PDA

View Full Version : Airside Clearance

somethink
16th Apr 2007, 12:35
I've just got my JAA Class 1 medical and am now looking to commence a full time training course in the UK all the way to ATPL but am slightly concerned about gaining airside clearance once I obtain my license.

I understand that airside clearance is applied for at the stage when you have been accepted by an employer (correct me if I am wrong on this), and a thorough check of your whereabouts for the last 5 years is required.

My problem is that I worked for 18 months on a casual basis for a family member (in the UK) and have no record of this in terms of payslips/tax returns as I was paid in kind (with board and lodging).

I have contacted the Department for Transport and the person I spoke to said that they were not concerned with employment history in terms of security checks but the airlines would be. :confused:

Can someone clear this up for me please as I was pretty sure you had to provide evidence of your whereabouts including proof of employment??

I just want to be 100% on this before I shell out for the training and then cannot work due to this technicality. :ugh:

I am also interested to know what documents are required as proof of self-employment as that is my current situation. Do they require bank statements/invoices/tax returns etc??

silverknapper
16th Apr 2007, 13:13
You will have to account for the previous five years through references from an employer or a social security security office if you were on the dole. However any gaps can be referenced by someone who knows you who you don't live with and falls into the correct category - think of the types who are allowed to sign your passport application and you won't go far wrong.

Besides you are starting training now. Give that 2 years - then 6 months to job hunt, 2 months for the FI rating when you realise that job isn't that easy to come by. Instruct for 18 months then by the time you actually start five years will have flown by!!!:eek:

Luke SkyToddler
16th Apr 2007, 13:30
Yeah its no big deal, I thought I would have a problem too because I a few years ago I went backpacking round Africa for 3 months living in a tent, obviously I was able to produce absolutely no proof of where I was or what I was doing, but it turns out all you have to do just have to write on the form what you were doing and then get a mate to verify it. As far as I'm aware any old punter will do as long as you claim to have known them for over 5 years, it could be Abu Hamza for all they know or care.

Good on you DfT, al qaeda will NEVER figure out how to get around that one, you've stopped them in their tracks :ok: :ugh: :ugh:

somethink
17th Apr 2007, 09:04
Thanks a lot for the replies, feel a lot happier about this now. :ok:

The whole process seems utterly flawed but I suppose they need to show that there is some form of check on your history