PDA

View Full Version : Mouse problems

sad or what
23rd Apr 2007, 09:53
I use a mouse with my laptop, and am getting fed up having to buy a new one every 6/8 months, because after a few months, I keep getting a message saying that windows does not recognise the usb device, as it has malfunctioned! Surely the lifespan of a mouse is not less then a year? Any ideas anyone? :bored:

Bushfiva
23rd Apr 2007, 12:18
You can get this if your USB port can't supply quite enough power for the mouse, which is odd since mice are parsimonious critters. Do you always plug it into the same USB port? Windows, in its wisdom, thinks that a device moved from one port to another is a new device, and sometimes gets its driver knickers in a twist.

Or is this a PS/2 mouse, with a round connector?

sad or what
23rd Apr 2007, 12:33
It is a mini mouse..and I tend to plug it into the same USB port, but have tried it on other ports, and it works sometimes for a minute or so and then freezes, and then I get the same message coming up? :bored:

Saab Dastard
23rd Apr 2007, 13:00
Where do the drivers come from? MS or 3rd party? Have you got the latest drivers?

Have you uninstalled and re-installed the device? Have you tried disabling the on-board pointing device (trackpad or nipple)?

SD

Keef
23rd Apr 2007, 22:40
My laptop has used the same mouse for years, and never complained. It's a nifty little wired USB optical mouse, designed for laptops, about £5 on Ebay. I can leave it unconnected if using the laptop where there's no room for it, or plug it in later, with no problem. What IS important, as Bushfiva says, is to plug it into the same port every time.

I think you need to investigate what your machine is doing/what driver it's loading - or how much power it can provide to the USB port. There should be 500mA, which is plenty for a rodent.

sad or what
24th Apr 2007, 07:58
Thanks for the replies, in the end I gave up and brought another one, which works fine. When I plugged the old one in to the old usb or different one, it still did not work. Neither this one or the last one came with any software, as windows recognises it on its own, bit it is still a myster why this keeps happening every 6/9 months or so! I am not very tenchnically mindied, but will get a friend to look at it. Thanks once again. :ugh:

Bushfiva
24th Apr 2007, 09:10
it it wiv an amma and move on. Might simply be an internal component gently composting.

seekayess
24th Apr 2007, 09:14
Windows, in its wisdom, . . . . :ugh:

Here we go again!!

When we advise you 'Doze jocks to switch to Mac/ OSX, you have a totally gut-wrenching reaction and you start putting down the Macs as also the Mac-Users!

I have been on one or the other Mac now for 19 years and NEVER have I heard anyone ever have USB/Mouse problems of this type!!

Wake up and smell the coffee, guys!

Switch today for perpetual happiness!! :ok: