PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Australian Airlines

smi006
16th Apr 2007, 10:10
Hey Guys,
Whats that saying it never rains it pours? Well it really is true after putting in my online application for both REX and Eastern Australian, I received an invite to both interviews for this Friday both at the same time. Obviously I can’t go to both, so could anyone tell me about the working conditions at the two? Are they comparable (ie will I need to toss a coin to decide?) or are there obvious advantages of one over the other. I’m also interested in the general work atmosphere of the too, is anyone here working for them are you guys happy and content?
Had a quick flick through and couldn’t see anything on the topic

Another question diverging a bit now, was wondering if anyone knew of anything in the pipes for Qantaslink to compete with Virgins new Embraers?

Thanks Heaps for any help or ideas!
(and if I’m doing something wrong with this thread tell me lol, or if there is some form of etiquette or something I’ve broken please tell me too!!)

regionalguy
17th Apr 2007, 06:04
Hey

You can check out the T&C's for both airlines here

Rex: http://www.faaadomestic.org.au/airline.asp?type=recent&id=11

EAA: http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/Search/view.asp?docid=230474&query=(EASTERN%20AUSTRALIA%20AIRLINES)&page=0&quickview=Y

The morale at EAA is crap and i mean crap at the moment. Our EBA was voted down last year and now management want us to vote on it again and everyone is pi$$ed about it. Its not always like that though, it can be a great place to work.

I'm pretty sure VB will be competing with QantasLink (Sunstate) on the Embraers but Sunnies already have the routes. it will be vb coming onto their flying not the other way around.

Hey.... good luck on Friday what ever you choose.

CrashAxe
17th Apr 2007, 10:16
Hi Smi006,

Yeah, I agree with Regionalguy... Morale is down at the moment due to EBA negotiations and a certain General Manager, Cabin Crew Manager and moronic Team Manager (the puppet of the Cabin Crew Manager) who are convinced that by telling us all how bad we have it due to REX , that we'ill agree to an EBA with less restrictive practices. Good for the company from a productivity perspective, not so good from a lifestyle perspective! :ugh:

I don't know what to tell you SMI006.... the flying on both is similar. Morale is better at REX at the moment (from what my frends tell me) but then again, like Regionalguy says, sometimes it's better..... I wish I could be more optomistic for you! :hmm:

Don't believe anything they tell you about 'career progression' at the recruitment day... People don't career progress from QantasLink anymore... they just move on to Jetstar and other carriers!

All the best in your decision making.....

CrashAxe

zacnic
18th Apr 2007, 04:28
:eek: Hi can anyone help me? I have an interview with REX does anyone have any ideas on what happens in the interview? What is the best way to approach it as I am a first timer. I am very nervous!

FA1
18th Apr 2007, 11:13
Attend every opportunity you get invited to, as you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch. Also the more interview experience you get the better your chances. They all tend to use the same format so if you get stuck on the questions with the first airline, the second airline will probably use similiar questions. Also cabin crew recruitment process takes a long time from the asessment day to the job offer so give them all a go.
Also I've heard Qantaslink pays you during groundschool where as Rex doesn't. And that Rex doesn't offer a job untill after you have completed groundschool and a position becomes vacant where as with Qantaslink your guaranteed a fulltime position when the offer is made for groundschool.

Aviator_Oz78
22nd Apr 2007, 10:47
QantasLink is expanding rapidly, it is part of the Qantas empire and has performed consistently well financially for many years. I know who id rather work for! Good luck with whoever you decide to apply for!

smi006
30th Apr 2007, 03:57
Hey Guys,
Just thought I’d give you a quick update went along to the eastern interview was a blast had the best day really great group of people. Got through to the panel interview and have been sent out the medical and security forms so where to now? There can’t be too much further to-go surly?? Could be wrong, though. Anyone know what hotel in Sydney the crew stays at for training?
So excited lol fingers crossed:)

qfdash8
21st May 2007, 10:53
Hi, smi006

Most likely you will stay at the Holiday Inn although they may revert back to putting trainees in the Mercure Hotel..... Are you MEL or SYD base????

qfdash8
21st May 2007, 10:57
What does everyone think about the new trainers that have just been appointed?

exmax
24th May 2007, 21:55
Can anyone shed any light on when there will be upcoming ground schools and what it's REALLY like working for Eastern? I've already read the EBA so just looking for an insiders perspective.

Thanks.

mouse78
25th May 2007, 05:06
Okay well, i'm just going to say that it is my belief that trainers should have at least 2 years flying experience before they can qualify to become a trainer. It shows in some ways that seniority is not really relevent! Lets just hope that any newbies to EEA feel that they can approach any of the senior FA's if they need advice!

Happy flying guys! :ok:

CrashAxe
25th May 2007, 13:33
Well well well..... the 'Trainers' debate surfaces again.

What do I think? I think W H A T E V E R!

Why?

Because at the end of the day, if someone is good enough to pass an interview and meet the requirements, then they farkin' get the job! Isn't it that simple?

Jesus, this ageism and snarly remarks within our ranks really has to stop. I was sitting in the Crew Room the other day listening to some moron twattle on about how 'geez they're young... I don't think it's right... we need older people with experience etc". let me tell you something... the younger generation is entering the workforce and as for some of the old ducks out there, get used to it!

So what if they haven't been there for years? At the end of the day our job isn't rocket scince! :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

To my colleagues in Melbourne - you know who you are.... grow up! Get some sort of grip on life and move on. :mad: :mad:

Now on to the next distraction... WTF is going on with our EBA?!

qfdash8
31st May 2007, 01:38
I agree with crash axe.......

Hey MOUSE we only have one senior flight attendant. Seniority only applies to progression, although some of us do believe that we are more superior to others that is only personal beleif.

Im not going to comment properly on the new trainers until ive seen them at work. Although i was surprissed at the decision because they have both been at Eastern less than a year.

Although ive have heard alot of negative about the new trainers it has come mostly from those who didn't apply. Perhaps if you thought you could do a better job you should have applied yourself...

CrashAxe
31st May 2007, 21:32
qfDash8,

Well said. At the end of the day, their performance will be judged when out on line really - and the only person to judge it is those being trained!

It's a real pity that the most vocal; as you say qfdash8, are the ones that didn't apply. Isn't that they call 'tall poppy syndrome?' How AUSTRALIAN!! :hmm:

Anyway, with the rate how the Company keeps losing people, length of service really will be a tough call when it comes to interviewing people! People just don't seem to hang around like they used to! It's weird, but then maybe that's a sign of the times.

Ho hum... Hey, has anyone heard the rumours about progression? I've heard it may be happening soon?

EAAFA
31st May 2007, 23:33
Crashaxe and qfdash8, I agree with you both to a point about the trainers' positions but I disagree with some of your statements.
Most of the compaints among Melbourne crew are not about who got the positions, but the fact that the selection process comes down to a single interview. What I've heard most people say is that staff should be here long enough (as mouse78 said, at least 2 years) to prove themselves before they become eligible to apply for a trainer's position.
Personally, I don't agree because this ignores an applicant's previous professional experience. Aviation experience isn't the be all and end all.
Everyone has a right to an opinion. What bothers me is that so many people get worked up about issues (and this isn't the only one), but when asked whether they've discussed their concerns with management, the answer is always "no". If you've got a problem with the way things are done, take it to management.

PS The staff morale is only low if you let office politics get to you ( something I'm trying hard to stay out of. It isn't always easy).

CrashAxe
2nd Jun 2007, 08:21
Mmmm in an indealistic world, perhaps you're right EAAFA... But the reality is this:

Recruitment Policies generally dictate that the only thing you can take into account is the candidate's performance on the day and then any other relevant factors including their operating perfomance to date. If the quality of the interview was not good, then it may have made it somewhat of a 'two horse race'? Who knows. And from my understanding, Qantas' policy is that jobs are advertised and require an interview... so this is no different.

Mmmm your commnts about people whining are interesting... Why is it that people don't take it to Management? Perhaps it's because we never bloody see Management! That's what I reckon.... :mad: :ugh:

bodex666
3rd Jun 2007, 21:44
Had a interview last week and got offered a spot on the next Dash ground school at the end of this month, just a quickie, does anyone know how long till a command with the current flow of crew through the company?

FA1
7th Jun 2007, 05:53
bodex666, is this for Sydney or Newcastle base?

EAAFA
8th Jun 2007, 09:03
I don't know what to make of your last post, crashaxe.

My post was about what I've heard people say. I wasn't expressing my personal opinions.

Nevertheless, I'll address some of the points you've made.

1. Just because we follow the rules for internal recruitment as set by Qantas doesn't mean those rules are right. The only way to improve systems is to continually review them. If managers are not aware of how staff feel, no review will ever take place.

2. A crucial part of recruiting externally is checking references. Reviewing an employee's track record could be seen as the equivalent of checking references when recruiting internally. Other companies do it and it is not seen as a discriminatory practice.
How can it be beneficial to our business to promote people to training positions based on a single interview regardless of their history with the company? In theory, the worst flight attendant could perform better than the best flight attendant in an interview, but would the company want the worst flight attendants training new recruits?
For example, did you know that one of the unsuccessful applicants for the trainer's position has won the Excel Award two years in a row? In other words, the company consider him to be one of our best flight attendants, yet he isn't good enough to be a trainer.

3. You don't have to see managers to communicate with them. I'm in Melbourne and have never had any trouble contacting them by phone or email.

FA1, has the opening of a Newcastle base been announced? I haven't heard anything.

bodex666
9th Jun 2007, 11:59
Sydney was the preffered, no mention of newcastle as I'm living up there at the moment. Ive heard rumors of it, any facts to a newcastle base?

CrashAxe
10th Jun 2007, 08:44
Hi,

I've heard rumours about it as well. I actually rang JG and MB about the rumours to ask if it was true and he said that nothing official has been released, although he admitted he too had heard rumours about the idea, but apparently they were being bantered around by some SYD based pilot.

I guess a NTL base would make sense... given the number of NTL flights that we're doing.

A NTL base could be quite interesting. I wonder how many crew it would need.

FA1
10th Jun 2007, 10:23
I can't see it happening although some "know it alls" particularly Sydney based crew who residing in Newcastle are pushing for it. There are a number of additional costs and facilities involved along side crew set up costs.

If a base was to be opened in NTL then why not open up another base in every port and eliminate all overnights? Lets do it, lets turn into Jetstar!

Realisticly, I don't even see the point in setting up a Newcastle base. Jetstar is expanding and they could eaisly take that route from Qantaslink and allow Qantaslink to increase services to other ports that JQ don't operate too. Who knows? Who cares?

qfdash8
10th Jun 2007, 13:10
FA1 .... you dont even make sence. The reason that a base in NTL would need to open is because we overnight 9 crew there 6 nights a week as aposed to 3 or 4 crew on a regular overnight. Dont you think its justified. :D

bodex666
12th Jun 2007, 07:30
Cant help but notice guys saying that qantaslink pay for your accomodation whilst you do your ground school in sydney. Is this still the case?? Im doing my endo at the end of this month and there has been no mention of accomo, but then again theres been no mention of course layout etc etc.

Can anyone shed me some light ?

FA1
12th Jun 2007, 10:13
I can't see it happening and I don't care either way. :)

bodex666, accommodation is paid for if your overnighting anywhere other than your home base.

So if your offered a position based out of Sydney, accommodation won't be offered during training in Sydney.

EAAFA
12th Jun 2007, 21:42
Given that the company finds the Sunstate EBA more compatible with the business' needs, I think it would make more sense to open a Sunstate base in Newcastle.

It would be interesting to know how much money would be saved by opening the base...

CrashAxe
16th Jun 2007, 22:58
Rumours, Rumours, Rumours...

If they're actually rumours, how do we know BI is actually saying this then?! And again, given that you yoursel said that they're 'rumours', why would we demand the FAAA maek someone stand down on the basis of rumour?

Now don't get me wrong, I think BI is a two-faced SOAB... however, he's no worse than the greasy Melb rep who was apparently kicked out of the FAAA (and apparently worked for LongHaul - but no one can recall him...)

Ahh well. Another day in paradise!

No seriously though, I did hear another rumour... Apparently Dubbo and Devenport are getting runways big enough to take an A380. This must mean QantasLink's getting the big bird.... has anyone told LongHaul yet?! ;-) :p

mr-boo
20th Jun 2007, 09:13
Even though it has been months since we were first offered our EBA, I still can't help but get angry about it. I think it has mainly to do with the ABSOLUTE GALL of management giving it to us, and stating how ungrateful we were for not accepting it.

Some points in question:

*Why is one of the world's most profitable airlines trying to make US feel guilty about the competitive airline industry? Personally I spend my time worrying about other things, like how I'm going to pay my rent this fortnight. :confused:

* How is the 13 hour rule making us so restrictive? They just put another F/A on after we finish, that's all! :rolleyes:

* Why is the DTA we were offered so dismal? Considering our level of responsibility, that rate is an insult. :mad:

* If we have to work longer hours, how will those of us who need second jobs to survive be able to hold two jobs? :uhoh:

* Why on earth would we give up the things we have fought for in the past just because Sunstate don't have them in their EBA? :yuk:

Worst of all, I am sick to death of the whole "Sunstate do it fine" crap. Well Sunstate employees don't live in the 2 most expensive cities in Australia.

Throughout the whole meeting process, NG and DH kept saying "This EBA is great because it means you won't have to get drafted or work on your days off". SFW? We shouldn't have to do that on this current EBA either!

The part that really bothered me at the EBA meetings was that DH told a flat out lie. When someone asked if we would be getting trips away, another F/A mentioned how the CBR F/A's had been told they would be doing Brisbane flying (which they aren't doing now).

He then turned around and said "No, they were never told that". BULLS***! They were obviously told that so they could fill up that dismal base! You can ask ANY of the F/A's and pilots there that one. How the hell are we supposed to trust these people when they lie to us?? :ugh:

It saddens me so much that I now hate going to a job that I used to love and look forward to so much. If management's intention was to destroy our morale well, mission accomplished. They've destroyed mine.:D

Mr Seatback 2
20th Jun 2007, 09:59
The Sunstate crew earn a bit of DTA (based on one of my good mates who USED to work there a while back - it MAY have changed since then...) because of multi-day trips up from BNE to CNS. As I recall, the trip used to take about 4 days return - DTA paid the whole time from Sign on to Sign off, of course.

Different story if you're talking about a 2-day trip. BNE to CNS is a long 'milk run' between two very separate cities, with numerous stops there and back. Does Eastern do anything similar at the moment?

mr-boo
6th Jul 2007, 07:15
I guess you've all heard the news about progression today.

How absolutely heart-breaking. To wait all this time and only have 5 of us from Eastern progress. :{

Clearly staying there is really not worth it, particularly after that devastating EBA that had the nerve to offer us.

We have so little and yet management won't be happy until they take it all.

And the real sore spot is that 20 from MAM did progress. :mad:

mouse78
6th Jul 2007, 07:49
Hi Mr Boo! From my reading it was 5 per base, for EEA & SSA. ie. 5 from Mel/Syd/Mql etc (well five from MQL would be pointless HAHA!). At least its something!

Also re. EBA. Dont you find it strange that we have not heard anything in months! Maybe EEA & SSA will be merging sooner than we think! That leads to another question! If we merge, will the EEA FA's be told to sign the SSA agreement?

Hang in there!

Mouse:E

Mr Seatback 2
6th Jul 2007, 09:33
Sorry Mouse, 5 per AIRLINE...5 from Eastern, 5 from Sunnies, 5 from JQ.

Some movement better than none...wish it could have been more.

regionalguy
6th Jul 2007, 09:49
Boo,

I don't think the numbers had much to do with our management, I think it sounds like Qantas are the ones to dictate that. Personally I think if they knew far enough in advance our management would let as many of the more longer serving crew go as they could, that way they could bring in fresh f/a's who don't reallly know what its all about and possibly get that EBA through !

Its good news for those at the top though. Congrats to the lucky 5 !

Mr Seatback

Are you one of the lucky ones ? ...... drum roll..... crossing fingers for you

Mr Seatback 2
6th Jul 2007, 10:13
No...missed out this time...past number 5. :mad:

regionalguy
6th Jul 2007, 10:16
Mr Seatback

I'm really sorry to hear that. Are you close to the top ? Is there any chance enough will say no to Perth ? Presuming you would say yes of course :-)

Mr Seatback 2
6th Jul 2007, 10:54
So close I can taste it...but not close enough where it counts.

Very small chance that some will say no...but, it's now a game of wait and see.

Knowing my luck, I'll be left as the 'number 6' to this callout.

Off to get drunk. :{

PER210
6th Jul 2007, 12:39
regional.. what do you mean would there be enough to say no to perth?

regionalguy
6th Jul 2007, 22:50
If crew who have "ANY" base or PER listed as their preferred option for CP and are who are in the tope 5 this time, they will be offerred a progression place and may just say no. Yes its a longshot but you never know. If you are in the top 5 and have listed SYD/BNE/MEL as your preferred base you don't even get asked the question.

EAAFA
7th Jul 2007, 09:02
5 from each airline is very disappointing, especially since it has been so long since the last intake.
I don't think anyone will turn down this offer because that would mean going to the end of the list.

smartalec888
7th Jul 2007, 09:32
There's a recruitment day in Carins shortly for Qantaslink... can someone tell me what the working conditions are like in CNS? I presume one is employed on a fulltime basis? Casuals? Staff travel?

Thanks.

GalleyHag
8th Jul 2007, 01:24
Mr Boo

Why is it a sore spot that 20 MAM casuals were offered positions. Are you not aware of the regional progression agreement? You need external applicants (in this case MAM) to even actitivate regional progression.

Here is post I put on another thread in regard to this issue. I here what you are saying but the agreement is black and white.

Oilboiler

You are obviously a crew member of either Eastern or Sunstate, therefore you would or should be familar with the regional progression agreement between the FAAA and Qantas. You will note contained within this agreement is a cluase which activates regional progression and it states along the lines of when 32 or more external applicants are appointed to permanent positions within Qantas short haul ex number will progress from Eastern and Sunstate and I think from memory the numbers are something like 10 and 6 respectively.

I can understand your frustration at the numbers being progressed, however without the MAM crew being made permanent there would be zero movement out of the regionals. Since the introduction of regional progression all those years ago it was only ever actitivated when new crew were recruited off the street so to speak and placed into permanent positions. Back in those days 100 new crew would be offered permanent positions and only 4 people would move from Eastern. Even after Ansett in 2001 many hundreds of people were given permanent positions and only handful progressed from Eastern and Sunstate.

Now that we have MAM casuals any available permanent positions are now offered to that pool of crew rather then the traditional way of general public recruitment. In this case the magic of 32 external applicants was not reached therefore each airline is getting a token number being 5. Sunstate seems to have done the best considering their normal number of progression is 6.

I certainly appreciate where you are coming from but in this instance you are directing your frustration at the wrong people. The regional progression agreement is now outdated and doesnt take into account the current employment practices of Qantas and as such regional crew suffer.

Lets hope there will be further movement again in the near future, you just never know whats around the corner everything changes day by day lately.

Mr Seatback 2
8th Jul 2007, 09:32
I guess the disappointment from the subsidiary crew exists for a number of different reasons.

Whilst the majority of us understand the complexity of the CP agreement, we also feel somewhat 'slighted' by the fact that MAM's have achieved more positions than us. That's not to say they do not deserve these positions - everyone deserves access to them...however, if the positions were at least equal (20 MAM, 20 subsidiary), it would at least seem fairer to the subsidiary crew.

From my perspective, here is my background. Maybe some of my regional counterparts can relate...

I joined Impulse back in early 2001. Soon after, we started flying as QantasLink. A few months later, Qantas purchased us in November 2001. As part of our successive EBA's, we negotiated to be part of Career Progression - not an easy task.

We continued flying as QantasLink...until the grand idea of a low cost carrier was launched - the choice was either a new company (thus threatening our jobs at the time - a veiled threat, but one nonetheless), or using us to become what we know as Jetstar - a complete reversal from full service airline, with overnights, to multi-sector day flying, every day back to home base.

Our choice, at the time, was either stay - or go of our own accord - with the large increase in duty hours, removal of overnights, and the pain associated with introducing a low cost carrier to Australia. Not without our bad press either. No offer to transfer to S/H, VR, etc.

I now find myself 3 years into JQ Domestic. I didn't take international because the AWA was less pay, more work than my current EBA. Whilst I make a concerted effort to enjoy myself and have a good day at work, I average 150 odd hours every month. I generally operate 4 sector days every day. True, it's my choice to stay, but for the majority of subsidiary crew, we 'old timers' have stayed on in the hope to progress to S/H.

Now...almost 6 years on...I feel I've earned the right to transfer. Yet, once again, I've been diddled by circumstances not of my making, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

This system needs to change to ensure hard-working crew like myself, and my colleagues throughout the subsidiaries, are rewarded for their patience and hard work with the carrot that's dangled in front of us year after year (or should that be, every 18 months). And with the goal posts getting changed time after time (8 in 2004, 16 in 2006, and now 5 in 2007...), it's starting to **** me. I'm used to uncertainty, and change...but I don't think I'm asking for too much.

End of rant. Need to drink a sav blanc. This is all too depressing.

lfdlfp
10th Jul 2007, 00:43
Very well put, Mr Seatback 2.

galleyhag, yes the progression agreement is outdated.

it is exactly because QF is making it up as they go along that they should have more consideration for the way their decisions effect staff morale at subsidiaries. i'm sure MAMs have been as loyal as regional f/as, but we at eaa and saa have been working for years under conditions that are way below those enjoyed by qf/mam crew, not to mention the noise levels we put up with on dashes. if qf appreciates what we do for the company, they should show it by rewarding us with progression on a regular basis and in greater numbers in each intake.

don't get me wrong, i like what i do but there's a limit to how many years you can manage on this pay and conditions.

the progression agreement ONLY applies to regionals, not mam, so how come qf is taking 20 mams and only 15 from subsidiaries?????

GalleyHag
11th Jul 2007, 08:41
OK problem solved let Qantas take 20 people from general recruitment of the street and then you wont have anything to bitch about. I didnt hear any real uproar when Qantas took 32 MAM's back in 2005 thus activating the progression progress agreement for 10 Eastern, 6 Sunstate and something like 15 Jetstar in January/February 2006.

The agreement is crap but as I said before if no-one is ever offered permanent from an external source progression never occurs.

Mr Seatback there are people at Eastern who have been around a lot longer then you and will still miss out in this intake so spare I thought for them. They were at Eastern when you joining Impulse which at the time was a competitor to Qantas and progression wasnt even an option for you and lets put it into prespective. A 4 leg day on an A320 or Dash8? Zero comparison.

Mr Seatback 2
11th Jul 2007, 09:15
GalleyHag,

32 MAM's vs 31 Regionals is a little more equitable in terms of ratios. No-one - least of all me - is questioning the people taken who activate CP (whether they be MAM or off the street - personally, don't care)...it's more a question of one lot of numbers vs the other. A gap of 1 versus a gap of 5 can mean an awful lot to some folk - particularly people like me, who have traditionally watched intakes of 8 & 16 go through, only for it to be reduced to 5 this time round, meaning I miss out again for a further 18 months-2 years...god willing.

Now...at the risk of sounding off...my post earlier on was used to demonstrate the unfairness of my situation...no doubt experienced by many fellow crew at both Eastern and Sunstate. I was simply stating a fact - one which you also just pointed out - that people like myself (such as the Eastern & Sunnies folk) have been waiting a while, only for this round of opportunities to be reduced in favour of more numbers for MAM/external crew. My experience won't be the only one I imagine.

In terms of perspective...whoa fella. Don't even be bringing that whole 4-sectors on a Dash vs A320 nonsense. We subsidiary folk all work hard, and whilst JQ crew do earn more money (just), our conditions are about average across the board compared to those of the 'mothership'. Our average shift at JQ domestic is around 9-10 hours, + delays of course, + cleaning the aircraft at each port...etc etc. There have been a few Eastern crew who left there, to join JQ, only to leave and return to Eastern because of the easier lifestyle Eastern offers - if that tells you anything about JQ rosters and flying.

We negotiated for Career Progression as part of our EBA 2 back in 2002. Eastern and Sunnies crew were not disadvantaged by this, as their numbers, in fact, increased during this period based on previous intakes. Furthermore, we go into QF at Year 1 rates, irrespective of our years of service or salary. I understand this is not the case at Eastern or Sunstate, where you preserve your salary point when you transfer across.

Let's not forget Eastern, Sunstate & Southern were all purchased by Australian in the 90's, and were simply included in the merger with QF in the mid 90's. One could very well argue the crew who existed at these airlines prior to the purchase were also 'not as entitled' to Career Progression, as you indicate in your 'Impulse was a competitor' argument.

Like all JQ crew, I understand that there are others at Eastern and Sunstate who have worked longer and will continue to wait for slots - just like some of our crew. One isn't necessarily better, or for that matter, more-hard-done-by, based on the aircraft we fly or how long we've been a subsidiary.

Funny thing is...progression is the only thing that keeps most people at all these subsidiary carriers. In the now competitive, in-demand labour market that exists for all crew these days, can QF - and the subsidiaries - allow their most experienced, and yet most downtrodden, subsidiary crew to march to their competitors like they currently do (eg. Sunstate to DJ), or to other industries? QF may not like the idea of CP...but ask yourself why so many of the CP crew become valued CSM's.

1 year at subsidiary = 2 years at mainline, as they say. ;)

FA1
12th Jul 2007, 13:15
I am sorry to say but this discussion on progression is pointless. Qantas have made a decision. We all know its especially unfair to Qantaslink crew but the decision has been made and we cannot do anything about it.

We all know how everyone feels about it.

resboy
13th Jul 2007, 15:25
Under current arrangements JQ crew must complete 2 years service before they can place themselves on the list.

The reality is however the list is so long that the people who make CP at present are from Impulse days so we're talking 6-7 years service. The list has to get through all the crews from Qantaslink days as well before it will ever reach a "pure" JQer. Possibly in the year 2497 :}.

Hope that clarifies.

GalleyHag
14th Jul 2007, 08:54
lfdlfp
Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. So after you have read all the relevant documents in regard to career progression of the various airlines come back and have another go at me.

Outrage of the MAM positions PLEASE!!

True It is none of my business but I am the biggest supporter of regional progression and the crew that do have the opportunity to progress I assist as much as I can. So when you have something to offer to go right ahead but dont have a go at me.

votenoeaaeba
14th Jul 2007, 09:18
You all seem to be a little highly strung over the CP issue. The point is JQ and EAA and SSA are all in this together. The thing is the MAM positions were needed to be offered to trigger progression, great! The not so great thing is that MAM exists in the first place, we don't see movement to mainline anymore becasue of them and QF stocking aircraft with them.

MAM is the enemy not us.

As for JQ earning just a little bit more then EAA crew lets compare my 32000 for my mates 52000, and we have both been flying for 2 years.

votenoeaaeba
14th Jul 2007, 09:23
The CP agreement needs to be changed to make it more relevant to todays conditions, maybe BI should be trying to do that instead of appointing union rep's nobody voted for.

FA1
14th Jul 2007, 09:52
Yes, low cost cariers paying their staff more than Australia's largest regional airline. And they don't do overnights, and have less responsibility. EAA is becomming a joke, no wonder the t/c's are leaving.

And as for that MAM to trigger progression, Qantas if they wanted to couldn have recruited from their online applicantions, allowing everyone the equal opportunity to apply for a fair position!

Mr Seatback 2
14th Jul 2007, 12:51
FA1

True, QF could recruit from their online applications...indeed, from the still active waitlist that exists currently! But of course, the choice for QF is clear...casual, or nothing! You're absolutely right of course...trouble is, QF don't think like you and I

votenoeaaeba

I was referring specifically to salaries alone...not all the allowances, etc. as the two airlines do very different flying. When crew transfer on CP to the mothership, your salary entry point (to my understanding...please correct me if I'm wrong) is higher than ours, as we enter at Year 1.

Bear in mind that our salary is inclusive of DTA, etc...so when those of us @ JQ progress across, we go from the mid 30's salary to mid 20's + allowances.

regionalguy
15th Jul 2007, 00:35
MrSeatback, I think your right, I'm pretty sure that when we progress across we all go onto the salary 2 level, no matter how long we have been flying for eaa or ss.

We can go on and on about the difference in numbers being offered to the regional/jq crew as opposed to the MAM's all we want, but the fact is qf have dictated how many of each they want. We can wish it was more than the 5 each of us, but it just wasn't........ whinging and moaning is not going to help us, in fact it will just make us all the more bitter and upset about our current situation and god knows eaa doesn't need the morale killer, things are bad enough already.

votenoeaaeba, MAM aren't our enemy, they are people just like us who have a flying career. Yes their paid more (who isn't ?) but they are already endorsed and operate on the qf's aircraft. So on that basis alone I can see why qf would make more of them permanent.... No training just paperwork.... definately a "what's best for the business" decision, sadly fairness just doesn't come into it.

I said this on another thread and I'll say it again, we've all got choices people, we know that the cp agreement can be taken away from us if they want as its not in the EBA. So I guess the question(s) then become

Are we happy we got anything at all?
Are we happy that we have cp in the first place, no matter what it looks like ?
Are we happy to hang around for whatever they might change it to ?
Or do we make a decision based on our current working conditions/lifestyle knowing that cp might never get to us in our current flying career ?

Being bitter and angry about what has happened is NOT helping any of us. In the meantime we should just try to be happy for those that have progressed, no matter what airline they go from and hope that the union can get us something that we will be willing to hang around for. Life is too short and work is to long to be angry and bitter about the good fortune of others.

FA1
16th Jul 2007, 07:36
Exactly, but what makes me angry is our manager is doing nothing to improve the moral around the workplace, yet you always hear "for duty of care"! After all the dissapointment we have had to deal with in the past 12 months with career progression and the whole EBA story. You walk into the crew rooms and all you ever hear is bad news. Our management team really need to introduce something positive. Can't they see it? :ugh:
Also, ummm UNION hello:confused: what are you doing? I'ts 2007, approaching 2008 :confused:, by the time the new EBA agreed and implemented it will have expired already. Is there something you know thats happening that you're not telling us? What are you doing with our money?

mouse78
22nd Jul 2007, 03:59
I was asking this a few days ago! I found out from a friend of mine at VB that the union "told" them to vote for their EBA, it was voted down by 90%! Also, if by some miracle of god, that we do vote for an EBA, what will be the deal with back pay? I know the pilots ended up getting 50%, but they had to fight for it!

Hang in there!

Mouse

PS Re. CP: I didnt jump on the dash for CP, I love it working on them! But my heart goes out to those that missed out!:{

mr-boo
24th Jul 2007, 06:38
Okay is the rumour true that we're getting our next (ugh) EBA this week?:ugh:

lfdlfp
29th Jul 2007, 09:07
mr boo, I got the new eba in the mail on friday. nothing seems different. there is a cover letter assuring us that the worst case scenario will never happen, ie rostered to sign on twice in one day, 9 hour rest at home base, etc.
mouse, there will be no back pay.

regionalguy
31st Jul 2007, 10:20
Here we go again. What makes them think we feel any better about this now than we did 8 months ago ? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

And we thought moral was bad after the first EBA and with the CP news, this is going to send it to the toilet big time. At least they're consistent at not giving a $hit about us.

TightSlot
31st Jul 2007, 11:36
There is an important difference between 'moral' and 'morale'

Doesn't bother me, but you may find yourself in an embarrassing situation one day if you don't know the difference!

:O:O:O:O:O

regionalguy
1st Aug 2007, 06:47
Thanks Tightslot,I do know the difference, just can't type as it seems. Lucky for me it wasn't part of the interviewing process. :ok:

lfdlfp
2nd Aug 2007, 00:23
at least this time the union isn't telling us to vote YES. how many times do they expect us to vote on the same document? FYI: NO MEANS NO!!!!!!!

CrashAxe
2nd Aug 2007, 12:18
I heard an interesting rumour at work today.... Can anyone confirm or deny?

Apparently KW (a career progressor) is being sued by our old Manager for defamation of character. Apparently he had enough of her slagging him off so he's filed a lawsuit! Personally, I think it's BS but it sounds funny....How funny! I hope it is true, it would be the ultimate payback for that surly blonde.

In regard to our EBA... I also heard that BI is pushing for us to get 50% of the back-pay if we vote 'Yes'. Personally, I don't think it's going to get me across the line, but hey, who can say these days.

Mouse78: Interesting what you were saying about your friend at VB. I actually saw the 'DVD' that they did on the EBA (yes, some companies put out DVD's to their staff to get them to vote!!)... Was an interesting speil.

Anyway, have fun... see u in the skies.

regionalguy
3rd Aug 2007, 06:34
If BI is saying to vote yes, it would be seem to be different to what the union is saying

FAAA Newsletter said

As you are aware, in May this year the Association re-commenced discussions with Management on the proposed EBA.

These discussions included our survey results as to why you initially rejected the Agreement and the views of the Company following their separate road-shows. The Company has determined that a re-vote on the original proposal is appropriate. Members should note that re-submitting the Agreement for your further consideration is open to the employer. In addition, by way of correspondence, the following commitments to Eastern crew have been made, via correspondence to your Association. While we are confident that Eastern will honour these commitments, in exercising your right to vote it should be noted that these matters do not form part of the Agreement.

$750.00 Sign On bonus if the Agreement returns a Yes vote
Continuation of 4 roster requests per roster period
Opportunity for paired flying arrangements
Ability to request additional duties
Confirmation of not being required to sign on twice in one day
Home based rest rostered at minimum 11 hours but may reduce to 9 hours if delayed
Length of duty following an overnight will be rostered to max 10 hours but can extend with delays to 12 hours
Crew will not fly more than 30 flying hours in a 7 day period and no more than 100 flying hours in a 30 day period
(Note flying ours are chocks to chocks)
Continuation of JCC meetings with Association representatives

It is now over to you. The Association asks that all Eastern Flight Attendant’s take advantage of this opportunity and cast a vote, indicating your acceptance or otherwise of the Agreement before you.

Should the vote be returned in the negative, your Association representatives will call meetings of all members to discuss and consider the next step.

Their definately getting a NO vote from me !!!!

mouse78
3rd Aug 2007, 07:10
We all know that rumors half the time are just that! In two minds about the whole thing! And what really sucks is the fact that, in 12 months, IF we vote yes, we will commence negotiation another EBA! :confused:

I'm very confused about the whole thing! But I think NG is right when she said, we all have to have a really big think, on our own terms!

We work hard! And odds on, we will work even harder under a new EBA!

Scary times guys! We need to remember that if VB bring in the Ejets, we could be in some big trouble! Especially in VIC! How could we compete in a DHC 100!

Keep smiling!

FA1
5th Aug 2007, 09:04
Do you actually believe all that crap about being competitive?
Qantas dominates the industry! To be competitive, they need to look at boosting revenue and making profits, not by sucking dry the QANTASLINK flight attendants. Isn't our jobs bad and hard enough working minimum rest, on old aircrafts that are always breaking down and delaying us, working by ourselves, no trolleys, running up and back to the galley ever 2 seconds, we get no meals, and no breaks!

Then you hear how DH and NG want us to work our 152 hours. Well friends at Jetstar and Virgin do the same, the are always working upto MAX hours. And you know what, they get burnt out. They're cabin crew have an expectancy of about 3 years then they resign because are too burnt out. The same is going to happen to us!

Seriously, for those that are even considering voting yes, think twice about it, You have no idea about what changes are going to happen. You might think "yeah the pay is good and im helping the airline be more competitive, but think long term, think about our pilots rosters, and that we will be matching them, or if anything ours will be worse, because they can draft us without having to utilise reserves and we can be extended to work more hours! Also when was the last time the company did anything good for you, if you are doing the company a favour by making them more competitive what are they doing for you besides keeping your job? Also not to mention that the country is at a point where we have so many jobs available to us.

Fingers Crossed
5th Aug 2007, 09:08
^^^^ Couldn't agree more FA1 well said! Those EBA discussions are just trying to brain wash us into agreeing. It is increasingly obvious that the EBA offered is a joke and borders on being offensive. :*

mr-boo
5th Aug 2007, 21:41
did anyone receive that "EBA Pros and Cons" on email? is it pretty accurate?

FA1
5th Aug 2007, 23:16
Yeah. Remember to choose

NO - I do not approve the Agreement

regionalguy
6th Aug 2007, 06:57
For those of you that don't know, one of our colleagues and two techies were stood down for 4 weeks, yeah thats right 4 weeks for being fatigued and flying ! NG and TMcG have given her a formal warning for it. - This is no rumour it is a FACT.

Ask yourself this: If they're really concerned about fatigue and us flying with it, why are they asking us to increase day 2 hours after an o/nite and reduce our rest in home base ?

They're hypocritical and they're bullies.

overhere
6th Aug 2007, 06:59
FA1 you need to check your facts on your post regarding JQ & DJ, the hours you quoted are well out for at least one of those airlines, I can guarentee you that the average duty hours for one of those airlines you quoted is well, well, well below 152, nor is there any 3 year burnout period.

You also need to have a real think about the "Qantas dominates the industry" comment - if you truely believe that you are probably just as out of the loop as the people who want you to vote on the same EBA all over again - times are changin'!

And before you launch into a consipracy theory, I don't work for EAA but just thought it was worth people seeing a more realistic view!

Good luck with the EBA!

GalleyHag
6th Aug 2007, 08:34
regionalguy

How did the company know that the crew were flying fatigued? I dont understand how this could happen did they go over their duty hour limitations or something?

FA1
6th Aug 2007, 12:05
Pleae read my comment again. I said DJ and JQ "are always working up to MAX hours".

No comment was made on how many hours they do.

I said they do MAX hours. Which is between 130-140hours which is about 20 hours less than what is expected of us under the proposed agreement.

Qantas Groupe dominates Australian Aviation. They may not be the best airline but they are by far the most dominating.

TightSlot
6th Aug 2007, 12:43
Sigh!....

Another Australian thread where some of the contributors appear unfamiliar with the idea that it is possible to hold a discussion with somebody holding a different view without resorting to petty abuse and childish name-calling. Look no further than the absence of QF Cabin Crew discussions in this forum to see the results of prolonged bickering.

I'll make it simple: Keep this discussion thread courteous or you will get banned from PPRuNe and the thread will be closed.

mouse78
6th Aug 2007, 14:17
Thank you tightslot! I believe that people are getting far to emotional about the whole eba thing! I'm going through some tough stuff right now, and EEA are being awsome! I love my job, and respect those senior to me! That is something I have learned over the years. FA1, I understand your anger, but remember there are those who do have a differing opinion. I can say that I have seen both SSA & DJ rosters, and they are not scarey! As I said to all before, take the time and have a good read of the eba cover to cover! And then, and only then make your final decision, without prejiduce (?) spelling???

Cheers,

Mouse:ok:

regionalguy
6th Aug 2007, 21:39
GalleyHag,

They worked the first leg back to MEL from an overnight then got off (fatigued), with two legs to go. Company stance was they shouldn't have operated at all. If they had done that, the a/c and pax would have been stuck right where it was. God forbid someone (NG or TMcG) realise they did the right thing and got the a/c back to a base where more crew were available to operate the other two legs !!!

I guess its a lesson learned for EAA crew, if your fatigued, just get off and don't give a toss about the schedule, pax or company reputation. Doing the right thing just gets you disicplined and a letter of warning.:yuk:

FA1
6th Aug 2007, 22:28
I was stating facts not anger. Mouse I'm dissapointed with what you have to say, "I love my job, and respect those senior to me!" Seniority doesn't exist at EAA. It is time to get over your rank and treat everyone equally.

And I've read the EBA from cover to cover, and no I don't see why I should vote it in. If your going to vote it in then why bother paying union fees? The FAAA worked hard to get us those conditions in the current EBA, that was fees that was worth paying. If you accept these new conditions then what a waste of money and time it was fighting for the current EBA.

overhere
8th Aug 2007, 04:32
Obviously OVERHERE you don't work for EAA. Read my comment again. I said DJ and JQ "are always working upto MAX hours". I did not comment on how many hours they do, I said they do MAX hours! Which is between 130-140hours which is about 20hours less than what is expected of us under the proposed agreement.

And yes, everyone knows Qantas Groupe dominates Australian Aviation. Don't be such a d*#khead to disagree with that. They may not be the best airline but they are by far the most dominating.

Sorry FA1 but you weren't stating facts, you were probably repeating galley gossip (that maybe you though were facts) - I'll rephrase too, at one of the airlines you mentioned, the average duty hours are well below the published maximum hours for the crew, so a majority of the crew do not go near their maximum hours. They are not "always working max hours".

And I do disagree, Qantas load factors regionally, domestically & internationally are decreasing with enhanced competition - both from the low cost and high yield carriers. In turn load factors of major competitors (Rex/Skywest/Virgin Blue/Emirates etc) all all increasing on major QF routes. Add into this, during the next 12 months Tiger will start flying on high yield domestic trunk routes & Virgin Blue will have a fleet of Regional Jets that can operate into a majortiy of QF's regional airports, with greatly enhanced passenger comfort and flight times. Further Virgin will probably launch a international service on one of QF's 3 most profitable routes. Qantas's main domestic competitor will have a greatly increased regional & international feeder market before you know it.

Meanwhile, while Tiger, Virgin, Emirates etc are all have low base costs and new fleets, Qantas has an exceptionally high cost base, an aging fleet near replacement and an endless list of industrial/union challenges.

You don't dominate a market simply by having the most capacity - you dominate it by continued growth/market share, introducing innovative products, having high RPSK by having low cost/high yield and having engaged staff that provide high levels of customer service. QF doesn't have any of this. Just because you're the biggest, doesn't mean your the best/most successful or the dominator (just ask United, AA, BA or any of the high cost carriers that have bust since Sept11). I know it's hard to see the full picture sometimes as crew, but it's important for crew to note the changing dynamics.

Finally I'm continually embarrassed to work in the Australian airline industry when I read this board - especially the QF threads. The fact you had to call me names instead of enter an adult conversation with me clearly demostrates the continued downturn of the quality of people we employ within the industry. As people that are employed to provide exceptional customer service everyday, you'd think that you'd be able to have civil conversations online. I've been through multiple EBA votes in my time and never have I had to swear at people, intimidate them or even raise my voice at them to communicate the positives & negatives. While EBA's can be emotional times, there's still a need to maintain some professional dignity & adult behaviour - when you get on this forum and slag people off and speak in the way you do, you reflect poorly on the entire EAA team. I hope you take this as the constructive feedback it's meant to be and not an attack.

Fingers Crossed
8th Aug 2007, 05:33
Thanks Overhere

But now back to Eastern and the EBA issue. I am a bit worried that it will go through - which means I'll have to give up my other job - which means I lose alot of money and be pretty, well lets face, it drained.

Okay right now money isn't the best, but I really enjoy the job itself and the lifestyle it presents, I still get to socialise with friends and work another job and work at Eastern which I love also. :sad:

mr-boo
10th Aug 2007, 01:40
it will certainly be tough if people have to give up their second jobs particularly those who live in Sydney.

does anyone know when the vote results will be announced?

Candypants
10th Aug 2007, 23:21
***Good work to all on the unsuccessful EBA result.***
Surprise Surprise, it does not cease to amaze me that once again, an inferior offer of wages and conditions has been passed up by crew. Maybe this time our union will prove to work a little closer for OUR interests and at least have the decency to ask their PAYING members..(those paying their wages) exactly what is a fair and reasonable compromise for a much needed pay increase.
I am rather insulted that our company has the gaul to reproduce a very similar document and expect a yes vote..Has the union approached anyone for their views or ideas on what we are looking to achieve?
This is merely a question - if this has been done then good work... I seem to think it has not (not by majority) - or else the company would be aware well in advance that this was still not acceptable.
I am surprised to have been asked once in 4yrs what i might be interested in changing in our EBA. This is NOT satisfactory, we need to have more input. This is our career, our wage, and our lifestyle.
An expression from my point of view (and this may be mine only...), but I happen to love my job. I love those of you I have the opportunity to work with on a daily basis (ok, that may be stretching it..most of you:8:) and lets face it, none of us are Eastern flight attendants to make money.. If that was the case, we would be CS's for VB.
I believe that "WE" as a group are interested in both 'fair' and 'equitable' wages and conditions, and this is something that we need to working closely with MANAGEMENT and the FAAA in close consultation with all crew members in order to come to an acceptable compromise. This should have been done the FIRST time. At this time we all need to continue to stick together....The storm is coming..
xx
P.s - Being led requires the judgement and skills of a good LEADER. What a shame the Melbourne FAAA union rep has been discarded and not replaced?

happy2bfa
11th Aug 2007, 21:53
well said candypants:D

Lets hope now management will realise that what was offered was just too riduculous. At the end of the day all any of us want is to be treated fairly and without the ongoing discrimation to all regional staff in comparison to the rest of the QF group. I am so sick and tired of being referred to only being a regional employee. What the hell does that mean anyway?? Last time I looked our contribution to this airline outweighed any other division. Go figure. Still fail to see what it is that is so different to what the crew do on the jets??

All I want for us is that we are treated equally with equal base salary, allowances and DTA. Yeah Yeah I know I'm dreaming but honestly why should we not. If a budget carrier can pay their guys more than us, and operate as a budget carrier what are we then peanuts for the monkeys???

I have worked for mainline as well and I can honestly say I have never worked so hard on a old crappy 100/200 with a full load. Lets face it tell any mainliner what our day entails and they think we are stark raving mad!!!!

I am so proud to be working with such fantastic people at both syd & mel bases. I hope we continue to stick together in fighting for what is ethically right and fair.

I also hope now that this union we all continue to finance gets a wake up and starts doing what it actually is that we are paying them for. I want the union to be the union of old and help to achieve fair working conditions just as they had done for years prior. Lets face it there must have been some grunt in them at once stage otherwise we wouldn't have what we have today. I remember when the long haul crew fought for their rights and the union stood up to the plate then.

congratulations to all who have voted down this eba, and to those of you who did not I'm sure you had your reasons which you are entitled to and nobody has the right to critisise. I hope we all continue to stick together so achieve what at the end of the day should be fair and without prejudice.:ok:

regionalguy
13th Aug 2007, 05:23
I think its great we're all thinking about what we want the union to get us in the next EBA. I do have to say that I think we should all spend some time considering what we will do to get what we want. Does anyone really think we're going to get anything extra without a fight ??? If so faaaaantastic, but what if DH and NG don't budge, then what ?

I don't think there's much point turning up to another union meeting or filling in another survey if we don't know how far we're willing to go. Its a bit pointless telling the union to go and get us more money or more time off or whatever without being prepared to do something about it ourselves. Remember the union is only as strong as we are, me thinks its time for us to stand up and be counted.

crew_lj
17th Aug 2007, 03:04
Has anyone else heard of the possible strike action?

Candypants
17th Aug 2007, 11:51
I believe we are all adult enough to sit down together and put down on paper a proposal for the union to work with. I dont recall any such mention of ANY striking. This is a LAST RESORT industrial relations tool and need not even be brought up at this stage.
We all have jobs, we are all being paid as per the standing EBA, we are all receiving a yearly bonus, hence there is no reason whatsoever to jump straight into the deep end!
This is a process of negotiation. We dont need to fight with retaliation. It is not a winning situation. I for one would prefer for the company NOT to turn around and spite us with an AWA that we can't say no to.
Thanks for the comments Mr R. Guy (J.T) if you feel strongly and have the passion and IR knowledge to lead such negotiations in the "stand up to be counted" Im sure you would have support. Lets see if anyone puts there money where their mouth is. :)

Aviator_Oz78
18th Aug 2007, 11:06
Whats happening ppl's...things have quietened down a bit since the EBA was voted down...

Any info on NTL base possibility?

It will be interesting to see what happens when A380 comes to oz land in Oct (career progression wise).

regionalguy
19th Aug 2007, 02:13
Candypants you said earlier.

"At this time we all need to continue to stick together....The storm is coming.."
What are you proposing sticking together to mean ? What are we going to do in the storm ?

"I believe we are all adult enough to sit down together and put down on paper a proposal for the union to work with."
We've done that twice in survey's they have put out.

"This is a process of negotiation"
Yes it is and two years down the track we still don't have a new agreement.

"We all have jobs, we are all being paid as per the standing EBA, we are all receiving a yearly bonus, hence there is no reason whatsoever to jump straight into the deep end!"
The bonus is recognition for the success of the Qantas Group and is a completely separate thing. As for our standing EBA, our last pay rise was 3 years ago...... hardly the deep end in my opinion.

If everyone is happy to keep on keeping on with no changes then so be it, but given all the whinging that goes on, I do think we want changes. What we're prepared to do about getting the changes is where things get messy. It seems you want keep doing what we have been unsuccessfully doing for the last two years, where I'm open minded to our other options. We are not the only two at EAA with differing opinions on this as I'm sure you already know.

"Thanks for the comments Mr R. Guy (J.T)"
I'm not JT but your welcome to my comments anyway..... that's what pprune is for, posting comments. ;)

lfdlfp
19th Aug 2007, 04:31
reg, a few months ago you were getting your knickers in a twist over a meeting organized by your Melbourne colleagues, now you say we should "stand up and be counted". isn't that what they were doing then?

ps everyone may be fooled by who you may be, but i've figured it out, GW!

FA1
20th Aug 2007, 03:30
Now is the time to be clear and strong and about what is important to us for the next EBA negoitations. We must make it clear WE will not accept anything less than what we are currently working on.

Our current EBA would no doubt have been a hard battle to produce, and even though sometimes we think some of those conditions suck, it's better than what has been offered recently, so we should not accept anything less.

What we want offered is better working conditons, not worse!

We must not accept or allow our management to offer us anything less than what we are currently on. Why should we? We should not be undervalued for doing the same job.

We should not be focusing on what we want to 'give up' but focusing on what we want changed for our advantage. Remember its OUR Flight attendants working conditions we are discussing, not a management's plan or money saving scheme.

For those of you that aren't aware:

16 August 2007: Qantas today announced a record profit before tax of $1,032 million for the year ended 30 June 2007, a 53.8 per cent increase on the prior comparative year to 30 June 2006.
The Chairman of Qantas, Ms Margaret Jackson, said the net profit after tax of $720 million was also a record, and that the company had generated a return above the cost of capital invested in all the businesses.

Isn't it interesting, record profits, yet they claim we need to be more competitive. :D Yes Qantaslink does need to be more competitive with the recent changes to the aviation industry, but what is an airline industry without change.

Don't be fooled, being more competitive is not about sacraficing Flight Attendants working conditions, it's about the airlines productivity as a whole. Management should be looking at product and service, not about safety and security.

Also, I'm so over the whinging from negative fa's particularly from those been in the industry for a few years. We want you to stop it, we all know its bad, don't you have anything else going in your life you can talk about.

Also in regards to the A380, I heard QF will be hiring or opening bases overseas such as Thai crew, similar to JQI.

regionalguy
21st Aug 2007, 04:13
lfdlfp you said
reg, a few months ago you were getting your knickers in a twist over a meeting organized by your Melbourne colleagues, now you say we should "stand up and be counted". isn't that what they were doing then?

No actually it wasn't what they were doing then...... well maybe it was what they were trying to do but they didn't really pull that off did they ? Those meetings were bitch session discussions with bad IR advice being touted around by individuals who didn't know what they were talking about. That's why I wanted the union to have meetings in all bases, not just the crew orgainised one in Jan for MEL base only.

ps everyone may be fooled by who you may be, but i've figured it out, GW!

Jesus H Christ are we back at this again ? A childish guessing game of who's who in the zoo ? Poor GW copped it back in Jan from memory, along with BI and god knows who else........ Whatever :oh:

tea_coffee_me?
21st Aug 2007, 06:59
I will premise this by saying that I dont usually waste my time with this site! All the manipulative and incorrect information that is passed on by idiots who clearly cannot read and comprehend documents like an eba is an insult to everybody's intelligence!

To all who voted the eba down, i would like to inform you of what the company is planning to do to counter that..... forget being offered another eba, looks like they will leave us on what we are on currently... but before you cheer, heres the thing -

NTL flying is going back to BNE crew (sucked in MEL)
CFS, PQQ and TMW o/n's will be operated by SSA crew, not EAA crew... SYD crew will all be trained on the 400, starting next roster, we will take over the 400 flying to CBR - bring on the triple CBR's, we will be rostered alot closer to 152 hours than we are currently and the number of overnights will be greatly reduced so the company wont have to worry bout the 13hr/7hr rules.

If you thought things were going to be bad on the proposed eba, at least you were getting money for all the hours worked and had the choice to stop operating at 152 hours - our current eba does not provide for that luxury! More work for same $$$$ or less??? Well done to all those voting no!

mouse78
22nd Aug 2007, 12:48
OHHHKKKAAAYYYY!

Well some very interesting info in the last couple of days! For those who voted and made there choice, good for you! Maybe we should have a big think about all those who missed out on part time positions and significant pay rises!:ugh: Oh and please dont bother with the guessing game re. who's who! Its getting silly! Okay I will say that I love my job, and look forward to being dashtrash for many years to come! I have come to find that there are some very selfsish people around, and as they say, Karma is a :mad:!

Mouse:confused:

RootCheck
22nd Aug 2007, 21:07
Tea Coffee Me i think your post was rather harsh... scaring people is not what we should be doing we all should be working together. For all of you now is the time to stand together. I know some of you think you missed out on part time and all that but trust me you would be no better off. As for the company taking trips away and all that, they would of had that in the pipelines years ago they have not just decided that in 2 weeks because we voted an eba down. Qantaslink is a very changing company and really i don't think what ever they do we will be disadvantaged we will not just do cbr well i may be wrong but the company wants to make money and only triple cbrs arn't going to do it. I think well done for being a strong bunch of flighties and try and continue to stick together and really try not to slag everyone off we are a great bunch of people and lets just show the company what we are made of.
first and last ever post just wanted one say thanks

FA1
23rd Aug 2007, 08:28
"Maybe we should have a big think about all those who missed out on part time positions and significant pay rises!"

Mouse what is there to think about? We have all missed out on significant payrises in our base rate, however we should not have to sacrifice our current conditions just to get an increase which should have been introduced years ago. I don't know what your point is? Please explain!

To be honest, our contract of employment were for full time positions. Be patient if you want part time and wait for the opportunity. Be greatful that there is an opportunity. FYI the rejected EBA did not offer additional part time positions.

It is the same at Sunnies anyway. :cool:

LooDrop
27th Aug 2007, 11:52
Guys...

Have you heard yourselves carrying on on here? We are supposed to be a professional bunch of people and I like to think most of us are. However you are not coming across this way to the folks who read this thread (yeah I can hear you saying "who cares" etc)...well I for one do care.

What on earth is in the MEL crewroom water? Because I swear some of you guys are totally high on crack. :rolleyes:

Whilst we can all hide behind screen names and slag the crap out of people be it our management, union rep or even other crewmembers...this sort of rubbish isnt helpful to morale which we all know is usually at a low.

Hopefully some of the bad ju-ju in SYD will be going over to PER with this next progression batch, we dont need so much negativity in our happy family. When you get over it and you get burnt out, time to move on. :D

People voted Yes or No for different reasons....but at the end of the day the stronger majority spoke, lets pull our sticky apricot packet coated thumbs out of our asses and start doing something constructive.

Whoever wrote "down with SAA" in the overhead locker on TQT is a bloody tool, for a start SAA is South African Airways...I guess you were wanting to say Sunstate which is SSA. Thanks for making one of our aging 100's even more bombed out than what it already is! This sort of graffiti doesnt help your coworkers one bit. :=

We have such a great team at EAA, lets not spoil it. Just be glad that we dont have NT in BNE as our manager, the stories I have heard from SSA F/A's are shocking...we have got it good, that chick is NASTY.

LooDrop. xx

P.S...CandyPants...your'e hot. ;)

hostie3333
28th Aug 2007, 07:44
Hi Ladies,
l have be offered an inverview with Qantaslink in Canberra and would really love some info in the company, any advise, pay info, anything really would help.
Thanks in advance.;)

airline.girl
7th Sep 2007, 23:59
Firstly I want to apologise if there is a seperate forum for recruitment.

I have been invited to a recruitment day in Sydney on the 12th Sep, all the information about the venue address and what to bring etc. was on the website but because the applications have close you can no longer access that page! I am kicking myself for not printing it off the other day when I was looking at it.

So..... I was wondering if anyone going to the recruitment day could send me the information or if anyone knows if they sent you a confirmation email with all that information in it before the day?

im a bit stressed as I now don't even have an address of the venue just a vague idea of where it is!

thanks guys!

flybabyfly
10th Sep 2007, 00:25
That exact same thing has happened to me, but my interview is tommororw. I remember the time was 8.45, but thats all i remember, any help on address and what to bring would be very helpful. I think they have made a mistake. im worried now though.

Candypants
10th Sep 2007, 08:15
Ok guys,
What state is your interview in?
Do you not have a contact number?

Without this information I would assume it would be held at an Eastern or Sunstate office at or close to the airport. Arrive at the airport and ask any Qantas staff member in uniform for directions to the Qantaslink office..Explain to whoever is interviewing you the problem you've experienced online.. Hope this helps... If you can give me any more info tonight, I may be able to help further..