PDA

View Full Version : Can't Operate at Satelite AF without ATC

handyman
26th Apr 2007, 17:54
What a load of risk averse rubbish!

Just found out that at Culdrose we are no longer allowed to operate at Predannack without 'Air Tragic' in the Tower. We used to be able to stay on Culdrose Tower and commit GH to our hearts content, but no more.

It is laughable that we can operate in the auto field next door and land in a civilian's field at Mullion, also next door, and operate at the Lizard confined area; in fact anywhere on the Lizard penninsular except the airfield.

Bearing in mind we have operated in this manner for years without a problem, what's going on? Also, at Chetwynd you get to operate at a smaller area with up to 8 aircraft and students everywhere, why can't we operate at PDK on our own?

Utter rubbish!

H

Alpha Whiskey
26th Apr 2007, 19:35
Funny how this has come in when VL has just gone over to single a/c moves out of hours. Branch justification gone mad.

vecvechookattack
26th Apr 2007, 20:01
Couldn't agree more. This is complete and utter madness. I understand that the VL procedure is a tadge more complicated that just single a/c moves but it has to be better than this unneccesary and wasteful procedure at CU.

Wouldn't aviation be a lot easier without the Air department.

RNGrommits
26th Apr 2007, 20:16
Can't comment on the new CU procedure (although if memory serves me right I can't ever remember an aircraft being allowed to operate at PDK if it was closed) - is it just ATC you could do without or do you not need crash cover either?? I bet their aren't many proper satellite airfields (rather than just a nice big field) in the UK you can land at without proper facilities. Do the RAF let DHFS use Tern hill without the proper facilities? Most RN ATCOs would probably be more than happy never to visit the mind numbingly tedious tower at PDK again.

Winch-control
26th Apr 2007, 20:17
Fly Navy I say!