PDA

View Full Version : Landaway Options

Over_Shoot
15th Apr 2007, 00:55
Hello all!

I have the chance next week to fly from the Blackpool area on a landaway. I am hoping to plan a trip to both the north and south (Wales/Lake District). Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for airfields to visit.

Looking at anywhere within about 120nm. Caernafon or Welshpool to the south and Carlisle to the north as possibilities.

Many thanks in advance

OS

Them thar hills
15th Apr 2007, 07:50
OS
Don't miss out on Yorkshire.
Bagby, Breighton, Sherburn come to mind.
You'll definitely get grub at Sherburn, Breighton will fix you up with a bacon sarni.
Bagby may do you a snack etc but I'd check before going. Bagby is easily best for scenery, not a flat strip but not by any means "difficult" . All are A/G radio rather than full ATC so be prepared for that.
Have fun !
TTH

tb10er
16th Apr 2007, 08:04
Super sceneary (above the Lakes).

DCS VOR nearby.

Long runway.

No landing fees (contribution welcome though).

Park the aircraft in the hotel car park. It certainily turns a few heads when you park next to a Ford Mondeo!:)

jdaley
16th Apr 2007, 12:05
In case it hadn't occurred - if you do go east think about where the sun will be when you return - coming back over the pennines into the sun with the levels of haze that are around at the moment is literally flying blind. I was heading back to liverpool from sherburn in october last year and had to 'tack' north/south to get back!

soay
16th Apr 2007, 17:33
Caernarfon makes a great day out. I flew there from Blackpool before Easter, and it's an easy run down the coast, with beautiful views all the way, including the airfield itself. A taxi into the walled town takes about 20 minutes and costs £15.

The Kirkbride trip also has spectacular views en-route, but the airfield is a bit barren, if cheap (£8) and friendly. However, you will not be welcome if you land without PPR.

FlyingForFun
16th Apr 2007, 20:33
Definitely agree about Caernarfon, and Kirkbride has a very good reputation (although I've never been there).

Surprised no one has mentioned the Isle of Man yet though.....

FFF
-----------------

Fishtailed
17th Apr 2007, 14:33
Huddersfield Crossland moor is an interesting small airfield for a landing if you are going east from Blackpool. Fully brief yourself before going in though, as the gradient can catch you out, (don't land on the nose wheel!)

pploony
17th Apr 2007, 15:18
Totally agree about Caernarfon,good Cafe/Restaurant,also has a small aviation museum,and stunning scenery en route.My home base is Sherburn,which also has a very good restaurant.Leicester is also good,and Sleap from memory too.My favourite is Sandtoft,brilliant food with massive portions!

Over_Shoot
17th Apr 2007, 21:53
Cheers for all the replies guys, I think I will be heading over to Caernarfon. I have time over the next few weeks to fly quite a lot so Kirkbride sounds good...I'll do that next week.

Many Thanks

OS