PDA

View Full Version : pole to pole "aventurers"?

Flapwing
25th Apr 2007, 09:37
Any comments on these two, red flight suited complete with captain bars, "adventurers" :rolleyes: and their B-417 on there second attempt (first attempt, flew into the ice) to fly pole to pole?

nigelh
25th Apr 2007, 09:52
I think this time they are only going to fly when it is nice and sunny ....:D and what an innovative way to get rid of your wife for a few months .................

DBChopper
25th Apr 2007, 10:30
Any comments on these two, red flight suited complete with captain bars, "adventurers" and their B-417 on there second attempt (first attempt, flew into the ice) to fly pole to pole?

Here's an idea. Why not post your comments first?

Bronx
25th Apr 2007, 11:32
And if you have enough money green eyed monsters come outta the wooodwork.
Good on them trying again. :ok:

DBChopper
25th Apr 2007, 14:47
And if you have enough money green eyed monsters come outta the wooodwork.

How very true :rolleyes: It's a funny old world we live in when folk try to take the moral high ground sat at a computer when others are out there doing it. I'd love to have the opportunity to do something similar but it's unlikely I could ever afford it. I'd still like to pat them on the back for having a go rather than take snidey jealous snipes at them though.

I guess if no-one was ever prepared to take risks, and no-one was ever prepared to try to save the failed risk-takers, we could all sit at our computers endlessly until we all melted into our keyboards... :ok:

DBChopper
25th Apr 2007, 15:25
i don't think it takes much risk or 'adventurism' to be bankrolled to follow a pink line on a GPS, particularly knowing someone will always come rescue you.

So what would you consider to be a valid "adventure"? :confused:

No Foehn
25th Apr 2007, 15:36
Joe Simpson and Simon Yates on Siula Grande in Peru. They had to get themselves out of the deep stuff. Read "Touching the Void".

nigelh
25th Apr 2007, 17:21
we could all sit at our computers endlessly until we all melted into our keyboards...

Precisely !!!! That is the whole point of pprune :ugh: You cant be bull****ing your way round this site if your actually flying all the time :ok:

Personally i agree with the Joe Simpson and Simon Yates on Siula Grande in Peru bit .....its not really a true adventure unless you leave abit behind ....like a leg..or arm :ok:

docstone
25th Apr 2007, 18:54
Think you'll find its a Bell 407 - 417 canned at HAI before it left the drawing board 'cos they couldn't improve it.

Hats off to anyone flying a single in white-out conditions

Hover Bovver
25th Apr 2007, 18:54
TheController,
With all respect, if you had travelled, or tried to, through some of the countries shown on "the long way round", then I am sure your opinion would be different- If you have ,then I take my hat off to you, you are a far better person than me.
HB

Flapwing
25th Apr 2007, 19:26
Perhaps they should have titled their book "How We Screwed Up In Pursuit Of Fame"

http://www.polarfirst.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=66

DBChopper
25th Apr 2007, 23:28
Aaah, Flapwing, whose words started this very thread. So come on then, let's have your words of wisdom regarding their exploits. What particular axe do you have to grind with them? Did they land on your snowman the first time? :E

Perro Rojo
25th Apr 2007, 23:51
Actually, I don't think what they are doing is all that special.

I have ferried helicopters back and forth between various South American countries and Canada and lots of Canadian pilots, including myself, have spent considerable time flying in the Arctic. In my case, right up past the most northerly point of North America.

The ferry flights only required a fairly current set of Jepps and a huge bag of US dollars (no credit cards accepted south of the Rio Grande).

Flying in the Arctic is not rocket science either, no matter what some guys would like everyone to believe. With a little instruction and lots of caution they shouldn't have any problem, especially with the back up they have.

TukTuk BoomBoom
26th Apr 2007, 10:47
Well its a bit of both really.
They still have to actually fly the aircraft.
If its the same couple who flew the 407 into the ground i wouldnt want to be along for the ride.
Not sure how you become a hero when you fly under cloud in flat light on featureless terrain and crash.
At least the otter crew had enough sense to be above the cloud.
There are plenty of guys out there doing stuff way more demanding than this and with less support that dont want the spotlight
Antarctica does attract attention seekers keen for their own slice of the "first" pie.

hey someone will buy the book and they'll be loved at places like Oshkosh

SilsoeSid
29th Apr 2007, 10:13
http://www.polarfirst.com/
I was wondering was about this 'Schools programme',

...Children hold the future of our amazing planet in their hands.
But to ensure that this is a safe future, they need to understand the environmental hazards that threaten it. Only with this knowledge can they can act to stop the damage that’s taking place.

Environmental hazards like fossil fuel burning (at a rate of about 2 litres a minute) helicopters perhaps!!

So when they turn up, do they say,
"Look children, at this terrible machine guilty of changing the Earths climate forever".
"Now, don't you ever think about flying, it's harmful to you and your planet".
"We're off now, to spread the word!"

It is because children are the key to the future safeguarding of the planet that we support,

If these children rendered the aircraft U/S, would the mission be hailed a success?

How much environmental damage is being done in order to spread the word of these 'environmental hazards'?

SilsoeSid
29th Apr 2007, 10:35
http://www.polarfirst.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=42
Estimated total route 35,732miles

At 120 kts this would take around the 17866 minutes - 12 days
(Bear with me, generous estimates here on their side!)

2 litres a minute, takes us back to 35,732 (this time its) litres or 7,860 UK gallons

At 30mpg (current real time average mpg) my gas guzzling, environmentally damaging 4x4 would need to travel 235,800 miles to use up all that fuel.

Children hold the future of our amazing planet in their hands.

But to ensure that this is a safe future, they need to understand the environmental hazards that threaten it. Only with this knowledge can they can act to stop the damage that’s taking place.

Working with the Royal Geographical Society, Polar First has launched ‘An Educational Passport to the Poles’, an exciting, interactive educational project. This project will see children around the world working with each other to better understand our changing environments.

Acting as the dynamic thread that links them, Jennifer Murray and Colin Bodill will be visiting many of the schools taking part along their route from Pole to Pole.

Perhaps they should have included some maths lessons with their visits!!

Scissorlink
29th Apr 2007, 11:47
"I have spoken to Jennifer this morning (Thursday 11th January, 11.30am) and you will probably have seen that yesterday they left Patriot Hills and were heading towards Fowler. But the weather deteriorated en route and they were forced to land 80 nautical miles short of Fowler. So once again they're in whiteout conditions, surrounded by snow as far as the eye can see, back in tents, huddling in their sleeping bags to keep warm and 'savouring' bags of special reconstituted food."

First time on the ice they crash in whiteout nearly killing themselves, second time they get stuck in whitout after knowing it was crap at the fuel but giving it a go anyway..least they landed before they crashed...

SL

NickLappos
29th Apr 2007, 13:53
This thread does raise some serious points, the most interesting to me is "When is someone's adventure just a foolish exercise?"

Riding over Niagara Falls in a barrel was once a favorite trial, and perhaps taking a Robinson over the pole is another, each with a degree of risk and foolhardiness built into the premise.

The basic question is, does performing a routine task in sub-standard equipment constitute "adventure" or is it foolish vanity?

Scissorlink
29th Apr 2007, 14:25
Nick, when you refer to sub standard equipment are you meaning there brain?? Because I heard the 407 isn't too bad a ship :p

SL

Flapwing
29th Apr 2007, 16:51
These two yahoos with their pretty red flight suits complete with captain's bars (no doubt bought in a local pilot suppy shop) try and make a name for themselves doing something well trained professional crews have been doing in the unforgiving high arctic for years... without the aid of twin otter support aircraft, a 24/7 logistics crews, web sites, etc.

nigelh
29th Apr 2007, 23:36
I think Nick thinks they are trying in a Robbo :rolleyes: even tho we all agree that the Robinson is a fabulous helicopter , only flown by the most discerning of gentlemen and ladies......it is in fact a Bell 407 . This is not an inferior piece of kit ...we use them in Canada for the heliskiing and they are EXCELLENT :D shame about the leg room in the back .