PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Do this !

tjquattro
23rd Apr 2007, 17:35
O.k this is my situation. I am a 31 guy who has has a good run on the property market and I now find myself in the position of having hard cash to pursue my dream of becoming a chopper driver. I've spent the last eight years of my life working my ass off but with zero fufillment so now I've decided Im going for it. What I need are youre honest opinions. Im married (no nippers) and my wife is 100% behind me. These are my questions:

1) Where is the best location to complete a CPL(h) from Zero ?
2) What is the realistic cost from 0-250 + accom for 1 year?
3) Employment prospects, VIP, North sea etc etc.

I would really appreciate youre input (even if neg)

Cheers and keep up the good work

quattro

Whirlygig
23rd Apr 2007, 18:04
Your best bet is to do a forum search in Rotorheads and there will be enough threads there to answer all your questions but,to answer your three questions in a nutshell:-

1) depends where in the world you want to work. Different countries will prefer their own licence.

2) in the UK, the minimum hours to get a CPL(H) is 185 hours. With an instructor rating, this would be 280 hours at, say £250 per hour plus exams, equipment etc.

3) as a CPL(H) with 200-odd hours, your employment prospects are the square-root of diddly-squat. You either need an instructor rating or instrument rating.

If you haven't done so already, have a trial lesson and make sure you can pass a Class 1 medical.

Cheers

Whirls

tjquattro
23rd Apr 2007, 18:47
Cheers Whirly. I've done the Cl 1 Med and I've been out in Bell Ranger and R22. Thanks for the comments

q

smith
24th Apr 2007, 07:25
Spoke to a guy who said the North Sea is for ex-mil guys with 1,000's of hours, experienced in all kinds of weather. Far more desirable than 250hrs fairweather flyer. Maybe wrong though. If I were you I'd go for it, I have done similar to you but in the fixed wing dept, even after reading all the the negative comments here.

Heliport
24th Apr 2007, 10:09
Becoming a Helicopter Pilot (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253856)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/HeliportSmiley.gif