PDA

View Full Version : High speed trim with flaps down, 737

raspberry
20th Apr 2007, 15:16
When you lower the flaps on the 737 the trim motor gives you a higher trim speed. If this is not working correctly, ie slow trim with the flaps down, is this a go or a no go item? I could not find any reference to this problem in the MEL, also the engineer looked puzzled.

john_tullamarine
22nd Apr 2007, 11:27
... the trim motor gives you a higher trim speed

I'm really quite confused .. what does the trim motor have to do with trim speed ? and why would you want a higher trim speed with greater flap deflection ?

BOAC
22nd Apr 2007, 12:04
JT - it is the speed of Stab TRIM movement that is referred to (ie 'trimming speed' rather than 'trim speed':) ). Faster with flap extended.

john_tullamarine
22nd Apr 2007, 12:06
ah ha ! .. thank you, good sir ... jargon can be such a bore at times ..

Mad (Flt) Scientist
22nd Apr 2007, 16:01
Not only is it, as ASFKAP mentioned, legally a "No Go" item if it isn't in the MEL, but from an engineering and safety perspective it should be a "No Go" also: you have something wrong with your stab system (whether the motor or the control unit) and that's hardly a trivial system.

The higher trim motor rate when flaps are down/in motion is presumably because it's required, so you may not have the requisite amount of handling. If your aircraft has a flap/stab interconnect, chances are the trim command in response to flap motion is for a number of seconds, not for an actual stab change, so if the rate is wrong, you'll get the wrong amount of stab as a result.

You also don't know if anything else is kaput in the stab system. Inflight would be a bad time to find out.

I-2021
22nd Apr 2007, 17:00
is this a go or a no go item? I could not find any reference to this problem in the MEL, also the engineer looked puzzled.

Hello raspberry,

how did you find out that the high speed trim was not working ? Usually you set the T/O trim unit in the preflight procedure and you have flaps up. Did you recognize the problem in the after landing scan while reseting the trim with flaps not up ?

raspberry
22nd Apr 2007, 17:05
I recognized the problem in the climb out and on the approach at the other end. As I could not find the problem in the MEL I grounded the aircraft.

I-2021
22nd Apr 2007, 17:09
I see, and it was the same with the A/P On and Off ?

raspberry
22nd Apr 2007, 17:50
yes it was the same with the AP switched on.

I-2021
22nd Apr 2007, 19:24
Ok, thanks for your feedback !:)

IFixPlanes
23rd Apr 2007, 05:02
For information only:
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5837/stabilizertrimcontrolcijd4.th.jpg (http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stabilizertrimcontrolcijd4.jpg)