PDA

View Full Version : WSOp FILTER INTERVIEW

mightyman
15th Apr 2007, 15:44
ok, im guessing all of you are allready past the stage ov the filter interview, i have mine in a coupple of days, and i was wondering what sort of questions i will get? i have revised alot! about the different aircraft, weapons and opperations, what i havnt kept up to date with is current affairs.

could anybody tell me what to expect, how strict the interviewers are with your own knowledge and if what i have been told "just be enthusiastic!!" is valid info?

mightyman

mightyman
15th Apr 2007, 16:18
im not too fussed about my spelling on the internet mate, u understood every word didnt u? try not to be so petty and throw sum useful info my way yeh??

speeddial
15th Apr 2007, 16:36
Without making you want to feel bad, the person who will probably interview you soon is no doubt reading this topic right now.

Rev I. Tin
15th Apr 2007, 16:40
This is a wind-up, isn't it?

samuraimatt
15th Apr 2007, 17:20
Sorry about the above replys mighty. You will be asked some of the following questions.

1. When you look into a box of Cheerios, are you looking at Cheerios or doughnut seeds?

2. Why are American English words like 'color', 'favorite', 'savor', etc, missing the letter 'u'?

3. Why are they called 'Hot Dogs' when they are not even dog meat?

4 . Do you ever wonder if really dumb people get the full effect of alphabet soup?

and this question is the most important of all.........

If 'practice makes perfect' and 'nobodies perfect', why bother practicing?

Cmn2644
15th Apr 2007, 17:48
Ok, lets start again !!!!

Is this for a filter interview at an AFCO or a selection interview at OASC ?

At any rate, it will normally be divided into three parts. Your background, your service knowledge and then current affairs. The service knowledge will involve all things RAF, where we serve, aircraft types etc. If you dont know something .. say, dont try and BS your way out of a question. These guys are pros and can spot BS a mile away !!

In regards to current affairs, hopefully you have a basic knowledge of what is happening in the world. ie) Iraq, Afghan, etc. A favourite question is they will ask you to take them around the world over the last 12 months. Try and have a news item from each continent at least. Dont just focus on the really obvious ones like Iraq as if its obvious you know, they will move on. Start reading 'decent' newspapers and watching the news everyday until your interview.

Most importantly, dont have an attitude, be respectful and be honest. Failure to do so and it will be over before its begun. Good luck.

Jizman
16th Apr 2007, 06:12
When I went through OASC the first time one of the key things I remember being told before I went was that you should always asume you are being watched. One night there were a whole load of guys c***ing around in the candidates accomodation and I was in the Mess. None of those guys got through even though they were getting straight A's etc.

Also have an opinion and stick to it, doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, just have an opinion.

tiger26isfinals
16th Apr 2007, 10:56
Hi all

I had my filter interview a few months ago and will be going to OASC in the not to distant future.

Reference to the filter interview, current affairs and RAF knowledge are obvious and important ones but you will also need to know about your training (where will you be going, how long for, what will you be doing there, where will you go after that etc). Also brush up on your own past as daft as it sounds. Know dates of when you did what and other related items. I got asked alot of questions on NATO too. Be positive and if you do not know the answer, just tell them and move on. Do not give them bull as they will catch you out.

Last point, 90% of the people on here are willing to help. When they offer you advice, take it on board. Its up to you whether you use it or not but don't be arsey with them.

Good luck

Tiger

Terricolous Officer
20th Apr 2007, 15:20
Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

The more prepared you are the better. Know all about your initial and branch training, flying hours, aircraft, streams of WSOp and what aircraft you'll be flying in. If you speak like you type then you may be knocked for poor oral comms.

Don't litter your sentences with umm, err, like, you know and obviously. Don't say wiv instead of with, I done instead of I did, we was instead of we were etc etc. Poor oral grammar and fluency is the bane of the AFCO Filter Interviewers life and OASC!

lokiukuk
24th Apr 2007, 14:12
And never say RAF! R.A.F is ok

Wader2
24th Apr 2007, 14:25
Without knocking Terricolous Officer we was instead of we were is both common in Grimsby and actually old English.

If you hail from Grimsby, use was and note the board scribe scribing away, try and bring the conversation around to local gramatic usage. :)

talk_shy_tall_knight
24th Apr 2007, 15:25
With knocking Terricolous Officer

Don't spout tired cliches such as...Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.:ok:

Pontius Navigator
24th Apr 2007, 16:12
tstk,

but it works.

I am off to a conference tomorrow 'organised' by our green cousins.

Their prior planning means that we are scattered in at least 3 different locations across two counties so at least 2 of our parties will have to travel to the dinner they have organised.

Odd thing is, they have not told us where the dinner is.

If the person responsible presented that plan at OASC they would have been shown the door on day one!

Mal Drop
24th Apr 2007, 19:47
Innit?

That is all.

samuraimatt
24th Apr 2007, 20:14
local gramatic usage

Is gramtic a local word for local people.

wokkameister
24th Apr 2007, 20:25
I'd work on your attitude first, come to think of it....I'd work on your attitude second and third too!
No one owes you a living, so if you want advice, then I'd exercise a bit more tact and diplomacy.

See you around!

Pontius Navigator
24th Apr 2007, 21:39
Shemy, where are you in the system now?

Pontius Navigator
25th Apr 2007, 06:03
Shemy, good for you. .