PDA

View Full Version : B767 - Fuel Jettison system

Glonass
19th Apr 2007, 00:47
We operate two B767-300, which have a low capacity jettison rate (Only one pump in each dual pump unit is activated). For those aircrafts the manual mentions that: “Flaps 25 or 30 should not be selected when using a low capacity jettison system”.
Could someone please enlighten me as to what is the reason behind this reasoning? :confused:
Thanks in advance. :)

Bolty McBolt
19th Apr 2007, 04:31
At the flap setting you mention the turbulent air coming from the wings/flaps causes the jettisoned fuel to spray over the empanage
Apparently this is not ideal :ok:

Glonass
19th Apr 2007, 16:05
Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, it sounds quite right, however why the precaution with the low capacity jettison rate system only; is this not so ideal situation avoided with the high capacity jettison system?

chemical alli
20th Apr 2007, 12:53
from memory it also has to do with the fact that fuel will hit the horizontal stab due to the turbulent air from the flaps and cause a buffetting sensation

Bolty McBolt
21st Apr 2007, 01:47
I can't confirm now but on the fleet of 767 I work with, all have the same limitation whether the jettison system be high or low capacity .

It could just be for standardisation across the fleet because the low capacity came first with the high capacity arriving on aircraft a few years later.

Need to keep it simple:ok:

chemical alli
21st Apr 2007, 14:45
you will also notice that the jettison tubes have had an extension of 10 inchs, this was a beoing ei to try and direct fuel away from stab,originally they were straight now they have a 20 degree offset

Glonass
26th Apr 2007, 00:03
Thank you much for your replies. :ok: