PDA

View Full Version : Headset

Nr394
25th Apr 2007, 03:31
Can anyone reccomend a good ANR headset that's reliable and hard wearing?

bluestack
25th Apr 2007, 04:18
David Clarke - HS-56-XL*

Robust, great noise cancelling, great customer service, not the prettiest...but no-one else can see me...

Nr394
26th Apr 2007, 04:05
any thoughts on the Bose X?

brushfire21
26th Apr 2007, 05:10
I second the David Clark H10-56-HXL ANR Headset. Excellent passive sound attenuation if you forget to turn on the ANR or the battery runs out. Everybody rants and raves about the Bose X, so I don't think you can go wrong there. Personally they seem a little wimpy in the construction after trying them, but thats just my opinion.

TipCap
26th Apr 2007, 05:33
I have the David Clark and Bose ANR headset. At present I am using the DC with my Bose as a spare. The final result in attenuation, IMHO, is similar. The Bose works harder but the passive noise reduction is superior on the DC. I think it is "horses for courses" as the end result is similar. The new Bose X has changed to AA batteries with an auto switch off if you forget to switch off your power. The DC doesnt have that, even though there is a switch in the control box. It isn't relevant to that headset. A standard fit. Hope this helps.

bvgs
26th Apr 2007, 17:16
Had Bose now for 3 years and they're great, light on your head, great ANR and so far reliable. Friend has the Dave Clarkes and he's happy also. A bit like do you prefer Ford or Vauxhaul, there will always be different views, I love my Bose and wouldn't swap them.

Hiro Protagonist
26th Apr 2007, 18:11
DC 10-56HXL. Stout and quiet.

L'WAAPAM
26th Apr 2007, 19:03
Have been using a Bose X for the past year and have no complaints. Really comfy even after 6 hours flying.

Never used a DC but one of the guys I fly with has one and raves about it. The only down side I can see with the DC is that my friend was changing his battery (square 9V) every 20-25 hours where I am getting 70-90 hours out 2 AA's on the Bose X.

Down side on the bose is that to change from Hi to Low impedence machines ie going from S76C+ to A++ requires you to change the Mic which entails buying the whole mic/lead/battery pack which is pretty expensive. I currently use a Peltor in the A++ as I dont fly that much in it but would invest in the extra lead if I did more.

Hope this helps.

PS if you go for the Bose buy in the US as they are a lot cheaper than UK.
Cheers

L'

pilotmike
26th Apr 2007, 19:44
Bose X. Excellent, and really comfortable too. I can't recommend them highly enough.

PM

brushfire21
27th Apr 2007, 01:23
TipCap "I have the David Clark and Bose ANR headset. At present I am using the DC with my Bose as a spare. The final result in attenuation, IMHO, is similar. The Bose works harder but the passive noise reduction is superior on the DC. I think it is "horses for courses" as the end result is similar. The new Bose X has changed to AA batteries with an auto switch off if you forget to switch off your power. The DC doesnt have that, even though there is a switch in the control box. It isn't relevant to that headset. A standard fit. Hope this helps."

FYI, My DC-56-HXL has an auto off feature and has saved me a few times. To combat the battery problem, I just use the rechargable batteries with no problems and save a few dollars here and there.

Gomer Pylot
27th Apr 2007, 02:34
As I've said before, I like the lightweight in-the-ear headsets. Both Clarity Aloft and Quiet Technologies make good models, with NRR numbers better than any of the ANR headsets. They're quiet, comfortable, and not that expensive. You don't have to worry about what glasses you wear, or about hotspots on your head. I wish I had them decades ago.

Outwest
28th Apr 2007, 00:01
As I have posted before, the Bose X is the most comfortable headset I have ever worn. I have had my Bose now for more than 2 years and have put close to 1500 hours on it. In that time it had to go in for repair twice. Once for a squeal in an earpiece and once for a broken wire in the cord.
What I will say is I have never seen customer support from ANY company like you get from Bose. Both times the headset was repaired free of charge, including shipping and new leather ear pads.
Other companies can sure take a lesson from Bose.

Nr394
2nd May 2007, 01:15
cheers for the feed back.