PDA

View Full Version : Airbus landing flap

Mulligan
16th Apr 2007, 00:42
I'm curious about landing flap setting at other companies.(319.320.321)
We are encouraged to use flap 3 for fuel conservation but most F/Os I fly with seem to use flap full regardless of how long the runway is. Generally they've been on the airplane longer than me and I have a theory that perhaps flap full was the only setting approved for landing at one time. Us pilots are pretty reactionary when it comes to new ideas! Some guys tell me that the cost in extra brakewear is higher than the fuel savings but I'm content to leave that sort of thing to the company tech heads.
I generally use flap 3 and idle reverse unless there's a reason not to. Short or slippery runway for instance. In addition to fuel savings, flap 3 gives better go around performance and seems to make the airplane more manageable in gusts. My history is the 737-200 and flap 30 unless flap 40 was necessary.
Having said the above, I will say that I use flap full in the 321 for the extra tailstrike protection.
So, what happens at your outfit? 3 or full...and why?

Mäx Reverse
16th Apr 2007, 06:00
At our company we are free to chosse between config 3 and config full under normal conditions. I prefer Full in this case.

I prefer 3 if there is the least bit of tubulence or gusts to be expexted as I find roll control more positiv.

If you operate at lower GWs and use Config 3, you might get to see the IDLE announciation on the E/WD more often than comfortable. If there is even a slight tailwind under these conditions, it gets even worse so I stick with FULL when we're light.

Happy Landings, MAX reverse

airseb
16th Apr 2007, 08:30
we use full normally. the only times we use flap 3 is in very turbulent weather and with high Xwind landings. the reason for this is the better aileron control especielly in the 321. in my (short) experience it seems like using reverse idle is becoming very normal.

seb

DBate
16th Apr 2007, 10:43
At my outit there is no regulation considering the landing flap setting - Flaps 3 and Full are both regular landing flap settings.

Generally, most of our pilots use flaps Full as landing flap setting.

Me - I prefer flaps Full on most landings, but use 3 in gusty/strong wind conditions and always when flying the A321 - regardless of the wind conditions, as I think it gives me a much better control compared to a flaps full landing.

The argument of tailstrike protection on the A321 is neglectable I think, as tests have proven that while the pitch difference between flaps 3 & flaps Full on the A319/320 is about 2.5° (~2.5° with flaps Full and ~5° with flaps 3), it is just marginal on the A321 (~2.5° compared to ~2.7°).