PDA

View Full Version : Any1 starting their PPL at AFT in May

ali84
20th Apr 2007, 12:02
Hi every1
Im plannin to start my PPL at AFT in the 1st week of May, and was wondering if anyone else is starting their ppl then?? Also any1 whos currently at AFT, whats the accommodation like and the night life??

Cheers

Ali

gcolyer
20th Apr 2007, 12:39
I would forget night life if you are on an intensive course. Your night life will be Study, plan, study, plan and a liitle bit of sleep.

BlueRobin
20th Apr 2007, 14:37
Has Lori put you in the AFT House? Sounds a bit of a tip, mind the neighbour also.

They have some good chaps there doing PPL instruction, C152s are tidy also. Apparently they have good PPL instructor availability at the moment.

Nightlife? You'd need to go into town as Baginton is based on the fringes. Plenty of pubs and Uni students.

ali84
22nd Apr 2007, 16:27
Nope not sorted accommodation out yet, Lori left AFT last week, so there are going to recruit some1 else for her place. Dont know which place to stay from the list given, Id like to stay near to other ppl students. any advice???

Shunter
22nd Apr 2007, 16:53
> any advice???

Just one thing; text speak is highly annoying. No offence, just saying.

BlueRobin
22nd Apr 2007, 18:01
At least Ali knows that accommodation contains two Cs and two Ms! :}

Shame about Lori but I knew it was coming... (bonzer sheila!)

Sorry I have also left now and live locally, so can't really give a view on their housing list. How long will you be there for? Perhaps you ought to book in somewhere, get to know people and perhaps arrnage your situation from there?

ali84
23rd Apr 2007, 00:24
Only gonna be there for 2months, just for the PPL course and fingers crossed il get into the cadet program. After which il look into long term plans.

BlueRobin
23rd Apr 2007, 07:28
If you do go into the cadet program with Air Atlantique or Atlantic Airlines, they will house you. You'll also be their bee-aitch for many years including (initially) a day/night taxi driver. :)

ali84
24th Apr 2007, 12:12
Itle be worth it, since i wont be paying towards the course. Did you get into the sponsorship program?? any tips would be appreciated.

BlueRobin
24th Apr 2007, 14:44
Hi, tried for Atlantic and only got to the first stage. They used to operate a 25-yr age limit but with the recent age laws, I guess they stopped that. However they are perfectly entitled not to ask you to come back fro further interviews. Guess what happens? :) At 22 you'd be perfect.

wordyuk
25th Apr 2007, 14:50
Hi,

Been a cadet with Atlantique for 7 months now and it is definately worth it. Its been very hard work but also very rewarding.

Just for your information Atlantic Reconnaissance have now seperated from the Air Atlantique group and have become the RVL group (Reconnaissance Ventures Limited). RVL took with them all the current Atlantique cadets. The work load has drastically reduced however we still get the same rewards from the scholarship i.e. a fully paid for ATPL.

RVL will be taking on more cadets in the near future. The application form is still the Atlantique one (as we have only been seperated for about 3 weeks and most of the paper work still bares the Atlantique name) however you will be applying to be a cadet for RVL.

atlantique
2nd May 2007, 16:36
Having just read your thread saying you are going to AFT to do you ppl and then hoping to get put on the cadet scheme i thought i ought to inform you that this is highly unlikely. The cadet recruitment is highly spiradic and is not done by AFT. If anyone at AFT is saying so then they are stretching the truth slightly. I wouldn't go to AFT with the sole intention of trying to get into the cadet scheme. AFT don't put people forward for it, they only provide a venue and admin assistance during the interview stages. I would find somewhere cheaper to do ppl as AFT is expensive and being based at Coventry means long ATC delays. I would find a local flying field with a good reputation as you will save a fortune on your accommadation and landing fees and achieve a ppl in under 3/4 months which is quite probable at AFT.

ali84
8th May 2007, 21:32
Ive checked out my local flight schools, but they are all dodgy, well thats the impression i got when I visited them. Also took a trial lesson with them, but wasnt satisfied. The plus side with AFT is they are registered with CDL,which is allowing me to get a CDL to pay for the course. Anyway on a good note, Im moving down to Coventry this Sunday, gonna be staying at the AFT house and will be starting my PPL on Monday. Any advice or experiance would be appreciated. :D

MikeSamuel
9th May 2007, 10:33
Good luck! Coventry is a decent place to fly, good facilities although it lacks any kind of social space/cafe on site.

Interested to know how you go about the CDL thing - did you take a large loan based on the fact that you're going to do an ATPL by the modular route? Not heard of CDL for the PPL only before, but then again I haven't researched it much. Drop me a PM if you find the time.

atlantique
10th May 2007, 12:11
The AFT house is a ripoff you could find loads of places cheaper if you looked around, dont be fooled by the flash broucher and sales chat, they are awfully organised, expect long waits and delays. i did my CPL/MEP/IR there and it took over 5 months and that was minimum hours on all three. I will say that the training is very good IF you get the right instructor, the head of training and CFI are first rate and you will learn a lot from both of them! However they are flat out and if the chances of getting them as your instructor are slim. Good luck.....

ali84
11th May 2007, 15:29
Thanks for all the info. Managed to look through the AFT accommodation list and have found cheaper places, but involves living with people/families. Is this sort of places ok or im i better of with the AFT house, which I will be on my own until more students join, cause the 1st 2 AFT houses are full so il be moving into AFT house 3. As before thank you all for the advice.