you got thrown off a Phantom squadron after achieving Lim Op status? I seem to remember that that was a rare distinction. Do tell!

Zoom
27th Apr 2007, 14:37
Mee-bloody-oww or what!! Why don't you tell us some of yours instead, Jack. Presumably they will be staggeringly entertaining engineering anecdotes and will keep us all riv....yaawwwnnn!

Jack Aubrey
27th Apr 2007, 15:04
Well Zoom, perhaps this should be on the bullying thread. Or is it OK for a pilot to manoeuvre an aircraft in such a way as to humiliate a crew member and to permit the loss of containment of fluids?
Frankly, when I was a Phantom QWI, if I had had to fly with a pilot who thought it amusing to do such a thing, I might have been somewhat cautious. Had I experienced similar indiscipline, I believe that I would have been inclined to take formal action.
Sorry, very few tales of derring do in my subsequent career in aeronautical engineering. Although there was some solace in not having to endure egocentric and immature behaviour from over-confident pilots. Oh, and I learned that arrogance of aircrew toward, sometimes much higher qualified, engineers is not entirely mythical.

ChristopherRobin
27th Apr 2007, 16:09
hey, I may only be an army pilot, but even I know that not even engineers could end up in a pool of pi$$ on the floor of a phantom after some zero-G Jack!

Oh and - get a sense of humour ffs - you must have been a right crasher to have around when you were in.

Tigs2
27th Apr 2007, 16:57
Jack Aubrey more like Jack Ass

Its amazing on this site, how when you try to score V personal points on fellow PPRuNers how the pack will turn on you. I for one dont like it and i am not interested one iota in your bitchy personal tales. So how do we go from Phantom QWI to Engineer, perhaps because you have no tales of derring do? Sounds far more interesting than being lim ops.

Jack Aubrey
27th Apr 2007, 17:14
My point is that pushing zero G merely to humiliate a crew member is unprofessional and stupid. Further, to do it when he is peeing is irresponsible and potentially hazardous.

What is yours?

Jack Aubrey
27th Apr 2007, 17:45
Thanks for that Tigs.
Since you ask, with an implied insult that aircrew to engineer is an unworthy progression, I was invalided out after being injured on active service. My subsequent career in engineering was enjoyable and fulfilling but I was obliged to retire early and now have time to browse through some of the infantile drivel that is recorded by 'ppruners'. I presume that there is some pride in loyalty to 'ppruners' although how it transcends loyalty to service beats me.
I find BEagle's drivel particularly puzzling - so I thought that I would have a pop at one of his more inane posts.

oli,_the_original
27th Apr 2007, 18:03
Does 'infantile drivel' stimulate your mind then? As I am sure there are a great many other things with which one could amuse ones self with which are far superior in both productivity and interest.

Pontius Navigator
27th Apr 2007, 19:38
No bad, posts 5 to 12 all off topic.

Yes, we did experience negative g in the tin triangle but well before BEagles time. And yes, the pee tube trick also preceded BEagle.

The usual cause of negative g however was a rather rapid push over on the 2E attack. It was intended to be a 0.5 push to level at 11000 feet after a 10k/min climb to be level and steady about 8 miles from the target.

Cautious crews in training might pop early. If you got the pop late however you might have had a steeper climb and a harder push.

Jack Aubrey
27th Apr 2007, 19:55
Sorry PN. You are quite right. But I was enjoying the horseplay.
Further on topic. In fighter manoeuvres in my day - long ago, I know chaps - zero G was good news. If you needed to pick up airspeed ASAP, pushing to zero G meant that only the drag of the aeroplane opposed the thrust. Point of detail- QFIs help? - I believe it was form drag. Lift induced drag was zero(ish).
It had to managed carefully, though, as getting the nose very low with lots of airspeed could be a bit of a problem in the Spey engined F4.
We also used it in a similar profile to the 'vomit comet' to accelerate to M2. Climb in max burner to the trop, pitch angle around 25 degrees, push to 0G and the flight path goes parabolic. It usually needed a couple of such routines to get the magic 2 on the dial and then it was RTB sharpish with not a lot of fuel.
The Lightning, I was assured by a lot of WIWOL pilots, could do M2 a lot easier.
Jumpers as goal posts moment - sorry!

Winco
27th Apr 2007, 19:56
Jack

How terribly sorry I feel for you. Did you never have any fun in your life at the expence of a colleague? How sad for you.

I only wish I had been on the same squadrons as BEagle has - they sounded an absolute hoot.

I do hope you feel better soon Jack.

The Winco

shawtarce
27th Apr 2007, 20:02
is it OK for a pilot to manoeuvre an aircraft in such a way as to humiliate a crew member and to permit the loss of containment of fluids?
I can tell you've never been a member of the helo fraternity
Wish I could have seen it.............:D

brit bus driver
27th Apr 2007, 20:41
I have heard that it was possible on the Jetstream......but couldn't possibly comment about mutual solos. :E

Winch-control
27th Apr 2007, 21:05
I am amazed no Chin mates have responded! 12000ft, bunt and float from front of cabin to ramp... surely... at least a minute, if not nearly two weightless before pilot bottles it! done loads of times..., oh and yes I know you can't legally start at 12000ft, but thats another story...

Two's in
27th Apr 2007, 21:07
Thread Creap Amber Caption and Audio:
Bloody hell Beags! I dream of getting the ultimate wind up or pi$$ take going on a thread, but never seem to achieve it, when all you do is post an amusing anecdote and suddenly you have "stalker de jour" on your six. I'm dead impressed - just think what would have happened if you had posted a mean spirited story...

Zoom
27th Apr 2007, 21:35
Back on track, it looks like Stephen Hawking took his dog up for a go as well:

http://www.crapville.com/video_holder.asp?ID=344

Unfortunately this link doesn't always appear to work..... :\

Zoom
28th Apr 2007, 12:38
Sorry folks, but Crapville is living up to its name and not working properly. My apologies for raising your expectations.

swp53
28th Apr 2007, 18:01
I think that I am correct but apologies if not.
When Nimrods appeared at airshows in years gone by it was common at the end of the display to make a climbing turn then push over while a crew member fired a couple of flares from the veri pistol while floating in zero G from the push over. Thats what the commentators used to say anyway.
Regards,
Steve.