PDA

View Full Version : Airfield recommendation west of Kemble ?

Tango Oscar
20th Apr 2007, 08:48
Can anyone recommend a decent airfield around 80-150nm west of Kemble? Just looking for a nice place, 500m > of grass or tarmac, with some interesting types, and preferably decent food.

Would be good if there was a local place of interest too, but not essential.

Any info appreciated:ok:

pulse1
20th Apr 2007, 09:11
Depends what you mean by "decent airfield".

Dunkeswell would probably meet all your requirements except local place of interest. Has a good runway and good food.

Perranporth has everything but good food on site but plenty within scenic walking distance (if you're fit).

Haverford West or Swansea are possibilities but I have no recent experience of either. I hope to put that right this Summer.

GK430
20th Apr 2007, 10:21
Haverfordwest - visited a few weeks back. Great airfield and friendly and pleasant enough facilities.
Same day, another pilot had come via Swansea and had been unable to even get a coffee.
Also, wx. permitting, great views around the coastline.

Tango Oscar
20th Apr 2007, 14:36
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at Dunkeswell and Haverfordwest this evening...

Pitts2112
20th Apr 2007, 15:53
Don't rule out Swansea. I was there with a mate over Easter weekend and it was alive and thriving. There's an active jump school and microlight flying school, a nice tarmac runway, good little cafe (the chicken curry was great), the staff were extremely friendly, and it's a great launching point for some very scenic flying along the Welsh coast or up in the valleys. Definitely worth dropping in on them!

Pitts2112

DaveW
20th Apr 2007, 16:30
It was a couple of years ago, but I enjoyed my trip to Pembrey.

Johnm
20th Apr 2007, 17:29
Land's End is easily doable for a day trip from Kemble

Tango Oscar
23rd Apr 2007, 09:02
Thanks all for your input. I actually ended up at Cherbourg(certainly not where I was expecting to go) !! It was a great flight, if a little murky across the channel.

Will definately look at the airports suggested soon (Lands End is very high on my list)

T.O.:ok:

BlueRobin
23rd Apr 2007, 09:46
Aberporth is welcoming if a little underused... some great enroute and local scenery.