PDA

View Full Version : Flying Suit Fire Resistancy Tests

Ridgerunner
19th Apr 2007, 17:09
Hello all,

I am working on a presentation about fire prevention precautions and will be including a significant part about aviation clothing i.e flying suits and gloves etc. I have come across some links using search engines, but was hoping for some more specific case studies and perhaps some images (not to be morbid). Anyone know of any good links?

Cheers,

RR

Pontius Navigator
19th Apr 2007, 17:47
RR, have you thought of getting your own images?

If you could get hold of a Mk 14 and a Mk 16 FS you could then speak to your friendly fire section. They have a portable fire simulator. In case you don't know, they bubble propane through water and ignite it. Then you put the flames out with an extinguisher.

They might let you set up flying suits over the simulator and set fire to them.

Stuff
19th Apr 2007, 19:50
A flying suit isn't going to protect you from the effects of the towering inferno! Unless the fire simulator can do a flash fire all you are going to end up with is crispy black flying suit remains and a lot of worried onlookers.

Better make sure it's a new flying suit too and not one that's done 1000+ hrs as the fire resistance drops off after you wash it. I believe there's some special detergent stuff you are supposed to wash it in but I've never seen any, bit like the special silicone boot polish you are supposed to use.

SidHolding
19th Apr 2007, 19:52
I got a new pair of flying boots from stores at Cranwell a few weeks ago. The storeman, making small talk, told me my old size elevens (along with many other pairs) will be on their way to a company for on-going fire-proof testing!?!

Give Cranwell stores a call. They may be able to give you a contact number/address of the guys/gals testing current/used kit.

Sid.

PPRuNeUser0211
19th Apr 2007, 20:32
Stuff,

IIRC the new mark flying suits are made out of a newer model of Nomex which is normal detergent friendly, as opposed the old stuff which was supposed to be washed a "special detergent" that stopped the nomex breaking down.

The silicon boot polish is supposed to be less flamable than kiwi but not sure how much of a difference it actually makes!

(ps try setting fire to your issue watch strap and see how long it lasts...)

lsh
19th Apr 2007, 20:35
Ridgerunner, I have a long interest in motorsport and looked into fire resistant clothing many years ago when we started to be issued with Nomex flying suits. You will get a lot of information from motorsport.
20 years ago the info was something like: Single layer nomex gives about 15-20 seconds "full flame protection", that was for normal petrol, AVTUR???
It chars/degrades and after that time starts to lose its integrity. Add suitable underwear and the time rises to about 50 seconds (Nomex best, cotton/inert OK). You could however "boil in the bag" with just the suit, ie you dont catch fire but the heat will boil sweat etc!!
The important thing is that your clothing would not actually catch fire.
Sadly one of our guys only had synthetic underpants on underneath, they melted under the suit and stuck to his body. (Chinook, Hannover Airshow, 80's). Also the suit needs to be sewn with Nomex thread and the early flying suits were not, it was very easy to demonstrate with a lighter and length of thread!!
With a flash fire the important thing is to be covered so the boots/underwear/helmet/gloves/vizor do a pretty good job.
Its an interesting subject!
lsh

Charlie Luncher
19th Apr 2007, 21:27
AVMED should be able to give you all you need, I know there is an interesting interview with a couple of Spam AH64 crew who learnt the hard way that G strings are not suitable under a flight suit for more than one reason:= .
Charlie Sends

propulike
19th Apr 2007, 21:38
There was a Nav in the late '80s who tested the fire resistance of a suit in Happy Hour. Can't remember the details, but it didn't go well...he stayed in it!

TheWizard
19th Apr 2007, 21:46
RR, PM me and I can give you details of one of the leading UK companies in this area. They should have plenty of information for you:ok:
The Wiz

Wholigan
20th Apr 2007, 06:04
You could always ask the two guys who tested the fire resistance of a suit in Happy Hour. It was in the bar at Chivenor. :E

PTC REMF
20th Apr 2007, 07:30
The trials dept at the SERE school in St Mawgan may be able to help.

sirsaltyhelmet
20th Apr 2007, 12:59
I remember the Chiv night well! and the subsequent CM

BEagle
20th Apr 2007, 13:31
First rule is always to have a Safety Pint ready.....:ooh:

I gather they didn't at Chiv......:(

Fluffy Bunny
21st Apr 2007, 15:39
Probably couldn't afford it after spending their entire pay packet down the willies! :} :eek: