PDA

View Full Version : Raf Atco

pilotho
19th Apr 2007, 22:04
Hi,

I am considering joining the RAF as an ATCO. Could you tell me what the current life and career prospect is like?

I would just like some personal opinion on the position.

Thanks.

FantomZorbin
20th Apr 2007, 07:36
Pilotho,

I suggest you try the 'ATC Issues' forum, you'll get plenty of info there from both the Military and Civilian standpoint. It is too long since I worked in that area so my comments would be out of date re: structure etc.

Terricolous Officer
20th Apr 2007, 15:15
Do you mean Voluntary Reserve Air Cadet Officer or joining full time as an Air Traffic Control Officer?

The RAF is a bit acronym-tastic I'm afraid.

airborne_artist
20th Apr 2007, 15:35
Make sure you know your ACLO (Air Cadets Liaison Officer) from your ACLO (Area Careers Liaison Officer) while you are about it :}

pilotho
21st Apr 2007, 16:09
I am thinking of joining the RAF as a full time ATCO. Got any comments about the position? No point in asking the actual recruiment officers I think...so better with people in the job.

Stuff I want to know is the life in the RAF. Would I be away for most of the year? What are the shifts like?

Basically, I don't know much about life in the military and I just want to know abit more before I consider it as a real option.

whowhenwhy
21st Apr 2007, 17:23
I'd post a reply, but anything that I said at the moment would not be overly helpful to said yoof. :{ I'll have a couple of bevvies and hope that that puts me in the mood. That said, have you done a search on the ATC issues forum fella? I'm sure that this has been discussed quite recently.