PDA

View Full Version : Question for the engineers and inventors

RotorSEC
22nd Apr 2007, 03:37
Hey Everyone,
I've been registered for a long time, but never posted, so I will introduce myself. I'm 23 and living in Washington State. I have my commercial and cfi helicopter ratings.
I have always been facinated with fabricating equipment, coming up with innovative ideas, and just keeping my mind active. I want to incorporate this with my passion for the helicopter.
My question is:
What kind of education would be required to have a strong enough grasp to engineer aircraft equipment? I'm not looking to do it as a career, but more of a hobby. I have a strong interest in designing and fabricating powerplants, but would like to work on helicopter projects in a broad range. What would you recommend as a starting point?
I really appreciate any feedback.
Fly Safe,
Scott

slowrotor
22nd Apr 2007, 15:22
I have a strong interest in designing and fabricating powerplants, but would like to work on helicopter projects in a broad range.

I think you need to be more specific. One project at a time.
For Hobby work, self taught will do I think. A formal education would be geared to commercial and military transport, I think.
You might try radio control models.

Graviman
23rd Apr 2007, 11:43
RotorSEC,

I'm curious what you mean by designing and fabricating powerplants? I'm a mech eng myself, as a means of eating. I'm also studying phys which gives me firk all time for much else :rolleyes:, but have an RC heli to practice with.

Mart