PDA

View Full Version : Question about putting music from cd's onto an mp3 player.

gingernut
25th Apr 2007, 09:01
'scuse my naevity, but this is how I currently listen to Barry Manilow whilst cutting the lawn. I have a midi disc recorder/player which I plug into a portable cd player, and transfer said tunes via a cable.

It's a bit inneficient, and I'm thinking of investing twenty quid in an "MP3" player advertised on the "Argos" web site.

Now my question is this, is it a simple enough process to transfer songs from cd to player? (I have a laptop and I know how to get songs from cd to the "my music" folder)

No jokes about Barry please:)

BRL
25th Apr 2007, 09:58
It is quite simple to be honest. Your mp3 player should come with a disc that you need to install on your laptop. Once this is done you can then simply copy music from your music folder direct onto your mp3.

Some of them you simply plug it in, go to 'My Computer' and it should show up in there as an additional drive, Then all you do is 'Drag and Drop' into it, really easy really!!

gingernut
25th Apr 2007, 10:27
Thanks chaps, I think the Apple & ipod thing was confusing me:)

seekayess
25th Apr 2007, 14:13
unless you buy an MP3 player that says "ipod" or "Apple"

In which case, it gets actually easier! :ok:

But then, that would not sound good to 'Dose jocks!! :ugh:

Background Noise
25th Apr 2007, 15:33
I don't want to get into the mac vs pc debate, but (genuine, don't know the answer question)...... on a mac, can you drag and drop mp3 files onto a non-ipod mp3 player - i am assuming you can in the same way as you would drag files onto a usb memory stick. Also, can you play mp3 files, already stored on a cd for instance, on a mac or do they have to imported into itunes?

Keef
26th Apr 2007, 10:01
I can echo that. I have an Ipod, which travels around with me and provides my kind of music. It's a nice device, and does a good job of playing music. It's hopeless at diary synch with Outlook, but that's very much a secondary need.

If I'd realised what a palaver it is to set up, I'd probably have bought something else. Reliability is also not impressive - the first one died within a week, and they wanted to take it back and repair it. I went all stroppy and said I didn't want a repaired dud at new-unit price thank you, and they replaced it with a new one. My daughter is on her fourth, for similar reasons.

They are very picky devices. When you get them working, they're excellent, but you can only keep your music on one PC. Since I commute a bit, I wanted to be able to synch the Ipod at either end. Nope. Not allowed by Mr Apple.

Amazingly, with all these disadvantages, Ipods seem to be dearer than other brands, rather than cheaper.

gingernut
27th Apr 2007, 22:01
Thanks chaps, got me'self an MP3 player from argos, it's got a built in "FM transmitter", just trying to work out how to pipe a "Bernard Manning" podcast over the speakers at work:}

L Peacock
2nd May 2007, 19:40
Ginger

Have you worked out that you first have to RIP the tracks into MP3 or WMA format from CD using media player or similar.

Blacksheep
3rd May 2007, 05:12
A word.

Nero

BigEndBob
3rd May 2007, 19:52
Try RealPlayer.