PDA

View Full Version : Westlands vs Air Ambulance

Floppy Link
25th Apr 2007, 18:16
From the Military Aircrew Forum...

...Air ambulance operating from WHL site since 1 Mar 07 is being asked to leave because the aircraft used is not from the WHL stable, but from Eurocopter...

wtf?:uhoh:

Thread here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273289).

Hoveronly
28th Apr 2007, 18:41
One can see Westlands point but are they offering a huge discount on the purchase of an aircraft from their stable?

PANews
28th Apr 2007, 21:27
It is certainly a case of red faces and damage limitation but the 'new aircraft' solution will not work short term wonders. G-DORS is brand new [and deserving of a hangar] so it would look really odd to make such an offer to act as a sop to a visiting....Agusta person.

It seems that the air ambulance is the preferred local charity.... of the workers .... as long as they do not bring their charity work to work...

It will bow over like most things but leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Perhaps AW will build a new hangar for them off airfield to remove the Eurocopter from the landscape - as a corporate charity donation!

nimby
30th Apr 2007, 09:00
IMHO, the Yeovil site's business centres on military and governmental sales, so visiting potential customers generally wear a uniform and are unlikely to be interested in an air ambulance of any flavour (except perhaps to note that AW is a generous corporate citizen, which plays for us in government circles).

Visitors are unlikely to even know that the AA is based here, though since you can see the hospital at the end of the runway, Judwin does seem a wise place to land one.

Even when it was out at Hestridge, the AA would land in Yeovil to deposit the sick and injured. How may sales did we lose as a result of that?

I fail to see how the presence of a new Eurocopter could harm us in any way. Reverse the decision.

Nimby

BTW Heliport, since you like to reference my earliest posts := please note that the AA regularly passes over my garden and I smile. The pilots fly responsibly:ok: .

500e
30th Apr 2007, 21:34
Perhaps South Somerset DC should do a rates review and see if they have missed a few sq. Mtrs & then make a gift to the AA.
Perhaps some one should point out that IT COULD BE YOU requiring the ride & do you care if its EC, Agusta or a Hughes, like H**l I do.
These things can come back and bite people\company's.
Only requires one corporate client whose near and dear was saved by AA and it could tip the scales.
Story True I was there.
A young man is in a large garage on a Saturday being a pain looking at cars out of his price range, finds salesman says I want 4 of those in dark blue! (he was a pain) salesman shows him the door, as he exits his parting words were dad will phone Monday.
He did and canceled a RR he had on order, and explained his son might be a pain but was told to buy 4 cars for reps and if sales did not gauge the level of inquiry then he did not do business with amateurs, good DAY.

MightyGem
2nd May 2007, 10:35
G-DORS
Well that'll be why Westlands don't want it on their arfield then! Them being a maker of Garage DORS. :}

Droopy
2nd May 2007, 10:51
Anything to do with large numbers of visitors [financial donors] - essential to an AA but often a thorn in the side of airfield security?

nimby
2nd May 2007, 11:08
Them being a maker of Garage DORS ... my, my, Mighty - you are out of date

SilsoeSid
2nd May 2007, 11:29
Story here in Mays edition;
http://www.policeaviationnews.com/News_Archive.htm

I wonder what the reaction of Sr Giuseppe Orsi would be, if fate decided he and/or his family needed an air ambulance and booger me, an EC135 turned up!

Latest is that the a/c can stay there until they can find another site, However.... "Meanwhile, the brand new machine has to stay out in the rain because there is no room within the vast factory."

Thanks Giuseppe!

nimby
2nd May 2007, 11:39
There is now an internal company statement ...