PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow tower

expediteoff
21st Apr 2007, 12:39
I heard a rumour that the new tower was due to open today.
Did it ?
Are there any knock on effects to the airlines operating there as a result?

JAR 1.0175
21st Apr 2007, 13:58
:D The new tower went live at 02:00am and the first flight handled was the inbound BA026. All very smooth so far from a users point of view.

tilewood
21st Apr 2007, 15:41
Good luck to all who sway in her!! ;)

ratarsedagain
21st Apr 2007, 20:11
Operated in and out of LHR today.
Went like a dream.
Well done to all the boys and girls in the new tower for making the move so painless!
Good luck up there, and promise to maintain our RT discipline! (as per the ATIS!;) )

cirrus01
21st Apr 2007, 20:19
Pity the new tower looks so poorly designed......those sidestays just look like an afterthought . A great shame not to have had a iconic landmark that could have been real world-class !

darrylj
21st Apr 2007, 21:08
it looks smart & an overdue new change to the old tower.
:)

TheGorrilla
22nd Apr 2007, 06:41
It looks like a big patio heater!

BusDriver947
22nd Apr 2007, 09:17
Looks either like a firework rocket tethered and awaiting launch or a rubbish shoot normally attatched to the side of a building.
Can't decide!:hmm:

NeoDude
22nd Apr 2007, 20:18
I think it looks more like a McDonalds coffee cup balanced upon a McDonalds straw.

BOAC
22nd Apr 2007, 21:13
Ok guys and girls - after post 6 we lost this one. Be warned.

TheGorrilla
23rd Apr 2007, 00:26
Seriously. No knock on effects. That's it. Just a few controllers taking the job more seriously than they did last week. Probably suffer from vertigo or the heat is getting to them. I'd suggest not making any funny remarks this week. 0440L yesterday morning we asked if the view was better. No comment. What a sad boring, sterile world.

aviate1138
23rd Apr 2007, 05:50
I would be interested to know what effect wind has on the tower. Those braces look like they could anchor Mt. Everest, so when the wind blows does it just vibrate a little? Can't believe it actually sways at all. Years ago was up the top of the World Trade Centre during a stormy evening. That thing swayed quite a lot. The Heathrow Tower has a control gizmo.
"An active mass damper system designed in Japan counteracts any
sway or movement"
Hope the lifts work well and the AirCon! Another Richard Rogers gem, IMHO. :)
Aviate 1138

point5
23rd Apr 2007, 07:32
0440L yesterday morning we asked if the view was better. No comment. What a sad boring, sterile world

If it was you guys who asked this via datalink, we are unable to reply via datalink - we were not being boring!

Max Angle
23rd Apr 2007, 09:47
If it was you guys who asked this via datalink, Ah datalink. At last LHR moves into the 21st century.

Outlook
23rd Apr 2007, 10:59
Would there be any possibility of someone posting a few pictures of the view please?

(Hopefully it's allowed)

Yellow Snow
23rd Apr 2007, 11:05
Lots of crews with friendly lighthearted comments via DCL, but we have no means to respond.

As for controllers taking it too seriously, myself and my colleagues have very much appreciated the positive comments from crew on the RT.

BOAC
23rd Apr 2007, 12:04
All welcome here (with pertinent comments:) ) but thought I'd let you know there are parallel threads in ATC and Airlines, Airports and Routes (under 'Heathrow').

If any ATC folk think this thread needs to be moved elsewhere drop me a PM please and I'll try to arrange a suitable 'pruning' and 'replanting'

Gonzo
23rd Apr 2007, 14:50
I had a BA crew say to me today:

"Are you in the new tower now?"
"Affirm"
"Ah, so can you see us then?" (It was a 777 on Tango over at T4)
"Errrr, yes......."
"Oh, well done!".

Now I'm confused.....did he think we've been working out of a windowless room for the past 50 years? :p

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Apr 2007, 15:06
But surely there were a number of stands which couldn't been seen from the old tower? Some V and all the S cul-de-sac and several stands in the cargo area. We tried to get CCTV but were old it was too costly. Meanwhile Mr Plod had CCTV all over the place - including on the tower balcony - to watch motorist!

Gonzo
23rd Apr 2007, 15:11
yes, HD, but arguably the view now is worse than from the old tower, and this one was abeam what you'd remember as T7 (now 407).

point5
23rd Apr 2007, 16:07
Would there be any possibility of someone posting a few pictures of the view please?
There are a few pics from the top here...

http://www.heathrowpictures.com/new%20vcr/new_vcr.html

Cheers!

Max Angle
23rd Apr 2007, 23:56
Nice pics. Still looks as if there are quite a few places where those with no honour can call ready with the jetty still attached :ok:

Outlook
24th Apr 2007, 08:33
Thank you p5 from "Joe Public" who will never have the opportunity to experience the view for himself.

What a fantastic working envrionment. (At least it looks like one, from my point of view).

Cheers P5. :ok:

forget
24th Apr 2007, 08:51
I’m no civil engineer so could someone explain the purpose of the four guy wires? --- and ‘to stop it falling over’ isn’t the answer! What I can’t see is how they‘re providing any lateral stability as the angle from the vertical seems too acute for that. As I see it, perhaps wrongly, if the tower cab moved a couple of feet to the left the tension on the right side wires would barely increase. So what’s the answer? By the way, are these the same architects who designed the Millennium Bridge.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/nvrpage_linkbridge.jpg

treadigraph
24th Apr 2007, 10:13
Forget got this from Airport technology site:

Starting in January 2005, prefabricated 12m sections were then inserted under the cab forming a steel mast and gradually building to the full height of 87m. The tower is supported by a 15ft (4.6m) diameter steel mast and three pairs of cable stays anchored to the ground.

The mast, which is encircled by a three-storey technical and administrative building, provides access to the visual control room via one internal and one external lift, plus an enclosed stairway. The tubular plated main core was shaped to accommodate lifts, stairs, services and electronics, and the three stays ensure the rigidity criteria for the radar systems.

Arhcitect was Richard Rogers Partnership and engineers were Arup.

Millennium Bridge was designed by Foster and Partners and engineered by Arup.

atce
25th Apr 2007, 04:52
As someone who is privileged to work in the new control tower at Heathrow I cannot understand the statement in the previous post about the purpose of the guy wires. There are no radar systems in the new tower so I've no idea where that came from.... unlike the old tower there is no SMR system perched on the top nor are there any others hidden away! As far as I am aware the wires are for stability only, nothing more:)

treadigraph
25th Apr 2007, 06:08
ATCE, that's what I would have thought, cable-stayed, but as seen on Airport Technology. Journo's eh? :ok: (I had a very quick look at Arup's site but couldn't find anything about the Tower in the minute or two I spent there.)

How are you enjoying your new accommodation?