PDA

View Full Version : Services in Windows

planecrazy.eu
18th Apr 2007, 18:53
Hey All . . .

My laptop is grinding to a hault, i have done all i know to try and get it back upto speed, but i am having no luck =(

The latest thing i have done is disabled ALL startup items, and its still messing me around.

I have 50% of my installed programmes that wont run, inc itunes =(, so my music on my ipod is getting a little dated.

Anyways

Q1) What are the default number of processes that should be running on XP?

Q2) Is there any place i can find out what each and every service/process is? I can identify some, but some i cam scraching my head over...

My internet has gone really slow too...

Ideas welcome... Thanks

slim_slag
18th Apr 2007, 19:36
Microsoft provides a tool to drill down into the running processes which is better than the default. You can get it from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

Lost_luggage34
18th Apr 2007, 20:34
May also be worth downloading and running HiJackThis.

This will identify all running processes and registry entries.

www.hijackthis.de allows you to paste the log file and analyse it.

I think there is a reference to this in the FAQ at the top of the forum.

Romulus
18th Apr 2007, 22:48
How much disk space do you have left?

Delete any temporary files, check your Explorer history and get them out as well.

Use some of the system tools

Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools

Use the disk cleanup first

Then defrag.

May take some time, especially if you haven't defragged recently.

BOAC
18th Apr 2007, 22:48
Read post by Juud?

Mac the Knife
19th Apr 2007, 17:42
The oddly-name Black Viper - http://www.blackviper.com/ - offers an excellent review of Windows services that you need and don't need with good advice as to what you can turn off and what you definitely shouldn't turn off.

BV has been away for a while, but now returns - seems to be quite a character.

:ok:

Tarq57
20th Apr 2007, 00:50
Another vote for Black Viper's site. Quite clear and complete descriptions, with advice concerning what may and may not work, and what depends on it, and how to find that out.
Plenty other goodies in there, too.

Gingerbread Man
9th May 2007, 17:41
Does it look like this?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/rich6034/wtm2.jpg

Hurry! Get the defibrilator! This was my laptop about 10 mins ago, which was probably caused by running 40 processes (i'm guessing - I know nothing about this sort of thing). I'll try following the advice above to see if it calms this crazy bastard laptop down. That CPU history was just running Internet Explorer for christ sake!

Cheers

Ginger ;)

Turn It Off
9th May 2007, 20:45
Holy Cow!!!

Thats a bit lively!

Can i suggest pcpitstop (not sure if I am allowed to post a link)

If that doesn;t work drop me a pm.

TIO

planecrazy.eu
9th May 2007, 21:47
I found my problems, just as a follow up...

40D (FOUR ON DEMAND) that was No1 issues, then No2 was some addon that my RealTek audio driver had added on...

I am getting a little hang on system start, but only 20 secs or so, this is due to the fast things that start up, AOL been the most greedy of em...