PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair

AdamC
24th Apr 2007, 16:28
First of all, I find Ryanair to be a very acceptable and fair airline, and deffinataly will be flying with them in the near future, infact booked for 9th May with a return on 10th May :)

The only thing is, im slightly worried about a certain pilot that has just flown me from Reus to Stansted! - The seatbelt sign in all fairness should have been kept on upon departure from Reus as it was fairly bumpy, I've been on flights with less turbulence and it was kept on.. But never the less, the seatbelt sign was turned off and we could move about the cabin.

So about half way into the flight, the weather decides to make our flight more intresting and add some pretty bad turbulence, when I say pretty bad I mean I saw someone fall over.. Expecting the seatbelt sign to come on, I quickly made my way back to my seat.. Guess what? - No seatbelt sign, this continued for 15 minutes or more, surely with turbulence enough to make someone fall over the seatbelt sign should have been on?

Never the less, the flight continued, the pilot came on and I couldn't understand a word he said, proberbly wasnt speaking english.. I managed to pick up "stansted 30 minutes decending now" Once again, expecting the seatbelt sign to come on shortly I was preparing for landing by stowing my bag etc.. So we decend, I see Heathrow and start getting confused, now im not sure how low you fly to land at Stansted when flying near Heathrow, but I'd guess not much more than 7000ft? - Even more worrying, is we where still decending with the seatbelt sign OFF. So 15 minutes pass, and we turn for the final approach.. The seatbelt sign is still off, so I finally ask the cabin crew what the hell he is playing it, with what the seatbelt sign comes on.. Yes, ON FINALS..

Surely thats not safe? Perhaps they forgot, but it's mentioned in the decent check list is it not?

Can anyone enlighten me to the "rules" if you like about when the seatbelt sign should be turned on by the crew in the pointy end.

Thanks,
Adam.

SXB
24th Apr 2007, 16:46
Adam
Depends where in the world you are flying, in Europe the light normally goes on about 10 minutes or so before landing, sometimes a bit earlier. In the States the light goes on when they start the descent.

As for turbulence, you should always have your seat belt fastened when seated whether the sign is on or not, it's the best policy. Most turbulence is fairly light, most pilots only experience 'severe' turbulence maybe once or twice in their careers, sometimes never. When it's severe people can start flying round the cabin....

AdamC
24th Apr 2007, 16:48
I just found it very strange as for the fact that on the outward journey yesterday, the pilot kept us very well informed of weather conditions and let us know that it would be fairly bumpy up and out of Stansted.

Also the seatbelt sign was turned on just before T/D, just like every other flight i've ever been on..

Maybe this pilot was just having a bad day! :P

And as for the turbulence, im not saying its was at all severe - I just happened to see a young child fall over because of a rather nasty bump, and with my judgement (for what its worth) I think the seatbelt sign should have been turned on.

A2QFI
24th Apr 2007, 21:29
If the Fasten Seat Belts sign is on then buckle up; if it isn't but you want to be secure use your initiative and fasten it anyway.

Sobelena
25th Apr 2007, 13:33
Ryanair employ a number of Eastern European pilots. Whilst their airmanship is not questioned they come from a culture very different to ours in terms of passenger safety, or, if you wish, paranoia. Vast generalisation on my part, but in a nutshell: In the States they're so scared of being sued that they leave the belt sign on as long as they can (if not permanantly). In the UK they get it just about right. In Eastern Europe you're responsible for your own safety!

Hirsutesme
26th Apr 2007, 16:47
Its not seatbelts that bother me, it is having my eardrums battered by very loud announcements, tinny music and endless attempts to flog lottery tickets or whatever, I've given up using Ryanair, they are not as cheap as they make out, and the scrum on boarding, incessant noise makes what should be fun (flying) a flipping nightmare!

AdamC
27th Apr 2007, 17:12
Its not seatbelts that bother me, it is having my eardrums battered by very loud announcements.

I agree, the automated announcments are far too loud, yet the live announcements from the flight deck are far too low.

Tinny music and endless attempts to flog lottery tickets or whatever.

I've never heared any music? - A few ads on the ground/boarding but thats it. The only thing they have ever offered to sell is scratch cards (doesn't everyone?) and tickets for the Stansted Express.

I've given up using Ryanair, they are not as cheap as they make out, and the scrum on boarding, incessant noise makes what should be fun (flying) a flipping nightmare!

They are cheap, if you stick to the regulations. If you don't want a scrum, pay £2 and get priority boarding.. It's worth it, just for the chance to jump in an emergency exit seat for all of £2!

slim_slag
27th Apr 2007, 17:25
What happens when everybody pays the two quid? Like what they are probably all doing as the web site doesn't make it very obvious how to get rid of it.

Ah, I know, raise it to five quid, lol.

Still think FR are one of the best airlines out there, you just need to use them properly :ok:

AdamC
28th Apr 2007, 02:03
What happens when everybody pays the two quid? Like what they are probably all doing as the web site doesn't make it very obvious how to get rid of it.

Ah, I know, raise it to five quid, lol.

Yeah, I nearly got riped off with that, my mum had to show me how to remove it. It costs £4 online, yet £2/3 euro in the airport?

Lets bloody hope Michael O'leary doesn't come on here and read this thread, your idea of a fiver will proberbly be put in place! - But then again, thats him all over really.