PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatic aircraft for hire

MarkGillis
23rd Apr 2007, 12:46
Hi
I'm a PPL(A) with about 175 hours and about 35 flying the T67C Firefly for aeros. Very sadly the machine I used was destroyed in a fatal crash a year ago, flying out of Turweston. I'm still based at Turweston but there is no aerobatic machine available now, so I'm looking for somewhere I could go, not too far from my home near Aylesbury / Oxford, where I could hire out a T67 (or similar) for a few hours a month. Anyone have any knowledge of such a machine?
TIA
Mark

Dusty_B
23rd Apr 2007, 13:00
I believe Pilot Flight Training at Oxford still have a T67M. Might be more expensive than the one you are used to (but at least you won't spend so long climbing)...

http://www.pilotflighttraining.co.uk/

HAL-26
23rd Apr 2007, 14:17
You might fancy hunting down Halton Aeroplane Club as I hear they'll shortly have a Citabria available for aerobatic training.

Right on your doorstep and you get handle a taildragger too!

Wessex Boy
23rd Apr 2007, 15:12
Conington now have access to a Chippy!!!:)
Probably a bit far out for you though

MarkGillis
23rd Apr 2007, 15:34
Thanks for the responses. Tried Halton, but they take a very limited number of civilian pilots and qualified pilots looking for a plane to use on a casual basis do not come very high up the list. Pilot Training sounds good though; will go check them out (or let them check me out I guess).

18greens
23rd Apr 2007, 19:10
If you fancy Kemble theres a Decathlon and a Chippy for hire. Proper aeroplanes with 7500' of playground directly above the airfield.

www.fly2help.org

Ex Oggie
24th Apr 2007, 00:58
Wellesbourne Aviation have a Robin R2160i. A cracking little machine for up to Standard Class. They also have an active aerobatic circle in the club whether you want to progress in competition flying or just have some self hire fun. It's not too far from Turdy either.

Try http://www.wellaviate.co.uk/

XO

hugh flung_dung
24th Apr 2007, 17:11
If you don't mind travelling a little farther afield Old Sarum has a couple of good Bulldogs for hire, open airspace (and also some pretty good instructors if you need one) :O

HFD

thomsonpop
3rd May 2007, 09:40
Hi Mark,
Did you ever find an aerobatic aircraft?
I have been speaking to the guys at Kemble about their Decathlon - they seem keen for people to make use of it (the money goes to a very worthwhile charity).
I have started competing this year in another Decathlon - a great aircraft and very capable.
Are you hoping to compete?

waldopepper42
3rd May 2007, 13:15
Are you hoping to compete?
I am! Hopefully before the end of this year, or certainly during next.
Keep looking over your shoulder*, I'm coming after yer....:E

* Cause that's where I'll probably be - trailing a long way behind :(

MarkGillis
4th May 2007, 14:25
Thanks for all your replies. Some of the suggestions are a bit far out for me (Kemble and Sarum both sound good, but it's just a wee bit too far). At the moment, with my wallet suffering the impact of 2 kids, I'm just trying to keep my ratings current, rather than looking for competition stuff.
I'm hoping to try out an Aerobat at Blackbushe (although I don't hear anything about sparkling performance when I discuss this type) and maybe the T67M at Kidlington (nice but a wee bit pricey) or the R2160 at Wellesbourne (furthest distance I can go for an hours flying). I'll report back when I've had a chance to check them out (or when they've checked me out, more to the point).
But thanks again for all input; appreciate it.

hugh flung_dung
4th May 2007, 14:36
Good luck with wherever you end up but I'd strongly suggest that you don't waste your time/money on an Aerobat. With a more powerful/capable aircraft the flights are shorter and the smile is bigger. Set your sights on a Bulldog, Decathlon or T67M (unless the alternatives are VERY cheap).

HFD

matspart3
4th May 2007, 15:41
Tiger Airways at Gloucester have a Firefly

mike172
4th May 2007, 17:50
I know it's not local, but Cambridge Aero Club have just received a brand spanking new Extra EA-200. You don't get much more aerobatic than that!

ACL
5th May 2007, 22:35
This one is at Enstone Flying Club for aerobatics and tail dragger training...
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/ACL_2006/ChipmunkA2A7.jpg