PDA

View Full Version : BMI

blondechick
15th Apr 2007, 15:29
thinking of applying to bmi what do you all think of the company and the fact that they've just taken over bmed?

I ve not heard anthing bad bout them and you dont have an active thread on them so i thought i'd start one

So your thoughts and view on the company would be great.

Please help thanks!:ok: :ok:

Petc01
16th Apr 2007, 15:49
hey blondechick

bmi like any other airline has good and bad points. Depends on what you are looking for. It is a privately owned airline and is still considered a small airline. It is made up of bmi, bmibaby and bmi regional. It suits some people and not others.

bmi mainline flies mainly from LHR. It does domestic, European and Saudi Arabian flights from there. There is also a base in MAN that does domestic, European, US and Carribean flights. Main aircraft flown are the 320 family and 330.

When joining bmi, you will be doing mainline work which is domestic, charter and European flights. Usually the roster works out at 5 days on and 2 days off or 6 days on and 3 days off. Summer is busy and there is a considerable amount of charter work.

Night stopping varies from 2-8 nights per 4 week roster depending on lots of things. In summer, there are usually more night stops due to the charter work.

No definitive as yet as how the BMED routes will fit into the operations for bmi but it is expected that those mid haul routes will be absorbed into the bmi network by the Autumn.

Pay is relatively good as you get London Weighting if you work out of LHR but you will be expected to work hard for it. Go and have a look at www.flybmi.com (http://www.flybmi.com) for the company history and also recruitment information.

Good Luck

strawberryshortcake
20th Apr 2007, 20:08
Hi Blondechick,

I have just accepted a job with bmi and I can not wait to start!The company sounds great and all the staff and crew I met seemed to have been there along time which gave me a really good impression and all of them were incredibly friendly....I think you should go for it!

Loads of luck:ok:

skylite
22nd Apr 2007, 10:25
Does anyone here know how you get a position with bmi regional? I was thinking that the only way would be to apply for a base where regional aircraft are based at but I'm not sure.

Trishaturbulance
22nd Apr 2007, 12:50
I worked for the company for 10 months during 2005.

The only good bit for me were the crew. Lovely bunch of people at LHR and the base isn't too big so you do get to know quite a few people.

I have to disagree with the point above about money. Yes you get London weighting, but I'm now with Virgin and am earning the same as a junior now as what I earned as lowest ranking crew at bmi. Everyone says us Virgin crew are poorly paid, but at bmi I was being paid pretty much the same for working probably 20+ hours a week more. Work that one out! If you want to do shorthaul scheduled then go and work for easyjet and at least get a bit more money!

You do get worked very very hard. Crewing rule the roost and do whatever they want with you, and your roster never stays as published. I felt like I had no life outside work for the 10 months I was there, and for my 5/6 days on did little but sleep and work. I usually got 3 or 4 nightstops per month, however they were usually only about 12 hours rest so you didn't usually get much more out of them than a quick drink at the hotel bar and then bed.

I left in Nov '05, so things might have changed since then but judging by the unhappy faces I see on the car park bus I can't imagine they have.

As someone else said, the company doesn't suit everyone, so I just thought I'd give my view as someone who it didn't work out for.