PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training In Malaysia! MFA,HMA or APFT?

nickz89
15th Apr 2007, 16:09
Im interested in taking a CPL/IR course in Malaysia.
But im a little confused on which training center i should go to.

I got my eye on MFA and HMA. Could u guys list down the Pros and Cons of both the training center & tell me which you think is better? thx!~:8

kwaiyai
17th Apr 2007, 17:25
Check the thread out on MFA Instructor exodus and draw your own conclusion lah,

MasterD
20th Apr 2007, 15:46
DON’T GO TO HMA or MFA I have had bad experiences with both schools I paid my fees in full 4 one of them in Sept being told I would start in November and I am still waiting for a place I have asked for my money back and I am still waiting I keep getting excuses next month next month. The other school is no better I was there in Dec and people are complaining that Malaysian airlines cadets have priority one person was ment to finish in Dec and there are still there now being told there will finish in July
Both schools are a BIG JOKE

nickz89
21st Apr 2007, 03:26
im guessing the one that u paid and didnt give u a place is MFA and the 1 with the MAS cadet pilots is HMA

am i right?

zakka
21st Apr 2007, 21:46
Don't go to APFT as well. There are evil people up there - and useless as well.

MasterD
22nd Apr 2007, 10:04
nickz89 No its the other way round HMA still has my money

nickz89
24th Apr 2007, 00:31
wow..looks like aviation training in malaysia sucks:mad: Lol.
but i heard the next intake for HMA will be in june
i wish ya all the best if u're still trying 2 get in

btw, MasterD are you a Malaysian?

ssangyongs
14th May 2007, 18:10
At first i thought schools in Malaysia are generally good but they sucks too...the other option is going to philippines but training in the phils will cost you RM 300k . and up to CPL only. i suggest u try new school in bintulu. heard that they will order VLJ for student training.

Garfs
16th May 2007, 08:31
i suggest u try new school in bintulu. heard that they will order VLJ for student training.

Ssangyongs

Any idea what this school in Bintulu is called?

Also, does anyone here have any experience of them?

Garfs

ssangyongs
16th May 2007, 13:43
try google "gulf flying school". it's located in bintulu airport. i still have their prospectus. total cost including food and accommodation is RM 189,000. just make it RM 200,000. for 15 months.

ohh here you go http://www.ggifa.com/

i paid about the same amount in MFA. HMA i dont know. but APFT is just about the same.

good luck with your flight training.

Garfs
16th May 2007, 15:45
Thanks Ssangyongs I shall take a look

Garfs

kwaiyai
19th May 2007, 17:57
Its very new. Newer than APFT, Bintulu should be nice and I hear good vibes about it. Not sure if they are flying yet though.

Garfs
20th May 2007, 21:55
Spoke to the school in Bintulu. Seemed pretty helpful over the phone, and as Ssangyongs says, around RM 200k for around 15 months.

I am also considering doing it in Australia if I can get the license converted easy enough.

ssangyongs
21st May 2007, 11:57
Getting conversion from australian CASA license to Malaysian DCA should not be as complex as obtaining JAA or FAA.

Pilot training is Australia can be considered one of the best, but you may have to add up a little on cost of living. But if you have the money, there's nothing to be loose considering you'll experience new culture altogether in Australia.

Happy making decisions!!

Garfs
21st May 2007, 12:59
I think Australia sounds rather tempting to me :D

More so if its not going to be a real nightmare converting my license into a Malaysian one, but I'll have to speak to the DCA about this before I do anything

Then theres the problem of finding that ever important first flying job :ok:

ssangyongs
21st May 2007, 21:20
getting employment as a private student seems the most arduous task when u completed the training. but there's some option such as:

instructor at local or overseas flying school
*spend extra minimum 10.5k us dollars to get a320 type rating
keep looking for a job or company who's willing to pay for your type rating
get yourself enrolled in university for a degree (my case)

i have a friend, a private student, spend a year being jobless. but now happily employed at firefly.

what makes us private student being put at the bottom of company's list is that we may have fATPL, MPL but dont have necessary type rating that will qualify us to be FO in most companies

Since that these companies already have their cadet pilot they wont bother looking at our CV unless they're desperate for pilots. if it's the case then they will pay for type rating or allow us to buy hours needed during line training for specific period of time before being fully employed. and if they pay of course it will come with service bond but hey at least we got a job right? thats the most important thing

i forget the name of this school but SQ sent their pilot there, it comes with complete rating for Lear Jet after graduation, when they go home, they only need to do conversion course on various type of jets SQ operates

some school may help you find job.

*minimum 10.5k us dollars is just for sim only. i'm not sure about check ride.

Garfs
21st May 2007, 22:48
Ssangyongs

So in your opinion, if you have the extra Money, a type rating is very worth it?

Thanks in Advance
Garfs

ssangyongs
22nd May 2007, 16:42
hang fATPL/MPL is half the journey of becoming a commercial pilot. having type rating on a/c like b737 or a320 is another half...

if u r having difficulties to finance your type rating u can approach companies like AK or MH.

if you can afford it, then it's even better. once u completed your check ride and type rated you'll immediately qualify to become FO in the aircraft you're rated with. some airlines require you to have minimums of 250 hrs on the a/c and some airlines doesnt mind it they will accept although your TT is 0.

having urself type rated adds more sweet to your CV because these companies know they dont need to fork out money to train you.

but different company different culture, i suggest you talk with friends or distance friends who work with AK or SQ about their employment policy.

Garfs
22nd May 2007, 17:48
Thanks Ssangyongs

You have been most helpful

Garfs

Always Moving
24th May 2007, 08:27
Every time you get a type rating you are screwing us all!
So please don't!
Soon enough to get a job we will have to pay the airlines (some people do!) and in the other hand if you are willing to take it once! who ever hire you is going to say hmmm this guy like it up the a... so let's give it to him!

Garfs
24th May 2007, 16:46
So even without a type rating is it a realistic prospect getting a job with the airlines then?

ssangyongs
24th May 2007, 18:42
yes. they gonna pay the type rating for you.. if they found you good enough to work with them.

usually a cadet pilot will have to sign up to 15 year service bond. type rating pilot maybe just 3-5 years. depends on equipment.

Garfs
24th May 2007, 19:58
if they found you good enough to work with them.

So what is it that makes us "good" in their eyes? Degree, life experience etc?

Thanks Again
Garfs

anito4a
24th May 2007, 22:48
So what is it that makes us "good" in their eyes? Degree, life experience etc?

Usually a sh!t load of hours, mate .. preferrably command hours.

Garfs
10th Jun 2007, 18:45
Don't go to APFT as well. There are evil people up there - and useless as well

Hi Zakka

What exactly do you mean by this, i.e. what have they done? Care to
elaborate?

Cheers
Garfs

nickz89
30th Jun 2007, 15:01
sorry for my inactivity guys..i almost signed up for a flying school in the phillippines..because they promised 500 flying hours..but they got fked up somehow..and changed the 500 to 200...so now im back 2 looking for a flying school localy..still confused on which school 2 go 2 tho..

thx 4 opening my eyes on the a/c type rating...wonder if any of the flying schools give rating for b777 or a340..lol..but i think air asia takes in S/O and they'll help u on the rating

zakka
1st Jul 2007, 23:31
Garfs

If you are a Malaysian citizen and wants to work in Malaysia it's not gonna make a big difference where you do your training. If you're not Malaysian, then don't bother getting a Malaysian license as it won't be worth much outside Malaysia unless you have 10000 hrs jet.

I don't know anything about the new school in Bintulu, but MFA, HMA and APFT are NOT impressive training organizations. MFA is a mess due to the principal being a 3000 year old Indian who has no clue about training standards, management etc, but yet he wants to control everything.
HMA has better equipment, overall nice setup, but again not managed very well. They have far too many students which means lower standards.
APFT is also a messy operation, and you have to stay away from a few evil people there:E

Maybe check out the school in Ipoh, don't have any info.

Of MFA, HMA and APFT, I would probably choose HMA as I think their future is more bright, but in the end it won't make a big difference. Just remember, that if you do flight training in Malaysia you'll have to have lots of self-dicipline to study a lot on your own as there are generally way too many students compared to instructors, and the overall standards are quite low.

Zakka

Garfs
2nd Jul 2007, 01:46
Zakka

Thanks for the reply

And yes I am Malaysian, just that I have spent many years away from Malaysia. I am hoping to return, get my license, and try my best to get a job flying in Malaysia.

I dont expect it to be easy but at least I'll be able to make a more informed decision now.

Thanks

nickz89
2nd Jul 2007, 07:02
zakka can u elaborate on "APFT is also a messy operation, and you have to stay away from a few evil people there"

what do u mean by that?

Garfs
2nd Jul 2007, 12:53
zakka can u elaborate on "APFT is also a messy operation, and you have to stay away from a few evil people there"

what do u mean by that?

Yes if you dont mind I'd also like to know.

Cheers
Garfs

roxar
2nd Jul 2007, 13:32
hi...
have u all heard about FS named KLIFA?..
i a lil bit confused about klifa..
are the stdent get the malaysian license or Oz license?...
huh...
garfs let take the license together...
:}

Garfs
2nd Jul 2007, 21:09
Haha ok

Go find the best school for us and let me know :)

roxar
2nd Jul 2007, 22:45
hehe...
i already sit for waac selection test(IQ test)..
quite difficult..
but maybe want to meet dca try to get my approval letter...
hehe...
so where wanna go garfs?..

zakka
2nd Jul 2007, 23:14
I am talking about the evil people that make it rain from November through February in that area:uhoh:

nickz89
3rd Jul 2007, 02:44
@zakka

LOL!!! for a sec i was thinking there were "evil" instructors or something there.. LoLz

im now confused between APFT and MFA...but it seems APFT is slightly better then MFA on the delays,management, etc. only thing is its at Khota Bahru..No clubs,No big Shopping malls,nth.

roxar
3rd Jul 2007, 12:19
hey,
nick89 that why u need to fly the aircraft frm KB to KL then u park at SZB for one hour then go to shopping complex...
:E

nickz89
3rd Jul 2007, 15:15
hahahaha! it'll be dman cool if we could do that! rofl!

btw roxar are u frm apft?

roxar
3rd Jul 2007, 20:45
hi,
lol..
nope im not from apft..
im from heaven..

prontomy
5th Jul 2007, 17:42
I know fist hand..most of HMA & MFA ground and flight instructors are good but the Management are a bunch of crooks and esp in HMA..no one has the guts to do or say anything against them cuz they land up driving taxi's the next day. Overall expect to be dissapointed and cheated of your dad's hard earned cash!

My advice, go abroad and return and do a conversion.

All schools are backed up and you can expect nothing less then 2 to 3 years to complete ATPL locally.

Good luck!.

Garfs
5th Jul 2007, 18:45
Thanks Prontomy.

Think thats what I am going to do

nickz89
6th Jul 2007, 02:37
I Heard alot of good things about APFT. High in discipline, Minimum delays, been graduating students with great results ever since it started. the only bad thing about it is its location. Its in Kelantan.. No big malls, clubs, etc.

I think i'll be going 2 APFT.I think the no big malls, clubs as a good thing. Nothing 2 distract me from studying :}

and btw the good ground instructors in MFA has already left..well thats what i heard

Ghostrider777
14th Jul 2007, 02:36
and btw the good ground instructors in MFA has already left..well thats what i heard

yup...left for APFT....so 1 more point for APFT....:D

john 549
18th Oct 2007, 01:03
come to the phils... better....:O

.air
29th Nov 2009, 09:14
How is KLIFA doing in 2009?